Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #196
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerJay View Post
Since you read the sequel to The Passage, I'm assuming you read the first one, too. Was it any good? It seems to be interesting and something I may like but it gets pretty inconsistent reviews. What did you think of it?
I'm curious too since I have this book on reserve at the library...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny Favers View Post
Maggie Stiefvater.

Has anyone read HOPELESS by Colleen Hoover? I just mentioned it on the other thread because I loved it and can't get it out of my head.
Was it you that recommended this book on the Book Goal thread? I went and checked it out - has great reviews. I moved it to the top of my list - hoping to get to it in the next month or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post
I went to see Les Mis last night so I'm not going to finish the book (right now). I will definately finish it later because of the 1/2 of the book I read a lot of it was left out of the movie. I want to see what I missed in the movie from the second half of the book.

Right now I'm reading The Glass Castle and then will read The Fault in Our Stars and then On the Island.
Nice job on making it halfway!! Les Mis is definitely not for the faint of heart, but WELL WORTH IT! I am amazed at how much of the storyline was left out of the movie (and Broadway show). For example, how can you know how desperate Fantine is when the movie opens up with her already working at the factory and already given up her child? The book reveals a young Fantine, carefree, hanging out with her friends, falling in love, etc. That's entirely missing from the storyline. If you're not familiar with her previous life, it's hard to really see just how far she's fallen.

Oh, and I'm definitely interested in your review of The Glass Castle. How is it so far? I've read the other two you mentioned. Fault was amazing - the type of story that dwells with you long after you've closed the book. On the Island was a good read, but I don't know, it just didn't sit right with me.

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats,#28 Little Bee,#29 The Art Forger

Currently reading: #30 One Plus One and #31 Double Whammy

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #197
Amy
MamaGrumpy

Our work book club pick for this month is The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I was iffy about it at first, but once I got into it, I'm enjoying it. I only have about 70 pages left. Took a while to get used to the chapters flipping back and forth between the 1800's and 1902, but it keeps your interest. Can't wait to see how it ends!

June 1999 - Port Orleans (now POFQ) June 2001 - POFQ/HRH June 2003 - WL/HRH July 2004 - DL/Calif Adv June 2005 - WL/HRH Dec. 2005 - WL (DS band trip!) June 2007 - WL/HRH Nov./Dec. 2007 - Pop (band trip with both DS's!) Oct 2011 - Pop
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: