Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #316
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocio View Post
Oh this is serious! I didn't realize this started so early. I was thinking late afternoon. Any way I could catch up later? Will there be any identifiers for us latecomers to spot the group? ;-)
I'm sure you'll find us somewhere along the way. Usually takes us about 6-7 hours since we don't just drink and waddle off to the next country. We like to see the exhibits, etc., along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmamiDEdos View Post
I was thinking about starting at La Cava first but Canada sounds good too!
Starting with tequila makes for a really long afternoon. Finishing around dinner time with tequila and Mexican food makes for a great end to the afternoon. Or so we've found out.

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #317
RunRookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait
Making plans and am confused ...

WISH meets at the Pop on Friday afternoon/evening? It's been 4 years or so since I attending pre-race meals.
The meet-up is at 4pm on Friday at POP. It just got posted on the FB group page
Half Fanatic #1852 and Marathon Maniac #6743
My Blog: My Journey to Healthy Living

2014: Los Angeles Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Carmel Marathon
2013: WDW Family 5K | WDW Goofy Challenge | Surf City Marathon | Little Rock Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Cherry Blossom 10M | Flying Pig 3-Way Challenge (5K/10K/Half) | Soldier Field 10M | Chicago RnR Half | Biggest Loser 15K | Howl at the Moon Ultra 50K | Dumbo Double Dare (10K/Half) | Crystal Lake Half | Heritage Haul Half | Fox Valley Half | Marine Corps Marathon | Strides for Hunger 5K | Space Coast Half

Disney Trips: Disneyland 1972-1978, Disney World 2000/2007/2012/2013, Disney Cruises 2003/2005, Disneyland 2008/2013
RunRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-05-2012, 10:19 AM   #318
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFigawi View Post
I'm sure you'll find us somewhere along the way. Usually takes us about 6-7 hours since we don't just drink and waddle off to the next country. We like to see the exhibits, etc., along the way.

Starting with tequila makes for a really long afternoon. Finishing around dinner time with tequila and Mexican food makes for a great end to the afternoon. Or so we've found out.
Aaaah. Good thinking! See you there! Look down through the crowd because I'm really short, but everyone will probably hear me before they see me! LOL
Old 12-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #319
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtwins1112
DS19months is way better today. He got a second antibiotic shot yesterday and started his liquid ones today. He doesn't have a fever and actually wants to play. Thanks for the prayers, guys. The dr said that he should not be contagious once his fever is gone for 24 hours, so hopefully, as long as he is feeling well, we will be going to the ymca tomorrow morning.

And BTW Holy Crap! The marathon is only 5 weeks from this weekend!
Great! Glad he's feeling better. And yeah, 35 days until Marathon Weekend starts!!!!!
Ariel484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #320
crowland87
Earning My Ears

Just got back from the doctor! He is pretty sure its just shin splits but wants to rule out a stress fracture so I have an MRI scheduled for Monday and a follow up appointment Wednesday. I asked him if he thought it would be ok if I walked the marathon, and he said that would be fine but he'd like to see me run it instead :-) optimism is good medicine, right? Lol!

Has anyone else dealt with shin splints before? How long was your recovery? This has been almost 4 weeks for me now.
crowland87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #321
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowland87 View Post
Just got back from the doctor! He is pretty sure its just shin splits but wants to rule out a stress fracture so I have an MRI scheduled for Monday and a follow up appointment Wednesday. I asked him if he thought it would be ok if I walked the marathon, and he said that would be fine but he'd like to see me run it instead :-) optimism is good medicine, right? Lol!

Has anyone else dealt with shin splints before? How long was your recovery? This has been almost 4 weeks for me now.
It can take forever, especially if one is not resting the small tibial muscles, running on worn out shoes and/or correcting structural issues. Now I am not saying that you are doing any of these three.

Follow the docs orders as you wait for the MRI. I would purchase a calf compression sleeve for comfort. The warm and compression will make the area feel better. On the walk/run it will help keep the inflamed muscle from ‘flopping’ on the foot strike.

At your next visit, see if you can get a PT script; if not already visiting a PT. They will look at the leg structure and give you some work to strengthen the leg.
If you shoes are old – say in the 300+ miles, gab some race shoes for January.
Make sure you are stretching your legs (calves) post run. Also, try shortening your stride just a bit. Over striding can cause the tibial muscles to snap on heal impact which can create the splints.

Hopefully, this is a soft tissue issue and you will be released to get back on course for the race.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #322
Weluvdisny
I'm alot calmer than I thought I would be
We're all CRAZY for Disney!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM393 View Post
Well, tonight was a perfect night in Upstate NY. Even though I got poured on it was in the 60's so I got to wear shorts and really I liked running in the rain. Well after having a pain I. The side of my leg for over a month and havin major difficulties actually doing my runs, I am happy to say I've now had my best run of the year! It felt great and I finally feel like I'll be able to complete my runs with no pain!

Less than 40 days, I've got a countdown at worked and extremely excited! I hope everyone has good runs this week!
Fellow Upstater here! I thought it was a great night to run also. I'm not used to running when it's so dark out so I have to get used to that. I need to get some better reflective wear. So my neighbors say. Any suggestions?

I'm getting pretty excited for our trip too! I've been to WDW a few times during MW but have never competed in it. Can't wait!!

Weluvdisny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #323
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

I just want everyone here to see the extent of my anal planning. DH makes fun of me every trip but every time we come home, he says what I great job I did and how happy he is that we got so much done. LOL

Old 12-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #324
sunshine269
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danhockey04 View Post
If anyone would like to earn a medal while training, there is a race here in Florida doing a virtual race, entry fee is $30 and you do a 13.1 mile run on your own between now and December 9. You then post on their facebook page of your distance and time (incase you do more than 13.1). They will send out medals after the race and may have to wait 4-6 weeks however for an additional order. The registration ends December 6 I believe. I did it to help me with training to get me over the 13.1 limit. I did 15.75 miles today and completed the virtual race.

The following link brings you to the race page.
http://www.floridaholidayhalfathon.com/

The medal is shown in following link.
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...23658476_n.jpg

If you do register, thanks. They are trying to reach $10,000 for Partners For Life Foundation, created by Lorraine Yaslowitz to memorialize her husband Jeff, a K9 police officer in St. Petersburg, FL lost in the line of duty on January 24, 2011. Last I heard, 15 participants were needed to reach that goal, they had over 240 virtual participants.

Just signed up for this. Thanks for posting

Jennifer
sunshine269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #325
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I just want everyone here to see the extent of my anal planning. DH makes fun of me every trip but every time we come home, he says what I great job I did and how happy he is that we got so much done. LOL
I like the spreadsheet o'fun! One thing we always do during DATW is not repeat colors for drinks. Makes it more interesting that way, so maybe you can add that to your schedule too.

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #326
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFigawi View Post
I like the spreadsheet o'fun! One thing we always do during DATW is not repeat colors for drinks. Makes it more interesting that way, so maybe you can add that to your schedule too.
Will do!

Just got an email. shoebuy.com is offering $30 off $60 orders if you use a code and checkout using v.me which I guess is kind of like Paypal.

For all of you who need shoes, here you go!

ShoeBuy: $30 Off $60 Today

Get $30 off any $60 order with code EMLVME30OFF60 when you check out using V.me by Visa at ShoeBuy. This is one of the best coupons we've seen from ShoeBuy! A best bets are thei LifeStride Explode Riding Boots, which drop from $70.95 to $40.95 (which beats our previous low mention by $21), or these Men's Timberland Baluster Chukkas , which drop from $94.95 to $64.95. The V.me option is located above the PayPal option at checkout, has no fee, and accepts all major credit cards. Sales tax is not charged in most states.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #327
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:

]
For the record, we are not married.

I have a spreadsheet with the same info on it. Though I do note the EMH on the sheet. Crazy stuff
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #328
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
For the record, we are not married.

I have a spreadsheet with the same info on it. Though I do note the EMH on the sheet. Crazy stuff
Phew! so happy to know I'm not the only one. My mother is going to flip when she sees my very detailed itinerary. She's used to my dad, who was one to just meander and if he got on a ride, he got on, if we were pissed because we missed out, oh well. LOL
Old 12-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #329
jimandami
DIS Veteran

When we do family trips, I am an uber planner as well. For Marathon Weekend, it is just DH and I and we hardly plan anything. I have made only 3 ADRs (Be Our Guest ) and we do have a list of a few things we haven't done before that we would like to do (Segway Tour, Campground) but that's pretty much it. Last year, we spent 7 nights around Marathon Weekend and literally rode less than 10 rides...and had a wonderful time!

Oh and count us in for DATW...I have made shirts!
jimandami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #330
irishtwins1112
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I do the same thing too. The moment I know I am going to Disney.....*scratch that* Even when I have no immediate plans to go to Disney, I make elaborate spread sheets with park hours/dining plans/not to miss snacks/adult beverages and rides that I don't want to miss. Sometimes I make the mistake of asking DH what he thinks about a particular thing on the itinerary and he's all "I don't know where I want to eat or do in the parks months from now. I don't think about food unless I am hungry and I would rather just decide when we get there, so lets talk about it later". I guess that is why he is so thin! His idea of a vacation is not having to do anything on a timetable and I am the opposite. I like to know what I am doing and when I am doing it. Somehow we always survive our vacations.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: