DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
LoveRafiki
Mouseketeer

Unhappy Changing to plane dishes !!!

Staying in AKL Kidani Village --- housekeeping just came in and is switching out the themed plates to plane white ones.... now, truth be told, the bowls were too small -- but at least it was all African themed... now it is boring white.

It is a cost cutting measure.... all dishes the same... oh well.
LoveRafiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Sad reality is that some owners have a habit of absconding with anything unique which isn't bolted down in the villas.

If this is a cost-related move, it's not just about the cost of replacing due to breakage--it's about the replacement cost involved in restocking the "souvenirs" which end up in people's luggage, trunks and Owner's Lockers.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

All the resorts are going to this generic white dinnerware. It is OK, I guess, but I really preferred the size/shape of the original Fiesta Ware bowls at OKW. Otherwise, a plate is a plate.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
It is OK, I guess, but I really preferred the size/shape of the original Fiesta Ware bowls at OKW.
The new bowls are terrible! I measured the capacity of the plain white bowls at BWV and they hold exactly one cup of liquid if you fill them to the brim. If you normally use one cup of milk with your cereal, there is no room for the cereal. Who chooses the dinnerware? Presumably it is someone who doesn't eat cereal or soup.

I was sad when I heard the Fiestaware was being replaced but even sadder to hear the dinnerware at AKV is gone too since it was unique.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaS View Post
The new bowls are terrible! I measured the capacity of the plain white bowls at BWV and they hold exactly one cup of liquid if you fill them to the brim. If you normally use one cup of milk with your cereal, there is no room for the cereal. Who chooses the dinnerware? Presumably it is someone who doesn't eat cereal or soup.
Oh no! This is sad. Size matters.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
stmize
Dvc member since Nov 2010--WDW mom of ds 17 & dd 14

At okw now and the all dishware is plain white.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #7
bwvBound
DVC SSR & other timeshare

LOL ... the subject really had me wondering why DVC was switching to airline-themed dishware! (I figured they'd been stealing a little on each flight and now installing their stash in the villas?)
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #8
helenk
BL II - Purple Team>
WISH Biggest Loser/Blue Team
Loves Monk, and Peeps,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwvBound View Post
LOL ... the subject really had me wondering why DVC was switching to airline-themed dishware! (I figured they'd been stealing a little on each flight and now installing their stash in the villas?)
I thought the same thing I thought when I read the thread starter, that the dishes had planes on them. Reading further I realized it was plain dishes.

Offsite 6/83,5/87
ASSP 7/95 & 11/08, GF 9/99, YC 11/01, WL 12/02 & 9/09 POR 9/03, POFQ 6/04, 12/04, & 5/06 POLY 6/04 & 12/05, POP 12/04, ASMU 7/05,10/07 & 12/07, AKL 12/06, CBR 5/07, CSR 5/08, SSR 11/08, CR 1/09, DLH 5/09, AKV 6/09, ASSP 10/09, ASSP&AKV 12/09, BCV 9/10, VWL 12/10, AKV 1/11 AKV/DCL 5/11 VWL&AKV 12/11, AKV 5/12,SSR 10/12, OKW 12/12, AKV 5/13, HHI 6/13,VWL 12/13, VCG 5/14, Hollywood Hotel, Hong Kong 5/14, AKV 8/14
helenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:27 PM   #9
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Pretty much what TJ said, it was due to so many pieces being carried off.

Anything unique or interesting seems to disappear, so they went with generic white. I wish they would simply make those that take them pay for them and not punish the rest of us.

I was at least hopping for something with some color to them.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:54 AM   #10
Longhairbear
DIS Veteran

I recall reading that guests were taking the books that used to be in the villas at OKW for guests to read when it first opened. And so, no more books stocked on the shelves in each villa.
There are bathrobes stocked at VGC, and if you take them they charge you for them. At Paradise Pier they have Beach Ball pillows on the beds, if you take them, you get charged for them.
Longhairbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:25 AM   #11
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

I wish they would charge for damaged/missing items at the WDW resorts...but at the same time I can see people contesting it with their CC companies. Plus the time needed to check for every single item or piece of dinnerware, and then decide if it is theft or normal wear and tear would likely be cost prohibitive...requiring much more housekeeping staff and upping our dues considerably.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #12
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

The new bowls *are* small---very small. We noticed that too last month at BCV.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #13
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Maybe I'm just being a sap in thinking that the vast majority of people would not take the dishes. And any minority that did before will still take the dishes. Unless Disney can confirm that they now replace less I'd call it inconclusive why things disappeared - breakage, guest theft, employee theft.

And there are lots of interesting options that are as inexpensive as the generic plateware. But Disney has been getting a bit lazy in this area IMO. (all in the name of warehouse storage I thought). I also liked the theming and ambiance that was added with these little touches.

I don't think I'll miss the particular bowls they had at AKV though - those were tiny!!! Although it sounds like the new ones are not much better. I do miss the Fiestaware and also will miss the green dinnerware at VWL.

KAT4DISNEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #14
jpeka65844
DIS Veteran

Exactly why DVC will never get KEurigs, which would be SO cool.

Can u imagine how many of those things would walk away?

jpeka65844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #15
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT4DISNEY View Post
Maybe I'm just being a sap in thinking that the vast majority of people would not take the dishes. And any minority that did before will still take the dishes. Unless Disney can confirm that they now replace less I'd call it inconclusive why things disappeared - breakage, guest theft, employee theft.

And there are lots of interesting options that are as inexpensive as the generic plateware. But Disney has been getting a bit lazy in this area IMO. (all in the name of warehouse storage I thought). I also liked the theming and ambiance that was added with these little touches.

I don't think I'll miss the particular bowls they had at AKV though - those were tiny!!! Although it sounds like the new ones are not much better. I do miss the Fiestaware and also will miss the green dinnerware at VWL.
I am sure storage was part of the equation too, as the dishes are the same as in room dining uses.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: