Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #1726
Ariel484
DIS Veteran
 
Ariel484's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,905

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
Helium or hot air?

BTW - I like the photo. The guy just in front of the pacer looks just like my office neighbor. Though, it can't be him as he thinks Disney is 'silly'. Then the guy behind her is looking at you with a "why are you wasting energy?' look.

This must be mile 6-7 on the old marathon course
ER...hot air. I swear, I am totally useless this week. I blame it on taper + knowing the trip is so close...yeah, we'll go with that.

Too bad I couldn't have held the camera still a little better. The weird thing is I was standing in a character line (Professor Ludwig Von Drake), so I can't even use "I was running" as an excuse for such a blurry photo...

Good call, it's right before mile marker 7 on the 2012 course.
Ariel484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #1727
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran
 
PRmamiDEdos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Capital of the World!!
Posts: 2,446

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freight Train View Post
Nothing's cheesier than what I'll be wearing, at least for the half!

-bright yellow Reverse Flash T-shirt (over run shirt) (a comic book character--easy to Google image if you're curious)
-red shorts
-lime green knee-high socks
-blue propeller beanie hat
-(for the last mile or so) a red cape

I'm going much more conservative for the full. I'll be wearing a T-shirt over my run shirt that says "Cool Daddy Alexa Approved" with a picture of my kiddo on it.

If you see me, come say hello! I'd love to put faces with names!

Dave
If my DH is nearby, he'll probably say something. He's a HUGE comic book reader.


As for the bag check, I think I'll check a bag this year. Since Disney has been in the habit of giving out glorified garbage bags as race bags, I'll probably stick my stuff in one of my better race bags and then close it up in the Disney bag with my bib number attached to both bags (draw the zip tie through the loops of both bags, just in case). I'm thinking of something really good to have in the bag that I will definitely want to eat after running 26 miles. Sea salt caramels from KK perhaps? A pair of my soft Crocs (the ones with the furry lining, so cozy), a dry tee, undies and shorts and probably a hoodie. I know it doesn't make sense to change since I'm going straight back to my hotel, but riding on the bus with sweaty undies at the PHM 1/2 last year felt disgusting.
__________________
PRmamiDEdos is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #1728
dislvr74
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 467

Hi! Long time lurker, first time poster here...

Do any of you know when buses from TTC to AK will begin running? AK opens at 9:00 on the 13th and all I can find on the Disney site is that buses begin running 60-90 minutes before park opening. I think my family can catch me leaving AK (I'm slow) if they can get on a bus before 8:00. I estimating at least an hour to get from TTC to AK by bus. Is that too optimistic?

Any suggestions for getting from AK to DHS? I was thinking they could take a bus from AK to Dolphin or Boardwalk and then walk to DHS (again, I'm slow and they will have a lot of travel time), but it occurred to me that the path might be totally closed.

This thread has been so helpful and I appreciate all the great advice!
dislvr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #1729
CarrieR
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,402

Ariel, thanks!!! That actually helps immensely. One small stick shouldn't be too bad, as long as nothing pops near her. We've attended events with huge balloon arches - that gets concerning re what could be aerated downwind.

Costume-wise, I am working on sewing something Minnie-esque. BFF is going for Belle. I have a heap of fabric on the kitchen table, now if only my sewing machine would cooperate!
__________________
Trips as a kid at ages 7, 12 and 16. As an adult, single days in 2006 & 2009, Christmas week 2008, and seven trips as a 2011-2012 AP holder.
2013: WDW Half in January (I DID IT!!), February Conference weekend at YC(?!) and Girls' Spring Break in April...
Next trip: August 2013, unless I sneak one in sooner...
CarrieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #1730
angieruns
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 12

Question: Will there be a bus from Epcot to the Expo during the Half Marathon? The kids are going to be running the kid runs and was wondering if there will be a bus.

TIA!
__________________
Angie , wife to DH , mom to DS (8.5) & DD (5)
-------------------
Seventh Trip to WDWS: Oct. '2014 - Port Orleans - French Quarter
Solo Trip To DW: Feb. '13 - Port Orleans - French Quarter for the Princess Half Sixth Trip to DW: Jan. '13 - Port Orleans - French Quarter for the Disney Marathon Fifth Trip to DW: Nov. '11 - Polynesian Resort Fourth Trip to DW: Jan. '10 - Port Orleans - French Quarter for the Disney Marathon Solo Trip To DW: Oct. '09 - All Star Sports for the ToT 13K Third Trip to DW: Nov. '07 - Animal Kingdom Lodge Second Trip to DW: Sept. '00 - Grand Floridian First Trip to DW: June '99 - Caribbean Beach
angieruns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #1731
Diskidatheart
Mouseketeer
 
Diskidatheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 497

I probably won't be doing any running between now and the Half. I injured my Soleus on my 12 mile run this past Sunday and have been trying to heal. My doctor is doing stim treatment. He said the cause was due to my ankle so he's trying to work on that as well. 2 more appts this week and if all goes well, I might try a couple of 2-3 mile easy runs. Since I'm not running, I'm riding the exercise bike at they gym to continue some cardio work. I guess it could be worse, the injury could have occurred this weekend instead of last and left me almost no time to heal. I'm hoping that the past 4 months of training were enough to get me through this. No matter what, I'll be running the race and crossing the finish line...even if I have to crawl across it.
Diskidatheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #1732
rocio
DIS Veteran
 
rocio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 537

A little pre-race humor
http://www.theonion.com/video/scient...adline:default
rocio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #1733
Ariel484
DIS Veteran
 
Ariel484's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,905

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieR View Post
Ariel, thanks!!! That actually helps immensely. One small stick shouldn't be too bad, as long as nothing pops near her. We've attended events with huge balloon arches - that gets concerning re what could be aerated downwind.

Costume-wise, I am working on sewing something Minnie-esque. BFF is going for Belle. I have a heap of fabric on the kitchen table, now if only my sewing machine would cooperate!
ACK, you said balloon arches and I just remembered that there MAY be one of those along the course...I can't remember where though, so keep an eye out. They definitely had one at the Princess Half in the past.
Ariel484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #1734
Bephus
DIS Veteran
 
Bephus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Julington Creek, FL
Posts: 855

Coach- I am trying to figure out a plan for my family to cheer me on during the full. Do you think this is doable?
My group is DH, DS(6), DD(4), and my parents (56 and 58). We are staying at BCV/Swan and are driving. I am taking the bus to the start. I am starting in corral A and am aiming for between 9:00 and 9:30 mm depending on weather.

Plan A: Drive to AK parking lot, arrive around 7:00 and get to entrance to cheer until I arrive around 7:30-7:45. Then head back to resort and walk to DHS. Enter park at open (9:00?) and cheer runners/ride attractions until I arrive (I haven't figured that time.)

I think this will be very easy for them to do, so my actual question is:
plan B: do you think they could slip over to mile 20 in between? Is WWoS going to be crazy? I was thinking they could maybe do AK, drive to WWoS, back to resort and cheer from BC if they can't get to DHS. Thoughts? Am I asking too much? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________
~Beth
= Me, = DH, = DS7, = DD5

2013 Race Schedule:
Disney Marathon - 20th Anniversary
26.2 With Donna 1/2 Marathon
Princess 1/2 Marathon - Girl's Weekend!!!
Tour de Pain Extreme - It's Extremely Fun!! 10K, 1/2 Marathon and 5K in 24 hours
Dumbo Double Dare! Coast to Coast for my 35th Birthday
Savannah Rock'n Roll 1/2 Marathon
St Augustine 1/2 Marathon
Subaru Distance Classic 1/2 Marathon
Space Coast Marathon

Bephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #1735
Ariel484
DIS Veteran
 
Ariel484's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,905

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieruns View Post
Question: Will there be a bus from Epcot to the Expo during the Half Marathon? The kids are going to be running the kid runs and was wondering if there will be a bus.

TIA!
I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that Expo buses only run to/from the resorts... Anyone else know?
Ariel484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #1736
cewait
DIS Veteran
 
cewait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm
Posts: 5,691

Quote:
Originally Posted by dislvr74 View Post
Hi! Long time lurker, first time poster here...

Do any of you know when buses from TTC to AK will begin running? AK opens at 9:00 on the 13th and all I can find on the Disney site is that buses begin running 60-90 minutes before park opening. I think my family can catch me leaving AK (I'm slow) if they can get on a bus before 8:00. I estimating at least an hour to get from TTC to AK by bus. Is that too optimistic?

Any suggestions for getting from AK to DHS? I was thinking they could take a bus from AK to Dolphin or Boardwalk and then walk to DHS (again, I'm slow and they will have a lot of travel time), but it occurred to me that the path might be totally closed.

This thread has been so helpful and I appreciate all the great advice!
I would anticipate that the buses will start at about 0800, or maybe just a little later. The issue is that the bus area of TTC is also the course with water stop. I would expect the last runner to clear the TTC around 7:30. Also, it will take longer than normal for the trip as buses will not be able to take World Dr south. I would expect that once they do catch a bus they will be at AK within an hour.

I would suggest NOT going into the park, rather, camping out near the bus stop. The park is confusing with lots of bends and pathways narrow.

From AK, I think heading to the Epcot resorts area is a great idea. I would stay on the bus until the BW stop. That puts them on the side where they do not need to cross the course. You are correct in your assumption; the sidewalk to DHS is closed to all but the race. I would suggest either watching at the end ot the Boardwalk or heading into Epcot and watching from the point where you enter World Showcase (Great Britain). After you pass GB, they can walk the non course line to the front, exit the park and wait for you in the family reunion area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieruns View Post
Question: Will there be a bus from Epcot to the Expo during the Half Marathon? The kids are going to be running the kid runs and was wondering if there will be a bus.

TIA!
I always get this wrong and am sure to be corrected if I did again. I think one must transfer at a resort then take a marathon bus to WWoS. Depending on the time, you could hail a cab to speed things up if needed.
__________________
_________________
Coach Charles
Perfectly Goofy 2006-2014
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #1737
Princess Steph
Mouseketeer
 
Princess Steph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 261

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniebeth View Post
Hi Princess Steph! We are with Run For Our Sons too! I'm sure you got good advice from Coach's information. Last year the monorails ran really slow and were backed up quite a bit so we weren't able to do both the Polynesian and the finish line for the 1/2. Our crew ran just too fast. Usually it works out well for the full. This year I'm walking the 1/2 with some friends in our group.
The monorail has worked well with our group in the past, driving is a headache. You may already be aware, but there is roped off HA areas for spectators at the finish. Have fun!!!!
Thanks Minniebeth! The better strategy might be to watch at the TTC and then the finish. Maybe I will see you at the PPMD finishers tent. I will be with Team Z-Man (Zack!)
__________________
Off site-88 CBR-89 Dolphin-95 CSR-98 BWV-03 POFQ-04
SSR-06 POP-09 CBR-10 CSR-11
CR-12 POR-12 Poly-13 YC-13 POR-13 Poly-14
Princess Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #1738
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran
 
PRmamiDEdos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Capital of the World!!
Posts: 2,446

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocio View Post
I would have liked the robot more if he looked like this...



LOL
__________________
PRmamiDEdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #1739
cewait
DIS Veteran
 
cewait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm
Posts: 5,691

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bephus View Post
Coach- I am trying to figure out a plan for my family to cheer me on during the full. Do you think this is doable?
My group is DH, DS(6), DD(4), and my parents (56 and 58). We are staying at BCV/Swan and are driving. I am taking the bus to the start. I am starting in corral A and am aiming for between 9:00 and 9:30 mm depending on weather.

Plan A: Drive to AK parking lot, arrive around 7:00 and get to entrance to cheer until I arrive around 7:30-7:45. Then head back to resort and walk to DHS. Enter park at open (9:00?) and cheer runners/ride attractions until I arrive (I haven't figured that time.)

I think this will be very easy for them to do, so my actual question is:
plan B: do you think they could slip over to mile 20 in between? Is WWoS going to be crazy? I was thinking they could maybe do AK, drive to WWoS, back to resort and cheer from BC if they can't get to DHS. Thoughts? Am I asking too much? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Geez you parents are old Sorry, as a 54 yo, I would not resist.

Issues--- Plan A – they will need to take the water taxi. Add to their commute time.

Plan B… If they are driving, yes, maybe. If they are flexible and kind of understand the property layout it would be very helpful. This issue is that the trip back out of AK will have a slight back up as they hit Buena Vista (the AllStar exit). They must exit there and then follow Buena Vista to Victory (CBR Corner). When they hit Osceola again, they will be forced over to the outbound or north bound lanes of Victory as they make the last little section into WWoS. With an A corral start, neither of these should be an issue, but if one or the other create a large back up, then they should back up and default back to Plan A. Oh, leaving WWoS may be difficult as well – but you are in front of the heavy impact times.

I do think traffic in and out of WWoS will be crazy, but not as bad for as it will be for the 12-14 minute pacers. If they can swing it, it looks like the Champion Stadium will be open. It will make a great photo op as you come into the stadium from the outfield and loop the warning track. I do think that WW0S takes DHS out of the equation from a commute standpoint as I think about it. I would head to BC or even into the Epcot; camping out at Great Britain.

Final thoughts on DHS -- I like the idea of cheering from the resorts over DHS. If they want DHS, I would suggest hanging out in front of the park so they can see you coming out and the Cast Member gate. If BC is the place, stake out a spot nearer the hill or even in the park at Great Britain.

Hope this helps.
__________________
_________________
Coach Charles
Perfectly Goofy 2006-2014
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #1740
Bephus
DIS Veteran
 
Bephus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Julington Creek, FL
Posts: 855

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait
Geez you parents are old Sorry, as a 54 yo, I would not resist.

Issues--- Plan A – they will need to take the water taxi. Add to their commute time.

Plan B… If they are driving, yes, maybe. If they are flexible and kind of understand the property layout it would be very helpful. This issue is that the trip back out of AK will have a slight back up as they hit Buena Vista (the AllStar exit). They must exit there and then follow Buena Vista to Victory (CBR Corner). When they hit Osceola again, they will be forced over to the outbound or north bound lanes of Victory as they make the last little section into WWoS. With an A corral start, neither of these should be an issue, but if one or the other create a large back up, then they should back up and default back to Plan A. Oh, leaving WWoS may be difficult as well – but you are in front of the heavy impact times.

I do think traffic in and out of WWoS will be crazy, but not as bad for as it will be for the 12-14 minute pacers. If they can swing it, it looks like the Champion Stadium will be open. It will make a great photo op as you come into the stadium from the outfield and loop the warning track. I do think that WW0S takes DHS out of the equation from a commute standpoint as I think about it. I would head to BC or even into the Epcot; camping out at Great Britain.

Final thoughts on DHS -- I like the idea of cheering from the resorts over DHS. If they want DHS, I would suggest hanging out in front of the park so they can see you coming out and the Cast Member gate. If BC is the place, stake out a spot nearer the hill or even in the park at Great Britain.

Hope this helps.
LOL- mom feels old this trip! Her foot is bothering her a little.
We may do a dry run of the drive to make sure DH knows where everything is. It might be much easier to just have them walk out to the front of the resort after driving all over the parks all morning. DH is not a morning or crowds person so there is only so much I can ask if him.
Thanks so much!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________
~Beth
= Me, = DH, = DS7, = DD5

2013 Race Schedule:
Disney Marathon - 20th Anniversary
26.2 With Donna 1/2 Marathon
Princess 1/2 Marathon - Girl's Weekend!!!
Tour de Pain Extreme - It's Extremely Fun!! 10K, 1/2 Marathon and 5K in 24 hours
Dumbo Double Dare! Coast to Coast for my 35th Birthday
Savannah Rock'n Roll 1/2 Marathon
St Augustine 1/2 Marathon
Subaru Distance Classic 1/2 Marathon
Space Coast Marathon

Bephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: