Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #991
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

I would loooooooooooooooooooooove to try parasailing! It looks awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm a bit of an adrenaline junkie though, and I can understand how it might not be for everyone.
ronnmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #992
luvslikepi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnmel View Post
I would loooooooooooooooooooooove to try parasailing! It looks awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm a bit of an adrenaline junkie though, and I can understand how it might not be for everyone.
Oh goodness all this talk of parasailing has me kind of wanting to try when we reach Castaway Cay. I love coasters but I tried a Sky Coaster at our local amusement park on a dare from my husband and it was the most terrifying thing I've ever done. Being stuck way up in the air just makes me nervous now. Kudos to the para sailors.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
luvslikepi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #993
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Your parasailing photos were very timely. Drew and Timmy say they are going to do it in Sanibel. I think I'll stay down and take the photos. The toe dip looks pretty cool though!
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #994
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

Parasailing is easy and wonderful - I recommend anyone not terrified of heights do it! It was so quiet and peaceful, and the views are lovely. Very slow ascent and decent as well, and once you are off the boat the jarring of the waves ceases. I felt very safe and happy (and I am scared of heights mind you so it isnt a deal breaker!). It was reassuring that the way they get you down is by slowing the boat down. For some reason I was worried the line would break and away I would go, but all that would happen is you gently glide to the water (and are wearing life jackets). What else could there be to be afraid of?
Old 04-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #995
Kathy Jetson
DIS Veteran

I would be to scared to go parasailing. I'm afraid of heights and I would be to scared that I would just go down in the water and the sail would be on top of me and drown me

That's to bad the island was so brown but at least it wasn't your first time there. I can't believe you passed up that cutie Jack. He looked GOOD!
Kathy Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:49 AM   #996
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
I am torn. It looks neat and absolutely horrifying at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvslikepi View Post
Oh goodness all this talk of parasailing has me kind of wanting to try when we reach Castaway Cay. I love coasters but I tried a Sky Coaster at our local amusement park on a dare from my husband and it was the most terrifying thing I've ever done. Being stuck way up in the air just makes me nervous now. Kudos to the para sailors.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
I am not fond of heights either and that is the main thing that keeps me from doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Your parasailing photos were very timely. Drew and Timmy say they are going to do it in Sanibel. I think I'll stay down and take the photos. The toe dip looks pretty cool though!
Oh wow. Yes, I want to see your pictures of that. I am not a big fan of heights. Now a days, one of the reasons I don't do big coasters is because of the going up part. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaDame View Post
Parasailing is easy and wonderful - I recommend anyone not terrified of heights do it! It was so quiet and peaceful, and the views are lovely. Very slow ascent and decent as well, and once you are off the boat the jarring of the waves ceases. I felt very safe and happy (and I am scared of heights mind you so it isnt a deal breaker!). It was reassuring that the way they get you down is by slowing the boat down. For some reason I was worried the line would break and away I would go, but all that would happen is you gently glide to the water (and are wearing life jackets). What else could there be to be afraid of?
Good to know. I am afraid of heights. Some days I can get past it, but what if that day isn't one of them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Jetson View Post
I would be to scared to go parasailing. I'm afraid of heights and I would be to scared that I would just go down in the water and the sail would be on top of me and drown me

That's to bad the island was so brown but at least it wasn't your first time there. I can't believe you passed up that cutie Jack. He looked GOOD!
it does look scary, but I am still intrigued.
I am more worry about the height factor than anything else. Now you just gave me something else to thing about. LOL
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #997
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

We now are heading to our excursion. This was something Claire had REALLY been looking for. Over a year ago I got a Castaway Cay Poster that showed snorkeling. Claire asked about it and I told her that they had a few options of snorkeling on the island. She was sold and said she must try it. After doing some research, we decided that it needed to be something easy for Claire since this was her first time. We also thought the stingray feeding looked neat and that offered snorkeling after it. We went with this. I had read mixed reviews on it. Most said it was neat, but not something they would do more than once. I will tell you now, I agree with that review.
When it came time to make our excursions online, I picked ours out right away. Gail was undecided, but I let her know the things we were planning on doing. She ended up going with the same things. She figured that Alexis would enjoy this as well.

So we were heading to do the Castaway Ray Stingray Adventure. Now you know me. I took pictures along the way, of course.

Letís just say there wasnít much time for slacking. Gail got my motherís genes. If you need to be somewhere at a certain time, you are not going to waste time getting there. Gail was doing a major power walk and it took all I had to keep up with her and take pictures at the same time.

Notice Gailís bag? She got that gene from my Mom too. She can pack a bag! I swear you can say, ďI need a razor blade, an onion and some ropeĒ and Gail would have all of those things in her bag. If she didnít, my Mother would. LOL!

A look back at the ship and the jet skis.

We arrived!

We were given our gear and told to take a seat on a bench.
Alexis modeled the look for us.

I think we made a quick dash to the bathrooms before it started as well.
We settled in then and waited for the class to start.

The class was informative and since I knew next to nothing about stingrays, I found it interesting.

Soon it was time to head out to feed the rays. We picked a table to feed them and watched them swim around. I believe we had the 2nd feeding of the day, so they were still pretty hungry and they were swarming the area.

We were instructed how to hold the food and were to place our hand. The girls were a little iffy about this. We also were told they might slightly bite, but they donít have teeth, so it wouldnít hurt.

We got comfortable by petting them first. They felt so weird. Very soft and velvety. I think Rob and I took the plunge first and fed them.

What a weird feeling that was. It was like a suction or vacuum. Very strange. And then I was the first Ö.yep to get bitten! I had my knuckle slightly bent and when the ray came to take the food he got my knuckle as well. I screeched out of surprise and yelled ďI got bitten!Ē Not a smart thing to do around kidís who all had a look of horror on their faces. I quickly said, ďIt didnít hurt, just surprised me and felt weird.Ē Luckily it didnít scare anyone off.

Over the course of the feed, Rob also got bitten. He said he had his knuckle bent as well and agreed it was more shocking than anything.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #998
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

After we filled the bellies of the rays, we then were allowed to go and snorkel with them. We instructed the girls on what to do and how to breathe. Both were instant pros. I was really impressed, amazed and proud at how fast they caught on to this.
Now for the down side Öpretty much all you will see here are stingrays and a few random fish. Itís not an exciting snorkeling spot at all. The girls enjoyed it as they knew no difference, but we all have snorkeled before and got bored with it fast.

My little fish.

A few adjustments.

And then we have to have a picture of us looking our best.

Thereís Rob!

Rob had found a few fish, so we headed over his way.

Swamp Monster Claire.

A shell!

Claire once again.

We were instructed that when you walk around you had to shuffle your feet so you didnít directly step on a ray as they like to bury themselves in the sand.

This fence is around the area to keep the rays inside from what I was told. I heard it broke during the hurricane, which is why the cruise before us didnít offer this excursion. They had to round up the rays again and get the fence repaired.

Gailísí family.

Alexis found a shell.

I had applied rainex to my camera lens before the Sept. cruise, and it worked really well, but I notice it mustíve been wearing off now as I had more spots on my camera today. I need to remember to reapply some more for a future trip.

We started to get cold and had seen all we wanted to see, so we did get out a little earlier than we had too, but not too much earlier.

We enjoyed this excursion, but it wonít be something Iíll be doing again. The feeding was fun, but the snorkeling was not. Claire did learn how to do it and that was a plus. But what we actually saw was pretty much nothing and for the price of this, there should be more. We will however be snorkeling again in the future and I now know Claire can handle it and we can do one that is more exciting.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #999
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

And ....... I again love the update, Jen. We have never done the stingray thing, it's enough for me to see them at Serenity Bay.
But I do agree, there is not really much to see at your snorkelling adventure than the stingrays.

Thanks for the rainex tip! We always have water spots on the lens - so that is a great idea!
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #1000
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

The stingray feeding does look neat, but I can understand that you were disappointed in the snorkelling.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #1001
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
And ....... I again love the update, Jen. We have never done the stingray thing, it's enough for me to see them at Serenity Bay.
But I do agree, there is not really much to see at your snorkelling adventure than the stingrays.

Thanks for the rainex tip! We always have water spots on the lens - so that is a great idea!
You wil lsee later on that I REALLY should've applied more rainex before this trip. LOL
I have yet to get to Serenity Bay. Someday I will make it happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
The stingray feeding does look neat, but I can understand that you were disappointed in the snorkelling.

Corinna
Yes, the snorkleling was not much of anything. But we still had a good time.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #1002
JKSWonder
Twelve plus trips and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post

I have yet to get to Serenity Bay. Someday I will make it happen.
Three cruises and I've never been to Serenity Bay either. Pesky kids.

Someday!
Old 04-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #1003
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

I think it's good that Claire had a good, easy experience to start with for snorkeling. That way it can help build up her confidence and she can tackle something more difficult next time without feeling scared.
ronnmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #1004
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSWonder View Post
Three cruises and I've never been to Serenity Bay either. Pesky kids.

Someday!

Quote:
I think it's good that Claire had a good, easy experience to start with for snorkeling. That way it can help build up her confidence and she can tackle something more difficult next time without feeling scared.
Exactly. After seeing a kid crying and fussing and refusing to get into the water on our Sept cruise while in port at Gran Cayman, I was glad i chose something basic to introduce her.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #1005
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

I've often wondered if I would freak out if I went parasailing given that I'm so afraid of heights. But, it looks like sooooo much fun!

I got tickled when you said that Gail and your mother can pack a bag. I'm like that too. John always fusses about how heavy my purse is but, when in church, the man doesn't have a problem with it when he can find a little mint or gum or when we are driving down the road and he has a hangnail.

It looks like the stingray excursion was a good one for first time snorkelers. Were there a lot of stingrays to see? It looks that way from the pictures.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: