Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2014, 09:14 AM   #1
goodolgm
Earning My Ears

Talking Disney Dream 4/3-4/6

Well, here goes, after a couple days of procrastination.

DISNEY DREAM 3-NIGHT
Thursday, April 3 to Sunday, April 6

Naturally, I was full of excitement in the days leading up to and the morning of Thursday, when I would be sailing away on the Disney Dream for the second time. My first cruise was in November 2012, same ship, same itinerary which I thoroughly enjoyed (except Nassau itself), so I was eager to have a repeat this time around.

My friend and I had booked this last week, so it was kind of a short notice endeavor. He was scheduled to work until 1:00pm and unfortunately was not able to get off any earlier than that. I picked him up and made the one-hour drive to Canaveral from Orlando. As we got closer and closer to the Dream, the excitement continued to build. We parked in the on-site garage and I found its convenience to be worth the extra money vs. off-site if you can swing it financially. It was a short walk across a bridge to get right to the terminal.

Check-in was seamless and quick, and we boarded the ship in no time. I was the "cruise rookie" and my friend allowed me to state my name as we boarded for the lobby announcement and it took me back to the first moments I stepped on the ship for the first time. Simply a magical moment I'll never forget (either time). The first sights and feelings of being in the spectacular atrium are indescribable, and where it sets in that you're in for a real treat. We were told our rooms were ready (the only benefit to being relatively late to board) and that Cabanas was open for lunch. We made the trek up 4 flights of stairs and to stateroom 7132 to drop our bags off, then headed up to Cabanas for the first lunch. Had my first round of crab legs and shrimp cocktail, among other lunch offerings and then we wandered the ship a bit. I was told I had to try the automated handwashers in the kids club area, and since it was open, had to go try it...kinda cool LOL.

Mandatory lifeboat drill went fine, didn't see any families do the walk of shame for being so late, then ran up to Deck 12 and watch the Sailing Away party/show. The ship began moving earlier than last time, so I went to Deck 13 forward to watch some of the pulling out of port, but made it back in time to the Sailing Away party to catch the countdown, horn, and subsequent festivity. The energy on Deck 11 is incredible with so many excited faces.

We had the second seating dinner, so we had a beverage or two in the room and headed down to what is my favorite show on the Dream, the Golden Mickeys. We were about 5th row center, and the show was just as incredible as I remember. I've watched it on YouTube countless times, but that finale in person is spectacular and as grand as it gets.

Dinner on the first night for our rotation was at Royal Palace. I had French Onion soup for my appetizer and beef tenderloin with a red wine reduction sauce which was to die for. On the side were mashed potatoes and green beans. I skipped on dessert, as I'm not a big sweets or dessert person, so I had coffee while the others savored what looked like very delicious dessert offerings. After dinner, I went down and had my first of many of the custom 687 craft beers over the course of the cruise, which I really enjoy and went into Evolution for an hour or so to take in the music and the atmosphere.

Day 2 saw me wake up without a hangover (unlike last cruise) so that was a bonus. I wake up early, so I woke up in time to make it upstairs to Deck 11 and dock at Nassau. I didn't enjoy getting off the ship and out and about last time, so I intended to stay on board this day. Wandered around the ship a lot to check out things I hadn't seen just yet, and even made it on the Aquaduck this time. The weather this time was much more favorable to participate in those types of things, and I actually enjoyed the ride much more this time because it wasn't in November. Ventured back down to the Atrium as well to take it in and stumbled across the adorable baby race...it was entertaining.

I was feeling a little brave and got off the Dream for a little while by myself, just to take pictures of the Dream from ashore and walk through Festival Place only. Even there, I was asked what I was looking for by a shady figure, and that was enough to scare me back on board. Later on, caught the Villains Tonight show which I find entertaining by the cast ad-libbing current events into their jokes, keeps it fresh and fun. Always great. Went up and caught a beautiful sunset before dinner at Palo.

What can be said about Palo? This was my first time doing this, as my friend is Platinum Castaway, so I was able to experience this for free. I now intend to book Palo on future cruises, and will say to those on the fence that the $25 price point is above and beyond a value for the quality of the experience and food. We had an 8:00 reservation, got in a little early, and the "journey" as they call it lasted just over two hours. It probably would have been even a little longer had we not expressed we wished to be out in time to go see the fireworks. Our server, Alexandria (sp?) from Serbia exceeded all expectations, was very attentive and friendly, and made it that much more enjoyable. Dinner started with an antipasto plate with meats, olives, artichokes, peppers, drizzled with an olive oil and balsamic vinegar said to be one of the finest in the world, and did it taste like that! I chose the tomato and mozzarella caprese as my appetizer, Nick had the mushroom tart. While I'm not a fan of mushrooms at all, it looked good, and my choice was fantastic. A small intermezzo sorbet followed, then the main course. I chose the signature Palo filet, and again, was blown away. So tender, juicy, and delicious, accentuated by the accompanying red wine sauce.

The highlight for me, however, was the chocolate souffle dessert. As I said before, I'm not a big dessert or sweets person. I was urged by several people at work, and Nick, that I must try this, and I'm glad I did. Not only did I try it, I finished the entire damn thing. It was delivered, and Alexandria broke into it and poured a chocolate sauce, then vanilla bean sauce into it. I then topped it off with my vanilla sorbet, and it truly was to die for. Never have I ever enjoyed a dessert as much as this...I actually loved it! This capped off an amazing dinner experience, and as we finished it was time to head up for the fireworks, which seemed to be bigger and louder than last time, so I enjoyed it.

That night, headed to Evolution for some wacky karaoke antics...all I really feel comfortable saying is that it was...memorable. Followed by more drinking and dancing (well, the dancing part, not me). Sat on the sidelines and had convo with Nick as well as a couple new friends I had just met. Hit a wall and went up to retire for the evening around 12:15am.

Woke up the next morning, was able to catch sunrise this time. Always pretty cool being able to see the sun go down on the horizon, then watch it the next morning rise. Wandered up to Deck 11 to get my morning coffee and ran into a pleasant surprise -- my assistant server from my first cruise in November 2012. Caught up briefly, this is his last contract and he is headed home soon. Hope the best for him. Had breakfast, then it was time to hit up Castaway Cay! Got off and walked all the way to Serenity Bay, bypassing the tram rides to take a leisurely stroll across the island, down the airstrip, and to paradise. Got to Serenity Bay and surprised to only find a small handful of people there at that point, which would quickly fill up. This time the tide seemed to be low, and Nick and I actually swam out to a sand bar a few hundred yards out...okay, we walked most of it but had some seaweed to swim over. Made it, and turning around to see Serenity from a ways out was pretty nice. Swam back over after I felt the sunburn kicking in. We ate our BBQ lunch, where I got my ribs fix, and started back to the ship. It was getting hot, and we wanted to just relax on a nearly empty ship after we got our Castaway fill. Tried a Konk Kooler at the Heads up Bar on the way back. It was tasty, but didn't have much in the form of booze I felt, so that was a slight bummer for its price. Didn't dampen my spirits at all though, I was in the middle of heaven on a great vacation!!

I went to the 4:30pm "See Ya Real Soon", met some characters, choked up in the farewell song because it was a sign this was coming to an end way too quickly. No time for tears though...it was time to go see "Believe" after a drink in the room. I will admit I really didn't enjoy this show last time around, but this time I connected with it and enjoyed it a lot more, and may have surpassed Villains Tonight as my second favorite show. Nothing had changed in the show, so not sure why the change in heart but I loved it. Dinner this time was in Enchanted Garden, which was my favorite from last cruise. The menu had changed, however, and I ordered the Prime Rib from the menu with tomato soup as an appetizer. The soup was great, however, the Prime Rib was not. I'm used to Prime Rib being gristly, but there was not much edible meat on this one. For the first time, I used my "I don't like it, can I try something else" card and swapped out for the pork tenderloin medallions, and they were fantastic. Great choice... Still fresh from loving dessert from the prior night, I ordered the "Warm Sticky Date Pudding" or something to that effect. I couldn't believe it...I actually enjoyed a dessert two nights in a row! This was in the form of a warm date cake, topped with vanilla sorbet and a butterscotch sauce and I almost finished it. Not chocolate souffle from Palo, but very good indeed.

Nick wanted to catch the Wisconsin Final Four game in 687, so I hung out there for a bit and had another couple of their delicious brew. Wandered out for some air and met Christian the cruise director, who was very friendly and inviting. I even saw him fixing some chairs which had been out of order, which is refreshing to see a top officer being proactive and fixing a problem. Very classy. I went and got one final fix at Evolution and headed to bed.

Waking up on the day it ends is always depressing...it's even more depressing when it's still dark out and are already at port. One final breakfast at Cabanas and it was over, leaving me wanting more.

In summary, another fantastic cruise. The weather couldn't have been better, the staff was amazing as always, the food was delicious, the entertainment world-class, and a couple of surprises dropped in here and there. Can't wait to do it all again, hopefully sooner than later!

Last edited by goodolgm; 04-09-2014 at 09:17 AM. Reason: desert vs. dessert, LOL
goodolgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:21 AM   #2
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Great TR.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-09-2014, 03:28 PM   #3
lulucornbread
Mouseketeer

great trip report! what movies were playing on the ship?
lulucornbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:26 PM   #4
goodolgm
Earning My Ears

Captain America premiered. Also remember seeing Muppets Most Wanted and Frozen for sure. I didn't watch any...no time on a 3-night!
goodolgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:18 PM   #5
davidmolliesmum
i must resist chocolate... i must resist chocolate....

Great TR i am so excited for our first cruise!!
September 2014; Disney Villa & 1st DisneyCruise,September 2013; Southern Dunes, August 2012: Southern Dunes, September 2011: Southern Dunes, September 2010 All Star Sports, June 2009: Kissimmee, June 2008: Southern Dunes, June 2007: Pop Century and Wedding!
Me DH DS10 DD8

davidmolliesmum is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: