Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
twinklestar22
Earning My Ears

Big River or ESPN?

We will be staying at BWV for 5 nights in Feb. Our last day is a Sunday and our flight is at 9:20 pm. Since we have to catch the ME at 6 ish, we want to make sure we eat some dinner before we leave. I figured we'd go to a park early and be back at BW by 4 then eat at either Big River or ESPN. Which do you suggest and would they both be open at 4PM? It's just my husband, myself and our 8 yo daughter. Thanks.
twinklestar22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:01 PM   #2
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Presuming this is not Super Bowl Sunday, I would choose ESPN - I just like their food a little better. They will definitely by open.
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
sheila <3 WDW
DIS Veteran

We ate at Big River on our last trip and we thought it was really good. It was DH, myself, and our 3 year old (at the time) daughter.

The third time’s the charm! A March 2013 10th anniversary pre-trip report! The 3rd time's the charm! Our 10th anniversary March 2013 TR!
The 3rd time's the charm! Our 10th anniversary 03-2013 Dining Report!
sheila <3 WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

We gave up on BRG after several tries. The service and food was erratic, usually poor. Why bother when there are so many other choices near by?
Old 11-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #5
kkbutterfly
Mouseketeer

I ate at both on my last trip in Sept/October and liked Big River better. While the atmosphere was nicer at ESPN (big open room at ESPN vs tables on top of each other at Big River), I thought Big River had the better food and the boys (adults....) loved the the beer sampler.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:46 AM   #6
River Country
DIS Jedi

ESPN

Hands down and i am DIS DAD and that place is one reason i love the BW
River Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #7
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

I like ESPN & Big River, we have ate at ESPN at least 4 different times and Big River one time. I think either is fine. I do agree that ESPN has a bit of an edge over Big River.

We plan to eat at one of them on Father's Day 2013

Both will be open, they open at 11am, normally.

POR June 2006 POP May/June 2008 CBR Pirate Room & BC May/June 2009 Vero Beach & CSR & AKV Kidani May/June 2010 BLT Oct 2010 BWV March/April 2011 AKV Kidani Dec 2011 BCV/BLT June 2013
WL CL & AKV - Jambo Studio CL March/April2014 AKV Kidani June 2016

June 2013 Dining Report PTR Spring Break 2014
AlohaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
twinklestar22
Earning My Ears

No, it's actually the Sunday after the superbowl. Is that the day of the Pro-bowl? I hope ESPN won't be crazy-crowded. BTW, my H is not a huge sports fan so he could care less.
twinklestar22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #9
PCFriar80
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinklestar22 View Post
No, it's actually the Sunday after the superbowl. Is that the day of the Pro-bowl? I hope ESPN won't be crazy-crowded. BTW, my H is not a huge sports fan so he could care less.
Another vote for ESPN here. The Pro-Bowl is the Sunday before the Superbowl this season, 1/27/13 so you should have no problems getting in on the 10th.
PCFriar80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #10
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

If the weather is beautiful, I would ask to be seated outside of BRG to enjoy the food and the Boardwalk through to the last minute!

ESPN is just another sports bar, loud, they have good chicken wings, lousy salads, .....

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #11
madalex
DIS Veteran

Big River. I go there at least once every trip for lunch and always have good experiences. As for ESPN, I gave up on it several years ago. I tried it several times, and each meal was worse than the one before. I just stay away now.
madalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #12
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinklestar22 View Post
We will be staying at BWV for 5 nights in Feb. Our last day is a Sunday and our flight is at 9:20 pm. Since we have to catch the ME at 6 ish, we want to make sure we eat some dinner before we leave. I figured we'd go to a park early and be back at BW by 4 then eat at either Big River or ESPN. Which do you suggest and would they both be open at 4PM? It's just my husband, myself and our 8 yo daughter. Thanks.
You will have plenty of time to decide since this would be your last night. I would observe the atmosphere at each place when you are out, look at the menus, and then decide.

Both will be open for lunch and then continue into dinner so no problems there. I've eaten at both and you won't go wrong either way. Just depends on what kind of place you want.

I would look at that "Sunday night in February" thing because if it's February 3rd, I'd run and hide because that is the Super Bowl and both places could be crazy crowded.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #13
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Never done BRG but ESPN was great. Open, seat yourself seating in the bar area with kids welcome. Good food, quick service, fairly reasonable prices. Do you need an ADR at BRG? Might be something to keep in mind. You do not at ESPN.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #14
TigerKat
HOPE YOUR DAY IS FILLED WITH JOY AND HAPPINESS !!
Blow some of that cool air down here
Warning! Getting a tag is hazardous to my mouse

We own DVC at BWV and have been to both numerous times. In our opinion it's not even close...ESPN wins hands down!
Old 12-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #15
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
Never done BRG but ESPN was great. Open, seat yourself seating in the bar area with kids welcome. Good food, quick service, fairly reasonable prices. Do you need an ADR at BRG? Might be something to keep in mind. You do not at ESPN.
No, reservations not available for Big River Grille through Disney, only if you call the restaurant directly.

Also something to think about - I know it's February and it will be dinner but you can eat outside at Big River Grille if that's something you might want to experience.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: