Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #271
poohbear8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMGONNABE40! View Post
I am planning on skipping the throw away clothes since I am doing the race retreat. I wonder if I should bring an old hoodie anyway.......
I'm doing the race retreat and I will probably bring a hoodie to toss. If I get there and don't need it, I figure I can offer it to another princess who is cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipaige2004 View Post
Does anyone run with custom orthodics? I just had my feet cast for them. My question is what to do for shoes...I currently run in stability shoes, but the orthodics should, in theory, do all of that correction for me so stability shoes may be too much of a good thing. My podiastrist said I could try running in the stability but I should probably move to neutral. What have others done? And in this case, did you just move to the neutral shoe of your normal brand or what? Confused!

Jodi
I have custom orthodics. I am finally seeing the Dr tomorrow and hope he will tell me I can start training again. I got them awhile back, but they caused more pain to my bunion (the main reason I got them) and I also was developing tendonitis in my other ankle. The dr sent them back to be adjusted, then told me to wait 3 weeks to adjust. I asked what shoes to wear them in and he told me to use the running shoes I was using, since they were more supportive than the cheap(er) Asics I bought for the a WDW trip in Oct. After a week, I switched to the Asics which have more cushion. The bunion pain was much better and the heel pain is almost gone.

SO, what should you do? I would wait several weeks before you get new running shoes. I would put them in the shoes you have now, but if you notice any new pains I would take them to the running store and ask them to see if they see any issues with the insoles. I did this the first round and they told me I would need a more cushion shoe and they saw some slippage. If you can't wear the running shoes comfortably, I would try to get a cheaper shoe to hold you over. I bought a pair at Kohl's. I don't think I would want to run long races with them, but they had more room in them so they weren't as tight on my feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sau418 View Post
DH just found out he has a work meeting on the 25th so he will have to leave me that morning to fly to St Louis. The good news is that he will be able to be with me Friday through Sunday. The bad news is I am alone on Monday and still planning to do the parks.

I don't mind doing a park alone, but the question is what park should I do? We were planning to do Epcot and have dinner at Le Cellier. I am going to keep that ressie until I definitely know I won't use it.
Go to whichever park you want to! Which one would you like to spend more time exploring? I have had several trips where I get some alone time and I love it! I have spent time at all of the parks alone, looking for the little details I usually miss when I am hurrying to a ride. Which ride would you like to do again and again? Go to that park. Which show would you like to see again? Consider these and you should find your answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmeghan View Post
In other news: I think I have posterior shin splints. I haven't run since Wednesday. I got fitted for inserts for my shoes, and I've been icing like crazy. My training plan starts this week with 3/3/4. Last week I did 2/2/2. The week before was 2/3/5k. Then, my last run before that was in October. FU skin cancer. Surgery made me take almost 3.5 weeks off, hence the long gap in running. I'm totally scared my pain won't go away. And either way, I am not ready for 4 miles!
Take it slow with your training. You can do this! I am just getting back in training too. When I first started training for my first race, I used to remind myself, "If I could go any slower, I was going too fast." My "jog" on the treadmill (I trained in Jan for the Feb 5k) was really a fast walk. Over time I was able to get it up to a faster walk. Go for 4, you will be able to do it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookinfletch View Post
Please add me to the list, as well! I'm training here in Durham, NC by myself. I have done training w/ Team In Training in the past, but this is the 1st time I've done it myself. Must say it's a totally different experience in my late 50's than it was in my early 40's!! Can't wait, though!!
Welcome! I lurk here more than I usually post, but this is a good bunch to come to for support and advice!

I'm still not on the list to run. Who do I need to send a PM to?
Old 12-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #272
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRS AR
A question for those with sports watches. My DD is trying to decide between a Garmin or Nike. Any opinions?
Garmin! I have had the 110 for a couple of years now and love it. Also, I've read a lot that the Nike doesn't seem to always be as accurate as the Garmin... But that's just what I've heard/read, not from personal experience.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #273
AnotherPrincess
DIS Veteran

So I ran my very first half on Saturday. Time sucked! More on that later. First off, for those looking for throw away clothing, I met a nice group of ladies who had ordered online something called sheddable shells. They were jackets with a zipper made of the same paper like material the disposable painter's suits are made of that you can get at places like Sherwin Williams. They said they were like $10 or something. I thought they were a great idea.

Now on to my half problem. I always train with Clif shot blocks. I always have the same pre run breakfast. No problems. At about mile 9 I had a major energy drop. I thought my blood sugar had dropped. I was popping the chews as fast as I could get them in. Nothing. They were no help. By mile 10 I was very dizzy and seeing spots. It was then that I remembered I had a Luna mini with me and got that down as fast as I could get it open. I felt better almost immediately. When the race was over I noticed my hat was VERY salt crusted, indicating I had lost WAY too much sodium even though I was drinking what I thought was plenty of electrolytes. Could this have been the cause of my energy drop? What can I do to avoid this in the future? My pace was fine for the first half of the race but the last 5k was downright embarrassing.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #274
MoonFaerie
DIS Veteran

Took my last Cipro tonight! SOOOOO glad! I have to take my mom in for surgery tomorrow, and Tues is my last day of class. Wed morning though, I'm hoping to get in an easy run/walk. Probably more walk than run, but it'll still be great to get back out there. I haven't gone running since 11/18. Fortunately, I'm not in a horrible position if it takes a while to ease back in. My longest run before was 7 miles, so I'm over halfway. And my marathon running friend insists that as long as I make it to 10 miles in training that I'll finish the half.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #275
Gryhndmom
Coast to Coast 2013....PHM and DL Half

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
Garmin! I have had the 110 for a couple of years now and love it. Also, I've read a lot that the Nike doesn't seem to always be as accurate as the Garmin... But that's just what I've heard/read, not from personal experience.
Hubby surprised me with a Garmin 10 (is it the same as the 110 ?) before our trip to Hawaii and tried it out for the first time yesterday. Like the fact it beeped after the end of every mile and let me know what the pace was for that mile. Lots of hills around the resort and avg 13:30 for 5.5. Still working on the lung/aerobic capacity would love to have the 11:00 min mi another princess posted here !!!
Old 12-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #276
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryhndmom View Post
Hubby surprised me with a Garmin 10 (is it the same as the 110 ?) before our trip to Hawaii and tried it out for the first time yesterday. Like the fact it beeped after the end of every mile and let me know what the pace was for that mile. Lots of hills around the resort and avg 13:30 for 5.5. Still working on the lung/aerobic capacity would love to have the 11:00 min mi another princess posted here !!!
From what I can tell, it's pretty much the same watch. There's a few things 110 has that 10 doesnt --- the biggest is battery life while in training mode.

I ran for 2.5 hrs yesterday with my 10 and the battery was really low at the end. I bought the 410 because it has a longer battery life- but I am eyeballing the 110 because it's the watch I like with the 10, but longer battery. A little bigger.

I don't have experience with the Nike. Just the Garmin- love it. (but think I need the extra battery life if I do the marathon next year)

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading a No Guilt Life with the help of her friends: Margaritas, Miles & the Mouse

Join me in my DietBet starting May 5! http://www.dietbetter.com/noguiltnogut

My No-Guilt Life
Old 12-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #277
MoonFaerie
DIS Veteran

Does anyone have any earbuds they love for running? I think I need to invest in some decent, sweat proof ones. I've gone through a couple pairs of the cheap ones already.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #278
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2

From what I can tell, it's pretty much the same watch. There's a few things 110 has that 10 doesnt --- the biggest is battery life while in training mode.

I ran for 2.5 hrs yesterday with my 10 and the battery was really low at the end. I bought the 410 because it has a longer battery life- but I am eyeballing the 110 because it's the watch I like with the 10, but longer battery. A little bigger.

I don't have experience with the Nike. Just the Garmin- love it. (but think I need the extra battery life if I do the marathon next year)
The Garmin forerunner 10 is supposed to last 5 (6?) hours in running mode. That's perfect for me for training for the half, but full marathoners would probably want a bigger battery. I love my 10!
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
Old 12-03-2012, 01:41 AM   #279
the_princess
DIS Veteran

Hi princesses
Is it possible to get Powerade drinks at the race retreat??? And is there anywhere on site that I can get it? I have never noticed if they are available at the hotel gift shops. I would like to have one when I wake up before the race and right before I run.
And also is Powerade available on the route or do they only serve water???

MY DISNEY PICTURES
:
Holiday time at DL Tour Dec'13: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3210059

WDW & WWOHP Dec '11: http://billeder.stepher.dk/#26.0

WDW & SW Feb '13: http://billeder.stepher.dk/#30.0

MY DISNEY STAYS:
July '03-DLP Dec '03-DLP NPBC Sep '04-DLP SL Sep '05-DLP HNY Mar '07-WDW Offside (Comfort Inn) Dec '07-DLP SF Feb '08-DLP SL Oct '08-WDW Renaissance Resort SeaWorld, AKL & POR May '09-DLP SL Dec '09-DLP HNY July '10-DLR DLH Feb '11-DLP DLH Dec'11-WDW POR August'12-DLP.Jan'13-DLP Chyenne Feb'13-WDW PORDec'13-DL Offsite
Old 12-03-2012, 02:05 AM   #280
bskelly07
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonFaerie View Post
Does anyone have any earbuds they love for running? I think I need to invest in some decent, sweat proof ones. I've gone through a couple pairs of the cheap ones already.
I use Bose with an accessory hook for inside the ear. They are super comfortable but I find myself adjusting them around mile 7-8 every so often from sweating etc. I think I spent 99 on them? But I have a friend who swears by yurbuds. They are about the same price but they do NOT come out of your ear if you accidentally tug on them, I tested that myself. I am big on music quality and base though, which is why I just stick with the Bose and didn't pick up a pair myself. Yurbuds has a pair specifically for running/high endurance activities. If the earbuds they send you don't fully fit properly, you take a photo of a quarter next to your ear and send it to them and they customize an earbud size for free. I believe you can get them at Best Buy, maybe Target for local stores.

Last edited by bskelly07; 12-03-2012 at 02:08 AM. Reason: addition of a sentence
Old 12-03-2012, 04:44 AM   #281
Bookwood
DIS Veteran

Powerade is the drink of choice at the Disney races (or at least all I've been to.) I usually buy a bottle in the food court and carry it thought the 1st half of the race with me as I tend to like a sip or 2 each mile- just to "wet my whistle" because I tend to have a really runny nose the first part of any run. (I also carry a hankie any time I run LOL)

So Yes you can get Powerade (unless they have changed since last year) along the course and at the resorts, even in the parks.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:21 AM   #282
EEsloveDis
Mouseketeer

My hips are KILLING me today. I seriously want to cry. I've been stretching and taking Aleve. Has anyone had issues with hip pain while training? If so, what did you do to help/prevent? I have been fine and then did my 7 mile run and can barely move today.
1986-1st trip~5/2006-Animal Kingdom~6/2008-Beach Club~10/2009-Contemporary~2/2010-Pop Century~6/2010-Star Wars Weekend French Quarter~12/2010-Marco Island~12/2011-Riverside~8/2012-Hilton Bonnet Creek~9/2012-Caribbean~10/2012-Hilton Downtown Disney~2/2013-Princess Half Marathon Hilton Bonnet Creek
Old 12-03-2012, 06:29 AM   #283
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEsloveDis View Post
My hips are KILLING me today. I seriously want to cry. I've been stretching and taking Aleve. Has anyone had issues with hip pain while training? If so, what did you do to help/prevent? I have been fine and then did my 7 mile run and can barely move today.
Foam roller- can use it everywhere, but I roll my hips too. It hurts like a... well, you know, but it feels better afterward. Roll every day. Even when it doesn't hurt!

And keep taking the Aleve and stretching (when you are warmed up- don't stretch cold)

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading a No Guilt Life with the help of her friends: Margaritas, Miles & the Mouse

Join me in my DietBet starting May 5! http://www.dietbetter.com/noguiltnogut

My No-Guilt Life
Old 12-03-2012, 08:38 AM   #284
flatlandcycle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherPrincess View Post
Now on to my half problem. I always train with Clif shot blocks. I always have the same pre run breakfast. No problems. At about mile 9 I had a major energy drop. I thought my blood sugar had dropped. I was popping the chews as fast as I could get them in. Nothing. They were no help. By mile 10 I was very dizzy and seeing spots. It was then that I remembered I had a Luna mini with me and got that down as fast as I could get it open. I felt better almost immediately. When the race was over I noticed my hat was VERY salt crusted, indicating I had lost WAY too much sodium even though I was drinking what I thought was plenty of electrolytes. Could this have been the cause of my energy drop? What can I do to avoid this in the future? My pace was fine for the first half of the race but the last 5k was downright embarrassing.
This sounds like the classic too much sugar and salt to water concentration in the gut. Your blood stream may have been dehydrated. Water was leaving your bloodstream to dilute the high concentrations of salt and sugar in your GI tract. I am not sure that having a bunch of sodium on your hat means you lost too much salt. It may mean at some point your body had too much salt and was eliminating it.

Thou shalt not mix electrolyte drinks and gels and blocks. Gels and blocks must be consumed with plain water. You need to keep the carbohydrate concentration near 6-8%. The salt concentration consumed should be similar to normal blood salt concentration. The blood vessels will allow the proper movement of salts and sugars when there is good osmotic balance in your gut, GI tract.

Once the competition has started you aren't magically going fix a muscle glycogen deficit by taking a super bar. Fueling should be done in the day(s) prior to the event.

http://aimsworldrunning.org/guidelin...eplacement.htm
http://www.andersenchiro.com/underst...placement.html
Old 12-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #285
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEsloveDis
So sorry ! :-( The best thing I do for my hips, is every day before getting out of bed i do a few stretches. I takes about 5-10 mins but it really saves me. I do the hip opening stretch on each side, 3 times. I'm going to look for directions online now and post them. It sounded crazy when I typed it out lol. Also I too recommend the foam roller. My PT place sold me mine, but Dick's and SA sell them as well. I foam roll twice a day. My SI joints are painful to the touch without that . Good luck!

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: