Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #361
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehvalerie View Post
Have any of you ever gotten a cortisone shot before a race? How long did its effects last? I've been going to PT for two weeks for hip bursitis (we learned that I'm knock kneed and essentially just not built for running. My therapist thinks I have femoral acetabular impingement syndrome, which is basically where the hip bone doesn't rotate smoothly in the socket) and my therapist thinks I'd be a good candidate for getting a well-placed cortisone shot just to help me get through the rest of training and race day.

I've read about the risks and this definitely isn't something I would do more than once—nor do I intend to ever train for a full marathon. I'm kind of looking at this shot as a last ditch effort to get me through my first and only marathon.

I just got the green light yesterday to start running again. My plan right now is to see how things go tonight and over the weekend, and if I start experiencing pain again to email my therapist and ask her to consult with my ortho (they work in the same clinic) to see about getting the shot.
It's really something you should consult a doc for as there may be issues that none of us are aware of. However, in general, it can take up to a couple weeks for inflammation to die off as the result of an injuction. From there, it all depends on how well you can adapt mechanically once the inflammation is diminished. So if you are considering this, you have a couple weeks to asure that the injection has time to take effect.

Good luck with your decision.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #362
honeyrun
Earning My Ears

Yes I Put 5:10 as a time. So if I am understanding this, there is only one pace team for 4:15 not one in each corral. And If I am not in the same corral as the pace team I am out of luck or running to catch up.
honeyrun is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #363
rocio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFigawi View Post
There will be dozens of groups and hundreds of people doing DATW, so yes, you'll probably have to ask if we're the WISHers. I'd like to say we'll be wearing our custom Goofy shirts from our last Goofy, but who knows what the weather will be like. Anyway, just ask. Other groups might have seen us along the way and know where we are.
I'll just need one of those airport pick up signs that says, "WISHers?" and walk around with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmamiDEdos View Post
Beers and tattoos sounds like an awesome time!!!!
Nice!
rocio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #364
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyrun View Post
Yes I Put 5:10 as a time. So if I am understanding this, there is only one pace team for 4:15 not one in each corral. And If I am not in the same corral as the pace team I am out of luck or running to catch up.
Yes, that's the situation.

Maura
jmasgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #365
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyrun View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasgat View Post
Yes, that's the situation.

Maura
Sorry, that's the news. You are unfortunately 4 waves and 12 minutes too late.

There is a 10k in Ormond Beach Saturday January 11. http://www.racesmith.com/races/RunFromCrime.html It's a 90 minute drive from Disney. You may want to email the RD and see if they can help get you a print out of results on Saturday. I see they are noting that results are posted at the race site on the day of the race…

It’s an idea.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 12-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #366
steph0808
Mouseketeer

Well, I'm pretty confident (with my self-diagnosis, lol) that I have piriformis syndrome. Just on one side though. I am going to head to the chiropractor tonight (he is also a runner so should be able to help or at least confirm) and then go from there. What is the next step? Find an ortho/PT? Is that something I need a referral for? I haven't been to either one before.
5k PR - 25:52
10k PR - 56:31
Half Marathon PR - 1:58:59
Marathon PR - 6:42:53
steph0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #367
Reep
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph0808 View Post
Well, I'm pretty confident (with my self-diagnosis, lol) that I have piriformis syndrome. Just on one side though. I am going to head to the chiropractor tonight (he is also a runner so should be able to help or at least confirm) and then go from there. What is the next step? Find an ortho/PT? Is that something I need a referral for? I haven't been to either one before.
I had this a few years ago, three weeks before the DL half. Went to my PT and through massage and electro-stim I was back on my feet and ran a PR. Now I have a foam ball that I roll on back there to keep the tissue more broken down. I often feel it, but it stays under control. The key point is that PS can often be fixed relatively quickly.
Reep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #368
steph0808
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reep View Post
I had this a few years ago, three weeks before the DL half. Went to my PT and through massage and electro-stim I was back on my feet and ran a PR. Now I have a foam ball that I roll on back there to keep the tissue more broken down. I often feel it, but it stays under control. The key point is that PS can often be fixed relatively quickly.
Thanks Reep. I have been doing stretches (my best friend is in PT school right now, so she is a great help) and foam roller-ing it. It really doesn't bother me when running - just a little here and there. The worst is sitting - work has been a killer these past few days since I sit in front of a computer for the majority of the time.

I am glad to know I am on the right track!
5k PR - 25:52
10k PR - 56:31
Half Marathon PR - 1:58:59
Marathon PR - 6:42:53
steph0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #369
cewait
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks Reep. I have been doing stretches (my best friend is in PT school right now, so she is a great help) and foam roller-ing it. It really doesn't bother me when running - just a little here and there. The worst is sitting - work has been a killer these past few days since I sit in front of a computer for the majority of the time.

In addition to rolling and loosening the outer quads and IT band, look to strengthen the VMO or inner quad.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 12-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #370
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

They put the option to choose a song up on the Run Disney Facebook page.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #371
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Quote:

My pt suggested a tennis ball as well for my back/ glutes, etc. It is really uncomfortable but it works wonders. I basically lay on it to break up the muscle tightness. I have a foam roller too, but when things are really tight this works so much better. Good luck.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #372
chris84bond
Earning My Ears

Oh florida and your "wonderful" weather fluxes, why did you pick now as a time to give me chest congestion?

Not doing my 5 today, might not do my 5 saturday, but even with chest congestion, I'll find a way to snake in my 20 miler on sunday. First 20 miler and I have to have this? :sadface:
chris84bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #373
kmg148
DIS Veteran

I have no idea what this pain is in my knees! On Sunday it was just my left, now it's both! It's in the same exact spot on both knees, on the inside kneecap if that makes sense.

I've been trying to ease into a new pair of shoes that have arches (my old running shoes don't have any) and today I ran with the old pair. But when I started having the pain, I was in the new pair--which is why I switched today.

I think what frustrates me most at this point (and I'm sure many of you will agree!) is that I finally figured out how to hydrate better, the best things to wear that don't chafe, what not to eat, what to listen to and feel so much more mentally prepared for this race than I ever did for the half marathon--and then it's the legs that quit!

Last edited by kmg148; 12-06-2012 at 09:38 PM.
kmg148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:12 PM   #374
Tabetha
DIS Veteran

Oh boy, sounds like everyone has a mean ol' round of injuries. I'm in the same boat. My achilles tendinitis made me pull up short on my conditioning run tonight. Between that and the pain I'm having in the ball of my foot, I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and spring for the way overpriced new shoes I've been trying to avoid buying.

It's that, or wait for RoadRunner sports ship them up here (through all those Christmas parcels) and save myself $30 or so, but lose weeks of comfort.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:58 AM   #375
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocio View Post
I'll just need one of those airport pick up signs that says, "WISHers?" and walk around with it
That's a great idea!

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: