Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #826
VernRDH
Sharing the same birthday with my baby girl and Mickey Mouse
 
VernRDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Clifton Park, New York
Posts: 1,892

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmamiDEdos View Post
I would rather be "too slow" than be one if the show-offs who run at a fast pace and have to hold on to the bars or the top of the machine. I've had a few next to me who harrumph at my 4-5 mph speed while they run at 7.5 and hold on.

Didn't get my run in today (insert guilty look here). Since DH is home tomorrow, I'm going to hit PF early in the AM.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.
How can you run holding on? I'd be more likely to hurt myself. Doesn't matter how fast you go, so long as you are moving.

Plus I always think of Jillian from BL yelling at everyone for holding on. I couldn't do it just for that reason.

I may be using my treadmill for the next couple weeks-just too cold and blustery here. Today was freezing rain etc. Did not run today as DD is down with the flu and I am playing nurse. She is 13 and so doesn't need me for anything, until she does. But its okay, I like to baby her once in a while.

As for bibs, here is our motley crew:

Me: Goofy 25129
DH: 5k-4720; Half-51986
DD: 5k-4622
FIL: Half-45054.

I am in D with all you other cool WISHer's! DH is in F, he needs to start at the front of the corral since he is concerned about the time limit. We need to buy him some time, his last half was 3:50.
VernRDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #827
Momto2PrncChrmgs
DIS Veteran
 
Momto2PrncChrmgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,655

As far as the corrals go, it is up for grabs as to who gets the front of the corral, or do they have that broken down into numbers as well? Just wondering if it's possible to weasel my way up to the front.
__________________
Me-Jenny/40 , DH-Andy/40 , DS-Drew/11, DS-Keaton/7

1977-Off Site May 2000-Off Site April/May 2005-ASMo May 2007-POP May 2008-POP Jan. 2009-CBR Jan. 2011-POP Jan. 2013-POR Sept. 2014-POP
Momto2PrncChrmgs is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #828
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran
 
PRmamiDEdos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Capital of the World!!
Posts: 2,446

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2PrncChrmgs
As far as the corrals go, it is up for grabs as to who gets the front of the corral, or do they have that broken down into numbers as well? Just wondering if it's possible to weasel my way up to the front.
Get there as early as you can. You're not lined up according to number so if you get there early you're good.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.
__________________
PRmamiDEdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #829
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran
 
PRmamiDEdos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Capital of the World!!
Posts: 2,446

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernRDH

How can you run holding on? I'd be more likely to hurt myself. Doesn't matter how fast you go, so long as you are moving.

Plus I always think of Jillian from BL yelling at everyone for holding on. I couldn't do it just for that reason.

I may be using my treadmill for the next couple weeks-just too cold and blustery here. Today was freezing rain etc. Did not run today as DD is down with the flu and I am playing nurse. She is 13 and so doesn't need me for anything, until she does. But its okay, I like to baby her once in a while.

As for bibs, here is our motley crew:

Me: Goofy 25129
DH: 5k-4720; Half-51986
DD: 5k-4622
FIL: Half-45054.

I am in D with all you other cool WISHer's! DH is in F, he needs to start at the front of the corral since he is concerned about the time limit. We need to buy him some time, his last half was 3:50.
Off topic: DD is also 13 and she's so independent that I crave the days she needs me or wants me close. Just a few years ago she was my sidekick. Now she only wants me when I'm doing something for her. Sigh, did I do this to my mom? LOL

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.
__________________
PRmamiDEdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #830
MightyDuck001
Mouseketeer
 
MightyDuck001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 472

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2PrncChrmgs View Post
As far as the corrals go, it is up for grabs as to who gets the front of the corral, or do they have that broken down into numbers as well? Just wondering if it's possible to weasel my way up to the front.
If you're at the entrance to the corrals when they say you can now go into the corrals (an hour-ish before the race starts) you're good to go. I was at the front of mine for Wine and Dine--it's kinda cool being at the front when you get to the starting line! Except for that feeling I had that those people behind me are going to trample me...

At this point in my training all I can say is: mile 20 better really freaking awesome or I'm going to be so angry I might punch Mickey in the face at the finish. Because if it's not...
MightyDuck001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #831
Sabeking
DIS Veteran
 
Sabeking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NC
Posts: 1,271

When do you think is the absolute latest I can get on the bus at Port Orleans Riverside for the half? I sincerely LOVE sleep.
__________________
Rock-n-Roll Marathon 2014
Flying Pirate Half marathon 2014- Kitty Hawk
Sabeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #832
VernRDH
Sharing the same birthday with my baby girl and Mickey Mouse
 
VernRDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Clifton Park, New York
Posts: 1,892

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmamiDEdos View Post
Off topic: DD is also 13 and she's so independent that I crave the days she needs me or wants me close. Just a few years ago she was my sidekick. Now she only wants me when I'm doing something for her. Sigh, did I do this to my mom? LOL

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.
We probably did, I know that my mom is in heaven laughing her buns off at how much like me DD is. Its scary. But I won't complain about her needing me, since she pushes me away more than she wants me close. /sigh
VernRDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #833
cewait
DIS Veteran
 
cewait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm
Posts: 5,691

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabeking View Post
When do you think is the absolute latest I can get on the bus at Port Orleans Riverside for the half? I sincerely LOVE sleep.
Buses run 3-4AM according to the schedule. I would actually shoot for the middle of the range just to assure that you are not caught up/stressed by a bus snafu. If you want to go a little later, you are close enough to walk, though if you want to check gear for post race, you are better off busing. If you are planning to walk, I can post a map of a short cut that will keep you off the main roadway.
__________________
_________________
Coach Charles
Perfectly Goofy 2006-2014
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:58 PM   #834
cewait
DIS Veteran
 
cewait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm
Posts: 5,691

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyDuck001 View Post
If you're at the entrance to the corrals when they say you can now go into the corrals (an hour-ish before the race starts) you're good to go. I was at the front of mine for Wine and Dine--it's kinda cool being at the front when you get to the starting line! Except for that feeling I had that those people behind me are going to trample me...

At this point in my training all I can say is: mile 20 better really freaking awesome or I'm going to be so angry I might punch Mickey in the face at the finish. Because if it's not...
Actually, the arrangement os not like W&D. There is a .8 mile walk to the corrals. If you want to be as close as you can, go through the bag check tents as soon as you get to the staging area. Then veer left towards the large gap in port potties. Hang by the orange fence. It will open as early as 0430 since the Mouse is attempting to get runners IN corrals by 0500. Bottom line, grab the 0300 bus if getting to the front of your corral is important.
__________________
_________________
Coach Charles
Perfectly Goofy 2006-2014
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #835
belle2211
DIS Veteran
 
belle2211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Right behind the Magic Kingdom
Posts: 1,909

So last night after 5k, my knees were sooooo achy. I still did my excersizes (well, the ones that are for runners knee and that I looked up for ITBS...I don't have my PT appt yet). And this morning I woke up and no pain! I think my knee twinged maybe 1 time when I bent down, but no pressure on the front of the knee, no side pain, nothing!!! My thighs however--ouch! They feel like they did back when I started running! I guess that's what weeks of doing nothing will do to you!

But now I'm being bad. I'm debating trying to run again. I know the doctor said that I won't hurt myself but that to heal I need to rest. But I'm panicing at how tired my thighs are and wondering just how I'm going to run a half just riding a bike for training! So do I "be bad" and try to run 30 mins on Tues? Or "be good" and just bike 30 mins on Thurs?

Oh, and another random question. I always get bad blisters on the outside of my big toe on my right foot. I get them even on 3 milers. It doesn't usually hurt (except for that ill-fated 16 miler). They usually go away in a day or so. I have both cheap athletic socks, thorlo socks, and balega socks, and get blisters with all of them. I did buy something similar to body glide when I got my new shoes to try to see if that helps with the blister but haven't done that yet. Anyways, yesterday, for the reindeer run, we wore these knee-high festive socks. The cheap, thin kind from Target and I knew I would get a blister but didn't care. BUUUUT. No blister! Not even a little spot! Any idea on why this is and any althetic socks I could try that might mimic it?
belle2211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:23 PM   #836
cewait
DIS Veteran
 
cewait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm
Posts: 5,691

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernRDH View Post
How can you run holding on? I'd be more likely to hurt myself. Doesn't matter how fast you go, so long as you are moving.

Plus I always think of Jillian from BL yelling at everyone for holding on. I couldn't do it just for that reason.

I may be using my treadmill for the next couple weeks-just too cold and blustery here. Today was freezing rain etc. Did not run today as DD is down with the flu and I am playing nurse. She is 13 and so doesn't need me for anything, until she does. But its okay, I like to baby her once in a while.

As for bibs, here is our motley crew:

Me: Goofy 25129
DH: 5k-4720; Half-51986
DD: 5k-4622
FIL: Half-45054.

I am in D with all you other cool WISHer's! DH is in F, he needs to start at the front of the corral since he is concerned about the time limit. We need to buy him some time, his last half was 3:50.
Pretty much hanging on while running is wrong in multiple ways. First and foremost, it is a safety issue. In the event one stumbles, if they are hanging onto the controls, they will grip tighter and end up possibly coming down with a real serious case of belt rash. Longer term, the issue is that it creates bad form. Form that can keep you from running very far since one is creating a stride that has a forward lean. It is important to run on a mil just like outside with a slight forward lean, shoulder back and hips rolled slightly forward. Hanging on creates the opposite.

It is OK to hang on when changing elevation (but not while running a steep hill) or speed. Or in the event you lose your place a quick grab is natural.

The way to wean ones self is to move back from the control panel and run mid deck or right at the point where the side handle end.
__________________
_________________
Coach Charles
Perfectly Goofy 2006-2014
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:14 PM   #837
My4Men
Lovin' the mouse
 
My4Men's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bama
Posts: 97

HI!!! Newbie here. I've bee on the Princess and DL threads. Ran and LOVED those so joined in the WDW half. Adding our bib numbers. Looks like we are D. We were C last two . DH is 47664 and I'm 47665. HI EVERYONE!
__________________
Me(Lisa) DH(Shane) DS13(Caleb) DS9 (Jace) DS8 (Lane)

Princess 1/2 Marathon - February 2012
Disney Dream - September 2011
POP - April 2010
AKV-November-December '09!
POP - '08 Free dining - Grand Gathering
AStar Movies - '07 Free dining
POP - '06
Off-site - '05
My4Men is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:01 AM   #838
bmer1rick
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 638

Just got done with my last 20 mile run prior to the race.

I have an etiquette question for you veterans.. I am using the Galloway training regiment at a 4/1 run/walk ratio. 1) When doing the walk portion, is it ok to just walk on the shoulder of the road or should I move off the road as much as possible and 2) Is it best for me to just start at the back of the corral so all the runners don't have to navigate around me when I move to the walk?

I am in Corral C for what it is worth..
bmer1rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:02 AM   #839
cewait
DIS Veteran
 
cewait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm
Posts: 5,691

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmer1rick View Post
Just got done with my last 20 mile run prior to the race.

I have an etiquette question for you veterans.. I am using the Galloway training regiment at a 4/1 run/walk ratio. 1) When doing the walk portion, is it ok to just walk on the shoulder of the road or should I move off the road as much as possible and 2) Is it best for me to just start at the back of the corral so all the runners don't have to navigate around me when I move to the walk?

I am in Corral C for what it is worth..
A couple things...

First, raise a hand or make some other movement letting the person just behind you know that you are doing something. Look around and confirm that you do not have a tailgater then slow up.

The preferable approach to to move off to either side and then slow up. For some reason, a lot of folks think right, but either side works.

Look ahead and if you see a corner , do move to the outer radius to walk, the inner radius will naturally pinch down. You will be out of the way on the outer edge.

In tighter areas such as the first mile, the one lane stretch just after TTC and the one lane stretch coming out of MK, leave a person width between you and the edge. You will see that there is a faster single lane of folks on the very edge of the roadway. Hang just inboard of that lane.

If for some reason you do not or cannot make it out to the perimeter, do not sweat it. Just make sure there is no one behind you

Most of all, have fun. Keep to your walk schedule. Do not worry where you are in the corral. You will have several run/walkers with you in the corral.


As a side note, in the old days, it was preferable for slower runners to stay closer to course center. The logic being that the race would tend to push to the tangents and rarely hit the center of the course.
__________________
_________________
Coach Charles
Perfectly Goofy 2006-2014
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/

Last edited by cewait; 12-17-2012 at 07:07 AM.
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:28 AM   #840
Sabeking
DIS Veteran
 
Sabeking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NC
Posts: 1,271

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
Buses run 3-4AM according to the schedule. I would actually shoot for the middle of the range just to assure that you are not caught up/stressed by a bus snafu. If you want to go a little later, you are close enough to walk, though if you want to check gear for post race, you are better off busing. If you are planning to walk, I can post a map of a short cut that will keep you off the main roadway.
That would be great! I assume this would be a good way for my family to get over there and not worry about being at the buses so early. Thanks!!
__________________
Rock-n-Roll Marathon 2014
Flying Pirate Half marathon 2014- Kitty Hawk
Sabeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright Š 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: