Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #1771
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocio View Post
Mental note: buy a hat with a brim.
If you are not running with a hat now, I would suggest a tech fabric visor. The top of the head is the largest heat sink for the body and covering it for the first time in a race can cause an issue.

http://www.headsweats.com/categories...rmance-Visors/

Running on a day of showers can be a refreshing run - even enjoyable with the temps forecast today. The key is a visor to shield your face from direct drops, tech fabric, extra attention to lube and then avoiding low spots.

The largest issue at WDWM for puddles is in the parks. Also, stay OFF painted surfaces on roadways. The reflective material in road paint is icy slick once wet; as are areas where buses may have parked or slowed (center of the lane coming into an intersection, center of lane in toll booths and the bus lot just after the TTC monorail station)
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #1772
Tabetha
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle2211 View Post
Hi all! 2 random questions

1) After the half, is there a place to get our medals engraved? I got them done for ToT and W&D, but both of those had in park parties afterwards. Do they have them in the parking lot somewhere or not do them?

2) Question about PT...I have gone 2 times now for my knee (no one can decide if its ITBS or runners knee or both). Anyways, the first time was last Thursday. The physical therapist showed me a bunch of stretches to do and how to use a foam roller and told me to do them at home. Great. So I've been doing them everyday. I went back yesterday and they just had me do the same thing again. Nothing new. Is that normal? I feel like I paid $25 for what I had been doing at home!
Weird. My PT does TENS therapy (electrodes), ultrasound, massage and traction in a visit.
He will also then show me some stuff to do at home.
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #1773
Mickeyfan74
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by liznboys View Post
We need to be in our corrals at 5am.

There are some of us (including Mickeyfan74-Colleen) from the Donald's Defiant Dashers group who are meeting at the corner of Disney Vacation Club Way and Bonnet Creek Parkway (on the corner closest to POFQ) at 4:45am on both the half and full mornings. That'll give us 15 minutes to get to our corrals, which are super close to that spot.

This is the map I use to look at the area..this link will hopefully take you to the intersection of DVC Way and BC Pkwy. You can see that there is a grassy area on that corner closest to POFQ that we can meet at. And then all we have to do is cross over BC Pkwy, cross that bridge, and the corrals will be right in front of us.

Link: DVC Way & BC Pkwy
Really Liz? 4:45AM? That will be enough time? I am a punctual person.

Well I will plan on meeting up with the Riverside folks maybe by 4:20AM? THen we can all traverse over to OKW intersection to meet you and the others for Saturdays Half.
Mickeyfan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #1774
rocio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmamiDEdos View Post
What if the FBI tells the rain to freeze???? Then we're really screwed!!!
YIKES!!! Good point. I'll refrain from calling the FBI then.
rocio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #1775
MRS AR
DIS Veteran

I am so excited for everyone that is running next weekend. I too have been obsessing about race time weather. I'm running my 1st 1/2 M tomorrow and rather than worrying about heat I'm nervous about the 36 degree starting temp. I live in S MS so I've only trained a few days that cold. I'm hoping race day excitement will warm me up. I've tried to run in a hat on a cold run before but had to carry it the last few miles. Just too sweaty. Good luck to all as you are about to reach your goals! I'll be at Disney for the PHM in Feb.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #1776
SPAM
DIS Veteran

Has anyone used the Futuro Sport Adjustable Knee Stabilizer?
http://www.futuro-usa.com/wps/portal...5148274&rt=rud

I have had problems with lateral knee pain due to weak hips and have gone through 2 months of PT. I start off fine during a half but later on my knees hurt so bad I am reduced to walking. I have tried KT tape but have issues with it staying on and have tried the IT Band strap but that doesn't seem to help and they fall off. I know it's bad form to wear something during race day that you didn't practice with but I am going to be hurting regardless. I am less concerned with how long it takes me to finish and more concerned with how my legs feel the next couple of days at the parks.

Does anyone have any experience with braces like this? Will this be okay to run in?
Old 01-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #1777
BealsRwe
DIS Veteran

So sad I am registered for the 1/2 marathon Sat, but due to injury, can't do it. This should have been my 7th 1/2 marathon. I'm too late to even attempt to defer, so I guess its just a really expensive running shirt I will be picking up! Happy I can be there to cheer hubby on Sunday! Good luck everyone!

Platinum DCL
17 DCL cruises, 1 Carnival, 1 Royal Caribbean, and counting!!!
BealsRwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #1778
Reep
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPAM View Post

I have had problems with lateral knee pain due to weak hips and have gone through 2 months of PT. I start off fine during a half but later on my knees hurt so bad I am reduced to walking. I have tried KT tape but have issues with it staying on and have tried the IT Band strap but that doesn't seem to help and they fall off. I know it's bad form to wear something during race day that you didn't practice with but I am going to be hurting regardless. I am less concerned with how long it takes me to finish and more concerned with how my legs feel the next couple of days at the parks.

Does anyone have any experience with braces like this? Will this be okay to run in?
That brace is very heavy duty. Have you just tried a neoprene knee sleeve? Just some basic compression to hold it together may help too. That is what I would try (but before the race).

Also, I have had good luck with the CW-X 3/4 tights to help knee issues. They have some light, but real support structures around the knee area. Worth looking at.
Reep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #1779
SPAM
DIS Veteran

Do you have any suggestion for which one to try?
Old 01-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #1780
kmg148
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunRookie View Post
Last January, there was a tent area where you could take your medal and have it engraved on the spot. It costs $25 'cash' and you give them your medal and wait about 15 minutes before it is completed. They have a laptop and pull your official finish time right there if you want that engraved. So bring some cash with you.
For the Princess, they had a table at the expo. I think they had other things for sale there, which is why I didn't see it initially..I saw it on my second trip around. I gave them my cash there and they filled out a green slip of paper. I honestly can't remember if they gave me anything as a receipt. They wrote down my name and I went directly to the engraver after the race and didn't have to wait in line.

It was kind of confusing and I felt like I was cutting the line, but that's what they told me to do!
kmg148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #1781
robynslp
Mouseketeer

Grrr...I am finally get the IT band stuff settled down but now when I run the same leg is getting sore in the shin. I slightly overpronate on the left and my right is neutral. Is this just my shin getting used to the IT band working? I may be walking 26.2 after all...
robynslp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #1782
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:

Just curious as to how fast you are running and then how fast you are walking. I have had knee issues that prevent me from running and have tried a number of stabilizers with the Cho-Pat being what I am using now. They are more comfortable than the others and I actually feel them aiding in the forward motion of stride recovery. They might not give you all the support you may need but I thought I would just mention them.

I went out this morning with very tired legs and walked a very short 4.25 mile distance in a 10:01mpm pace. Not great but without the Cho-Pats my knees would have collapsed.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #1783
SPAM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN View Post
Just curious as to how fast you are running and then how fast you are walking. I have had knee issues that prevent me from running and have tried a number of stabilizers with the Cho-Pat being what I am using now. They are more comfortable than the others and I actually feel them aiding in the forward motion of stride recovery. They might not give you all the support you may need but I thought I would just mention them.

I went out this morning with very tired legs and walked a very short 4.25 mile distance in a 10:01mpm pace. Not great but without the Cho-Pats my knees would have collapsed.
When I am at the top of my game I run a 9:30 or 10 min mile. However my average over the half ends up being closer to 12 with all the walking. I was considering doing the Galloway 2 min run: 1 min walk but was trying to find a way to better stabilize my knees. Last time I used the KT tape and it was flapping in the wind by mile 5.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #1784
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:

I have not run in that brand but the concept is what you may be looking for. First, I would ask the PT for their recommendation as they may point you in a direction different that I will.

For running, I would look for a design similar to this 1) an open knee to prevent pushing the patella into the joint for 4-7 hours. 2) I would also look for one that has a cut out behind the knee to prevent material bunching up and rubbing the area raw. 3) While optional, I like the Velcro strapping as a regular sleeve will always feel like is falling down.

I like DonJoy products as I know the last and have a heavy ortho review.

http://www.betterbraces.com/donjoy-reaction-knee-brace - This may be heavy for a first run at 26 miles, but I used it through my injury last summer.

http://www.betterbraces.com/donjoy-p...r-knee-support - This is a minimal design – I would feel like I needed to pull up all the time… Though a minimal investment and really a no-harm design. (I would try this style if you can find…)

I would look for as minimal a brace as you can find. I would run on Friday or your first morning in WDW to make sure you have a feel for it. It will not feel natural. Lube the area around the patella as this will start to abrade after some time on the road.

Good Luck
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 01-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #1785
cewait
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robynslp View Post
Grrr...I am finally get the IT band stuff settled down but now when I run the same leg is getting sore in the shin. I slightly overpronate on the left and my right is neutral. Is this just my shin getting used to the IT band working? I may be walking 26.2 after all...
More than likely compensation issue more than anything else. Take an anti-inflammatory and ice. If your shoes are really old, you may want to use a back up pair. It is kind of late to recommend a new pair, but that may be better than shin splints.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: