DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #16
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
I wish they would charge for damaged/missing items at the WDW resorts...but at the same time I can see people contesting it with their CC companies. Plus the time needed to check for every single item or piece of dinnerware, and then decide if it is theft or normal wear and tear would likely be cost prohibitive...requiring much more housekeeping staff and upping our dues considerably.
They do it at AOA now, they have a card in the room stating that anything taken from the room will be billed.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #17
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
They do it at AOA now, they have a card in the room stating that anything taken from the room will be billed.
They used to have that same notice at OKW back when they had wired Internet, that if you took the cord, they'd charge you. Well, I was doing a split stay once and when I unpacked my laptop at the new resort, I discovered the cord still attached. I immediately called back to OKW and mentioned the charge. The CM laughed and told me, "Oh we don't really charge, we just have the card there." Way to enforce things (not).
Register to remove

Old 11-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #18
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

How would they know if a dish was stolen or just dropped and broken as part of normal wear and tear?

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #19
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
How would they know if a dish was stolen or just dropped and broken as part of normal wear and tear?
I would hope that members would report broken pieces, I know we did. I doubt those stealing something would. Plus if they put a notice in the rooms to please report anything broken, then the broken dish would be there to confer it was broken not stolen.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #20
dan and scott
DIS Veteran

The fiesta ware at BW used to be that little special touch. I'm sitting in my home now with 15yr old Sams Club dishes that are chipped and or broken.
I know u can buy fiesta wear at Kohls but as DVC gets bigger the "Dumbing Down of Disney" continues. We treat our home resorts BW and BLT as something special so if somethings a issue that needs fixed in our room (home resort or not)we call to get it fixed so it will be perfect for the next guest.

Scott
Old 11-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #21
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
I would hope that members would report broken pieces, I know we did. I doubt those stealing something would. Plus if they put a notice in the rooms to please report anything broken, then the broken dish would be there to confer it was broken not stolen.
Unfortunately, Sammie, we see rules regarding DVC broken everyday. If people do not live up to their signed, legal agreements, I have no faith that they would pick-up the phone and call to notify mousekeeping if they dropped a dish or broke a glass.

Remember, when OKW first opened, there were salt and pepper shakers, cloth napkins and napkin rings, as well as placemats. All disappeared within the first few years. Another thing that disappeared was Pirate Cove. It was a pirate themed area with fake skulls and swords at the bend in the canal by building 55. The props quickly disappeared...taken by people as souvenirs until the sign was eventually removed.

Last edited by Chuck S; 11-23-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:25 PM   #22
LoveRafiki
Mouseketeer

I can't spell can I?

Noticed after first post that I posted "Plane" dishes.... like dishes that would go on an airplane??? What an idiot!!

Anyway --- new bowls are also small!!!

Oh Well.... Its a shame that people would steal this stuff. They should inventory it when people leave and charge them...
LoveRafiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #23
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Unfortunately, Sammie, we see rules regarding DVC broken everyday. If people do not live up to their signed, legal agreements, I have no faith that they would pick-up the phone and call to notify mousekeeping if they dropped a dish or broke a glass.

Remember, when OKW first opened, there were salt and pepper shakers, cloth napkins and napkin rings, as well as placemats. All disappeared within the first few years. Another thing that disappeared was Pirate Cove. It was a pirate themed area with fake skulls and swords at the bend in the canal by building 55. The props quickly disappeared...taken by people as souvenirs until the sign was eventually removed.
Yep it is really sad that everyone has to suffer for the crimes of the few. Not only did we notify them we had broken a dish, we went off property and bought Fiestaware and replaced it.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:05 PM   #24
Mickeynutty
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Wow - the thought of the loss of all those nice touches makes me sad. People!
Mickeynutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:47 AM   #25
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

BTW, if anyone is like me, and really liked the Fiestaware bowls...Amazon has them in plum (14 oz) for about $10 and Tangerine (19oz) for about $12...compared to the the other colors that are $15 to $25. Not the best colors, but still...I bought a couple of each. I don't know what size the DVC resorts used.

Last edited by Chuck S; 11-24-2012 at 07:25 AM.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:29 AM   #26
jodifla

DIS Veteran

It seems to me that they start off with snazzy dishes in the new properties to help sell them, then end up switching them out to white as dishes get broken or "misplaced."
jodifla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #27
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodifla View Post
It seems to me that they start off with snazzy dishes in the new properties to help sell them, then end up switching them out to white as dishes get broken or "misplaced."
At WDW, they've switched to generic dinnerware in all the villas. I have no reason to believe that Grand Floridian will have snazzy dishes when it opens. They now use the same generic dishware property-wide; villas, room service and restaurants. Easier to warehouse and replace. But they really need bigger cereal bowls.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:35 AM   #28
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Like these?

It is a shame that everything is made generic so that people will not steal.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #29
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
Like these?

It is a shame that everything is made generic so that people will not steal.
Nice pic of the plane dishes!
Old 11-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #30
michelleiada
DIS Veteran

I always wondered why the coffee mugs in BCV were so unusually small...narrow. Never seen mugs like this before. Now it makes sense...they want you to buy mugs or coffee from them. Ugh!

2012 BECAME DVC MEMBER AT BCV!

michelleiada is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: