Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #1576
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,231

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDuck View Post
Road etiquette question---we are doing Galloway 2:00 run / 1:00 walk intervals. Where should we be? Right side? Is raising a hand prior to changing interval sufficient alert to those behind us? I want to be as least disruptive to those around me as I can. Thanks!!!
I would also add, depending on which corral you are in, consider hanging towards the back of your corral at the start unless you are willing to skip the first couple of intervals because of crowding.

I run a 2:1. During the W&D we were toward the front of the B corral and it was really hard to get in the first couple of intervals without getting way off the road or worrying about getting run over. After about the first mile it was a little better. We always raise a hand and try to stay to the right. Eventually lots of people were walking (whether they planned to or not ) and moving to the right was not as big a deal, though we tried really hard to make sure we did not start walking right in front of a runner.

Good luck!
__________________
Rose&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:11 PM   #1577
MightyDuck001
Mouseketeer
 
MightyDuck001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 472

Packing Question:

I've got two pairs of the same sneakers, one that I've been wearing from June for 90% of my runs and another I bought in November with lower mileage on them... Should I bring the newer ones? The older ones?
MightyDuck001 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #1578
cewait
DIS Veteran
 
cewait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm
Posts: 5,691

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post
I would also add, depending on which corral you are in, consider hanging towards the back of your corral at the start unless you are willing to skip the first couple of intervals because of crowding.

I run a 2:1. During the W&D we were toward the front of the B corral and it was really hard to get in the first couple of intervals without getting way off the road or worrying about getting run over. After about the first mile it was a little better. We always raise a hand and try to stay to the right. Eventually lots of people were walking (whether they planned to or not ) and moving to the right was not as big a deal, though we tried really hard to make sure we did not start walking right in front of a runner.

Good luck!
Not meaning to throw stones....

I guess I am a little less concerned about where I start and would not worry about my spot in the corral as long as I am in the proper corral. I just make sure folks can see I am about to whoa up, that is all that is required. I would NOT leave the pavement and would leave the person width space to the side. Why risk your ankle? Again, I would move to the side but not necessarily to the right. I would head to the side easiest to reach or try to keep to the outer radius of any upcoming corner. If I am in the proper corral, then while I get passed on the walk, I pass others on the run.

I did not mention earlier that one should also swivel their head around, also. That way you know you do not have a tail gated on your heals.
__________________
_________________
Coach Charles
Perfectly Goofy 2006-2014
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #1579
cewait
DIS Veteran
 
cewait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm
Posts: 5,691

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyDuck001 View Post
Packing Question:

I've got two pairs of the same sneakers, one that I've been wearing from June for 90% of my runs and another I bought in November with lower mileage on them... Should I bring the newer ones? The older ones?
I would wear the ones I felt most comfortable running the race in. If the newer ones feel good, then those would be my goto shoes. If you have any questions or fears about using the newer shoes, then the older ones may be the ones you want to bring. Thinking about it, I would think the newer ones would be the ones you would naturally grab for a run today do to better cushioning and ride.

If there is a question, bring both.
__________________
_________________
Coach Charles
Perfectly Goofy 2006-2014
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #1580
cewait
DIS Veteran
 
cewait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm
Posts: 5,691

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel484 View Post
I can't give you any advice on spectator stuff, but I can give you my best guesses on where characters will be. Again, these are GUESSES based off of what I saw in previous races.

STAGING AREA

There should be a character or two doing meet-ups near the DJ stage in the staging area before the races.

HALF (note that this is based off of what I remember from the Princess Half, which is the same course as the WDW Half):

Expect a character(s) just after Mile Marker (MM) 1 on the left.
Except a character(s) just after MM2 on the left.
*Cross under MK entrance gates, pass MM3*
Another character after MM3
Enter MK, take a right into Tomorrowland. Should be a character out in Tomorrowland (Buzz Lightyear, Stitch, Chip and Dale or Pluto in space gear, etc.)
Go into Fantasyland - should be Alice in Wonderland characters out in front of the Mad Tea Party
Should be characters in front of the castle (Cinderella characters?)
Princess and the Frog characters in Liberty Square
Should be characters in Frontierland (Woody or Jessie, etc.)
Characters backstage as you exit the Magic Kingdom with parade floats
More characters in between MM7 and MM8, including characters in golf gear on the golf course
Once you get to MM9 you're heading back toward Epcot, so you'll pass the characters you saw in the first couple of miles, this time on your right
Sarge after MM10
Character after MM11
Character after MM12
*Into Epcot*
Should be a couple of characters in Epcot
Should be a couple of characters at the finish line

FULL (based off of what I saw in the 2012 WDW Full):

I think the portion above through the Magic Kingdom will be similar since the courses are the same through that point...so a few characters in the beginning with LOTS in the Magic Kingdom and characters at the golf course.
Not sure who will be in or around the WDW Speedway...Cars characters? No one?
Another meet on the backroads as you head to Animal Kingdom.
Characters backstage as you enter the Animal Kingdom
Jammin Jungle Minnie and Mickey after you exit Animal Kingdom
Not sure what to expect in WWoS, but this is where the mile 20 surprise is...and I am expecting/hoping for lots of rare characters.
Some characters backstage as you enter Hollywood Studios and a character before you leave the studios.
Characters around World Showcase (normal ones that are out everyday - Aurora and Marie in France, Mulan in China, etc.)
A character or two at the finish


...

Perhaps it was unnecessary for me to type all that out and just say that the characters are spread out through the course...but there you go!

Obviously you can see that there are a LOT in Magic Kingdom, so if the meet-ups are important to you (obviously they are to me) plan on that being one of your longest miles of the race.
I am betting some sort of Cars Character in the speedway.
__________________
_________________
Coach Charles
Perfectly Goofy 2006-2014
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #1581
Cruz91
Always at Disney in my mind...
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,045

Taper Question

It's mostly a moot point now, but how do folkls handle taper of cross training activities before the race? I usually do at least 1 or 2 fairly aggressive stationary bike rides for my cross activity, usually 30-50 minutes each. I have about 3 more of those rides left before the race - should I cut the intensity?

Knock on wood, I've had no real injury issues during training. Wondering if I shouldn't risk any! ;-)
__________________
Nick Hotel - 3/1/06, Thanksgiving '06 (two weeks!), March '07
WH - Oct '07, Jan '08, Nov '08, March '09, Oct '09
WP - March '10
WH - Christmas '10 - OUR 10th trip!!
WBC - Spring Break '11, WH/WBC - June '11 (Surprise Trip)
WH - Thanksgiving '11,
AS-Sports - Solo Marathon Weekend '12 - I DID IT!!
WP - March '12
WH- June '12
Paradise Palms- TGiving '12 (also our 15th wedding anniversary)
AS Spo - Jan '13 Solo Marathon (again)
DW DH DD11 DS9
Cruz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #1582
Cruz91
Always at Disney in my mind...
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,045

And while I'm asking dumb questions...

...does anyone use salt tablets during the race? I didn't do any during training, so I don't plan on doing it during the race - just curious what others' experiences are.
__________________
Nick Hotel - 3/1/06, Thanksgiving '06 (two weeks!), March '07
WH - Oct '07, Jan '08, Nov '08, March '09, Oct '09
WP - March '10
WH - Christmas '10 - OUR 10th trip!!
WBC - Spring Break '11, WH/WBC - June '11 (Surprise Trip)
WH - Thanksgiving '11,
AS-Sports - Solo Marathon Weekend '12 - I DID IT!!
WP - March '12
WH- June '12
Paradise Palms- TGiving '12 (also our 15th wedding anniversary)
AS Spo - Jan '13 Solo Marathon (again)
DW DH DD11 DS9
Cruz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #1583
Princess Steph
Mouseketeer
 
Princess Steph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 261

Questions for Coach

We have a team with "Run for our Sons". We will be staying at the Poly. We will be in D corral. I was hoping that those not running the 1/2 and the full will be able to watch as we run by GF and then take the monorail to the finish. I know this is doable for the full, what about the 1/2? Also, does your spreadsheet have expected times near GF/Poly? I am concerned about the slow start. I don't want the kiddos waiting around too long, especially those in wheelchairs. Is there anywhere else along the route that is most easily accessible and that they can get to the finish easy? we will have a handicap van, but I know traffic is difficult. Some of them are fine on Disney transportation. Any good ideas about where the group can see us?
__________________
Off site-88 CBR-89 Dolphin-95 CSR-98 BWV-03 POFQ-04
SSR-06 POP-09 CBR-10 CSR-11
CR-12 POR-12 Poly-13 YC-13 POR-13 Poly-14
Princess Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #1584
cewait
DIS Veteran
 
cewait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm
Posts: 5,691

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz91 View Post
It's mostly a moot point now, but how do folkls handle taper of cross training activities before the race? I usually do at least 1 or 2 fairly aggressive stationary bike rides for my cross activity, usually 30-50 minutes each. I have about 3 more of those rides left before the race - should I cut the intensity?

Knock on wood, I've had no real injury issues during training. Wondering if I shouldn't risk any! ;-)
If these are not new to your program, then continue. Though, I would consider backing off next week's intensity by just a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz91 View Post
...does anyone use salt tablets during the race? I didn't do any during training, so I don't plan on doing it during the race - just curious what others' experiences are.
I use a buffered caplet from Hammer Nutrition. But understand that my balck shorts are usually crusted with white salts after drying. I have a higher than normal electrolytic component to my sweat ---- and a higher sweat rate than many. While I am do nothing new proponent on race day, I would not be afraid of taking on Endurolytes on race day - as long as one follows direction and hydrates well. It is mostly a buffer with a little added electrolyte.

I would not take pure salt. That can and may upset the GI system with little or no warning as the concentrated salts try to dissolve in the stomach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Steph View Post
We have a team with "Run for our Sons". We will be staying at the Poly. We will be in D corral. I was hoping that those not running the 1/2 and the full will be able to watch as we run by GF and then take the monorail to the finish. I know this is doable for the full, what about the 1/2? Also, does your spreadsheet have expected times near GF/Poly? I am concerned about the slow start. I don't want the kiddos waiting around too long, especially those in wheelchairs. Is there anywhere else along the route that is most easily accessible and that they can get to the finish easy? we will have a handicap van, but I know traffic is difficult. Some of them are fine on Disney transportation. Any good ideas about where the group can see us?
I know Run for Our Sons and think it a great team....

I think they could do both, see you at the Poly and then at the finish. It really is dependent on the monorail and the wait times, but if they are in wheelies, they may not have as much issue with the monorail. If worried, have them watch from the TTC and see you there. It will give them a little advantage over the Poly as it gets them to the finish area quicker. Actually, it may be better at the TTC as they are not separated by a traffic lane on the course. Regardless, they should plan on not taking the monorail to TTC - it's only a quarter mile jaunt.

PM your email address and I will forward the workbook. It will give a range for approaching both the TTC and Poly as well as expected finish time....
__________________
_________________
Coach Charles
Perfectly Goofy 2006-2014
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #1585
buckeyecinderella
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 443

Another one here who loves Sparkle Skirts.

Got some excellent cross training in today - shoveling the snow and under layer of ice in driveway. Shovel shovel shovel, chop chop chop!

Happy New Year everyone!
buckeyecinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #1586
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,231

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
Not meaning to throw stones....

I guess I am a little less concerned about where I start and would not worry about my spot in the corral as long as I am in the proper corral. I just make sure folks can see I am about to whoa up, that is all that is required. I would NOT leave the pavement and would leave the person width space to the side. Why risk your ankle? Again, I would move to the side but not necessarily to the right. I would head to the side easiest to reach or try to keep to the outer radius of any upcoming corner. If I am in the proper corral, then while I get passed on the walk, I pass others on the run.

I did not mention earlier that one should also swivel their head around, also. That way you know you do not have a tail gated on your heals.
I understand what you are saying, but my experience has been that in the b & c corral that it is hard to take the breaks during the first mile because it is so crowded if you are up near the front. I don't care about people passing me, I just don't want to get run over when it is really crowded. Cause you're right, I passed them during my running intervals. I agree that moving off the road really sets you up for twisting an ankle, which is why we will be hanging towards the back of the corral so that we are easily able to take the intervals and don't feel as if we are making it more difficult for other runners or ourselves during the first mile. The reality was during W&D it was so crowded during the first mile there were folks on our heals and there was not much we could do about it other than keep running or raise a hand and hope we didn't get plowed. For sanity sake, it is easier to just hang back imho.
__________________
Rose&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #1587
Weluvdisny
I'm alot calmer than I thought I would be
We're all CRAZY for Disney!!
 
Weluvdisny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Central NY
Posts: 3,011

I was just on e-bay and a guy is selling his wife's marathon bib for $150.00 for next week. I guess she is injured and can't compete but she will register and then you get to be her on race day.

Just seems shady to me and not right at all.
__________________
2/00 - ASMo & Villas @ DI, 1/03 & 1/06 - POR, 1/08 - POP & BWV, 11/08 - SSR, 1/10, 1/11, 1/12, 10/13 & 1/15-BWV, 8/12 AKV, 1/13 & 3/14 - CSR, 1/15-VWL

Weluvdisny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #1588
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran
 
goofeygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The deep blue sea
Posts: 846

Does anyone know where on rundisney.com you find your bib number and corral? I went to the website...runner info...corral placement and all I saw where numbers matched to the corrals...but no names.
Where would I find my name and number and corral placement?

Thanks!


And as for selling on ebay...who knows...Its a huge gamble. That person who is selling would still have to personally pup their bib I would guess...and that purchaser would have to go with them...and then do the selling after all is done...but to pay beforehand?
goofeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #1589
cewait
DIS Veteran
 
cewait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm
Posts: 5,691

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofeygirl View Post
Does anyone know where on rundisney.com you find your bib number and corral? I went to the website...runner info...corral placement and all I saw where numbers matched to the corrals...but no names.
Where would I find my name and number and corral placement?

Thanks!


And as for selling on ebay...who knows...Its a huge gamble. That person who is selling would still have to personally pup their bib I would guess...and that purchaser would have to go with them...and then do the selling after all is done...but to pay beforehand?
Your bib number is located on the waiver. Waivers are just below the corral assignment links. Scroll maybe a half to full page.
__________________
_________________
Coach Charles
Perfectly Goofy 2006-2014
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #1590
cewait
DIS Veteran
 
cewait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm
Posts: 5,691

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post
I understand what you are saying, but my experience has been that in the b & c corral that it is hard to take the breaks during the first mile because it is so crowded if you are up near the front. I don't care about people passing me, I just don't want to get run over when it is really crowded. Cause you're right, I passed them during my running intervals. I agree that moving off the road really sets you up for twisting an ankle, which is why we will be hanging towards the back of the corral so that we are easily able to take the intervals and don't feel as if we are making it more difficult for other runners or ourselves during the first mile. The reality was during W&D it was so crowded during the first mile there were folks on our heals and there was not much we could do about it other than keep running or raise a hand and hope we didn't get plowed. For sanity sake, it is easier to just hang back imho.
The thing that really caught my eye was move right comment. I am not sure with pushing all to one side came from (it is a recent thing) but it is really just to either side, preferably to the outer radius if coming into a bend. ... AND, I fully understand the feeling like one may have an interference fit (aka collision) in the front of a wave. I guess I have run enough races that I don't let that bother me, plus I know there are several folks in the A and B waves who do run/walk. Either thought process works.

Actually, I am more concerned about the person(s) who through some means should legitimately be in one of the last 2-3 waves but mysteriously starts in A/B. Somehow there is always 3-5 folks who will be passed early, walking 3 wide at a pace that I am not sure even meets 16 mm. I would love to know their system. I have seen several race morning techniques for corral hopping... just seems like I am starting to recognize a couple of folks.
__________________
_________________
Coach Charles
Perfectly Goofy 2006-2014
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/

Last edited by cewait; 01-01-2013 at 06:10 PM.
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: