Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #31
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabeking View Post
Hey Everyone got a question. Sorry if it is a repeat; haven't been here for a few weeks. Were the Christmas decorations up still during the race last year?? Thanks!
Yup they were. That being said, the race is late this year, calendar-wise, so I wouldn't expect it.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge resort not yet decided!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #32
kmg148
DIS Veteran

Got 16 miles in today, 27 total for this week..hoping to get 4 miles in tomorrow, even if it is just walking. This is the most I have ever run in a week before! I know it's not a lot for most of you but this is a big mental win for me!

I hope everyone had a great long run if you did yours today--or a good luck if yours is tomorrow!
kmg148 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #33
roomthreeseventeen

I did 10 today, have 20 on the dock tomorrow. I actually find the hardest thing to be finding all these hours of podcasts to listen to. I get bored too easily.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:26 PM   #34
kmg148
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
I did 10 today, have 20 on the dock tomorrow. I actually find the hardest thing to be finding all these hours of podcasts to listen to. I get bored too easily.
After starting to listen to podcasts while running this week, it seems that they are the only thing that is helping me get through long runs! Do you have any recommendations for any good ones?
kmg148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #35
Goofierunner
Mickey says, "Now get out there and run!"

I like NPRs podcasts. All Songs Considered. Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me. Car Talk. The Diane Rehm Show is interesting for news and politics.

First I do this Then I do this but I wish I was at
Goofierunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #36
RunRookie
DIS Veteran

I ran a 5K Turkey Trot on Thursday, a 10.27 mile training run on Friday, and the Schaumburg Turkey Trot Half today (Saturday). It was a mini-Dopey for me and it was a lot of fun -- even though it snowed on me on Friday and it was bitterly cold (26F) during the Half. But they are all in the books, 32 miles for the week, and I survived! Now for two days of Rest....

Hope everyone's Thanksgiving was special!
Half Fanatic #1852 and Marathon Maniac #6743
My Blog: My Journey to Healthy Living

2014: Los Angeles Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Carmel Marathon
2013: WDW Family 5K | WDW Goofy Challenge | Surf City Marathon | Little Rock Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Cherry Blossom 10M | Flying Pig 3-Way Challenge (5K/10K/Half) | Soldier Field 10M | Chicago RnR Half | Biggest Loser 15K | Howl at the Moon Ultra 50K | Dumbo Double Dare (10K/Half) | Crystal Lake Half | Heritage Haul Half | Fox Valley Half | Marine Corps Marathon | Strides for Hunger 5K | Space Coast Half

Disney Trips: Disneyland 1972-1978, Disney World 2000/2007/2012/2013, Disney Cruises 2003/2005, Disneyland 2008/2013
RunRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:40 PM   #37
roomthreeseventeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmg148 View Post
After starting to listen to podcasts while running this week, it seems that they are the only thing that is helping me get through long runs! Do you have any recommendations for any good ones?
I usually listen to the DIS Unplugged, some Survivor podcasts, maybe a This American Life and then music.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:37 PM   #38
sunshine girl
DIS Veteran

Location: Once a Floridian, always a Floridian (but currently elsewhere)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmg148

I listen to a lot of podcasts - they're all I listen to when I do training runs. (During races I listen to music... but I like to save the music for races or for the last miles of a long training run!) I listen to a wide range, but here are a few Disney-specific choices:

DIS Unplugged, WDW Today, The Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish with Jim Hill, The Mickey Miles Podcast, WDW Radio, Wedway Radio, Wedway NOW!, Inside the Magic, and the Be Our Guest Podcast.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 11-25-2012, 07:13 AM   #39
erinna
Mouseketeer

I want to second the Mickey Miles podcast -- it's a newish one and it's FANTASTIC. I just wish it'd been around when I started training for my first Disney race :-)
Old 11-25-2012, 07:19 AM   #40
steph0808
Mouseketeer

Just wanted to let everyone know that today's Amazon GoldBox deal is the Garmin 410 for $150. http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=cs_top_nav_gb27

In case anyone is in the market for a new watch before the marathon!
5k PR - 25:52
10k PR - 56:31
Half Marathon PR - 1:58:59
Marathon PR - 6:42:53
steph0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #41
dumbo_buddy
DIS Veteran

how do you get a podcast onto your ipod? (i know, i should totally know this).

i find that listening to the radio makes the miles go by faster. basically because i don't know what's coming on next. i think listening to podcasts would be similar - something to concentrate on rather than thinking oh god i've heard this song a million times before.

runrookiecongrats on the mini-dopey! you deserve those two days of rest for sure!

i'm happy to report that my knee is feeling a little better. i'm barely limping. thank goodness. i'm not going to start running yet though. i have a doctor's appt tomorrow and will see what he and my PT guy says before running. so far i've take 8 days off of running.

if i need to take a full 2 or even 3 weeks off of running i think i should be ok...what do you think? i have an 18 miler under my belt from the beginning of november.

i hope everyone had a lovely thanksgiving
Old 11-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #42
Momto2PrncChrmgs
DIS Veteran

Wow, took me a while to realize a new thread was started. Oops!!

I'm heading out to do my first 11 ever. Pretty sure I'm gonna die.

1977-Off Site May 2000-Off Site April/May 2005-ASMo May 2007-POP May 2008-POP Jan. 2009-CBR Jan. 2011-POP Jan. 2013-POR Oct. 2014-???
Momto2PrncChrmgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #43
Tiger Lily 03
Famous for my Potato Salad
Not nekid anymore ;-)
Flashed through and scooped up some beads in NawwwwLins

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbo_buddy View Post
...i'm happy to report that my knee is feeling a little better. i'm barely limping. thank goodness. i'm not going to start running yet though. i have a doctor's appt tomorrow and will see what he and my PT guy says before running. so far i've take 8 days off of running.

if i need to take a full 2 or even 3 weeks off of running i think i should be ok...what do you think? i have an 18 miler under my belt from the beginning of november.
Whatever you are advised by Dr. and PT, be sure to start off gently. You don't want to go too much too fast. Walk if you must to get a good warm up. Since you are this close, it would be a shame to hurt it once again. Maybe the advice from your medical team would be walking ok for a time before you get back into your race tempo program. Good luck.

I got in 16 miles yesterday; they were quite slow, a few off the minimum pace actually, but they are done. I am hoping to be able to pick up the pace a bit the next LRs. Happy training to all!
Tiger Lily 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #44
VernRDH
Sharing the same birthday with my baby girl and Mickey Mouse

I did it. 10 miles yesterday, 20 miles today. I am toast right now, but pretty psyched about the accomplishment. I think I can handle Goofy.

Just hoping that its warmer in Florida this time. Yesterday and today were very cold and windy, with snow squalls to boot. I could use some warmer conditions to run in, 50 degrees would be fine.
VernRDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #45
guava
Mouseketeer

Oh I am so glad that is done! My longest run ever...14 miles. This run/walk deal is really hurting my times (up to over 13 minutes/mile average) but my ankle is not screaming at me and I feel really good so I'm just going to stick with it. My goal now (post injury) is just to finish the marathon, ideally with a smile on my face.

Would you believe today was the first day I ever ran while listening to podcasts or music? Oh my gosh! It made such a huge difference. I downloaded 3 episodes of NPR's This American Life and the miles flew by. I was pleased that even with listening and running Runkeeper in the background my cell phone battery still had 77% left when I was done. Anyway, I appreciate the suggestions on the Podcasts. I think I will try The Mickey Miles one next.

VernRDH - Wow! 10/20 - impressive! Congrats on a great weekend! I'm in Florida and running temps were perfect - in the 60s.

dumbo_buddy - Not sure what your running style is, but switching to run/walk post injury has made all the difference to me. Good luck with your recovery.

So glad to hear everyone is doing well with their training. Even a mini-dopey in the group!
guava is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: