Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 06:32 AM   #16
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Okay....SW says nothing about saving seats. Well, not until they come on the PA to tell you that it is a full flight, with no empty seats. Then, you see people scrambling to sit next to family members when they had been trying to save that middle seat, that would allow them more room.
If you want to pay for one person to have EBCI, fine go for it. But, good manners should prohibit you from trying to save more than the other two seats in your row. You shouldn't feel free to take a bunch of coats and try to save 5 or 6 seats!!!

Do I pay for EBCI? Usually not for my flight to my destination. But, I do tend to pay for it for my departure flights. That way I don't have to worry about checking in at the 24 hr window...hate having to do that at WDW. I pay for EBCI merely as a convenience, not for a better boarding group.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:05 AM   #17
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess on the Run View Post
You better be careful, the transportation hall monitors are going to be all over you if you even THINK about suggesting someone save seats.
I'm not too concerned.

WN has no official seat saving policy. This has been discussed here many, many times.

Just a disclaimer; I have not flown WN for years and have zero stake in this issue. I will add that if I saw someone sitting in an otherwise empty row of seats with a lap baby I would walk on by.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #18
Danibelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post

I think the people recommending seat-saving would feel different about it if *they* got on board a flight with their family members, only to find umpteen people saving seats for their families. If we put ourselves into that position, we wouldn't recommend it for others as often.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #19
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
WN has no official seat saving policy. This has been discussed here many, many times.
Which is why I said it.

I find it hilarious how much drama there is over this issue. I fly SWA all the time and never knew it was so scandalous until DIS.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #20
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

No drama, no scandalous behavior...it is what it is.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:12 PM   #21
dznygurl
Mouseketeer

On our flight to Orlando from New Orleans last week I had A29 while the rest of my family had B1-B-4. I opted to wait and board with them. Huge mistake! Not only did SW do Family Boarding, they let entire families (including grandparents) board. I could not believe what I was witnessing. By the time we were allowed to board we had to get to the last two rows in order to sit with each other. It was my youngest child's first time flying and was surprised that with B1 boarding we would possibly have to sit apart.

1989 1st trip to WDW
2000 POFQ (Thanksgiving)
2002 POR (4th of July)
2006 Silver Lakes Resort (Mardi Gras)
2009 Windsor Hills (Mardi Gras)
2010 AKL (just the girls)
2012 AoA (Thanksgiving)
Old 11-23-2012, 06:44 AM   #22
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznygurl View Post
On our flight to Orlando from New Orleans last week I had A29 while the rest of my family had B1-B-4. I opted to wait and board with them. Huge mistake! Not only did SW do Family Boarding, they let entire families (including grandparents) board. I could not believe what I was witnessing. By the time we were allowed to board we had to get to the last two rows in order to sit with each other. It was my youngest child's first time flying and was surprised that with B1 boarding we would possibly have to sit apart.
This would be a situation when I would send an email to SW. SW is supposed to have specific rulings about who gets to board within family boarding. And it is supposed to be one parent, one child. I have no issue with the whole family boarding as long as it is the immediate family and it isn't a huge family. A family of 5 shouldn't be an issue, but if you add all the other relatives??? Nope, that's not fair.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #23
Keegansmommy
Mouseketeer

When we flew in April, My husband and older son had A boarding. The SW employee at the gate told me to just board with them in the A group instead of waiting for family boarding (our younger son and I had B group). Coming back from Orlando the Family Boarding was 5 and under.

So much fun we're going AGAIN!

1985 - offsite 2004 - All Star Music (honeymoon)
1991 - offsite 2006 - All Star Sports
1998 - offsite 2008 - Pop Century
2009 - Pop Century
2010 - Pop Century
2011 - Port Orleans French Quarter
2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter
2013 - Leaving New Year's Day! Surprise Christmas present for our boys. - Port Orleans French Quarter
Old 11-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #24
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

Hmmm...

You did purchase Early Bird Check In and got B grade boarding passes. Then at boarding they let many additional adults and juniors board with the little children and ahead of you. And you can't find seats together.

Now it is okay to ask people if they would'nt mind switching seats so you can sit next to your wee'uns.

In favor of saving seats: Fewer situations where you end up sitting next to someone you don't want to sit next to and who does not want to sit next to you.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #25
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keegansmommy View Post
When we flew in April, My husband and older son had A boarding. The SW employee at the gate told me to just board with them in the A group instead of waiting for family boarding (our younger son and I had B group). Coming back from Orlando the Family Boarding was 5 and under.
And this is just one example of varying policies. It's hard to tell people what the policy is when airlines constantly amend the stated policy!! I have to ask...did you check in at the same time as your dh and older ds??? If so, why didn't you also have A boarding group? Or did you somehow just get split up?
Most here would have suggested that your dh and older ds go back to the B group with you vs you and younger ds moving ahead to the A group.

I just wish that airlines would set policy and then stick to it!!! It would make flying so much easier!!!!
Old 11-24-2012, 09:20 AM   #26
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

One problem with getting the A boarding passes -- you can't choose who fills up the seats around you after you have settled into your primo seats.

Three weeks ago we were flying home from Orlando, and two kids probably 4-6 yrs old, and an indulgent grandma sat behind us. Mom was behind them. "Mom, I want a different flavor lollipop." "Mom, I want to color." (Crayons were in the checked luggage.) "Why can't I color?" over and over.

DH tuned them out with his head phones. At least they didn't keep kicking our seats.

We were SOO glad when they changed planes to a connecting flight an hour later instead of continuing on our flight for another four hours.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #27
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
One problem with getting the A boarding passes -- you can't choose who fills up the seats around you after you have settled into your primo seats.

Three weeks ago we were flying home from Orlando, and two kids probably 4-6 yrs old, and an indulgent grandma sat behind us. Mom was behind them. "Mom, I want a different flavor lollipop." "Mom, I want to color." (Crayons were in the checked luggage.) "Why can't I color?" over and over.

DH tuned them out with his head phones. At least they didn't keep kicking our seats.

We were SOO glad when they changed planes to a connecting flight an hour later instead of continuing on our flight for another four hours.
Yep, there is that!!! I usually try to get seats either in the front exit row seats, with other exit rows behind me, or a regular row just in front of the exit rows!!! Otherwise, it's towards the back of the plane for me. I would rather sit in the last row than have seat kicking, whining kids behind me!!!
Old 11-25-2012, 12:02 AM   #28
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdb in AZ

Yep, there is that!!! I usually try to get seats either in the front exit row seats, with other exit rows behind me, or a regular row just in front of the exit rows!!! Otherwise, it's towards the back of the plane for me. I would rather sit in the last row than have seat kicking, whining kids behind me!!!
Our lastest greatest experience on our last flight home on SW....was not the baby directly in front of us that was so quiet you never knew she was there BUT was a MEOWING CAT behind us that wouldn't shut up!!! MANY of us were getting sick & tired of listening to it! And then when really got our goats was when the lady got off the plane and there was a big sign on the side of the carrier that said service animal??!! REALLY??!! a service cat??!! We all just looked at each other like this is a joke, right? Go ahead, flame away! No one could figure out what a service cat could do other other than calm someone with anxiety issues, but then it really can't help in a pet carrier under a seat. The way it was carrying on, that poor thing was miserable. So it wasn't fair to the animal or those of us around it and the person who supposedly needed it. Maybe flying isn't right for that person & the service cat. I mean it was bad enough listening to the screaming baby sitting in the back of the plane, but at least that was a human being. When does someone else's comforts/needs trump those of those they are surronding?? Really? I am just wondering? Because in all of my experiences 'true' service animals are extremely well behaved. I'm sorry I just don't think dozens of people should have to tolerate that. It really isn't reasonable.

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android
Old 11-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #29
tjmw2727
Enjoys "mom and me" trips
May just have to dance!

We flew SWA from Orlando this morning and I saw yet another variation on the family boarding process.

Gate agent said since there were already 50+ passengers onboard (8:30am flight!) that he would allow family boarding for one parent with a child up to 9. He was very strict about the other parents and older children boarding with their BP number but wanted to avoid the "last minute scramble" as it was a full flight.

We did use EBCI and had A boarding passes so we quickly found a row of 3 and got out of the way so I didn't actually see the family boarding.

Now - amoung the last passengers to board - well to the end of the C's were a family with two small children (definately under 4). The FA's did have too offer out a free drink to get them seated together but it didn't take to long.

Personally this bothers me the most - if you have kids and want to sit together on SW at least take advantage of family boarding if you can and don't make others move because you are late to the gate !!

TJ
Old 11-25-2012, 12:24 PM   #30
MomOf2As
Earning My Ears

We went to Disney World twice last summer and flew SW from STL to MCO. Both flight times were very busy. We have two kids, ages 2 and 3.5, and family boarding was offered on all our flights. We only saw 2 or 3 families using the family boarding, so I didn't feel that it was too much of a burden for the rest of the passengers. But then I again, my family was one of those so maybe I'm seeing it differently.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: