Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #1741
angieruns
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the responses about the buses. I think we return to the hotel and then hop the bus to the expo. Hope we have enough time to make it to the kid races.
Solo Trip To DW: Feb. '13 - Port Orleans - French Quarter for the Princess Half Sixth Trip to DW: Jan. '13 - Port Orleans - French Quarter for the Disney Marathon Fifth Trip to DW: Nov. '11 - Polynesian Resort Fourth Trip to DW: Jan. '10 - Port Orleans - French Quarter for the Disney Marathon Solo Trip To DW: Oct. '09 - All Star Sports for the ToT 13K Third Trip to DW: Nov. '07 - Animal Kingdom Lodge Second Trip to DW: Sept. '00 - Grand Floridian First Trip to DW: June '99 - Caribbean Beach
angieruns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #1742
JeffW
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieruns View Post
Thanks for the responses about the buses. I think we return to the hotel and then hop the bus to the expo. Hope we have enough time to make it to the kid races.
If it's the Mickey Mile, note that the start time is 1.5 hours after the start of the other kids races.
JeffW is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #1743
LSUfan4444
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmamiDEdos View Post
I would have liked the robot more if he looked like this...

LOL
That was a good one - has anyone seen this one? Not specific to marathon training, but still funny and I am sure some people here can relate to the sacrifices made while training.

http://www.trijuice.com/2010/12/im_t...ronman_con.htm

ADULT LANGUAGE IN VIDEO

LSUfan4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #1744
angieruns
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
If it's the Mickey Mile, note that the start time is 1.5 hours after the start of the other kids races.
Unfortunately no. The youngest starts at 11:15. No shower for DH until later.
Solo Trip To DW: Feb. '13 - Port Orleans - French Quarter for the Princess Half Sixth Trip to DW: Jan. '13 - Port Orleans - French Quarter for the Disney Marathon Fifth Trip to DW: Nov. '11 - Polynesian Resort Fourth Trip to DW: Jan. '10 - Port Orleans - French Quarter for the Disney Marathon Solo Trip To DW: Oct. '09 - All Star Sports for the ToT 13K Third Trip to DW: Nov. '07 - Animal Kingdom Lodge Second Trip to DW: Sept. '00 - Grand Floridian First Trip to DW: June '99 - Caribbean Beach
angieruns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #1745
dislvr74
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the marathon spectator information!
dislvr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #1746
MightyDuck001
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph0808 View Post
I am at POR too if you want a bus buddy!
Yes!! Please!

Bag check I've never done. I know for W&D people changed out of their running clothes because they hung around EPCOT for another couple of hours but personally I have what I call my "personal bag check" aka my sister who is meeting me near the finish. On me I'll have my phone, camera and room key but I'll have her bring a jacket if it's chilly and my flip flops so I can take my sneakers off. I LOVE being able to take my sneakers off.

I can already hear myself going "aaahhh" as I slide them off and wait to see if I still have all my toenails...

Last edited by MightyDuck001; 01-03-2013 at 07:18 PM.
MightyDuck001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #1747
2gr8DisneyKids
DIS Veteran

Is there a Thurs dinner meet-up?

POLY 1979, POLY 1990, Treehouse 1993, one-day visit 1996, DL OS 2000, CR 2007, CBR 2009, POLY (Princess 1/2) & 3-night DCL 2010, POP 2010, 7-night NYE Eastern DCL 2010, 2011 AKL/POP and BLT/BC and OKW, 2012 POFQ/Vero Beach and AKV, 2013 POP (Goofy Race and a Half) and Vero Beach/CSR, 2014 AoA (Minnie 10K)
2gr8DisneyKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #1748
Sabeking
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasgat View Post
I've got about a dozen WISH temporary tattoos that I plan to bring to the POP meet. Would look great on an arm or cheek (facial )

Maura
Holy Cow this thread is moving fast! I would love a tattoo but I don't think we are going to make it. I promised the kids we would go to AK but if we have time we will come by. Thanks for the offer; where did you get them by the way? I will look for all you lime green folks and wish shirts!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #1749
belle2211
DIS Veteran

Hi all! 2 random questions

1) After the half, is there a place to get our medals engraved? I got them done for ToT and W&D, but both of those had in park parties afterwards. Do they have them in the parking lot somewhere or not do them?

2) Question about PT...I have gone 2 times now for my knee (no one can decide if its ITBS or runners knee or both). Anyways, the first time was last Thursday. The physical therapist showed me a bunch of stretches to do and how to use a foam roller and told me to do them at home. Great. So I've been doing them everyday. I went back yesterday and they just had me do the same thing again. Nothing new. Is that normal? I feel like I paid $25 for what I had been doing at home!
belle2211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #1750
Reep
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle2211 View Post

1) After the half, is there a place to get our medals engraved? I got them done for ToT and W&D, but both of those had in park parties afterwards. Do they have them in the parking lot somewhere or not do them?

2) Question about PT...I have gone 2 times now for my knee (no one can decide if its ITBS or runners knee or both). Anyways, the first time was last Thursday. The physical therapist showed me a bunch of stretches to do and how to use a foam roller and told me to do them at home. Great. So I've been doing them everyday. I went back yesterday and they just had me do the same thing again. Nothing new. Is that normal? I feel like I paid $25 for what I had been doing at home!
Most of the work for PT is knowing what to do and doing it. For ITBS the foam roller and ITBS stretches are the key (and not increasing mileage or distance too much and not running on sloped roads). For Runner's Knee it is usually about getting the inflammation down and strengthening your quads. That's about all that really can be done.

It should be easy to distinguish the two. ITBS hurts directly on the exterior side of the knee. Runner's Knee is like under the knee cap. I have had both in the past. If you have ITBS, be very careful at WDW. The roads are highly canted in many places. Always look for where the road is the flattest and try and stay on that line.
Reep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:25 AM   #1751
RunRookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle2211

Last January, there was a tent area where you could take your medal and have it engraved on the spot. It costs $25 'cash' and you give them your medal and wait about 15 minutes before it is completed. They have a laptop and pull your official finish time right there if you want that engraved. So bring some cash with you.
Half Fanatic #1852 and Marathon Maniac #6743
My Blog: My Journey to Healthy Living

2014: Los Angeles Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Carmel Marathon
2013: WDW Family 5K | WDW Goofy Challenge | Surf City Marathon | Little Rock Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Cherry Blossom 10M | Flying Pig 3-Way Challenge (5K/10K/Half) | Soldier Field 10M | Chicago RnR Half | Biggest Loser 15K | Howl at the Moon Ultra 50K | Dumbo Double Dare (10K/Half) | Crystal Lake Half | Heritage Haul Half | Fox Valley Half | Marine Corps Marathon | Strides for Hunger 5K | Space Coast Half

Disney Trips: Disneyland 1972-1978, Disney World 2000/2007/2012/2013, Disney Cruises 2003/2005, Disneyland 2008/2013
RunRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:59 AM   #1752
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Quote:

If PT has given you a regimen of strengthening and stretching to do, and you are comfortable doing them on your own, then my opinion (not medical) is that you should be fine doing it on your own. I speak from experience. I went to PT for IT band when I first had it and at $100+ a pop for sessions it was an expensive fix. In January when I had strained hip flexors, I just had the doc give me the exercises and skipped PT.

PT is great for some injuries--they helped me when I had my herniated cervical disk (diagnosed it before my sports med guy)--but for others, I think--and my doctor thinks--it's okay to go it alone.

Maura
jmasgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #1753
DisneyDaze36
Mouseketeer

Getting nervous!

Long time lurker, first time poster!

I can not thank everyone on this thread enough! You have all answered so many questions for a first time half marathoner! This will be my husband and my first half marathon. What a better place to do it at than Disney!!

We are even more excited about taking a Disney trip without our 3 boys!!! Haven't done Disney without them since they started arriving!

Best of luck to everyone and have a magical run!!!
Jen

DisneyDaze36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:36 AM   #1754
Sabeking
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDaze36 View Post
Long time lurker, first time poster!

I can not thank everyone on this thread enough! You have all answered so many questions for a first time half marathoner! This will be my husband and my first half marathon. What a better place to do it at than Disney!!

We are even more excited about taking a Disney trip without our 3 boys!!! Haven't done Disney without them since they started arriving!

Best of luck to everyone and have a magical run!!!
Jen
Welcome Jen and good luck to and your DH!
Old 01-04-2013, 08:49 AM   #1755
tehvalerie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
That's exactly why I stopped going to PT--except my copay was $60!! We never did anything hands-on, she just gave me things to work on at home. I quit after the third appointment. Obviously this would vary person to person, but no, I don't think it's incredibly uncommon.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: