Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #91
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess on the Run View Post
I would be irritated if I was with my entire family including small children and had to move because no one else would. I think asking someone to leave their small children so someone else can be with theirs is silly when there are plenty of people who are not with small children who should have volunteered. And yes, those solo travelers who didn't move (which forced her DH to move away from his family) are jerks in my books. Her DH did the noble thing but shouldn't have had to because someone else should have done it so that the plane could get going.

I understand you all feel the need to explain why your situation is different and you couldn't possibly move because you simply HAVE to have a certain seat or the entire world will fall apart. I truly don't care. I don't need or want your explanation and have never asked anyone for one. I have never asked someone to move seats for me and hopefully never will. It doesn't change the fact that I will continue to think that people who aren't flexible or reasonable when they can be are jerks. You don't have to agree with me and I don't care if you do. I am sure there are people silently judging me every day as I walk through the world. It is what is it and it really doesn't matter. The reality is that there are enough people who will do the right thing so the system works.
Interesting.
Not Southwest, but I'm an adult flying solo in a couple of weeks. Knowing my needs as I do, and the airline's conditions as I do, I've paid a $50 premium each way for my specific seat.

Any other passenger's need to be seated with their child/ren or other party members doesn't override my needs and proactivity. After once changing what seemed to be identical seats with another passenger (my D for her C in the same row) so she could sit with her husband and son only to then be kept awake all night by a seatmate exercising and walking around, I will not give up the seat I chose - whether in advance or on boarding. My number one priority is ME. That doesn't make me a jerk. It makes me normal.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #92
dudspizza
I married in to a Disney crazy family... now I have become the craziest of them all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousegirl View Post
Southwest is WN because when it began there was still a Northwest Airlines with the code NW. With so many airlines, the easy codes like AA for American were gone so the powers that be decided to reverse Northwest's NW for Southwest. Why they couldn't use SW is beyond me--maybe there once was an airline using it? Swiss Airlines is LX not SW by the way.
Did a quick Google search...it appears SW is the code for Air Namibia. Figure that one out..... lol
Register to remove

Old 11-28-2012, 12:22 PM   #93
ZoeBell
Mouseketeer

Then I don't think the issue would apply to you or anyone else with a specific reason for picking their seat. The key word IMO is CAN. If a person can move(that excludes those with issues) and just a reg old Joe who happened to pick the seat just because and won't move to let a child(or any issue needing people to sit together) is not nice in my book.

I like the isle seat. Mostly because I don't like to crawl over people to use the bathroom. But I would move (and have) if asked. Just as I would have hoped someone would have moved for me years ago when I needed it.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #94
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeBell View Post
Then I don't think the issue would apply to you or anyone else with a specific reason for picking their seat. The key word IMO is CAN. If a person can move(that excludes those with issues) and just a reg old Joe who happened to pick the seat just because and won't move to let a child(or any issue needing people to sit together) is not nice in my book.

I like the isle seat. Mostly because I don't like to crawl over people to use the bathroom. But I would move (and have) if asked. Just as I would have hoped someone would have moved for me years ago when I needed it.
Okay then... but why should Joe move for someone who hasn't done the leg work that he did? If Joe paid for his seat or paid for ECBI so he could get that seat, why is someone else more "worthy" of that seat then him? THAT is where I have the main issue when it comes to this sort of thing. It is up to the person who needs accommodation (either a window seat, aisle seat, to be seated next to someone specific, etc) to do what is in their power to make sure it happens. It is not Joe's job to do that.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

Old 11-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #95
ZoeBell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyWDW

Okay then... but why should Joe move for someone who hasn't done the leg work that he did? If Joe paid for his seat or paid for ECBI so he could get that seat, why is someone else more "worthy" of that seat then him? THAT is where I have the main issue when it comes to this sort of thing. It is up to the person who needs accommodation (either a window seat, aisle seat, to be seated next to someone specific, etc) to do what is in their power to make sure it happens. It is not Joe's job to do that.
No it's not Joe's job. Its just a nice courteous thing to do.

Also it not for sure that a person who paid for ECBI is the one giving up the seat. It could just as easily be a C boarder or someone who didn't pay the money. Or the people needing the seats could have been delayed by a connecting flight and they also paid ECBI. The bottom line for me is we don't know the other person's story.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:11 PM   #96
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeBell
Quote:

Originally Posted by LilyWDW

No it's not Joe's job. Its just a nice courteous thing to do.

Also it not for sure that a person who paid for ECBI is the one giving up the seat. It could just as easily be a C boarder or someone who didn't pay the money. Or the people needing the seats could have been delayed by a connecting flight and they also paid ECBI. The bottom line for me is we don't know the other person's story.
EXACTLY!!! That is the point many of us are trying to make to you and a few others (along with one accepting personal responsibility for one's self). So don't Assume someone is a jerk because they choose NOT to give their seat up when 'you' don't know 'their' story!! Hmmm...interesting concept??!!

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android
Old 11-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #97
dudspizza
I married in to a Disney crazy family... now I have become the craziest of them all!

Not Southwest, but another airline (Northwest back in the day, I think). My dad and I were supposed to be flying LAX-SLC-MSP years ago. When we got to LAX we found that I had been moved to the next flight..... not sure what happened, but we were not even on the same flight! The airline put me on the plane in an aisle seat. It had a little extra leg room, so at least I got that, even though my dad had flown to SLC 2 hours before me and was waiting for me. So, along comes a guy and asks me if I will switch to his seat so he could sit with his friend. I was prepared to be nice when he tells me it is a middle seat in the row right in front of the exit rows, which don't recline. I politely declined to move. So, because I chose not to move, was I a jerk? I don't think so, heck, I wasn't even on the same plane as my dad! I was flying solo, but he had no idea what the airline had already put me through......
Old 11-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #98
dudspizza

another story.... flying AA home from Albuquerque. I chose my seats 7 months in advance on the 2 seat side of a MD-80. I board with my group to find a dad who preboarded with his little one and he had plopped her down in my seat. He doesn't ask me if I would mind switching, he already had her in my seat with toys out basically forcing me to move. If he would have asked, I would have gladly moved, it was to a aisle seat, so fine...... but he assumed he could just take my seat. I took the aisle seat just fine, but was a bit mad that he just did what he wanted to benefit him, without taking anyone else into account.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:33 PM   #99
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchlovestink View Post
EXACTLY!!! That is the point many of us are trying to make to you and a few others (along with one accepting personal responsibility for one's self). So don't Assume someone is a jerk because they choose NOT to give their seat up when 'you' don't know 'their' story!! Hmmm...interesting concept??!!

Yup. I've flown solo a bit, and I've been asked to change twice. I've refused both times. Once because my 2 hour layover was cut down to 20 minutes because of a flight delay. The trade would have pushed me to the back of the plane, from my up front seat.

The second time because the lady who asked me to switch once again expected me to give up my near the front aisle seat for a back of the plane middle seat. I book aisle because I get clausterphobic and don't want to spend the whole flight obsessing about having to crawl over people if I need to use the restroom. It wouldn't be pretty. I was sitting next to 2 girls, around 10 years in age or so. Their mom ended up in front of us. Her total interaction with them the whole flight was to put her arm up over the top of the seat and drop snacks down into their laps. Didn't turn around or anything. Just reached and dropped. Yeah, she really NEEDED to be close to them. They were pro flyers, btw.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #100
ZoeBell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchlovestink

But isn't the opposed true? Don't assume about the "woman with $10 WDW bags" or the family asking to sit together. Don't assume they haven't done the leg work. That assumption is going on all over this thread.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #101
tjmw2727
Enjoys "mom and me" trips
May just have to dance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeBell View Post
But isn't the opposed true? Don't assume about the "woman with $10 WDW bags" or the family asking to sit together. Don't assume they haven't done the leg work. That assumption is going on all over this thread.
Not in my case - as I mentioned upthread ~

The family was already in the gate area when we arrived! Mom, dad and two boys, clearly young enough for family boarding, I would guess about 4 and 5ish.

Gate agent made several announcements that there are already 40+ continuing passengers on board so he is extending family boarding to 9 and under. He asks that parents please take advantage of this as it will be dfficlut to get seats together if you don't board at that time and they don't want to do the last minute seat shuffle!! .

Yet this family is the last to board and yes passengers did have to move to accomodate them.

Those of us who travel often realize that stuff happens, that's why I like to research, find out my options and try and deal with facts instead of what I would like to happen. Sometimes it does cost a bit more to meet my needs but that's my responsibility.

I don't assume that a person boarding late is a "slacker" and if I can move I will. I ask the same - if I can't move for you please give the the same consideration.

TJ

Last edited by tjmw2727; 11-28-2012 at 06:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #102
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
And this is just one example of varying policies. It's hard to tell people what the policy is when airlines constantly amend the stated policy!! I have to ask...did you check in at the same time as your dh and older ds??? If so, why didn't you also have A boarding group? Or did you somehow just get split up?
Most here would have suggested that your dh and older ds go back to the B group with you vs you and younger ds moving ahead to the A group.

I just wish that airlines would set policy and then stick to it!!! It would make flying so much easier!!!!
For some reason we have had this happen to us a lot, two of us get A59 and A60 and two of us get B1 and B2. For every flight I have asked where we should line up and they always tell me to go with the end of the As....always!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sommergirl25 View Post
I will be flying non revs in few months. Do you really think it is ok for young children to sit wherever is available just because they didn't pay for the seat? My 2 year old will not be sitting by himself and I wouldn't let my 6 year old sit alone either. I don't understand how moving to another seat hurts anyone. My husband and I are prepared to have to split up but the kids will be seated next to one of us. It will be their first time flying, it will be for their protection, an the sanity of everyone else around.
You really can not ecpect the whole plane to move just for you and your kids, you have to plan. You may luck out and find people that will move but as been stated all over this thread, many people need the seats they have chosen and their reasons are just as valid as you needing to sit with your child.

Quote:
I almost responded to you earlier but didn't because I feel like I am one of the few people who agrees with you about moving seats and wanted to avoid the drama that would ensue. But I feel badly that you feel badly now. Having nothing to do with whether or not you paid for your ticket or not, I think most people in the real world would happily move to allow a parent and small child to sit together. Most people don't care that much about one dumb seat to force a 2 year old to sit with a stranger on principal. Most people aren't so self-centered and thoughtless to look at a mother who is trying to seat her family and say "Too bad! I was here first!" And anyone who cares that much about getting their precious seat shouldn't fly SWA. There are people with actual special concerns and most of them are seated first (wheel chairs, etc). Everyone else may have a preference or an ideal situation but in life we compromise for others all the time. There are some small things we can do that mean very little to us but a lot to someone else and most people appreciate the value in that.

When I fly alone, I never have a problem moving to accommodate a family. I don't care what seat or row I'm in because the whole plane gets there at the same time. When I fly with my family, we go as far back as needed to get the whole row and then try to find a kind-looking person to offer the window seat to rather than have some creepy person next to my child. I never ever buy EBCI and have never had a problem finding seats for my family.

I hope you have a great trip and I feel confident that there are more compassionate people in the real world who would be happy to help you if you need to move a seats to be with your children.
Quote:
The beauty of SWA is that no one paid for any particular seat. So it isn't your seat any more than it's someone else's. Paying for EBCI doesn't guarantee you a specific seat or seats together or anything other than *a* seat on the plane just the same as everyone else.

I don't need or want an explanation from anyone and I've never asked for one. I am free to think those people are jerks and move on with my life. It isn't a big enough deal to me to stop and find out WHY you refused a simple request. It isn't like someone would ask a person who is also flying with family to move, or someone who clearly needs a bulkhead seat. I don't care what anyone's reason is, honestly. I have never asked anyone to move for me because I've never needed to. But I have been asked to move before and I have seen others asked. I rarely see anyone cause a stink about it. I think there are more good people in this world than bad so I just don't care if a few people feel they are entitled. The rest don't so the system works. Keep your seat if it makes you feel better.
Are you kidding me? People are jerks bc they might have a legitmate reason to stay put You dont know someone's story. We usually sit 3 and 1 bc both of my boys have horrible ear pain, and one suffers from anxiety. I cant tell you how many times my DH has been asked to move and has to accomodate families, and I also cant tell you how many times he has gotten stuck next to the worst family on the plane, bc he was kind enough to move. The last time he moved, the family he was near was downright awful, obnoxious and smelly. He even got nailed in the head by one of the kiddos getting stuff from the overhead bin, it cut his ear. But he would be a jerk in your book if the next flight he says no to switching bc he would prefer to be near us.

Or I guess my perfectly healthy looking brother, age 29, would be a jerk when he would not give us his aisle seat that he paid extra for so he could be near the bathroom, bc he has a bladder condition since he was a teen.

Dont judge people for not moving you dont know their story, I think it is more jerky to judge complete strangers who you dont even know.
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Old 11-28-2012, 10:55 PM   #103
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

The real kicker is that no matter how many sob stories you post about why you shouldn't, can't or won't move, the system is what it is. So as long as you fly SWA, you're probably going to have to learn to live with people asking others to move. I love SWA and fly often, so I choose to not let it bother me. It's a means to get where I am going and not worth getting in a tizzy.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:56 PM   #104
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The real kicker is that no matter how many sob stories you post about why you shouldn't, can't or won't move, the system is what it is. So as long as you fly SWA, you're probably going to have to learn to live with people asking others to move. I love SWA and fly often, so I choose to not let it bother me. It's a means to get where I am going and not worth getting in a tizzy.
And equally "we" shouldn't have to listen to sob stories about why we should be asked to move to begin with...
Courtesy is a two way street. You can 'ask' but that doesn't mean someone is obligated to give you (general you) the answer you want to hear, which is a 'Yes, I would be happy to give you MY seat so you and your Precious SnowFlake can sit together.' No one is obligated to say 'yes' and move. And I think it is TOTALLY wrong of the airline staff to say that a plane will not leave the ground until someone switches seats. THAT IS WRONG!! Luckily, I have not been on a flight like that, but I have to say if I ever am, I would be calling headquarters afterwards and filing a complaint. Might not do any good to call, but I will still be making that call as That is not right that others should be FORCED to move. If you don't like the seats left, don't board. It's as simple as that.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:08 AM   #105
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkrop View Post

Dont judge people for not moving you dont know their story, I think it is more jerky to judge complete strangers who you dont even know.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: