Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #2401
Tiresius
Mouseketeer

Any racers who have done Princess in the past know the layout of the corrals? I understand that anything could change, but I am curious about the placement and logistics from the time you get to the pre-race waiting area until the starting line gun. The only long Disney run I have done is TOT, and the corrals were placed side by side. Is this the same for Princess?

The reason I ask is that I am traveling with my Mom, we are both running, but we run at different paces so don't need to actually start/run together. However, I am in A and she is in B, and it would be really nice to at least wait together. At TOT, this would have been super simple. A and B corrals were side by side with just a simple fence in between, so even if we each waited in our own corral, we could just sit near the fences and talk/wait/hang out together.

However, I have no idea if this is the standard. Are the corrals usually placed this close together? Similar set-ups? Or are they ever front to back?

It also seems like people are talking about a rather long walk from the corrals to the start. When does this happen? Less than 20 min from the gun? 30 min? 45 min? An hour? At TOT, it seemed pretty quick, so if Mom and I had to split up when the corrals started walking, we would only be waiting for a short time for the actual start. But is this time much longer at the Princess? Would we be standing around alone for a really long time in separate corrals post-walk?

Looong question, probably simple answer. Just wondering if its worth me moving back to B to wait with her, or if we can reasonably wait together and still run from different corrals. Once we start, we won't see each other until the finish, and that's totally fine. So I am hesitant to give up my A placement and face more a crowded course, if there is a way to take advantage of the waiting time together.

Thoughts?
2013 - Aug/Sept: 5 days DL and Dumbo Double Dare. February: Quick weekend getaway to AoA and CBR for Princess Half Marathon Weekend 2012 - September: 5 days at ASMo for TOT 10 Miler and F&WF May: 7 Night Alaskan Cruise on the Disney Wonder 2011 - December: 1 Night at ASMo for MVMCP and CP, then 3 nights at RP for WWoHP and US May: 10 Nights at ASSp with DMom for EE5K (3rd Place!), Ep F&G, WPx2, Premium Plan (1 Night only), D23 Scavenger Hunt (32nd), Destination D. 2010 - June: 5 nights at ASSp for SWW and EE 5K Challenge (Solo) January: 5 very cold days with DMom and DSis (her first trip) for 1 night at POFQ, 1 night at AKL, 3 nights at ASSp. Mom ran the 5K, we swam in Epcot Aqua Seas, and did all 4 parks with only 2 day tixs. 2009 - August: Longest trip to date, 7 days at ASMu with my girlfriend. 2008 - September: Labor Day Solo trip at POP, first time free dining, 3 parks in 1 day and my first water park. October: MNSSHP X2 and Food and Wine Festival (Solo at ASMu). February: 3 day Solo trip at POP for P&PP and 2am in the MK (yeah EMH!). 2007 - November: 2 day Solo Trip at ASSp to see Cirque, AK, and DQ. December: DMom and Me at ASMu for Christmas with Dining and MVMCP. 2006 - May: 3 days at DL, solo (age 24), offsite. 2005 - January: 5 days at WDW, w/ DMom, POP Century. 2002 - 1 day at MK, w/ DFather, DSis (then 17), DBro (then 14)
Old 02-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #2402
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresius View Post
Any racers who have done Princess in the past know the layout of the corrals? I understand that anything could change, but I am curious about the placement and logistics from the time you get to the pre-race waiting area until the starting line gun. The only long Disney run I have done is TOT, and the corrals were placed side by side. Is this the same for Princess?

The reason I ask is that I am traveling with my Mom, we are both running, but we run at different paces so don't need to actually start/run together. However, I am in A and she is in B, and it would be really nice to at least wait together. At TOT, this would have been super simple. A and B corrals were side by side with just a simple fence in between, so even if we each waited in our own corral, we could just sit near the fences and talk/wait/hang out together.

However, I have no idea if this is the standard. Are the corrals usually placed this close together? Similar set-ups? Or are they ever front to back?

It also seems like people are talking about a rather long walk from the corrals to the start. When does this happen? Less than 20 min from the gun? 30 min? 45 min? An hour? At TOT, it seemed pretty quick, so if Mom and I had to split up when the corrals started walking, we would only be waiting for a short time for the actual start. But is this time much longer at the Princess? Would we be standing around alone for a really long time in separate corrals post-walk?

Looong question, probably simple answer. Just wondering if its worth me moving back to B to wait with her, or if we can reasonably wait together and still run from different corrals. Once we start, we won't see each other until the finish, and that's totally fine. So I am hesitant to give up my A placement and face more a crowded course, if there is a way to take advantage of the waiting time together.

Thoughts?
In the past B was behind A. so you could be in the back of A and your mom in the front of B and you would be next to each other. Separated by a plastic fence. There would still be about 5-7 min. apart after start.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #2403
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresius View Post

Thoughts?
I can answer you based on the 2011 PHM and the TOT...completely different. When I did the PHM, corralls were lined up front to back, and were not led to the start in order like they did for TOT. However I think they were separated with the same simple fencing so in theory if one of you could get to the very front of their corral and the other in the back, you all could still hang out together for a bit. As for that trek to the corrals...in past Disney races that I've been to, normally the DJ will start making announcements of when people can start heading over. One year, and I think it was Tink 2012, but I'm not sure, the DJ announced by corral..."anyone in A go ahead and head over..." and so on...I guess to maybe help with crowd flow. So, they'll either do that or just say "hey Princesses, you can start heading over at any time." My advice...don't delay. It really is a long slow walk in a herd of princesses.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #2404
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by newddmommie View Post
So i'm sure the answer is here somewhere, but i just wanted to check and make sure i understand the sweepers.. The pace time starts when the last runner crosses the start line right? So for example, you should pass mile 1 at or before 16 minutes after the last runner starts, right? I did 13.3 miles on friday at an average pace of 12:30 but the last two miles where really slow at around 17 to bring my pace to 12:30 but i'd still be okay right? Just slightly panicked about sweepers, all my other half marathons didn't have them. Thanks for the help ladies.

FYI: i'm in Corral C too
There's 7 min between corral starts. So the FIRST person in the last corral will start around 35 min behind you. Add another 2 min for the last person to get across the start line.

That gives you 37 extra minutes to add to your time. 247 total minutes of running to finish ahead of the sweepers- or an average of 18:50 per mile.

If you are running at a 12:30 pace you still have TONS of time to stop for pics if you chose.

You are golden! Enjoy your race!

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading a No Guilt Life with the help of her friends: Margaritas, Miles & the Mouse

My No-Guilt Life
Old 02-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #2405
AJackson09
Earning My Ears

Bib #

How do you all have your specific bib number? Should I have received an email or something, and if so, from who?

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #2406
Tiresius
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan4mickey View Post
In the past B was behind A. so you could be in the back of A and your mom in the front of B and you would be next to each other. Separated by a plastic fence. There would still be about 5-7 min. apart after start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
I can answer you based on the 2011 PHM and the TOT...completely different. When I did the PHM, corralls were lined up front to back, and were not led to the start in order like they did for TOT. However I think they were separated with the same simple fencing so in theory if one of you could get to the very front of their corral and the other in the back, you all could still hang out together for a bit. As for that trek to the corrals...in past Disney races that I've been to, normally the DJ will start making announcements of when people can start heading over. One year, and I think it was Tink 2012, but I'm not sure, the DJ announced by corral..."anyone in A go ahead and head over..." and so on...I guess to maybe help with crowd flow. So, they'll either do that or just say "hey Princesses, you can start heading over at any time." My advice...don't delay. It really is a long slow walk in a herd of princesses.
Hmm. Ok, Thanks. Drat, but thanks. If I am going to go all the way to the back of the corral to wait, not sure that really does me any good vs just moving back a corral. The TOT set-up was perfect, but if that's not going to be the case, I think I am just going to have to make a decision. Spend the time with Mom and be the nice kid but end up with a less-ideal placement, or take advantage of my placement, enjoy my own race, and let Mom fend for herself. It sounds so mean when I say it that way...
2013 - Aug/Sept: 5 days DL and Dumbo Double Dare. February: Quick weekend getaway to AoA and CBR for Princess Half Marathon Weekend 2012 - September: 5 days at ASMo for TOT 10 Miler and F&WF May: 7 Night Alaskan Cruise on the Disney Wonder 2011 - December: 1 Night at ASMo for MVMCP and CP, then 3 nights at RP for WWoHP and US May: 10 Nights at ASSp with DMom for EE5K (3rd Place!), Ep F&G, WPx2, Premium Plan (1 Night only), D23 Scavenger Hunt (32nd), Destination D. 2010 - June: 5 nights at ASSp for SWW and EE 5K Challenge (Solo) January: 5 very cold days with DMom and DSis (her first trip) for 1 night at POFQ, 1 night at AKL, 3 nights at ASSp. Mom ran the 5K, we swam in Epcot Aqua Seas, and did all 4 parks with only 2 day tixs. 2009 - August: Longest trip to date, 7 days at ASMu with my girlfriend. 2008 - September: Labor Day Solo trip at POP, first time free dining, 3 parks in 1 day and my first water park. October: MNSSHP X2 and Food and Wine Festival (Solo at ASMu). February: 3 day Solo trip at POP for P&PP and 2am in the MK (yeah EMH!). 2007 - November: 2 day Solo Trip at ASSp to see Cirque, AK, and DQ. December: DMom and Me at ASMu for Christmas with Dining and MVMCP. 2006 - May: 3 days at DL, solo (age 24), offsite. 2005 - January: 5 days at WDW, w/ DMom, POP Century. 2002 - 1 day at MK, w/ DFather, DSis (then 17), DBro (then 14)
Old 02-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #2407
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

I sent an email to the person who updated my finish time to see what he had put down since the finish tool on runners world had me with a finish time of less that what I had put at registration. I am impressed that I got such a quick response.

He explained that since a 10k is more than double that of a half - most people don't maintain that pace so he put me down for a pace greater than what I submitted would indicate. (2:30) Right on that edge of B... so this gives me something to shoot for next year! I mean... I already am faster than that time I submitted...so it seems a reasonable goal to have.

At least now I know that I don't have to bring a time to the expo...
Old 02-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #2408
tinkerbye
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
C for me.

C for me?!?!?!?!

Seriously, I don't understand how they came up with these placements - how on earth do I end up in C with a 2:45:00 estimate and no proof submitted of anything?

I guess I'm happy: less time waiting = less time for my muscles to tighten up in the cold. And I'll start waaaaay in the back, far behind all the men-folk. But I can't help but feel a bit perplexed...
I did the same thing with my team registration and am in C, I thought I would end up in E or F. I'll 'C' you in the very back of the corral.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #2409
Cripey
DIS Veteran

I was reading the race program and noticed that they didn't list the vendors this time...wonder why? There's a map, will all of the booths numbered like usual, just no list of what vendors are in those numbered booths. I already know my 2 favs were booted and won't be there, but I still wanted to see who would be there...to kind of decide if I even want to walk around or not after I get my stuff.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #2410
sunnygal041
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey
I was reading the race program and noticed that they didn't list the vendors this time...wonder why? There's a map, will all of the booths numbered like usual, just no list of what vendors are in those numbered booths. I already know my 2 favs were booted and won't be there, but I still wanted to see who would be there...to kind of decide if I even want to walk around or not after I get my stuff.
Yea, I saw that, too

Old 02-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #2411
flatlandcycle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
He explained that since a 10k is more than double that of a half - most people don't maintain that pace so he put me down for a pace greater than what I submitted would indicate. (2:30) Right on that edge of B... so this gives me something to shoot for next year! I mean... I already am faster than that time I submitted...so it seems a reasonable goal to have.

At least now I know that I don't have to bring a time to the expo...
I would take your best 10k, or longer, race finish printout to the expo, Runners Relations Booth. You stand a better than 50:50 chance of being moved to B. Runners World race time predictions do account for a slower pace at longer distances.

In my experience these folks are generous, not D to B but on the edge you are likely to get moved up. If you are shooting for 2:30, you are likely to get in with similar paced runners in corral B.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #2412
Lawyer Mommy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
C for me.

C for me?!?!?!?!

Seriously, I don't understand how they came up with these placements - how on earth do I end up in C with a 2:45:00 estimate and no proof submitted of anything?

I guess I'm happy: less time waiting = less time for my muscles to tighten up in the cold. And I'll start waaaaay in the back, far behind all the men-folk. But I can't help but feel a bit perplexed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbye View Post
I did the same thing with my team registration and am in C, I thought I would end up in E or F. I'll 'C' you in the very back of the corral.
I'll be "C-ing" you both there too!!! I also estimated a finish time of 2:45 but had no proof. I was so convinced that I would be put in H because of the lack of proof that I'm signed up to run a 10K the Sunday before the race to get proof! I guess the good news now is that if the weather is awful that day, I can skip that one and not worry. I'm happy in C.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #2413
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

One change at the WDW full this year and they did NOT do this the day before at the half...
They called for all in Corral A and B to go ...they were allowing all in the first two corrals to start the walk first. Makes sense so that they don't get the pile up and at the stop light about half way to corrals there was a split..A and B and I think a few other to the left and the others straight. I understand they continued to call corrals as time went on..B and C etc., etc.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #2414
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbye View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
Right? That was the one thing I really wanted, the vendor list! How am I to plot out my expo plan now?! Which two were booted?

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
Old 02-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #2415
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawyer Mommy View Post
I'll be "C-ing" you both there too!!! I also estimated a finish time of 2:45 but had no proof. I was so convinced that I would be put in H because of the lack of proof that I'm signed up to run a 10K the Sunday before the race to get proof! I guess the good news now is that if the weather is awful that day, I can skip that one and not worry. I'm happy in C.
I did the same thing - signed up for a 10K on Feb. 2 to keep me out of H. In the end, I opted to pass on the 10K to give my injuries more rest... I've been worrying that I'd regret that decision. Not a bit now!

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: