Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
freepixie
Tanoshi
Dale kept taking my napkin
And here I thought only the Yeti would eat people

Volunteering at Disney races

Ok I have a question for everyone who has volunteered at a Disney race. Why do you volunteer? Does Disney give you any perks for volunteering??

I'm just trying to gather ideas because at our local Turkey Trot yesterday, it was a complete and utter disaster of a race and the race leaders are saying it was from the lack of volunteers. While you can attribute some of that to the volunteers, a lot if it falls back on poor management. However I am trying to think up some better perks for the volunteers other than just getting a free shirt that just says "volunteer" on it!

Thanks!!

Tower of Terror Inaugural 10-Miler I like it HOT HOT HOT 2:10.08

Princess Half Marathon 2012 I DID IT!!! 2:58.06
freepixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

I have volunteered for Disney and non-Disney races, both big and small. So beyond the reason of "just giving back to the running community", I have gotten the occasional perk.

Disney will give you one day/one park entry if you volunteer for a specific number of hours over the course of a year (16 points=16 hours). For marathon weekend, they also give a one day/one park ticket to people who volunteer for the half or full RACE (not expo).

For races put on by one of my local running stores, they will give a graduated scale of goodies for volunteers. I have gotten free entry to a future race and merchandise discount to their stores. Here's a link to one of their volunteer pages.

http://martian.runningfitsites.com/s...volunteer.html

Honestly, the only time I have signed up to volunteer BECAUSE of perks, is for Disney. But depending on the race, it never hurts to dangle a carrot!

Maura

Last edited by jmasgat; 11-23-2012 at 09:31 AM.
jmasgat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-24-2012, 12:27 AM   #3
hungrygreenhippo
Mouseketeer

I've never volunteered at a Disney race, but have volunteered at other races and was the volunteer coordinator for a small race earlier this month organized by the local running club. I had a fairly easy time recruiting volunteers because the club encourages all members to volunteer for at least one race per year. I didn't offer the volunteers any perks up front, but surprised them the day of the race with a free pair of gloves with the race logo. The gloves were being sold to runners for $6.

In the past I haven't volunteered in order to get perks, although I considered it. There's a trail running series that just started here and this year if you volunteered at a race, then you got a free entry to another race in the series. It didn't work out for me this year, but I might do it in the future if they continue to have that offer.

We have a strong running community around here and my impression is that most people aren't volunteering because of the perks. It's either to support their fellow runners, or because they want to support the cause/organization that the race is raising money for. However if I'm on the fence about making the time commitment, I suppose a good perk might tip me over to the side of volunteering.

Aside from a shirt, you could give the volunteers the same goody bags as the runners, or if there's a raffle you can give the volunteers a raffle ticket. Maybe you could even hold a special raffle for a nice prize where you have to volunteer for a chance to win.

Not exactly related to perks, but if you're just trying to get more volunteers, you could try contacting the local high school to see if there are students who need to fulfill community service hours. I've noticed that at the Rock 'n' Roll races, and I think even the Disneyland races, there seem to be a lot of students at the expos and finish lines.
hungrygreenhippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:42 AM   #4
Bookwood
DIS Veteran

I have volunteered several times for whichever race I'm not running at Disney's Marathon Weekend. (If I do the half then I volunteer for the full and visa versa) however, Marathon weekend lost it's appeal to me a few years ago and I've been doing the Princess since, so no more volunteer opportunities.

I did it because I so appreciate the volunteers at my races! The one problem with volunteering at Disney (for me anyway because I don't have a vehicle) was transportation at the hour they want you to be to your volunteer station. Luckily I had friends the one year I really had to be there early that were also volunteering or I would have been up a creek getting to the volunteer check in.

Pam and DH Mike Wondering our way to Hawaii 10/14/2012

Pam and DH Mike (Retiring) through the Canal again 05/2015
Bookwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
rmgreenesq
Toadi Acceleratio Semper Absurda

My wife and I volunteer at Disney races in California. Since I'm usually running the race, I work the expo packet distribution booths and the pre-expo packet stuffing party. Disney treats its volunteers well. We are well fed, get a race crew T-shirt (which I'm more likely to wear than the race shirt) and given a one day/one park ticket.

Since I have an annual pass, my daughter uses the park ticket to bring a friend to Disneyland with us.

This year, I'm not running Tink (Running the WDW Half the week before and am chromosomally impaired for Tink) so i signed up to work the actual race. It should be interesting to be on the giving end of the cup.

Rick
rmgreenesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
Tiger Lily 03
Famous for my Potato Salad
Not nekid anymore ;-)
Flashed through and scooped up some beads in NawwwwLins

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by freepixie View Post
Ok I have a question for everyone who has volunteered at a Disney race. Why do you volunteer? Does Disney give you any perks for volunteering??

I'm just trying to gather ideas because at our local Turkey Trot yesterday, it was a complete and utter disaster of a race and the race leaders are saying it was from the lack of volunteers. While you can attribute some of that to the volunteers, a lot if it falls back on poor management. However I am trying to think up some better perks for the volunteers other than just getting a free shirt that just says "volunteer" on it!

Thanks!!
I do not have anything constructive to add to the perks question.

I just want to say what a great thing you are doing to help with your local event by finding a solution rather than complaining and walking away. Hope the next event is much better organized and supported.
Tiger Lily 03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: