Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #2191
3DisneyKids

I'm having an out-of-body experience
I'll have to experiment on DH's computer
I am so lovin' you right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmie D View Post
Well if you say that A starts at 100 or 101. does that mean that I am maybe the first runner up to elite? and if so, if I send my new time which is faster, do you think I could slip into the elite?

And yes, it can happen :P
No clue, sorry. I am not now, nor have I ever been, anywhere close to an elite runner. I'm not sure how one earns that status. I believe, though, that most elites are sponsored athletes and everything that goes along with that. Again, I don't know for sure since I consider myself to be in the "old, fat, and slow" category , but I think that being considered "elite" is based on more than just a finishing time? I think you have to be a known entity on the racing circuit.

Seriously, if you are that close to being an elite without ever having been professionally coached, you should get yourself a coach ASAP. With proper training, who knows what you could do!

Old 02-04-2013, 11:50 PM   #2192
Lynn5700
WOO HOO I will be there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmie D

Well if you say that A starts at 100 or 101. does that mean that I am maybe the first runner up to elite? and if so, if I send my new time which is faster, do you think I could slip into the elite?

What is your pace?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2013, 11:57 PM   #2193
3DisneyKids

I'm having an out-of-body experience
I'll have to experiment on DH's computer
I am so lovin' you right now

Quote:

From Runner's World Magazine...

Elite runners are those who have endorsements, (get paid to run instead of paying to run races) and have met the qualifying times at the Olympic Time Trials. For women running the Half Marathon distance, that means a finishing time of approximately 1:10 (depending on age).

Hope this helps!

Old 02-05-2013, 01:44 AM   #2194
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcagirl View Post
Would love to have the Expo open at 8:30am. What time do people start lining up to get in?
I know of someone who plans to line up at 7:30am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeptemberGirl View Post

Corrals - This matters a lot less than most people fear it does. If you really need to change it, go ahead. But remember that this a crowded course every year, and this year it's going to be especially so. This is not the race to PR. There will be fast runners and slow runners in every corral. This is the race to have fun with. Cheer other women on, take pics, smile.

My biggest piece of advice is don't change anything from now to race day. Don't decide this week to get new shoes. Don't overtrain. Don't drink gatorade during the race when you never did before. Yes, I have done two of these things and it wasn't pretty. Don't be me! And you will be fine.
I really need to just breathe and heed these points of your advice.....

I need to enjoy the race and not worry about the corral.

I need not overtrain.

I need to not get new shoes.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:35 AM   #2195
the_princess
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Getting in to the elite depends on the rules for being elite. Here in DK the elites are based on their time, which mean everyone can get there if they are fast enough. You don't have to be sponsored, pro or anything like that. But it might be different in the US.
You seem surprised about your number so is that because you didn't know that your time would put you in front? Then you should try and hand in the faster time and see where that puts you. If it's because you think RD made a mistake and your time isn't that fast, then I wouldn't do anything and just stay with that.
But as I said, if you just didn't know that your "slower" time would put you in front, call and ask what it takes to get into the elite... That would be so cool!

MY DISNEY PICTURES
:
Holiday time at DL Tour Dec'13: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3210059

WDW & WWOHP Dec '11: http://billeder.stepher.dk/#26.0

WDW & SW Feb '13: http://billeder.stepher.dk/#30.0

MY DISNEY STAYS:
July '03-DLP Dec '03-DLP NPBC Sep '04-DLP SL Sep '05-DLP HNY Mar '07-WDW Offside (Comfort Inn) Dec '07-DLP SF Feb '08-DLP SL Oct '08-WDW Renaissance Resort SeaWorld, AKL & POR May '09-DLP SL Dec '09-DLP HNY July '10-DLR DLH Feb '11-DLP DLH Dec'11-WDW POR August'12-DLP.Jan'13-DLP Chyenne Feb'13-WDW PORDec'13-DL Offsite
Old 02-05-2013, 05:39 AM   #2196
Southerngirl71
Mouseketeer

Is there a Disney photographer that takes official pictures at the end or on Main Street and if so, how does it work? Do you order later? I plan on bringing my camera but don't want to risk standing in time if the lines are long because our times are about a 14.5 mm and want to save any precious minutes we may have for a bathroom break.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:17 AM   #2197
flatlandcycle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southerngirl71 View Post
Is there a Disney photographer that takes official pictures at the end or on Main Street and if so, how does it work? Do you order later? I plan on bringing my camera but don't want to risk standing in time if the lines are long because our times are about a 14.5 mm and want to save any precious minutes we may have for a bathroom break.
(OOPs correction Brightroom) Marathonphoto is the official race photographer. There are a number of places along the course where you are likely to be photographed as you run. You are unlikely to be photographed at all points. There are places to stand in line if you want to be sure that your moment is captured. The bottom of the ramp coming out of the castle is popular. There is also a place to be photographed, after you finish, with your medal in hand. This company will email you a link to your photos, matched by your race number.

Last edited by flatlandcycle; 02-05-2013 at 09:36 AM. Reason: typo & correction
Old 02-05-2013, 06:22 AM   #2198
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

There is an official photographer to take castle shots. You run down Main, through Tomorrow, and back through FL. Then through the castle, take a right to the picture spots. There should be multiple photgs shooting pictures- usually goes pretty fast. You will have to wait, but not too crazy long.

Later the pictures will be sent to you through Marathonphoto attached to your Bib number. You can order them off the website at that time.

HTH!

FWIW on the Elite issue- I had confirmation from an Elite runner (man who does WDW Goofy) that they are NOT all sponsored or endorsed. Any uber fast person can qualify for Elite status at a Disney race. So bib 101- take your fastest time into runner relations and see where they place you! You may get to toe the line and start at the very front of the pack. Nice job!

He also said Elite status at WDW is slightly slower pace than other races. So you may be elite at WDW but not close to Elite somewhere else for example. All races are not set up the same.

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
Old 02-05-2013, 06:27 AM   #2199
AnotherPrincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DisneyKids

I clearly said I was not being nasty. It is just very strange for someone who is that fast and that close to being an elite runner to not know what it means. Just didn't make sense. Still doesn't. But hey, have a great race!
It's not "strange". All races do things differently and in my experience, Disney is more complicated than most, I think because we all tend to make it more complicated. I know someone in the 300s. She's super fast but this is her first half. She had no clue what bib numbers/corrals meant either. Being fast doesn't equate Disney race expert.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:48 AM   #2200
Mamasmurf227
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
There is an official photographer to take castle shots. You run down Main, through Tomorrow, and back through FL. Then through the castle, take a right to the picture spots. There should be multiple photgs shooting pictures- usually goes pretty fast. You will have to wait, but not too crazy long.
Thank you! This is the only absolute "must get" shot for me.

But, for the characters along the course---- How easy are they to see? For example, are they all on one side of the street? Or, will I just have to watch carefully and meander from one side to the other to stop at them all.

Also, looking at the character list for last year, some spots have many characters listed. Were all the characters grouped or were there some groups (ie Princes, Villans) and some separate?

Now that I've got bib number, costume coming together, decent mileage under my shoes.... time to obsess about pictures.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:25 AM   #2201
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn5700 View Post
But to answer your question...OMG, tons and tons to do after the race, I think. (1) Go to medical and get any ice or ibuprofen you need. (2) Go to the MASSAGE TENT! They do an AWESOME job. And it feels so so so good. $10 for 10 minutes and $20 for 20 minutes. So worth it. And they will usually go longer. I always sign up for 10 minutes and they always do at least 15 if not a full 20. (And the money goes to the National Kidney Foundation...everyone there is a volunteer from either a massage school or from physical therapy offices in the area.)
Have been at the ice tent twice - both after the WDW halfs two years in a row now. I'm on a streak. They are awesome there. They sit you down and bind those bags of ice to whatever ails you. Feels wonderful.

I was always curious about the massage tent. Did not know it was for a charity. I'm stopping there this time. I think it will work wonders on these old legs of mine.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #2202
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasmurf227 View Post
Thank you! This is the only absolute "must get" shot for me.

But, for the characters along the course---- How easy are they to see? For example, are they all on one side of the street? Or, will I just have to watch carefully and meander from one side to the other to stop at them all.

Also, looking at the character list for last year, some spots have many characters listed. Were all the characters grouped or were there some groups (ie Princes, Villans) and some separate?

Now that I've got bib number, costume coming together, decent mileage under my shoes.... time to obsess about pictures.
You'll be able to see them easily! Some people even take pictures from the side- not in the picture, just of the characters as they go by. Quick stop. Though I have seen some creative photo bombing go on as well.

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
Old 02-05-2013, 07:31 AM   #2203
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

With all this talk about bibs and corral placement, I need to make an annoucement that I know you've all been waiting for. I PR'd at the WDW half last month and...

.....I am happy to report that I WILL NOT be in the A group once again.

Back of the pack ladies...make room for me. I'm still back there with you!

Carry on...
Old 02-05-2013, 07:38 AM   #2204
Mamasmurf227
Mouseketeer

Next Question: Runner Tracking

I anticipate that I will finish before hubby. We have the Race Retreat, so I was planning to go there for a bit, but want to make sure I'm at the finish line to see hubby cross.

Is there a way to get real time runner updates on my phone so I know when he's hits certain mile markers?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #2205
cantwaitvaca09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeptemberGirl View Post
We were there at 8:30am last year, on Friday, and easily got the Dooney and Burke Princess bags, and all the other stuff we wanted. But if you don't really want one thing, you don't need to be there that early. That was the only year we did the early Friday am thing.
They did this for ME!! I was due into Orland at 9AM that day, My Team knew I really really really wanted the Dooney. But I got stuck in Chicago, so they all went to the expo to get me the bag.
I am so gratefull!! I did not get in until 6PM that night and they had not only my Disney PHM Dooney, but a beer and a shot waiting for me.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: