Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 06:52 AM   #511
halvnorsk
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDuenow View Post
Hi everyone! Glad I found this board! I was looking up information about corrals and found you guys! I keep hearing that the race gets crowded fast. This race will be my 9th full marathon and first Disney race! I have taken a few years off of marathon running, after I had my son. He is 18 months old and running the kids run that weekend Oddly enough, I feel I am in my best shape ever, after becoming a mom and really want my first sub four hour marathon Thoughts from any experienced Disney runners about what corral I may be placed in...?? I have heard the corral you get placed in makes a big difference, if you have a time goal. I submitted a 1:55 half marathon time from a year ago (and I think I put 3:59 as my estimated finish.) I ran a 20 miler this Sunday in 3 hours flat which is the fastest 20 miler ever for me. But if I am adding a 10k on after the 20 miles, it puts me right on the edge of the 4 hour zone... and I so badly want that 3:anything haha!!!
I submitted almost the exact same times last year and was put in corral B. But there may have been a lot of fast people last year. I was also registered for Goofy - don't know if that makes any difference.

That's a great long run time. I'm not doing my long runs quite as fast. But I'd love to hit close to the 4 hour mark for the marathon. If not this time, hopefully the next one!
Old 12-12-2012, 07:25 AM   #512
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

CDueNowI did my first marathon at Disney in 2010. Put in 4:15/4:30 estimated finish time supported by my 2:01 half time from Disney. This put me in Corral B. My "A" goal--run 4:00 (which I thought was my BQ time, although it turned out to be 4:05) I ended up with a 4:09 finish.

My point in all of this? Being in corral B was not a killer, time-wise--if that's where you end up. After a few miles of congestion, things do lighten up enough to be able to run your race. (My time lost was from miles 16 onward)

Good luck running sub-4. From your training, it sounds like you have a good chance.

Coach, 4:00 is qualifying time for 50-54 year old women for Boston. I keep track of that since it's my current age group!

Maura
jmasgat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #513
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasgat View Post
CDueNowI did my first marathon at Disney in 2010. Put in 4:15/4:30 estimated finish time supported by my 2:01 half time from Disney. This put me in Corral B. My "A" goal--run 4:00 (which I thought was my BQ time, although it turned out to be 4:05) I ended up with a 4:09 finish.

My point in all of this? Being in corral B was not a killer, time-wise--if that's where you end up. After a few miles of congestion, things do lighten up enough to be able to run your race. (My time lost was from miles 16 onward)

Good luck running sub-4. From your training, it sounds like you have a good chance.

Coach, 4:00 is qualifying time for 50-54 year old women for Boston. I keep track of that since it's my current age group!

Maura
I get confused, I am 11 years away from the 4:10 BQ (was a 4:00). I am also thinking I over stated the corral, I estimated a 4:20 for the 09 mary and was in B. My B and C starts have been relatively uncrowded, though the water bridge slow up starts in the latter C corral.

I can only hope for a 5:20 this year. Danged knee did not like pushing pace yesterday and I had to bail to a jog on a cool weather run.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #514
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbo_buddy View Post
hey amanda, just curious who you saw? what hospital? einstein?

i went to dr. andrew rosen today. he has an office on 84th street as well as by eastchester rd in the bronx. very good. at least i hope he is!

i had a cortisone injection in my knee today. hoping it's the "magic cure" for this knee thing. i haven't been able to run in 4 weeks. terrible. at least i know that on 11/10 i ran 18 miles. it's under my belt. doc says i can run on thursday. i'm SO hopeful. fingers crossed. can't wait to see everyone in just a month!!
I saw Dr. Neil Cobelli. He's not a sports guy - at all! But he's smart and I know him well. If rest doesn't work, he'll send me to one of his sports guys...

Good luck with the cortisone injection!

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
DrMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #515
SAHDad
DIS Veteran

Feeling a lot more confident on the Goofy after yesterday. Did 9 on Monday, 16 yesterday - could have kept going, but needed to get cleaned up and do the grocery shopping before the kids got home. Otherwise, 18 or 20 would not have been a problem.

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.
SAHDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #516
CDuenow
Earning My Ears

Thank you everyone for all of your awesome responses! It is great to hear from experienced Disney runners what the course layout/race day will be like. Glad to hear the first couple of corrals won't hurt my time the first few miles! By then, hopefully, people have sorted their paces out!! And we won't be bumping into each other

Coach I am sorry to hear about your knee pain. I am all too familiar with knee issues. I messed my knee up pretty badly a few years ago, and it took a couple years to get better. And I am 28, so I have come to terms that a BQ will most likely never happen for me haha!
CDuenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #517
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
And I am 28, so I have come to terms that a BQ will most likely never happen for me haha!
Never say never! After my first marathon at Disney, I realized I was closer than I thought, so I trained and ran the Freep marathon later that year. Finished in 3:52 and BQ'ed. Did Boston in 2011.

It's one case where being older is a good thing!

Maura
jmasgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #518
WhereInFlorida
More Disney = A better day

In addition to being worn out from this marathon training now the weather in central florida is not helping out. The past 4am morning runs were 65 and 72F starting out and near 100% humidity, and I was just getting used to the previous cooler temps.

Hoping for cooler weather in January or going to cause problems.
WhereInFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #519
kmg148
DIS Veteran

I sucked it up and made an appointment for my knee on Friday. I was able to do the 18 miles walking on Sunday, but I still have pain. It's not any worse, but it doesn't seem like it's getting any better. It's not excrutiating, but it's enough that I really can't run at all.

Hopefully it's not too serious...
kmg148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #520
JRM393
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereInFlorida View Post
In addition to being worn out from this marathon training now the weather in central florida is not helping out. The past 4am morning runs were 65 and 72F starting out and near 100% humidity, and I was just getting used to the previous cooler temps.

65 and 72 sound fantastic haha. I just did a run last night and it was 28 and I had ice hanging off me.

But that humidity is killer. I did the ToT in September and thought it would be a bit cooler at 10 at night. Turned out to be like 85 with high humidity. I was wet by mile three, soaked by mile 5.
JRM393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #521
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereInFlorida View Post

Looks like it cools off over the weekend! Woo Hoo 50's... I too hope for a cool snap

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmg148 View Post
I sucked it up and made an appointment for my knee on Friday. I was able to do the 18 miles walking on Sunday, but I still have pain. It's not any worse, but it doesn't seem like it's getting any better. It's not excrutiating, but it's enough that I really can't run at all.

Hopefully it's not too serious...
Good luck. Hang in there.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #522
steph0808
Mouseketeer

Ugh - have to keep telling myself "One bad run does not a bad marathon make."

Felt good on my two earlier runs this week, but today's 8 was cut to a 6. For some reason, I just cannot run my route by my house anymore. I have done it twice in the past two weeks and it just depresses me! haha. Not sure what is going on with that. I also think it is because I never do it (probably haven't done it in two months prior to this) and it messes up my routine.
5k PR - 25:52
10k PR - 56:31
Half Marathon PR - 1:58:59
Marathon PR - 6:42:53
steph0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #523
Reep
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Hi everyone! Glad I found this board! I was looking up information about corrals and found you guys! I keep hearing that the race gets crowded fast. This race will be my 9th full marathon and first Disney race! I have taken a few years off of marathon running, after I had my son. He is 18 months old and running the kids run that weekend Oddly enough, I feel I am in my best shape ever, after becoming a mom and really want my first sub four hour marathon Thoughts from any experienced Disney runners about what corral I may be placed in...?? I have heard the corral you get placed in makes a big difference, if you have a time goal. I submitted a 1:55 half marathon time from a year ago (and I think I put 3:59 as my estimated finish.) I ran a 20 miler this Sunday in 3 hours flat which is the fastest 20 miler ever for me. But if I am adding a 10k on after the 20 miles, it puts me right on the edge of the 4 hour zone... and I so badly want that 3:anything haha!!!
In 2010, Corral A was 2:40-3:40 (don't even get me started on what a bad idea that spread in a single corral is). I do have some good experience for you though. In 2003 I was in Corral B. I'm not sure how I ended up back there, but that is what it was. I'll give you the final result first so you can get a feel for the run. I finished in 3:11. So, what was it like? Not too bad. You have to accept that for the first several miles (about 4 miles) you will be moving around a lot of people. Don't over exert, just try to be efficient and find open lines. When I ran I had to go through Epcot, but the new course stays on the roads. The first several miles are on long strait and relatively wide roads so this isn't that difficult. By the time you get to the MK it may have thinned out enough for you to not be hindered, with the possible exception of the castle. Don't fight it, just go with the flow. Once the race opens up at mile 6.5 then you should be home free for the rest of the race. Be patient and efficient until the crowd thins and then go for it. No reason you can't break 4:00 at WDW.
Reep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #524
crowland87
Earning My Ears

MRI shows that it's a stress fracture, not just shin splints like I was hoping. I'm so bummed out about this, but happy that I found out on the last day to defer registration. It will hurt to see everyone with their Mickey medals after the race, but I know that will be me in 2014. Thanks for the support everyone! Ill be there cheering you all on this year :-)
crowland87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:09 PM   #525
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowland87
MRI shows that it's a stress fracture, not just shin splints like I was hoping. I'm so bummed out about this, but happy that I found out on the last day to defer registration. It will hurt to see everyone with their Mickey medals after the race, but I know that will be me in 2014. Thanks for the support everyone! Ill be there cheering you all on this year :-)
Wow. I'm so sorry you won't be able to race with the rest of us. Rest up and good luck with your 2014 training. Will you still join us at Epcot on Monday for DAtW?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: