Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 10:57 PM   #1351
ahoff
DIS Veteran

Does anyone need a one day park ticket? Last year I was a volunteer for the Full, for which I was given a one day park pass. I never used it, and it expires on January 8th. I do not arrive until the 10th. I will gladly give it to someone who can use it. Sorry for the late notice, thought it would be good thru the weekend and just looked at it the other day and noticed the early expiration date. I am sure it would reach you if it was mailed out within the next few days.

And I would like to also add my thanks to Coach Charles for his advice! Have done the last three Halfs, this year will be my first Full. I know I will complete it but still looking at it with a little apprehension
Old 12-29-2012, 01:43 AM   #1352
dreams91
DIS Cast Member
Loves to veg out in front of the TV on QVC scrap days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoff
Does anyone need a one day park ticket? Last year I was a volunteer for the Full, for which I was given a one day park pass. I never used it, and it expires on January 8th. I do not arrive until the 10th. I will gladly give it to someone who can use it. Sorry for the late notice, thought it would be good thru the weekend and just looked at it the other day and noticed the early expiration date. I am sure it would reach you if it was mailed out within the next few days.

And I would like to also add my thanks to Coach Charles for his advice! Have done the last three Halfs, this year will be my first Full. I know I will complete it but still looking at it with a little apprehension
That's awful nice of you. I don't arrive until the 10th either.

dreams91 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2012, 06:03 AM   #1353
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchfan18 View Post
I'll be honest and say I haven't gone through this thread, so I apologize if these questions have already been answered....
Coming from BLT, is the monorail the only option to get to/from the start before and after the race? We booked there so we'd have to monorail to the start, but now I'm wondering if that was a bad idea since everyone at the monorail resorts will be relying on it. Is there a bus if the line is long before or after? Should I leave for the start any earlier than normal?

Will it be possible at all to ride EE during the marathon this year with the course change? It was a highlight of Goofy for me last year and I'd love to do it again if the park is open.

I hope training has gone well for everyone. I've missed chatting with everyone this fall. This weekend really snuck up this year, but ready or not I'm excited for it!
You must either use the monorail for the half and full OR drive/taxi to the start. It is not all that bad. My observations from the year I stayed there was that the trains were coming in empty to almost empty. That leads me to believe that a train deadheads to the Contemporary, bypassing the GF. I could be mistaken but that is what appeared to be happening. The TTC transfer was smooth, also. One morning I just missed the Epcot train and had to wait for the next. The second day I walk straight onto the waiting train.

On the return the story was a little different. I stood on line for 3 trains. Still, not all that bad and I got to stand on the trip back to the resort rather than being forced to sit. (a good thing)

One morning we left at 0400 and on Sunday around 0415.

The EXCEPTION is that the 5k one MUST ride the bus to the start.

Everest has been taken out of the equation for most runners. Only those who are running slower than a 14 mm in E or later would pass with the park opening. I would think that most folks in this camp would probably not be looking for a loss of 5-10 minutes of non moving time.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:56 AM   #1354
kaf7878
Disney Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoff View Post
Does anyone need a one day park ticket? Last year I was a volunteer for the Full, for which I was given a one day park pass. I never used it, and it expires on January 8th.
If it's still available, I would absolutely love it! We are in Tampa so we could certainly head over before it expires:-)

In Training: 2015 Disney Half Marathon (possibly 2014 Wine and Dine)

Finisher 2013 Disney Half Marathon, 2006 Disney Marathon and 2005 Half Marathon
kaf7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:02 AM   #1355
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Real Potties&.

I know many on the list have issue with the Porto-lets or the lines associated with the little green buildings. In the past I have published a list of real restrooms passed on the run. Many folks have not really been concerned about anything past MK since that was the half point and the nervous bladder has been taken out of the equation after that. But in 2013, the half is now in AK so I thought I would repost the list for those who prefer a real room.

First, we miss Epcot at mile 2.5 so those are now gone.

MK (All course left, except as noted)
Tomorrowland. We turn left just after Stitch and the facility is on course left. These are busy but have never seen a line out the door.
FantasyLand Pooh in the facility near Pooh (I know it's there, just not sure it's open since it is immediately after the previous one)
FantasyLand Next to Pinocchio Village House (course right)
Frontierland In the breezeway between Frontierland and Adventureland.
Frontierland - just after Pecos Bills.

AK
Asia Near the Flights of Wonder Course left
Asia Near Everest - Course Left
Dinoland Just after Finding Nemo Course Left
McD We pass close but not sure how accessible Course Right

WWoS
Near the Track and Field Track
In the middle of the ball field quad.

DHS
At the far end of Street of America as we turn onto Commissary Lane Course right
At the end of Commissary as we pass towards Mickeys Sorcerers Hat Course Right
At the gate end of Hollywood as we turn to go backstage - Course left

Epcot
Morocco
American Adventure
Germany

Hope this helps. I cannot say with 100% certainty that a cast member will not re-direct a runner from some of the ones a little off course, but I have seen folks at most of these through the years. I know there are others but these are the ones on or very near the course. I am not 100% sure of the WWoS facilities since these are not in use more often than not.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Last edited by cewait; 12-29-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:26 AM   #1356
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Thanks to everyone for all the great advice and tips on this thread!
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #1357
cewait
DIS Veteran

Wx

One has to love accuweather......

This morning there is an outlier temperature in the forecast, or a front comes through on Friday night. The forecast for marathon weekend..

5k Start 59F (High of 78F)
Half Start 42F (Feel Real 35F) (High of 60F) - Windy
Full Start 51F (Feel Real 44F) (High of 70F) - Windy

Hoping for the front, not for the wind that will come with the front as predicted. Yes, this will bounce around over the next few days but it serves as a reminder that even Florida can see a bite from Winter.

I still predict dark for the first 60-70 minutes of the race, followed by light
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 12-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #1358
disney_runner
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
I still predict dark for the first 60-70 minutes of the race, followed by light

I agree with that.

Medals received: 2008 WDW Half ~ 2010 Princess Half + 2010 Disneyland Half = Coast to Coast ~ 2011 WDW Full ~ 2011 Wine & Dine Half ~ 2012 WDW Marathon Relay ~ 2012 Expedition Everest Challenge ~ 2013 Goofy Challenge ~ 2013 Dumbo Double Dare + C2C

Medals pending: 2014 ToT 10 miler, 2015 Dopey Challenge, 2017 January Half w/daughter, 2018 Glass Slipper Challenge, 2018 Tinkerbell Half, Avengers Half??
disney_runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #1359
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
Real Potties&.

I know many on the list have issue with the Porto-lets or the lines associated with the little green buildings. In the past I have published a list of real restrooms passed on the run. Many folks have not really been concerned about anything past MK since that was the half point and the nervous bladder has been taken out of the equation after that. But in 2013, the half is now in AK so I thought I would repost the list for those who prefer a real room.

First, we miss Epcot at mile 2.5 so those are now gone.

MK (All course left, except as noted)
Tomorrowland. We turn left just after Stitch and the facility is on course left. These are busy but have never seen a line out the door.
FantasyLand Pooh in the facility near Pooh (I know it's there, just not sure it's open since it is immediately after the previous one)
FantasyLand Next to Pinocchio Village House (course right)
Frontierland In the breezeway between Frontierland and Adventureland.
Frontierland - just after Pecos Bills.

AK
Asia Near the Flights of Wonder Course left
Asia Near Everest - Course Left
Dinoland Just after Finding Nemo Course Left
McD We pass close but not sure how accessible Course Right

WWoS
Near the Track and Field Track
In the middle of the ball field quad.

DHS
At the far end of Street of America as we turn onto Commissary Lane Course right
At the end of Commissary as we pass towards Mickeys Sorcerers Hat Course Right
At the gate end of Hollywood as we turn to go backstage - Course left

Epcot
Morocco
American Adventure
Germany

Hope this helps. I cannot say with 100% certainty that a cast member will not re-direct a runner from some of the ones a little off course, but I have seen folks at most of these through the years. I know there are others but these are the ones on or very near the course. I am not 100% sure of the WWoS facilities since these are not in use more often than not.
ONE MORE!!! At mile 15 on the right, albeit a little off course, is McDonald's where I'll be stopping for my M&M McFlurry
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #1360
cewait
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN View Post
ONE MORE!!! At mile 15 on the right, albeit a little off course, is McDonald's where I'll be stopping for my M&M McFlurry
John, I had to leave one for you

Good one
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 12-29-2012, 12:56 PM   #1361
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN

Personally, I like the Rolo McFlurry. I'd get one, but after the sugar rush, I go into a sugar coma and just want my bed.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:03 PM   #1362
stitchfan18
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the info about the monorail from BLT and EE. One last question for now, does anyone have experience running in the Minnie ear headbands? I was trying out my outfits today and don't really like the little Minnie clip on ears I got after halloween. I'm not really concerned about trying something new since this isn't a race against the clock for me, and worse case scenario, I hand them off to my mom at mile 5 since she'll be cheering from BLT. Just curious how they stay put before I buy a pair and try them.

stitchfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #1363
dumbo_buddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmamiDEdos View Post
Personally, I like the Rolo McFlurry. I'd get one, but after the sugar rush, I go into a sugar coma and just want my bed.
i would really love one but would prefer if it was closer to the end of the race. i'm afraid that much dairy with 11 miles left would be ....

i do have a feeling that my friend will be at the boardwalk with a margarita for me. as much as that sounds great, there is no way i'd be able to stomach that. i will just be too focused on finishing i'm sure.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #1364
steph0808
Mouseketeer

12 on the treadmill for me this morning since we got another snowstorm during the night. Yeah, that was not fun.

But I got it done (not very quickly though, I am 2 minutes per mile slower on the 'mill) and that was the last double digit run until the marathon!
5k PR - 25:52
10k PR - 56:31
Half Marathon PR - 1:58:59
Marathon PR - 6:42:53
steph0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #1365
cewait
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchfan18 View Post
Thanks for the info about the monorail from BLT and EE. One last question for now, does anyone have experience running in the Minnie ear headbands? I was trying out my outfits today and don't really like the little Minnie clip on ears I got after halloween. I'm not really concerned about trying something new since this isn't a race against the clock for me, and worse case scenario, I hand them off to my mom at mile 5 since she'll be cheering from BLT. Just curious how they stay put before I buy a pair and try them.
I would bring some duct (or other tape) to wrap the teeth. Maybe that would not be an issue, but I cannot wear the Mickey version due to the spikes. I see lots of them on course and in photos, so maybe my head is too large or overly sensitive.

I would wear them on a jog prior to the race - it would be a good idea to get a feel for their bounce and wind drag. You will more than likely not have an issue other than the possible tooth issue. But I ran with a guy wearing a foam Goofy hay last year. He never thought about the foam and sweat. I swear he wrung a gallon out at mile 14.

Have a great run
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: