Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #2236
dumbo_buddy
DIS Veteran

I think I might be in B this year! Cool I'm injured so I think I will start in the back of the corral.

Friends of ours are a team and have a 30,800something bib number. Not sure what to tell them as far as what corral they are in. Looking forward to when they release the corral info!

Anyone staying at VWL??
Old 02-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #2237
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerIsleDisney View Post

I'm on the fence about taking a camera/iPhone. I won't stop for characters, but would like to take some "drive-by" photos. Then again, I think it might drive me crazy to try to run holding something. I don't want to be tempted to chuck my phone at mile 7! Any thoughts on running with a phone/camera?
I run with my Iphone...for my music, my Runkeeper, camera, etc. I put it either in a SPI belt or the ultimate easy storage answer...a Sparkle Skirt. Has a huge zippered pocket in the front waistband - large enough to easily fit the Iphone in an Otterbox or in any of the two huge,stretchy side thigh pockets of the compression shorts. Can't beat them. (No, I don't work for them!)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #2238
Bephus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonFaerie
With just over 2 weeks until I leave, I've got my 5K costume put together. Just have to wait for it all to arrive.
Very cool, but please don't try to run in a mask. Not only is it dangerous, it is not allowed on the course. Otherwise, best costume ever!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2013 Race Schedule:
Disney Marathon - 20th Anniversary
26.2 With Donna 1/2 Marathon
Princess 1/2 Marathon - Girl's Weekend!!!
Tour de Pain Extreme - It's Extremely Fun!! 10K, 1/2 Marathon and 5K in 24 hours
Dumbo Double Dare! Coast to Coast for my 35th Birthday
Savannah Rock'n Roll 1/2 Marathon
St Augustine 1/2 Marathon
Subaru Distance Classic 1/2 Marathon
Space Coast Marathon

Old 02-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #2239
sherekhan
DLF>DNF>>DNS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawyer Mommy View Post
The park isn't open yet, so no rides. They allow the spectators to come onto Main Street and watch, that's all.

I found this blog by a husband really helpful in terms of planning to watch and sent it to my DH to assist him in planning:
http://www.theworldofdeej.com/2011/0...rathon_07.html
That was good. This is my favorite line:
"Trying to spot a woman in a pink shirt when there are literally thousands of women passing in pink shirts proved to be stressful"
Old 02-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #2240
sherekhan
DLF>DNF>>DNS

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
Yes, Disney will put out a run tracking option, but the tracking is only in 5K splits- not by miles. So you would get 5K, 10K and 15K splits- but not notification that he was at mile 12 or 13 so you can get to finish to see him.

I think there is an iphone or possibly runtracker or some app you can use to track someone. I have NO idea the name but maybe google and see what you can find. Pretty sure I remember someone in past years talking about setting their husbands phone up at home to track her as she ran- and it wasn't through the Disney provided runtracker.

Maybe it was "find my phone" even? Not sure if it was something that basic or not!
I have my iphone and my ipad linked up. I'm planning having my phone strapped to my arm so I can use my running app and giving DH my ipad so that he can track exactly where I am on he map with the "Find my iphone" function.

I think this is going to be a lot more helpful to him as he'll be dragging my sleepy kids along with him and it would be sad if they missed me.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #2241
MoonFaerie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bephus View Post
Very cool, but please don't try to run in a mask. Not only is it dangerous, it is not allowed on the course. Otherwise, best costume ever!!

It's a hat. I never even considered running in a mask.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #2242
Bephus
DIS Veteran

For those looking for help with spectating -

1. TTC is easier to find family than MK and you can then catch a second time at GF. Have them take marathon transportation with you to start, kiss goodbye before you head to corral and take monorail to TTC. We arrive at TTC around mile 5ish. After they see you there, have them walk to the Poly and then to GF (there is a walkway that is clearly marked) to catch you after you leave MK. After they see you here they can hop on the monorail back to Epcot to the finish. If they have tickets (hoppers or you are planning on Epcot that day) have them cheer in the park. It is much easier to find your runner in the park than at the actual finish. If no passes, be prepared to not see them at the finish, it is PACKED and a very small area.

2. If you have iPhones, get Find my Friends app. It is free and will track you in real time as you run (if you run with your phone). DH and my mom found this invaluable during the marathon in January to find me 4 times on the course.

3. When the tracking gets up and going, the Facebook option seemed to really work well and was very quick but so was the texting. In last years I got texts hours later but this year they were on the ball. I finished in just under 5 hours this year so I was not super fast or anything.

2013 Race Schedule:
Tour de Pain Extreme - It's Extremely Fun!! 10K, 1/2 Marathon and 5K in 24 hours
Space Coast Marathon

Old 02-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #2243
Bephus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonFaerie

It's a hat. I never even considered running in a mask.
. Couldn't tell from the picture. Even more jealous of the costume!!!

2013 Race Schedule:
Space Coast Marathon

Old 02-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #2244
reagansmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherekhan View Post
I have my iphone and my ipad linked up. I'm planning having my phone strapped to my arm so I can use my running app and giving DH my ipad so that he can track exactly where I am on he map with the "Find my iphone" function.

I think this is going to be a lot more helpful to him as he'll be dragging my sleepy kids along with him and it would be sad if they missed me.
I know DH will not get up at 3:30 to take the bus to the starting corral. Does anyone know if they can walk over from Beach Club (if they skip seeing me at the castle)? We have AP, so tickets are not an issue.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #2245
sherekhan
DLF>DNF>>DNS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bephus View Post
For those looking for help with spectating -

1. TTC is easier to find family than MK and you can then catch a second time at GF. Have them take marathon transportation with you to start, kiss goodbye before you head to corral and take monorail to TTC. We arrive at TTC around mile 5ish. After they see you there, have them walk to the Poly and then to GF (there is a walkway that is clearly marked) to catch you after you leave MK. After they see you here they can hop on the monorail back to Epcot to the finish. If they have tickets (hoppers or you are planning on Epcot that day) have them cheer in the park. It is much easier to find your runner in the park than at the actual finish. If no passes, be prepared to not see them at the finish, it is PACKED and a very small area.
This is the best plan I've seen so far. My family can skip the start and see my at TTC. Thanks!
Old 02-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #2246
yulilin3
Disney Freak

Here's a link to Lasting Commemorative, it shows what the bibs will look like and the original artwork displays: http://www.lastingcommemoratives.com...-marathon-2013
Old 02-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #2247
jodipaige2004
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulilin3 View Post
Here's a link to Lasting Commemorative, it shows what the bibs will look like and the original artwork displays: http://www.lastingcommemoratives.com...-marathon-2013
Are these at the Expo? Do you order there?

Jodi
www.2princessesontherun.wordpress.com
www.facebook.com/2princessesontherun
Old 02-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #2248
JCH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherekhan View Post
This is the best plan I've seen so far. My family can skip the start and see my at TTC. Thanks!
That's what my husband does, too. Last year they even had a cart with coffee and pastries, so he was able to get a snack and coffee and be less cranky. Then we went over to the Polynesian and was able to get a cinnamon roll while waiting for me. Saw me with no problem there, then was able to make the finish. Don't even try for the start, as they won't see anything. It's just a mass of people.

More advice: have your family wear a bright shirt! It's MUCH easier for you to find them than for them to find you!

Completed Races: Halloween 5k 2011 Family Fiesta 5k 2012 Princess HM 2012/3 ToT 10 Miler 2012/3 WDW Half 2013 Dumbo Double Dare 2013!
WDW 10k/Enchanted 10K 2014
Old 02-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #2249
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulilin3 View Post
I would have liked the 5th year medal to be like the first four and then change to a new design. I may have considered getting the perfect princess display but not now.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #2250
Bephus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reagansmom

I know DH will not get up at 3:30 to take the bus to the starting corral. Does anyone know if they can walk over from Beach Club (if they skip seeing me at the castle)? We have AP, so tickets are not an issue.
The park does not open until 9 so if you are finishing after then, yes, they can walk through. If not, no. Bus service should restart for spectators around 7 so he can hop on a bus at the resort then that will take him to Epcot for the finish but will not get him to any other part of the course in time to see you.

2013 Race Schedule:
Space Coast Marathon

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: