Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #301
liznboys
I wish upon stars!
I met the Tag Fairy in VMK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmamiDEdos View Post
I've read the best thing to do is carry your race day gear on the plane. If the airline loses your luggage, you'll still be prepared.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.
I carry everything with me on board (one roll on in the overhead bin and one bag under the seat). No checked bags here! I'm glad I don't need to.

Done: 2010 WDW Half, 2010 W&D Half, 2011 WDW Half, 2011 Princess Half, 2011 W&D Half, 2012 WDW Half, 2012 WDW Full Relay-1st Leg, 2013 WDW 5K/Goofy, 2013 DL 5K/Dumbo Double Dare/Coast to Coast
Doing: 2014 Dopey
liznboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #302
RunRookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmamiDEdos

I've read the best thing to do is carry your race day gear on the plane. If the airline loses your luggage, you'll still be prepared.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.
That is what I did this January. I had a backpack and my large gym bag as carry-ons. Between the two I had all the running gear needed for my races plus toiletries and GU/Bloks. I checked our big luggage bag with our clothes and other stuff. I figured Magical Express would find our luggage eventually if it got lost (and no problem finding clothes to wear at Disney if need be).
Half Fanatic #1852 and Marathon Maniac #6743
My Blog: My Journey to Healthy Living

2014: Los Angeles Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Carmel Marathon
2013: WDW Family 5K | WDW Goofy Challenge | Surf City Marathon | Little Rock Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Cherry Blossom 10M | Flying Pig 3-Way Challenge (5K/10K/Half) | Soldier Field 10M | Chicago RnR Half | Biggest Loser 15K | Howl at the Moon Ultra 50K | Dumbo Double Dare (10K/Half) | Crystal Lake Half | Heritage Haul Half | Fox Valley Half | Marine Corps Marathon | Strides for Hunger 5K | Space Coast Half

Disney Trips: Disneyland 1972-1978, Disney World 2000/2007/2012/2013, Disney Cruises 2003/2005, Disneyland 2008/2013
RunRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #303
kmg148
DIS Veteran

Really wanted to do a short run tonight but I am too worried about my knee. Still felt some pain so I'm going to wait until Thursday. I really don't want to bag the 18 this weekend, so I'm following everyone's advice in resting when I know I need it!

The one positive I'm finding is that it's tearing me apart not to run today! I want to run so bad and I've never had that feeling before at any point during any training..so I take that as a positive!
kmg148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #304
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by liznboys View Post
That's exactly the plan I made! I'm glad to hear it's a good one.

I have a more used pair (used for most of my training) that I'll wear for the half and a less used pair (only used on my longest runs) that I'll use for the full. They are the exact same pairs of shoes so I used a Sharpie on one pair to distinguish them.

The only bad thing about bringing two pairs of shoes is fitting them into the luggage. No checked bags for me, just my carry-ons. I know in the past with just one pair I didn't have tons of room so it's going to be tricky! I may have to carry a pair in my purse. lol
As Rick and others have said, the better idea is to wear a pair and pack the marathon shoes. That would allow you to carry on your running gear.

I actually only carry on one pair of shoes and clothing for the marathon. The remainder gets checked. My logic is relatively simple... I have a washer drier in the DVC villa and will generally launder and then wear the same clothing for for Sunday. The rare occasion that the drier fails to work - I have a back up set just in case.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #305
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmg148 View Post
Really wanted to do a short run tonight but I am too worried about my knee. Still felt some pain so I'm going to wait until Thursday. I really don't want to bag the 18 this weekend, so I'm following everyone's advice in resting when I know I need it!

The one positive I'm finding is that it's tearing me apart not to run today! I want to run so bad and I've never had that feeling before at any point during any training..so I take that as a positive!
Hang in there. You have a good base. It is a good sign that you are wanting to run. Just remember that a running a day or two early can push you back a week.

See you on the road
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 12-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #306
liznboys
I wish upon stars!
I met the Tag Fairy in VMK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
As Rick and others have said, the better idea is to wear a pair and pack the marathon shoes. That would allow you to carry on your running gear.

I actually only carry on one pair of shoes and clothing for the marathon. The remainder gets checked. My logic is relatively simple... I have a washer drier in the DVC villa and will generally launder and then wear the same clothing for for Sunday. The rare occasion that the drier fails to work - I have a back up set just in case.
Yeah...like I said...I don't check any bags so I will be carrying on all of my running gear. I will find room for my two pairs of shoes in my bags.

Done: 2010 WDW Half, 2010 W&D Half, 2011 WDW Half, 2011 Princess Half, 2011 W&D Half, 2012 WDW Half, 2012 WDW Full Relay-1st Leg, 2013 WDW 5K/Goofy, 2013 DL 5K/Dumbo Double Dare/Coast to Coast
Doing: 2014 Dopey
liznboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:26 PM   #307
dreams91
DIS Cast Member
Loves to veg out in front of the TV on QVC scrap days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtwins1112
Off topic.....but please pray for my DS19 months. He started with fever Sunday and was diagnosed with pneumonia yesterday evening, He started with vomiting and diarrhea this morning. He is so pitiful. Thankfully MIL is watching DS 9 months today like she did yesterday. Of course, all he wants to do is lay on me so I haven't able to go to the y since saturday and I'm not gonna get there until he gets better. My sweet boy takes priority.
Oh gosh. I hope he feels better soon!

dreams91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:34 AM   #308
rocio
DIS Veteran

Zelly, you really are an inspiration!
Irishtwins, I'm sorry to hear your little one is so sick. Sending healing thoughts your way.
To all who are nursing injuries, hang in there! Here's hoping we can all make it to the starting line and finish line!

Now for an important marathon question: when is the celebratory DATW? I seem to recall Monday at some point. Has a time and place been set? Can anybody join in? I'll spending the day alone park hopping so want to make sure I end my marathon theme parking with some marathon celebrating.
rocio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:47 AM   #309
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocio View Post
Now for an important marathon question: when is the celebratory DATW? I seem to recall Monday at some point. Has a time and place been set? Can anybody join in? I'll spending the day alone park hopping so want to make sure I end my marathon theme parking with some marathon celebrating.
We'll be starting DATW at Canada. Meet there around 1130 or so. They officially don't start serving until 12, but last time they started pouring a little early. We'll make our way around to Mexico, stopping along the way to eat and visit the countries and their exhibits. Once we're done, we'll probably head back to England for more celebrating and fireworks watching.

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:00 AM   #310
rocio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFigawi

We'll be starting DATW at Canada. Meet there around 1130 or so. They officially don't start serving until 12, but last time they started pouring a little early. We'll make our way around to Mexico, stopping along the way to eat and visit the countries and their exhibits. Once we're done, we'll probably head back to England for more celebrating and fireworks watching.
Oh this is serious! I didn't realize this started so early. I was thinking late afternoon. Any way I could catch up later? Will there be any identifiers for us latecomers to spot the group? ;-)
rocio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:17 AM   #311
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFigawi View Post
I was thinking about starting at La Cava first but Canada sounds good too!
Old 12-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #312
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunRookie View Post
I was just checking my two pair of running shoes this morning and realized that with their current 'wear pattern' and the amount of miles I have planned between now and WDW, I will need to make a shoe purchase now (in order to have time to have them broken in for WDW). One pair will be 'done' by WDW Weekend, so buying a new pair now will ensure I have two decent pair for race weekend.

So just a reminder that everyone should check their shoes now and see where things stand. If you have to pick up a new pair now, you have plenty of time to get them 'broken in' for your Disney races.
I'm hoping to get another 2.5 weeks out of my current pair, but I'll be cutting it close. I have 2 new pairs waiting in the wings...(bought them on Black Friday ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
One question that usually comes up from first time Goofy runners concerns shoes. I would seriously consider bringing two pair for the weekend. Run in the more worn shoes on Saturday and then your newer, less worn shoes on Sunday. You can get away with one pair, but if you have any issue with rain, puddle, sweating, a fresh pair of shoes on Sunday would be very welcomed.
That's what I plan on doing...thanks for the confirmation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
I can't multi-quote on my iPad (or I haven't figured it out yet)...[snip]...
I can't either. I really like the iPad/iPhone apps but it drive me nuts that you can't multi-quote or paste links into threads. Glad to hear the foot is doing better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernRDH View Post
This was my thought exactly, remembering how soaking wet my shoes were after the half in '10. I just got a new pair of Brooks Adrenaline 13's (in the lime green no less) and am wearing those for the full. My 12's I will run the half in.
I got those too! I also got them in the blue color...they're purdy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liznboys View Post
...[snip]...The only bad thing about bringing two pairs of shoes is fitting them into the luggage. No checked bags for me, just my carry-ons. I know in the past with just one pair I didn't have tons of room so it's going to be tricky! I may have to carry a pair in my purse. lol
Last year for the marathon I packed all of my race stuff in my checked bag...as soon as I got on the plane I got SO paranoid that my luggage was going to get lost and was incredibly relieved when Magical Express delivered it to my room later. So I'm carrying everything on this year, too.

All you DATW'ers are much more hardcore than I am...get it done!!!
Ariel484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #313
cewait
DIS Veteran

Making plans and am confused ...

WISH meets at the Pop on Friday afternoon/evening? It's been 4 years or so since I attending pre-race meals.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 12-05-2012, 09:14 AM   #314
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Jeff Galloway put this up on Facebook today. Interesting article on how it's not the lactic acid buildup in our muscles that make us fatigued but rather our brains.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...id&hl=en&gl=us
Old 12-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #315
irishtwins1112
Mouseketeer

DS19months is way better today. He got a second antibiotic shot yesterday and started his liquid ones today. He doesn't have a fever and actually wants to play. Thanks for the prayers, guys. The dr said that he should not be contagious once his fever is gone for 24 hours, so hopefully, as long as he is feeling well, we will be going to the ymca tomorrow morning.

And BTW Holy Crap! The marathon is only 5 weeks from this weekend!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: