Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #1051
AnotherPrincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerIsleDisney
Anyone ever try running with a wig? I'm trying to decide whether to run in a Merida costume. I have a Northface running skirt and tank that are the perfect color and found $1 knee socks at Target (thanks for the idea Tinkeramy!) that match to use as arm sleeves. Question is whether I put on my daughter's Merida wig and a soft woven brown belt.... or just forget about a costume and go for comfort.
I don't think the costume has to hinge on whether you wear the wig. I know her hair color is one of her most striking features but I'm pretty sure there's been blonde snow whites and brunette cinderellas before. So if you don't want to wear the wig I think the rest of the costume will be enough. If you want to wear it, test it out on a run to see how you feel.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #1052
DISNEYWITHCHILDREN
Mouseketeer

I know if I want to finish I won't be able to stop. My plan is-finish this race. Then train for PHM 2014 with enough cushion that I can stop.
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #1053
Mommy to Two Princes
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerIsleDisney View Post
Anyone ever try running with a wig? I'm trying to decide whether to run in a Merida costume. I have a Northface running skirt and tank that are the perfect color and found $1 knee socks at Target (thanks for the idea Tinkeramy!) that match to use as arm sleeves. Question is whether I put on my daughter's Merida wig and a soft woven brown belt.... or just forget about a costume and go for comfort.
Do you have longer hair? If so, you could do a test run by wearing your own hair down when you run.

Even if you don't wear the wig, the costume sounds great!
Old 01-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #1054
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyaDelMar View Post
So my question is: Is this totally impractical for race day?

I'm worried I'll be stop/starting too much and will get in people's way. Are there any other 1:1 people out there who are planning on this method come February?
I had to cut way back to :30run/1:30walk intervals for a while returning form injury, but I like a nice 1:00/1:00 race interval, too. Will you be in people's way? Yep. But many others will be in your way. Disney races are just crowded like that so don't sweat it. To me, Disney races feel a lot more like driving a car than running; my peripheral vision is busy-busy and I check over my shoulder a lot to see who's coming up behind me, as well as a strong focus on the course ahead. You'll be among all manner of different intervals, so lots and lots of folks slowing up and speeding up. It's fun and neat when you discover your intervals have synced with someone next to or in front of you for a couple miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never to old View Post
I have shopping expo question. Is everything cash only or do they take credit cards? I can't go this year but my BF is going. I thought she might do some shopping for me if i ask real nice, lol.
I don't think I paid cash for anything at the TOT expo - all credit cards. That was at runDisney booth, Sparkle Skirts, iFitness, One More Mile. Oh, I did have to pay cash for my son's temporary tattoo at the W&D expo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy to Two Princes View Post
I'll be doing the same thing. I have to walk the first 1-2 miles -- no running. I have plantar fasciitis and heel spurs. I have to walk through it to get used to it enough to run (although the walk from the tent to the corral may suffice). Then, I rotate between a 1:1, 2:1 to 3:1 ratio.

My plan is to stay on the shoulder, so that I am out of the way of the people who are running.
You seriously just made my day and eased my nerves soooo much - thank you! I've been walking most of the first mile of my long runs because my ITBS acts up when my muscles are cold, and until this week, it's been chilly for this FL gal. I really thought I'd be all alone and sad, walking that first mile or so of the race!

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
Old 01-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #1055
jpaxton1118
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherPrincess

I don't think the costume has to hinge on whether you wear the wig. I know her hair color is one of her most striking features but I'm pretty sure there's been blonde snow whites and brunette cinderellas before. So if you don't want to wear the wig I think the rest of the costume will be enough. If you want to wear it, test it out on a run to see how you feel.
I will be a blonde Jasmine. I stressed over the fact I don't have the right hair color but I had to get over it- well actually I am still trying to get over it. Haha. I don't think I could wear a wig. It would be off 5 mins later.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #1056
Mommy to Two Princes
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
You seriously just made my day and eased my nerves soooo much - thank you! I've been walking most of the first mile of my long runs because my ITBS acts up when my muscles are cold, and until this week, it's been chilly for this FL gal. I really thought I'd be all alone and sad, walking that first mile or so of the race!
You did the same!!! I feel really stupid that I can't get into a good walk/jog rhythm until around mile 3. Unfortunately, that's about 1/4 way through the PHM.

My biggest fear is that I will get swept early becuase it looks like I am not keeping pace. I have short legs and I am not a fast walker. But, once I get into my rhythm, I'm pretty good to go.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #1057
cantwaitvaca09
DIS Veteran

Ear Bud Question

What is a good Ear Bud for running. Without speding a ton.
I don't have an IPOD,
I just use an MP3 Player. The ones I have are Sony brand and they suck.
I had my MP3 player in my pocket while cleaning the house yesterday
if I hit where they plug into the MP3 play the one ear would go out.
Thanks for your help ladies.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:48 PM   #1058
niclodn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M likes the mouse View Post
For those of you princesses that might be interested in the DL half, someone on the Dumbo Double dare thread posted a link they received today from Disney Visa that allows them to register right now.
I don't own one and I just registered both of us for the dumbo double dare to get our C2C medal!
I just registered for the DDD too! So, glad I won't have to wait in line at the Tink expo next weekend to do it now!
Old 01-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #1059
christinascreative
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaxton1118 View Post
I will be a blonde Jasmine. I stressed over the fact I don't have the right hair color but I had to get over it- well actually I am still trying to get over it. Haha. I don't think I could wear a wig. It would be off 5 mins later.
I'm a blond Ariel. There's no way I could do a wig. I've been stressing too...to the point of thinking of the color hairspray. I'm pretty sure that would run all over once I start sweating so I'm just going as/is

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantwaitvaca09 View Post
What is a good Ear Bud for running. Without speding a ton.
I don't have an IPOD,
I just use an MP3 Player. The ones I have are Sony brand and they suck.
I had my MP3 player in my pocket while cleaning the house yesterday
if I hit where they plug into the MP3 play the one ear would go out.
Thanks for your help ladies.
I just bought yurbuds at Walmart. They are 28 bucks there. I usually do earbuds from 5 below but my last ones crapped out and they were always falling out of my ears anyway. Needless to say, I've been using the yurbuds for a week- I LOVE them. They don't fall out or need to be adjusted while I'm running. The sound quality is great too!

[/img]
Old 01-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #1060
cantwaitvaca09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinascreative View Post
I'm a blond Ariel. There's no way I could do a wig. I've been stressing too...to the point of thinking of the color hairspray. I'm pretty sure that would run all over once I start sweating so I'm just going as/is

I just bought yurbuds at Walmart. They are 28 bucks there. I usually do earbuds from 5 below but my last ones crapped out and they were always falling out of my ears anyway. Needless to say, I've been using the yurbuds for a week- I LOVE them. They don't fall out or need to be adjusted while I'm running. The sound quality is great too!
Thanks I will check them out.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #1061
Jenn310
Mouseketeer

Anyone know of a place to buy a crown that I won't want to rip off my head 5 minutes into the race? LOL Comfort is key for me and I usually french braid my hair.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #1062
poohbear8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn310 View Post
Anyone know of a place to buy a crown that I won't want to rip off my head 5 minutes into the race? LOL Comfort is key for me and I usually french braid my hair.
I have seen people wear the foam crowns that have the elastic twisty band. They look like they would be ok to wear. I also saw a picture where they had them on a baseball hat also, so the crown was the front part of the hat, if that makes sense. I think they just wrapped it around the hat.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #1063
Gryhndmom
Coast to Coast 2013....PHM and DL Half

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy to Two Princes View Post
You did the same!!! I feel really stupid that I can't get into a good walk/jog rhythm until around mile 3. Unfortunately, that's about 1/4 way through the PHM.

My biggest fear is that I will get swept early becuase it looks like I am not keeping pace. I have short legs and I am not a fast walker. But, once I get into my rhythm, I'm pretty good to go.
Hubby and I did our very, very first 10 miles together and managed a 13:24 per mile pace with LOTS of walking. Took a mile for my shins to warm up and then my knee started hurting a tad. Really humid this morning in San Antonio so I can see needing tons more water to hydrate the day before and race day. And needing more than the one shot block I had !

Had my snazzy CW-X stability tights on today and MAN... Did it make recovery sooo much better. Well worth the money...thanks for the insight Princess V !

Best wishes to those running the Tink ! Would love to hear about the experience and how you think it will make Yor PHM race.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #1064
cantwaitvaca09
DIS Veteran

]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn310 View Post
I use a crown headband from Clair's.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #1065
cantwaitvaca09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryhndmom View Post
Hubby and I did our very, very first 10 miles together and managed a 13:24 per mile pace with LOTS of walking. Took a mile for my shins to warm up and then my knee started hurting a tad. Really humid this morning in San Antonio so I can see needing tons more water to hydrate the day before and race day. And needing more than the one shot block I had !

Had my snazzy CW-X stability tights on today and MAN... Did it make recovery sooo much better. Well worth the money...thanks for the insight Princess V !

Best wishes to those running the Tink ! Would love to hear about the experience and how you think it will make Yor PHM race.
Congrats on your run.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: