Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #31
npealer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post

I am SO glad you said that! I am struggling with this one. I thought maybe it was because it's been over a year since #4. It's just not grabbing me the way the others did. I find myself skimming a lot because I want to get through it (I have SO many other great books waiting on the sidelines, lol), but I just don't want to quit either since the rest of this series has been so fantastic.
Just don't let book 5 keep you from continuing the series, Book 7 was one of my favorites and I cannot wait for book 8 next year. The pain and suffering of reading book 5 is worth it

DL/CA- Too many to remember
WDW-Jan 1997 Offsite, April 2003 offsite, November 2005 offsite, Jan 2013 AS Music

npealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #32
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post
11/22/63 FLIES by! It doesn't seem like it is as long as it is.

Same here. I actually watched the movies first and was meh...then a few months ago I started reading the books. They are so much better than the movies. The movies are quite disappointing now.

I'm on the last 120 pages of It by Stephen King then I'm going to read Life of Pi and the final two HP books. I might mix in some holiday fluff before Christmas too. Or I might just wait until after the holidays to finish HP.

Too many books, too little time!
Yes that is how I feel the movies lasted forever but I just read a part of the book that explains why that is
Register to remove

Old 11-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #33
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
The title of that book is cracking me up!!! I may have to look into that one just because of that
FYI, it's a nonfiction book about people with strange brain disorders (Korsakoff's syndrome, proprioception, aphasia, etc.) . It's by neurologist Oliver Sacks.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #34
Pixiedust34
It's like I'm stuck in a music time warp
Hasn't touched an iron in over 10 yrs!
I love Target! Where else can you buy candy corn 90% off?!
My tags are getting dusty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
It's Thanksgiving tomorrow, which means Friday I will start my tradition of reading "A Christmas Carol" again. I've read it every year for 5 or 6 years now.

I've also considered 11/22/63, but again, there's that thing about it being long...
I haven't read The Christmas Carol yet, but will read it for the first time in a few weeks because we are doing it for school.

I enjoyed 11/22/63. It's a thick book, but overall the story goes pretty fast when you read it. It makes you think about how different the world was without the internet and how quickly we turn to a keyboard to get information on anything within seconds.

Quote:

I'm on the last 120 pages of It by Stephen King then I'm going to read Life of Pi and the final two HP books. I might mix in some holiday fluff before Christmas too. Or I might just wait until after the holidays to finish HP.

How do you like It? I haven't read that one yet. I'm funny about Stephen King books. Some I love, and others I can't get past page 30. It has been on my to-read list for a while! I'll have to see if it's available on Kindle and at a reasonable cost. The Stand was my favorite. Of his recent books, I liked Under the Dome (though he did write that a while ago) and 11/22/63. The Cell was OK, but I didn't care for the ending.

I still have to read the third Hunger Games book, and want to get that done before the second movie is released.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #35
wvjules
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixiedust34 View Post
I haven't read The Christmas Carol yet, but will read it for the first time in a few weeks because we are doing it for school.

I enjoyed 11/22/63. It's a thick book, but overall the story goes pretty fast when you read it. It makes you think about how different the world was without the internet and how quickly we turn to a keyboard to get information on anything within seconds.

How do you like It? I haven't read that one yet. I'm funny about Stephen King books. Some I love, and others I can't get past page 30. It has been on my to-read list for a while! I'll have to see if it's available on Kindle and at a reasonable cost. The Stand was my favorite. Of his recent books, I liked Under the Dome (though he did write that a while ago) and 11/22/63. The Cell was OK, but I didn't care for the ending.

I still have to read the third Hunger Games book, and want to get that done before the second movie is released.
Once I got past the 600 pages of backstory, I'm really enjoying it. This book probably could have been 900 pages long. It was confusing with all of the backstories and characters and characters we never see again but I am enjoying it enough. The last 1/3 of the book has been great. The rest dragged in parts. I have a feeling I'll get to the end and be "wow, what a great book."

11/22/63 and Gerald's Game are the only other 2 SK books I've read.
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #36
Pixiedust34
It's like I'm stuck in a music time warp
Hasn't touched an iron in over 10 yrs!
I love Target! Where else can you buy candy corn 90% off?!
My tags are getting dusty!

Quote:
Once I got past the 600 pages of backstory, I'm really enjoying it. This book probably could have been 900 pages long. It was confusing with all of the backstories and characters and characters we never see again but I am enjoying it enough. The last 1/3 of the book has been great. The rest dragged in parts. I have a feeling I'll get to the end and be "wow, what a great book."

11/22/63 and Gerald's Game are the only other 2 SK books I've read.
Thanks! I'll have to give it a try someday.

Every time I see the pool at the Boardwalk Inn, I think of It.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #37
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

I love all of Stephen Kings older works (Thinner, Needful Things, Salems Lot) but it seemed after his accident his writing went downhill. I actually stopped reading his stuff I though it was so bad (Especially Rose Madder). But lately his last few books have been pretty good, so I'm back to reading him again. I think next up will be Under the Dome.
His son wrote a book called Heart Shaped Box that I liked a lot.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #38
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules

Same here. I actually watched the movies first and was meh...then a few months ago I started reading the books. They are so much better than the movies. The movies are quite disappointing now.

I think HP is a good series to read in the winter because it is often winter/fall in the books!
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #39
Soldier's*Sweeties
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapppyd
"Let's Pretend this Never Happened" by Jenny Lawson.

Read this book if you want to laugh out loud!
Sounds right up my alley! Thanks!
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro
Old 11-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #40
Soldier's*Sweeties
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf
I love all of Stephen Kings older works (Thinner, Needful Things, Salems Lot) but it seemed after his accident his writing went downhill. I actually stopped reading his stuff I though it was so bad (Especially Rose Madder). But lately his last few books have been pretty good, so I'm back to reading him again. I think next up will be Under the Dome.
His son wrote a book called Heart Shaped Box that I liked a lot.
I loved Heart Shaped Box. It was really freaking creepy to me.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #41
erincon23
Everyone must have gotten a life in the last few days
As you can see, I have gotten sidetracked

In addition to fluffy Nora Roberts and not-so-fluffy Diana Gabaldon (we actually had a funny Outlander discussion in my office this morning), I like post-apocalyptic stuff. One of my recent faves was The Passage by Justin Cronin -- a virus turns much of the world into zombie-type creatures, and small outposts of "humans" have to defend themselves. A prequel recently came out, The Twelve, and I haven't gotten that from the hold list at the library yet.

Another fascinating p-a series is by Ann Benson -- Thief of Souls, The Plague Tales and A Physician's Tale. They go back and forth between the near-future and the Black Plague period.

me DH DS16 DS20 On our last family trip, 3/09
erincon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:16 PM   #42
Teresa Pitman
DIS Veteran

I haven't been a fan of Stephen King in the past, but I absolutely loved 11/22/63. I thought he did an incredible job of recreating the world of 1963 - we forget how much has changed in such a short time!

I am currently reading The Stockholm Octavo which seems good so far but I am only a chapter in.

I really enjoyed Nora Roberts' Boonsboro trilogy. I didn't realize when I read it that this is a real town, and Nora Roberts actually owns the inn, bookstore and restaurant in the town (with the same names as in the books). I'd love to visit someday! I know they are very "fluffy" books but sometimes that's just what I am looking for.

When I was in the bookstore, I found they had some classic Nero Wolfe books by Rex Stout so I bought a couple of those and will be reading them soon. I also bought some Kerry Greenwood novels. I loved her Phryne Fisher series, and now she has a new series about a woman (Carina Chapman) who has a bakery and solves mysteries that I really like.

TP
Teresa Pitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #43
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Joining in. I have read a lot of the books mentioned. I love Stephen King. My favorites are The Stand & The Dark Tower series.
Loved the Outlander books.
Love anything by Karin Slaughter or Lisa Jackson.
Waiting for the 4th book in The Walk series by Richard Paul Evans. Currently reading Michael Vey-The Rise of the Elgin also by Richard Paul Evans. It is a YA book and sequel to Michael Vey-Prisoner in Cell 25.
Have never been into Harry Potter, books or movies, altho my dd has all of them both so if I ever get desparate.....,lol.
Rush Home Road by Laura Lansens was very very good.
So many books......On another forum I am in a 2012 book challenge. My goal for 2012 was 48 books. Just finished #58.
Maybe in January we can start a 2013 challenge on the dis???

Book Challenge Goal 62/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #44
RunningGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erincon23 View Post
In addition to fluffy Nora Roberts and not-so-fluffy Diana Gabaldon (we actually had a funny Outlander discussion in my office this morning), I like post-apocalyptic stuff. One of my recent faves was The Passage by Justin Cronin -- a virus turns much of the world into zombie-type creatures, and small outposts of "humans" have to defend themselves. A prequel recently came out, The Twelve, and I haven't gotten that from the hold list at the library yet.

Another fascinating p-a series is by Ann Benson -- Thief of Souls, The Plague Tales and A Physician's Tale. They go back and forth between the near-future and the Black Plague period.
The Twelve is part prequel, part sequel - mostly sequel. I didn't like it as much, but it was not too bad.

If you love really long books, give A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth. It takes place in India, and even at 1470+ pages it kept my interest.

If you liked the Hunger Games series, try Divergent by Veronica Roth.

I also enjoyed Ken Follet's 2 books in his new series, Fall of Giants and Winter of the World.

I'm looking for a good long book for the holiday season!
RunningGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #45
WDWBarb
It was, in fact, *I* who was sounding like a loose fan belt
I need to put some distance between my coffee, my mouth and my monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixiedust34 View Post
IT and The Stand are my two favorite King books because they have one thing in common (and what makes them both great) - extraordinary character development. By the time you are done reading both of those books, you'll feel like they were people you really knew. Richie and Bevvie and the whole gang - I still remember them and I read the book more than 25 years ago.

And if you've read IT, you'll see some familiar characters in 11/22/63.

I've just finished Beautiful Ruins (it was OK) and I'm reading Life of Pi. Before Beautiful Ruins it was Gone Girl and that one raised the bar a bit, I'm afraid.

Not sure what's next yet... looking for suggestions here!!
WDWBarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: