Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #226
belle2211
DIS Veteran
 
belle2211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Right behind the Magic Kingdom
Posts: 1,919

So I guess its a good thing I never got a reply back from Disney about switching from the half to the full. I hurt my knee back when I did the 16 on the Monday before Thanksgiving. It was extreemely painful that day and the next then slowly got a little better (I can walk with no pain, but hurts to bend down and have twinges every now and then). So I tried 4 miles last Sunday, got to 3.75 and it started bothering me a lot again. So I took the week off and tried again today. I could only get to 1.5 before I had to stop and walk home. I'm so frustrated! I've been using the stick to roll every part of the leg I can think of. I've been researching sympton of knee injuries and nothing seems to be mine. I have a 5k in 2 weeks and while I know I can push through the pain, I don't know if it's smart. I guess its time to go to the doctor. What kind? Sports medicine? Any one know of any good doctors to go to down here in the Orlando area?
belle2211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #227
MightyDuck001
Mouseketeer
 
MightyDuck001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 472

It was supposed to be my cut back, easy week in terms of long runs but by mile 3 something really nasty happened to my left calf. I finished the 12 and my last mile was, oddly enough, my strongest of the week, but now I think my calf is royally messed up.
So survey questions:
1. When do you decide to cut a run short and take a week completely off from running? I'm emotionally conflicted about taking the whole week off just to be safe (oh, did I mention my developing cold?) this close to January, but I never took off after Wine and Dine and I do have scheduled for this week a fun, Garmin free, holiday 8k.

2. For anyone who's done this before, how much can I move around the long runs? I'm doing Higdon, so I did 12 this week, 12/7 is 18, 12/14 is 14, 12/21 is 20 then 12 and 8. I really want to bump the 20 miler to the 14th and the 14 miler to the 21st--it's just easier to get the miles in before going home (where I can't run 1/2 a mile without a god forsaken hill) for the holiday but does that mess with the taper? Am I begging for an injury?

My co-workers have already started joking about getting me my own rascal scooter as a reward for finishing my first marathon.
MightyDuck001 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #228
cewait
DIS Veteran
 
cewait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm
Posts: 5,691

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyDuck001 View Post
It was supposed to be my cut back, easy week in terms of long runs but by mile 3 something really nasty happened to my left calf. I finished the 12 and my last mile was, oddly enough, my strongest of the week, but now I think my calf is royally messed up.
So survey questions:
1. When do you decide to cut a run short and take a week completely off from running? I'm emotionally conflicted about taking the whole week off just to be safe (oh, did I mention my developing cold?) this close to January, but I never took off after Wine and Dine and I do have scheduled for this week a fun, Garmin free, holiday 8k.

2. For anyone who's done this before, how much can I move around the long runs? I'm doing Higdon, so I did 12 this week, 12/7 is 18, 12/14 is 14, 12/21 is 20 then 12 and 8. I really want to bump the 20 miler to the 14th and the 14 miler to the 21st--it's just easier to get the miles in before going home (where I can't run 1/2 a mile without a god forsaken hill) for the holiday but does that mess with the taper? Am I begging for an injury?

My co-workers have already started joking about getting me my own rascal scooter as a reward for finishing my first marathon.
1) Pain and where the pain is located. Generally if the pain is a joint or where a large tendon could be involved (like a low calf) I will take time if needed.

It's better to come to the race a little undertrained and well then well trained and injured.

Take the midweek off for the cold and your legs will thank you.

2)
I see no issue with sliding your schedule as described with a trade of scrapping the 18 miler. The issue is that if you are on the cusp of injury, running an 18 followed by a 20 can be just enough to push you over the line. So I would cut the 18 making the progression 14, 20, (ADD) 14-16, 12, 8


Hope this helps
__________________
_________________
Coach Charles
Perfectly Goofy 2006-2014
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #229
cewait
DIS Veteran
 
cewait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm
Posts: 5,691

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle2211 View Post
So I guess its a good thing I never got a reply back from Disney about switching from the half to the full. I hurt my knee back when I did the 16 on the Monday before Thanksgiving. It was extreemely painful that day and the next then slowly got a little better (I can walk with no pain, but hurts to bend down and have twinges every now and then). So I tried 4 miles last Sunday, got to 3.75 and it started bothering me a lot again. So I took the week off and tried again today. I could only get to 1.5 before I had to stop and walk home. I'm so frustrated! I've been using the stick to roll every part of the leg I can think of. I've been researching sympton of knee injuries and nothing seems to be mine. I have a 5k in 2 weeks and while I know I can push through the pain, I don't know if it's smart. I guess its time to go to the doctor. What kind? Sports medicine? Any one know of any good doctors to go to down here in the Orlando area?
Sounds like you need to find one. I would look for an orthopedic doc who specialized in sports...one who takes care of a few high schools or CFU. They are more likely to treat you as an athlete rather than a hobbled weekend warrior. Not giving medical advice, I would consider a cortisone shot (assuming no major issue). This will kill the inflammation and allow you to complete the race. The timing now would also possibly allow a follow up injection for the Princess if needed. Hopefully, this with a pittle PT and you will not remember the issue.

In the interim, head to the sports store and grab a neoprene knee brace. They have some with velcro anchored straps above and below the knee to keep the brace in place. These are not the monster braces you see for NFL linemen, rather a sleeve with possibly a small amount of bracing. The brace will provide compression through the day and help the knee feel better.

I guess with any luck, I will be shopping for docs in the near future. Let me know who you find.
__________________
_________________
Coach Charles
Perfectly Goofy 2006-2014
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:15 AM   #230
MightyDuck001
Mouseketeer
 
MightyDuck001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 472

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
1) Pain and where the pain is located. Generally if the pain is a joint or where a large tendon could be involved (like a low calf) I will take time if needed.

It's better to come to the race a little undertrained and well then well trained and injured.

Take the midweek off for the cold and your legs will thank you.

2)
I see no issue with sliding your schedule as described with a trade of scrapping the 18 miler. The issue is that if you are on the cusp of injury, running an 18 followed by a 20 can be just enough to push you over the line. So I would cut the 18 making the progression 14, 20, (ADD) 14-16, 12, 8


Hope this helps
Thank you--that definitely helps. It's not the lower calf that's bothering me, it's the top part (or as I jokingly told someone the "fattest part"). It just felt really tight but when I woke up this morning it felt so much better....
MightyDuck001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #231
guava
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa
Posts: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle2211 View Post
Any one know of any good doctors to go to down here in the Orlando area?
Last November my husband ran the Celebration Health Founder's 10K, I was nursing an ankle injury so I spent some time walking around the booths they had set up. I stopped in and talked to the docs at the Florida Hospital Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation booth. I thought they were extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I can't vouch for them in a patient/doctor setting, but I feel like I got more value from them during about a 10-15 minute free consultation then I have gotten from my personal ortho in numerous appointments. If they were closer, I definitely would have made an appointment with their group. They have a lot of offices throughout Orlando including one in Celebration. Hope your knee heals quickly!
guava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #232
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!
 
Dug720's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,265

I finally had a really good, easy-feeling long run (ok, so it was a cutback week, but...) this weekend and am feeling more ready and confident about the marathon.
__________________
Dug720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #233
cewait
DIS Veteran
 
cewait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm
Posts: 5,691

Bib Numbers are NOT up

But, thought the title would get a little anxiety to surface.

Here is the deal. For the last three years the waivers have come out on a date in this week of the calendar. With any luck, the timing will not change with the fall back of the event date.

Guesses?

I am guessing Wednesday at 5 pm EST.
__________________
_________________
Coach Charles
Perfectly Goofy 2006-2014
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #234
liznboys
I wish upon stars!
I met the Tag Fairy in VMK!
 
liznboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 8,588

Well I got my postponed 10/20 back to back done yesterday and today, and they went great! I am feeling good about Goofy now!

Coach~good luck with the job stuff!

I hope the bibs come out this week, can't wait to see them!
liznboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #235
rocio
DIS Veteran
 
rocio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
But, thought the title would get a little anxiety to surface.

Here is the deal. For the last three years the waivers have come out on a date in this week of the calendar. With any luck, the timing will not change with the fall back of the event date.

Guesses?

I am guessing Wednesday at 5 pm EST.
I'll play. My guess is Wednesday, Dec. 12.

I did my 10 mile run (following your advice Coach on the modified training schedule). Felt good until the last mile or so and had a little foot stiffness but otherwise my ankle/foot felt fine. Next up 14-16 miles.
rocio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #236
Danhockey04
Mouseketeer
 
Danhockey04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Celebration, FL
Posts: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
But, thought the title would get a little anxiety to surface.

Here is the deal. For the last three years the waivers have come out on a date in this week of the calendar. With any luck, the timing will not change with the fall back of the event date.

Guesses?

I am guessing Wednesday at 5 pm EST.
Last year, the site was created 12/6 at 8:22 am. The race code was w12wdw. This information is found on the index page of the trackshack, disneysports page: http://www.trackshack.com/disneysports/

So guess we may have another week till they come out is my opinion.
__________________
Move along, nothing important here, you are just wasting time reading my signature.
Danhockey04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #237
Ariel484
DIS Veteran
 
Ariel484's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,041

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
But, thought the title would get a little anxiety to surface.

Here is the deal. For the last three years the waivers have come out on a date in this week of the calendar. With any luck, the timing will not change with the fall back of the event date.

Guesses?

I am guessing Wednesday at 5 pm EST.
I'll also guess December 12...hopefully earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liznboys View Post
Well I got my postponed 10/20 back to back done yesterday and today, and they went great! I am feeling good about Goofy now!

Coach~good luck with the job stuff!

I hope the bibs come out this week, can't wait to see them!
Way to go!! I've got the 10/20 this week...
Ariel484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #238
ironz
could always use some pixie dust
 
ironz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: TX
Posts: 2,101

Hang in there with the training, everyone! It is totally NORMAL to feel like crud in the last few big weeks....the race has been on your mind for MONTHS, adding mental stress (even if excitement, it is stress physiologically) to the physical stress, and it is ok to get a little tired of it all. But...we're almost there!


And a question for Charles...thoughts on trail running "equivalents"?? 2 of my last 3 long runs were trail races (using the term "race" very loosely), and of course, with technical, hilly, rocky, twisty turny trails, there is a definite decrease in pace. But, the time on my feet, moving forward with aerobic activity, is increased compared to on the road. So...I'm thinking my 4 hour 25K and my 3:45 half marathon (harder trail than the 25K) sort of "count" as about 19 and 16 miles respectively, give or take, if I tried to make it equal to the time I might have covered on the road. (oh, yeah...they were super slow...I don't want to risk an injury running down a narrow rocky trail at this point)

Of course, they are in the log book as the true distance covered.....but I think (hope?) a greater training effect was gained with the added time in motion.
Thoughts?
__________________
Betsy

"The miles aren't going to run themselves."

ironz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #239
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!
 
Dug720's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,265

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
But, thought the title would get a little anxiety to surface.

Here is the deal. For the last three years the waivers have come out on a date in this week of the calendar. With any luck, the timing will not change with the fall back of the event date.

Guesses?

I am guessing Wednesday at 5 pm EST.
Isn't it usually about a month out from the start of the weekend? So I'm thinking next week.
__________________
Dug720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #240
liznboys
I wish upon stars!
I met the Tag Fairy in VMK!
 
liznboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 8,588

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel484 View Post
... Way to go!! I've got the 10/20 this week...
Thank you! Good luck with yours, you will do great!
liznboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: