Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #76
kt_mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment814 View Post
Books I've enjoyed recently, that I highly recommend...Age of Miracles. It was our book club book, and brought up great discussion. I don't think I've seen this one on this thread yet.

I also enjoyed Paris Wife!

Currently reading: Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter. It's...interesting.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
I read Age of Miracles over the summer and really enjoyed it too.

I read The Book Theif this year and really enjoyed it as well. I recently finished the new Patricia Cornwell book and liked it better than some of the last few she's written.

I read A Discovery of Witches and the sequal Shadow of Night this year and LOVED both of them. I can't wait for the third one to come out.

My aunt recommended and loaned me a few of the Penny Vincenzi books and so far I've enjoyed the two I've read but I thought the endings to both were kind of flat. They look to all be pretty long books, 800-1000 pages or so.

Right now I'm quickly reading the latest Janet Evanovich book and its just as silly as the last 6 or 7. I loved the beginning of the series. They were funny and quirky and easy reads. But now they have gotten to be downright dumb. I have this thing with reading a series and so I keep reading them even though I know they are going to be terrible.

Next up I'll read the latest Iris Johannesn book even though it will be just like the last ones. Her books are so predictable. But again its a series and I just can't not read the next one.

After that I'll go back to finishing the Penny Vincenzi books but I didn't want to carry a big hardback book on vacation in a couple weeks. Then I have a bunch of books on my wish list in Amazon. A lot that I've gotten from the reading threads on here. And I want to start the JD Robb series (also recommended by my aunt) but there are a ton of books and I keep putting it off. I've put the Killing Lincoln and Kennedy books on my wish list too now.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:52 PM   #77
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt_mom View Post
<snip>
I recently finished the new Patricia Cornwell book and liked it better than some of the last few she's written.

I quit reading her books because they started seeming to be all the same. What is the name of her new one?
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #78
kt_mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf View Post
I quit reading her books because they started seeming to be all the same. What is the name of her new one?
The Bone Bed. I thought it was pretty good. I've been reading her books for years and I loved them when they took place in Richmond but then they started moving her all around and I just kind of thought they got weird. But they seem to be settled again and I enjoyed this one.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #79
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier's*Sweeties View Post
You guys are so mature in your book choices!
Not me! I figure I think enough during the day, so when I read I want fairly easy stuff. I've already read about 3 Stephanie Bond books, and I've got "Kill the Competition" in line on my kindle to read.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #80
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom

Not me! I figure I think enough during the day, so when I read I want fairly easy stuff. I've already read about 3 Stephanie Bond books, and I've got "Kill the Competition" in line on my kindle to read.
I look books that read like a movie. I really liked the Stephanie Bond books I've read so far!
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:40 AM   #81
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

I am currently reading Stephen King's 11/22/63. It is the only Stephen King book (with the exception of Cujo) where I have been able to read past the first few pages. I am absoutely loving it
wilma-bride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:28 AM   #82
wvjules
DIS Veteran

I just finished Life of Pi yesterday. Hmmmmm.......

Now on to Sharp Objects this week (it's a library book due on 12/6) then I'm going to read Les Mis before the movie comes out.

I read 36 of 25 in the 2013 DIS Book Challenge
Killing Jesus * Things We Set on Fire * 12 Years a Slave * A Home for Christmas * Heart Shaped Box * Abducted * Beautiful Ruins * When I Found You * John * Entwined in You * Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children * Losing Hope * Zoo * A Moveable Feast * The Paris Wife * The Light Between Oceans * Inferno * We Need to Talk About Kevin * Under the Dome * Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) * Shopaholic Ties the Knot (Shopaholic, #3) * Shopaholic Takes Manhattan (Shopaholic, #2) * Confessions of a Shopaholic (Shopaholic, #1) * Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) * One Second After * Into the Darkest Corner * Before I Go To Sleep * Reflected in You (Crossfire, #2) * The Perks of Being a Wallflower * Bared to You (Crossfire, #1) * Defending Jacob * Hopeless (Hopeless, #1) * Rush Home Road * On the Island * The Fault in Our Stars * The Glass Castle

wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:31 AM   #83
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post
I just finished Life of Pi yesterday. Hmmmmm.......

Now on to Sharp Objects this week (it's a library book due on 12/6) then I'm going to read Les Mis before the movie comes out.
OK, I HAVE to ask what the "hmmmmm" was all about.

I enjoyed Sharp Objects - it was a quick read at only 250 pages or so. Did you read Gone Girl? I just finished Dark Places last week as well - probably my least favorite of the three.

You'd better get cracking if you think you're going to read Les Mis before 12/26, lol! I just finished it last month.... think it was around 1500 pages? And it's a difficult read, but well worth it! I cannot wait to see the movie now!

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years

Currently reading: #13 A Mother's Hope by Francine Rivers

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #84
threeboysmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizluvah View Post
Hi All. I'm new to this thread but wanted to share my favorite reads recently were: What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty and The Secret Life of Cee Cee Wilkes by Diane Chamberlain

I joined a book club this year and have been loving reading different kinds of books that I wouldn't normally select for myself.

Someone mentioned a 2013 book challenge...I would love to participate in something like that!
Would enjoy a 2013 book challenge as well! We can all set goals for ourselves and then keep a running list of the books we've read for the whole year...

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years

Old 11-27-2012, 08:35 AM   #85
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
Would enjoy a 2013 book challenge as well! We can all set goals for ourselves and then keep a running list of the books we've read for the whole year...
Sounds like a good idea. I'm in!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #86
wvjules
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
OK, I HAVE to ask what the "hmmmmm" was all about.

I enjoyed Sharp Objects - it was a quick read at only 250 pages or so. Did you read Gone Girl? I just finished Dark Places last week as well - probably my least favorite of the three.

You'd better get cracking if you think you're going to read Les Mis before 12/26, lol! I just finished it last month.... think it was around 1500 pages? And it's a difficult read, but well worth it! I cannot wait to see the movie now!
I read Dark Places and Gone Girl. I enjoyed them both. The ending of Gone Girl has grown on me.

Pi - Spoiler in white Hmmm...because which is the real story, the animals or the people?

I won't see Les Mis before I finish reading it. I'm a fairly fast reader. I only started Life of Pi on Friday and finished it last night. I will probably will finish Shart Objects by this weekend and will start on Les Mis. If I seems too daunting once I get started I'll quit and just see the movie. lol

I read 36 of 25 in the 2013 DIS Book Challenge
Killing Jesus * Things We Set on Fire * 12 Years a Slave * A Home for Christmas * Heart Shaped Box * Abducted * Beautiful Ruins * When I Found You * John * Entwined in You * Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children * Losing Hope * Zoo * A Moveable Feast * The Paris Wife * The Light Between Oceans * Inferno * We Need to Talk About Kevin * Under the Dome * Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) * Shopaholic Ties the Knot (Shopaholic, #3) * Shopaholic Takes Manhattan (Shopaholic, #2) * Confessions of a Shopaholic (Shopaholic, #1) * Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) * One Second After * Into the Darkest Corner * Before I Go To Sleep * Reflected in You (Crossfire, #2) * The Perks of Being a Wallflower * Bared to You (Crossfire, #1) * Defending Jacob * Hopeless (Hopeless, #1) * Rush Home Road * On the Island * The Fault in Our Stars * The Glass Castle

wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #87
newt2
Mouseketeer

Things I've read recently:

The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss
Leviathan Wakes and Calibans War James Corey
World War Z by Max Brooks

All of the above were excellent, particularly the Corey Books. They're a blend of Sci-Fi, Horror and action with a good plot.

I'm currently reading Way of the Shadow by Brent Weeks. It's OK, nothing particularly great though.

Looking forward to next month when the final Wheel of Time book gets released. 20+ years later, we finally get to see how it ends.
newt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:36 PM   #88
npealer
Mouseketeer

I've read sooo many books over the last few years I forget sometimes some of my favorites. As I was reading thru the post again I remembered a book that I loved and Highly recommend.

The Woods by Harlan Coben

Also I love Ken Follett as an Author. I read the whole Pillar series and loved it.

DL/CA- Too many to remember
WDW-Jan 1997 Offsite, April 2003 offsite, November 2005 offsite, Jan 2013 AS Music

npealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #89
threeboysmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post
Pi - Spoiler in white Hmmm
Ooooh, got your "hmmmm" now!

When I read the book a few months back, the comment "and so it is with God" which immediately followed your spoiler is what has driven me bonkers. I have pondered that statement ad nauseum.

Went and saw the movie this past weekend and there it was again - same line. Has brought back all my former ponderings, lol.

I need to join a book discussion group just so I can discuss that one mind boggling comment!

Old 11-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #90
threeboysmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by npealer View Post
I've read sooo many books over the last few years I forget sometimes some of my favorites. As I was reading thru the post again I remembered a book that I loved and Highly recommend.

The Woods by Harlan Coben

Also I love Ken Follett as an Author. I read the whole Pillar series and loved it.
Looked up The Woods on Goodreads - looks interesting. Have added it! Thanks!

I either need to read faster or stop adding books. It's growing by leaps & bounds.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: