Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #2791
sunshine girl
DIS Veteran

Location: Once a Floridian, always a Floridian (but currently elsewhere)

I'm sorry to see so many have joined me in getting sick post-race. Ugh!

I hadn't heard about the flu shot possibly being a dud this year. I get the shot every year because I have asthma. I'm still not over being sick, my lungs are a mess and it is really a bummer. I had hoped to continue to build off this marathon and keep running, and moving forward in general, but am taking some forced time off instead!

Like Coach, I am planning on this race being a springboard to a great 2013! Cheers to all, again, everyone has such inspiring stories.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #2792
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan4mickey View Post
On the flu shot thing...
did anyone feel like they were getting the flu about 24 hours after the shot?
sore throat, fever? I'm hoping that may be the key. If one felt poorly right after them one's body was building up against a full blown case.

Anyway, just hoping that feeling poorly 24 hours after shot is my ticket to wellness.

For those that feel horrible hope you make a speedy recovery.
Every once in a while I will get a small fever or cold....

Just saw a study suggesting that the best thing to do post shot is to go for a 90 minute run. The thought is that it 'spreads' the vaccine out and the run activates the body to produce the necessary receptors to produce the immunity.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #2793
DisDan09
Earning My Ears

I came down with a cold as well. Still trying to clear my chest. UGH!

As for the marathon itself; Great first 17 miles then the temp just nailed me. I'm a cold weather lover anyway so anything over 70 bothers me. Wasnt to thrilled about the WWoS section. I too miss the first Epcot loop. Loved getting thru AK without the crowds and down the parkway before the sun and heat combined. Wound up run/walking the last 6 miles. Just past the 20 marker I looked over and there was Coach Galloway right next to me doing the exact same thing lol! By HS I noticed a lot more run walkers and by Epcot a lot more walkers lol... I have to say the marathon medal is excellent (and the "few" beers at the Biergarten that night)

Cheers to everyone who ran!
Old 01-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #2794
Diskidatheart
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post

Final Thoughts.

I was happy to complete the weekend. The year leading into this race was less than banner for me personally. I am using this as a springboard to kickoff a new year.

Thanks Coach for all your encouraging words and advice prior to the race. Glad you are starting to feel better. I finished my first half marathon and missed my goal of finishing under 2 hours by 64 seconds. All things considered (injury, walking EPCOT the day before, and the heat), I'm really happy with my time. The marathon weekend has inspired me to complete a couple of more half marathons in the upcoming months, including one each in Maui and Pittsburgh.

After walking around with my first ever medal on Saturday, my wife wants to do the half marathon next year. She's never been a runner, but we will find a plan that fits her ability so that she can earn her first medal too. I was very envious of all those walking around with their Goofy medals the next day and I thought if my wife wants to do the half marathon, then I'm going to do it with her and then I can run the marathon the next day and get a Goofy medal of my own.

I too am using this race as a springboard kick off a new year. Many little tweaks to my training schedule too...I'm starting a Yoga class to stretch and strengthen my muscles and I'm starting a Core class to get stronger. Hopefully these two classes combined with a solid training program will get me through my first marathon and first Goofy next January!

Thanks to everyone on this board who contributes. Your words and stories have given me the desire to do this. I applaud all of you .
Diskidatheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #2795
JeffW
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diskidatheart View Post
I was very envious of all those walking around with their Goofy medals the next day and I thought if my wife wants to do the half marathon, then I'm going to do it with her and then I can run the marathon the next day and get a Goofy medal of my own.
That kind of thinking last year earned me my first Goofy this year, including running the half with my wife. With a good training plan, its amazing what you can get your body to do

Oh, and watch out, it's addictive (Dumbo Double Dare here I come!)
JeffW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #2796
RunRookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffW

That kind of thinking last year earned me my first Goofy this year, including running the half with my wife. With a good training plan, its amazing what you can get your body to do

Oh, and watch out, it's addictive (Dumbo Double Dare here I come!)
Yeah! What JeffW said! LOL

I ran my first Half in 2012 and then decided to do Goofy because I saw so many of my friends doing it and having so much fun! So this year, it was awesome walking with those same friends with our Goofy medals! (And yes, I just had to sign up for the Dumbo because I want that Coast-to-Coast medal too)

My addiction is in full force! Hahaha
Half Fanatic #1852 and Marathon Maniac #6743
My Blog: My Journey to Healthy Living

2013: WDW Family 5K | WDW Goofy Challenge | Surf City Marathon | Little Rock Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Cherry Blossom 10M | Flying Pig 3-Way Challenge (5K/10K/Half) | Soldier Field 10M | Chicago RnR Half | Biggest Loser 15K | Howl at the Moon Ultra 50K | Dumbo Double Dare (10K/Half) | Crystal Lake Half | Heritage Haul Half | Fox Valley Half | Marine Corps Marathon | Strides for Hunger 5K | Space Coast Half

Disney Trips: Disneyland 1972-1978, Disney World 2000/2007/2012/2013, Disney Cruises 2003/2005, Disneyland 2008/2013
RunRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:54 AM   #2797
princessbride6205
DIS Veteran

My parents were so inspired by cheering us on that they want to run the WDW half next year! I think it helps to see all the shapes, sizes, and speeds to realize that if you want it, you can do it!
2013 WDW Marathon * 2013 Dumbo Double Dare / Coast to Coast! * 2013 Wine & Dine
2014 WDW Half * Next up: 2014 Glass Slipper
princessbride6205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #2798
steph0808
Mouseketeer

Anybody else itching to run? I got the flu and a cold before the marathon but still made it through. I was sore Monday and Tuesday after the race, but Wednesday I felt completely fine and have since. But the cold was kicking my butt, but today I am finally feeling almost normal.

I want (and possibly need for my mental health) to run very badly!

I am worried about losing fitness, though I should still be okay (I mean, less than 2 weeks ago, I did run a marathon).

I am planning on running Pittsburgh in May (anybody else?) and now I am trying to decide which Disney race to do next! I am thinking ToT, but I may hold out for marathon weekend!
5k PR - 25:52
10k PR - 56:31
Half Marathon PR - 1:58:59
Marathon PR - 6:42:53
steph0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #2799
Mickey'sfriend
DIS Veteran

I did my first post marathon run on Wednesday and was suprised at how good my legs felt. I was a little more winded than expected, but the temp was only 21 degrees, so maybe that had something to do with it. I was looking forward to a short run again tonight, but it's snowing and blowing here. Sorry to hear about everyone's illnesses! Marathon runners are definitely more vulnerable to illness up to 2 weeks after the race. Hang in there!
Old 01-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #2800
mufasa0505
DIS Veteran

This was my first Half, too. I also am feeling like I want to go Goofy next January. I was so jealous of that medal and felt like "big deal, I ran 1/3 of that.". Is that crazy-stupid talk, or totally plausible? I've seen a few people between here & fb saying that this was their first Goofy AND Marathon, but I'm wondering if I'm setting myself up for injury.

Disney Bride
September 19, 2005

mufasa0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:17 PM   #2801
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufasa0505 View Post
This was my first Half, too. I also am feeling like I want to go Goofy next January. I was so jealous of that medal and felt like "big deal, I ran 1/3 of that.". Is that crazy-stupid talk, or totally plausible? I've seen a few people between here & fb saying that this was their first Goofy AND Marathon, but I'm wondering if I'm setting myself up for injury.
It's not crazy-stupid talk. I did the marathon and have 4 other halves under my belt. Once I saw everyone with their Goofy medals I really felt like, "I should have done that." Mickey was my first marathon and I didn't want to kill myself in training and end up injured. Now that I know can do the full I am planning on Goofy 2014. Now if my bank account can just keep up with my runDisney addiction I'll be good. Signed up for DDD as an ease into Goofy. Plus I'll get my C2C. Can't turn down 4 medals in one weekend. Now I just have to stay healthy for Princess!
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
ColleenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #2802
RunRookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufasa0505
First of all, your first Half is a BIG DEAL!!!! Congratulations!!

I know exactly how you felt cuz that was me in January 2012 after I ran my first Half. And I went for it and completed the Dopey this January. So it is doable. You just have to do the training wisely so you avoid injury, and you too, can wear that Goofy medal in 2014. I will wait until 2015 to run Goofy again when it is the 10th anniversary of the Challenge and there will certainly be a new Goofy medal that year.

2013: WDW Family 5K | WDW Goofy Challenge | Surf City Marathon | Little Rock Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Cherry Blossom 10M | Flying Pig 3-Way Challenge (5K/10K/Half) | Soldier Field 10M | Chicago RnR Half | Biggest Loser 15K | Howl at the Moon Ultra 50K | Dumbo Double Dare (10K/Half) | Crystal Lake Half | Heritage Haul Half | Fox Valley Half | Marine Corps Marathon | Strides for Hunger 5K | Space Coast Half

Disney Trips: Disneyland 1972-1978, Disney World 2000/2007/2012/2013, Disney Cruises 2003/2005, Disneyland 2008/2013

Last edited by RunRookie; 01-26-2013 at 06:05 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:52 PM   #2803
lerxst
Marathoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunRookie

First of all, your first Half is a BIG DEAL!!!! Congratulations!!

I know exactly how you felt cuz that was me in January 2012 after I ran my first Half. And I went for it and completed the Dopey this January. So it is doable. You just have to do the training wisely so you avoid injury, and you too, can wear that Goofy medal in 2914. I will wait until 2015 to run Goofy again when it is the 10th anniversary of the Challenge and there will certainly be a new Goofy medal that year.
I am hoping i get my Goofy medal by 2914. ;-)

Disney 2012 Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon -- Done!
Disney 2013 20th Anniversary Marathon -- Done!
2013 Gate River Run 15k -- March 9, 2013
Disney 2013 Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon -- waiting reg
Disney 2014 Goofy and 1/2 Challenge -- waiting reg
lerxst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:02 AM   #2804
CaptHomer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufasa0505 View Post
I didn't train any different for the Goofy than I would have for the marathon by itself with a couple of exceptions. I ran 2 back to backs of 8 and 17 at the first of November and a 10 and 15 at the end of December.

If you don't try to go out and set a PR for the half then you will be fine.
CaptHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:07 AM   #2805
RunRookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerxst

I am hoping i get my Goofy medal by 2914. ;-)
Oops!! But will you be alive in 2914?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: