Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
anthony2k7
DIS Veteran

The art of disney store

If I was to buy something semi pricey from the art of disney store in DTD, what are my options for getting it home? do they ship stuff, and if so is it likely to arrive in one piece etc?
anthony2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
Netty
A six foot palm from Wal-Mart would make a very festive Christmas tree
Especially if covered with FROG ornaments!

they do ship stuff, but it would probably cost alot to do it! and then you will probably have to pay the tax on this side of the pond on top as well
Register to remove

Old 07-17-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
Frances999
DIS Veteran

They do offer international shipping. When we were in Bath we often had them send items back home. However, it was expensive ($100+) and we ALWAYS got hit on the cutoms/import duties. I then discovered Magic of Disney Art and since they are a UK gallery I used to create a "shopping list" at Art of Disney then email it to them when I got home. They send the items from the UK and do free P&P, so it works out much cheaper (they were cheaper on a lot of items even before adding the shipping and customs!). They don't stock all of the offerings, but they do have most of the stuff (and even if they don't have it on their website they've managed to get it for me in the past).

Have fun!
Grand Floridian - 2 Bedroom Suite, Royal Palm Club (x1), RPC (x1), Garden View (x1)
Animal Kingdom Lodge - Savannah Concierge (x1)
Boardwalk Inn - Concierge (x1)
Yacht Club - Water View (x1)
Hard Rock Hotel - Garden View (x1), Club Level (x1)
Portofino Bay Hotel - Bay View (x1), Deluxe (x1) Trip Report
Disneyland Hotel Paris - Regular (x1), Castle Club Park View (x2) & Tinker Bell Suite (x1)
Newport Bay Club Paris - Admiral Floor (x1)
Grand Californian - Standard (x1) Concierge (x1)
Disneyland Hotel, California - Resort View (x1) Trip Report
Frances999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:26 AM   #4
Funky_dino
Mouseketeer

I was prepared to drop quite a bit of money there in Oct but was put off by having to ship it home.

Hopefully that site might have what I was looking at getting
Funky_dino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:13 AM   #5
Andrew Bichard
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netty View Post
they do ship stuff, but it would probably cost alot to do it! and then you will probably have to pay the tax on this side of the pond on top as well
Don't forget that VAT on 'works of art' is only 5%, not 15%.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...yType=document

Andrew
Andrew Bichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #6
T16GEM
I must have a funnel cake when I'm in Florida!
Confucious say: Friends don't let friends do AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances999 View Post
They do offer international shipping. When we were in Bath we often had them send items back home. However, it was expensive ($100+) and we ALWAYS got hit on the cutoms/import duties. I then discovered Magic of Disney Art and since they are a UK gallery I used to create a "shopping list" at Art of Disney then email it to them when I got home. They send the items from the UK and do free P&P, so it works out much cheaper (they were cheaper on a lot of items even before adding the shipping and customs!). They don't stock all of the offerings, but they do have most of the stuff (and even if they don't have it on their website they've managed to get it for me in the past).

Have fun!

That is a great site! I have just bookmarked it! Thanks for the link.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:08 AM   #7
oceanscape
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bichard View Post
Don't forget that VAT on 'works of art' is only 5%, not 15%.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...yType=document

Andrew
Actually, that's not the case for any of the art for sale in Disney; it applies only to really major antique works of art. The art sold by Disney is almost always machine-produced (even when you buy a hand painted piece the framing or glossing is done by machine). Thus, the normal 15% VAT rate will apply. I've bought very many items from the US before and have never been able to secure the 5% rate, it's not easy at all and the customs officials/office is VERY difficult to argue with and VERY reluctant to offer the reduced VAT rate.

Quote:
"Works of art" shall mean:

pictures, collages and similar decorative plaques, paintings and drawings, executed entirely by hand by the artist, other than plans and drawings for architectural, engineering, industrial, commercial, topographical or similar purposes, hand-decorated manufactured articles, theatrical scenery, studio back cloths or the like of painted canvas (Tariff heading 9701)

original engravings, prints and lithographs, being impressions produced in limited numbers directly in black and white or in colour of one or of several plates executed entirely by hand by the artist, irrespective of the process or of the material employed by him, but not including any mechanical or photomechanical process (Tariff code 9702 00 00)

original sculptures and statuary, in any material, provided that they are executed entirely by the artist; sculpture casts the production of which is limited to eight copies and supervised by the artist or his successors in title (Tariff code 9703 00 00)

tapestries (Tariff code 5805 00 00) and wall textiles made by hand from original designs provided by artists provided that there are not more than eight copies of each

individual pieces of ceramics executed entirely by the artist and signed by him
enamels on copper, executed entirely by hand, limited to eight numbered copies bearing the signature of the artist or the studio, excluding articles of jewellery and goldsmiths’ and silversmiths’ wares
photographs taken by the artist, printed by him or under his supervision, signed and numbered and limited to 30 copies, all sizes and mounts included.
I've also used Magic of Disney Art with no problems and been very impressed with the service
oceanscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #8
Brissymum
Earning My Ears

Angry

First off let me say I know this thread is 3 years old. It come up when I googled the 'magic of Disney art UK'.

My recent experience with them has been a terrible one. I placed an order with them (after checking first that the piece I wanted was still available ) 51 DAYS ago. At the time of order, of course they take their money. They will not answer any of my emails asking what is happening with my order, and there is no phone number listed on their website. Don't know what has happened in the last few years there, but this is one of my worst online shopping experiences. DO NOT BUY FROM THEM!!!

Hopefully other people will google this company before they buy from them and see what appalling customer service they offer. BUYER BEWARE

(Just to be clear, I'm not talking about the Disney store, I'm talking about the magic of Disney art UK)
Brissymum is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: