Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #2491
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbo_buddy View Post
it's funny. two weeks before marathon weekend the boards were lighting up about the weather. everyone was freaking out about the temperature.
Oh, I'm freaking out...on the inside! I REALLY am hoping for cool weather. I'm already in a sad state with the back problems and PF so I don't need warmth and humidity to slow me down any more!

Old 02-08-2013, 10:44 AM   #2492
mamacate
Half Crazy Princess 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeriejp View Post
Mamacate, At the full marathon we did not have the congestion like princess did! Its the same walk to the corralls. No port-a-potties with line across the road! but plenty of them between the waiting area and the corrals. Just better placed.
That's awesome! I'm glad they finally figured it out!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #2493
dumbo_buddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
Oh, I'm freaking out...on the inside! I REALLY am hoping for cool weather. I'm already in a sad state with the back problems and PF so I don't need warmth and humidity to slow me down any more!
not that it's going to help but....in november i hurt my knee really bad. like, couldn't walk for two weeks bad. i had PT and a cortisone shot and after 4 weeks i finally stopped limping. but i couldn't run for more than 15-30 seconds at a time. i think that perhaps the heat helped me a little. my knee was warmed up from the start rather than me going out in the cold and trying to get through the pain until it warmed up. i don't know. maybe it was just the adrenaline.

the point is, don't feel too down yet. you'll be surprised what your body and mind will let you do when the time comes. i really thought i was out for the race and still managed to finish with a smile on my face.

i hope those aches heal soon. like, now!
Old 02-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #2494
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_princess View Post
If I had a car, I would go at 2.30 as well. Someone pointed out that we have to be at the corrals around 5. That gives me 45 min at RR (Hopefully it only takes 45 min to walk to the start) Then I'll have time for a very quick breakfast, some stretching, potty and then go... I'll be stressed out before the race starts

I'm with you !!! I don't want to be stressed out before the race...really want to enjoy the race retreat and not have it be a stress retreat. Maybe even take a cab over or get on the first bus. Then you will have more time retreating before we head out to the corrals.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #2495
mamacate
Half Crazy Princess 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
(Bolding is mine) That would be my fear - at least you can see cars coming! I live on a golf course in FL and run the cart path regularly... I see gators hanging near and in the water hazards all the time.
LOL, I've thought about this. Thing is, I've NEVER seen a gator at Disney, and I always look for them because I've seen them all over Florida. There are a lot of places at Disney that seem like natural gator spots--little swampy areas by the highway with brush around, flood areas along roads. NOTHING. I've also never heard of anyone else seeing a gator. I suspect some sort of highly-professional animal control operation, sort of a Blackwater security for gators. Anyone else ever seen a gator at Disney? Anyone know how they pull this off?

It's true there are no sidewalks for part of it, but there's a big shoulder and a large grassy verge. I dunno. My biggest worry is Disney security, not gators or cars.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #2496
TiggerAllie
DIS Veteran

I've definitely seen gators in some of the "ponds" at the resorts (SSR, CSR). I do know that Disney will relocate them once they get past a certain size (which I know they've had to do at CSR).
Past Trips: (WDW) 12/13 BLT MVMCP, 10/13 SSR MNSSHP F&W, 5/13 AKL, 3/13 VWL F&G, 2/13 BCV PHM, 9/12 BWV TOTTM MNNSHP F&W, 3/12 SSR F&G, 2/12 BCV PHM, 10/11 CSR MNSSHP F&W, 3/11 AKVJ F&G, 10/10 Poly F&W MNSSHP, 12/09 SSR NYE, 10/09 VWL/WL F&W MNSSHP (PreTrip Report), 3/09 SSR, 10/08 SSR MNSSHP F&W, 6/08 SSR SWW, 11/07 VWL F&W MNSSHP, 6/07 SSR SWW, 12/06 WL/Poly MVMCP, 10/06 AKL MNSSHP, 8/06 BC USSSA-WS, 10/05 CSR MNSSHP Wilma, 2/05 ASSp, 6/03 offsite, 8/02 ASMu; (DL) 8/13 DGC DDD!, 8/12 DGC DLHM, 5/05 DLH, 6/02 offsite; (DCL, etc.) 8/13 Dream 4day-3day B2B & BLT, 1/13 Fantasy WC DFTW & BWV/BLT, 8/12 Wonder AK, 5/12 Dream 3day & BLT, 1/12 Wonder MR, 8/11 Dream Double-Dip & VBR, 1/11 Magic WC & CR; (DLP) 5/08 offsite
Childhood trips: (Me) 12/95 offsite, 5/87 offsite, 4/80 DL offsite; (DP) 7/90 GF, 4/88 CR, 11/80 offsite
Old 02-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #2497
Maddies Mama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot Princess View Post
It is in the program that there will be bus transportation from Shades of Green (woohoo!).
Thank you! (and everyone else with the info too ) I read through the entire program yesterday but I must have skipped straight over that part. It's a miracle we even got a room, I think someone may have canceled because last week there was no availability, then yesterday availability and now no availability again. Glad to not have to worry about transportation

Finished a full 13.1 in my practice costume, minus the socks, this morning. All systems are go! Not thrilled with how disgustingly sweaty my bandana gets, but it is what it is. Keeps sweat from running onto my face I guess. Anyone else dressing like Izzy from Jake & the Neverland Pirates?

Disney Cruises: Dream 12/11

Run Disney: 12/11 Castaway Cay 5k, 02/13 Princess 1/2 Marathon

Coming soon: Star Wars Rebel Challenge, Disneyland 01/15

Old 02-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #2498
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

I am wondering if I made my breakfast ADR way too early. From the time one crosses the finish line, how long will it take to get through to leave. All I plan to do is maybe get my medal engraved and pick up my goodies (ie. banana and water bottle...or whatever else they hand out to the runners) I had thought that I would be able to just walk through epcot to the international gateway... hadn't thought about a shower...and had not realized that we finish in the parking lot and thus would need a park ticket to do that when I made my ADR. I won't be checking a bag and plan to now take a taxi....
Old 02-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #2499
dis-happy
DIS Veteran

HELP! I've clicked on the links posted but can't figure out how to see my bib number. Am dying to know our corral start. What am I missing?
Old 02-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #2500
sherekhan
DLF>DNF>>DNS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacate View Post
LOL, I've thought about this. Thing is, I've NEVER seen a gator at Disney, and I always look for them because I've seen them all over Florida. There are a lot of places at Disney that seem like natural gator spots--little swampy areas by the highway with brush around, flood areas along roads. NOTHING. I've also never heard of anyone else seeing a gator. I suspect some sort of highly-professional animal control operation, sort of a Blackwater security for gators. Anyone else ever seen a gator at Disney? Anyone know how they pull this off?

It's true there are no sidewalks for part of it, but there's a big shoulder and a large grassy verge. I dunno. My biggest worry is Disney security, not gators or cars.
I guess I was saying the gator thing kind for for real and kind of for humor, but I've seen them before on property and I'm sure I will again. The last one I saw was in the water along side our boat in the Seven Seas Lagoon last year on the way to the Poly.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #2501
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
I am wondering if I made my breakfast ADR way too early. From the time one crosses the finish line, how long will it take to get through to leave. All I plan to do is maybe get my medal engraved and pick up my goodies (ie. banana and water bottle...or whatever else they hand out to the runners) I had thought that I would be able to just walk through epcot to the international gateway... hadn't thought about a shower...and had not realized that we finish in the parking lot and thus would need a park ticket to do that when I made my ADR. I won't be checking a bag and plan to now take a taxi....
I have never had my medal engraved but have read it take 30 min. Once over the finish line you could be at the resort buses in 10-15 min then how ever long to fill bus and leave. Not sure about a taxi after, I have read getting in and out of Epcot can be crazy. Depends where you are staying, if you have a park pass to burn, epcot is open (9am I think) and are staying at the Boardwalk area you could walk back. I
Personally, I am made a reservation for 11am. for brunch at Yacht club. I am in corral A, plan to run in 2hours. and am using Disney transportation. If it takes me longer to run or shower or whatever, I will take a taxi to brunch. This plan has worked for the past 4 years and it has taken me 2.5 hour to run from coral B and we have still made it to brunch.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #2502
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis-happy View Post
HELP! I've clicked on the links posted but can't figure out how to see my bib number. Am dying to know our corral start. What am I missing?
http://www.trackshack.com/disneysports/w13pr/verify.php

Old 02-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #2503
dis-happy
DIS Veteran

Thank you Joan4Mickey! I was up at 2 am trying to figure this out! YAY!
Old 02-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #2504
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacate View Post
Yep, I see them often (I'm a local regular, so I'm over there once a month on average.) But it's the ones you don't see that'll get ya! They're well-fed at WDW; plenty of wading birds to eat. So they're not likely to go after people and mostly keep to themselves under water or far up a bank, away from people. Also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggerAllie View Post
I do know that Disney will relocate them once they get past a certain size (which I know they've had to do at CSR).
^ This, exactly. When one's gotten too big, they relocate it. WDW has a large preserve area where too-big gators go. But really, anywhere in Florida that has water has a high chance of housing gators - ponds, lakes, canals, drainage ditches, pools... stay away from water edges!

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
Old 02-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #2505
flatlandcycle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
There is a good map of the finish line area in these final race instructions, page 2.
http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/rund...ss/HalfFRI.pdf

There are two ways in and out of this area. You must exit through the left side area and entrance with all the banners or the Race Transportation pickup area. The race transportation (Mears Buses) are boarded in the east-north-east corner of the Parking Lot (right side of the map.)

I am pretty sure that the taxis are at the normal taxi stand area, the opposite side of the monorail/Ticketing area from the race finish area. It may be faster to use race transportation to Boardwalk, Yacht Beach club, Swan Dolphin???

If you skip the ice/med tent and the post race photos you can get through the finish line cue in like 5-10 minutes.

Last edited by flatlandcycle; 02-08-2013 at 12:46 PM. Reason: . Y
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: