Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #76
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

Deluxe day 11

We had a later start today as our plan was Epcot world showcase

We stopped at club cool again and enjoyed the free coke samples – DD loved this.

We sampled a few things from the food and wine booths – a pork slider and a kona beer from the Hawaiian booth then spicy sausage, cheese soup and filet steak from Canada. The sausage was the best of these.

Used 4 snack credits and cash for the beer

Lunch

Via Napoli, Epcot

Rating Good

We had a 11.30 adr here. This was the first seating of the day. It was our first time here – I loved the decor and the server was from Italy and very sweet.

I had the parma ham and melon to start, DH aranchini – risotto balls which he liked and DD the salad which I also tried. We stuck to coke to drink.

For entree DH had the sausage pizza, me the pepperoni and DD the margarita. You have to order individual pizza on the dining plan – can’t combine to get a bigger one.

The pizza was ok but we weren’t wowed. The table next to us had two large pizzas which looked a lot better – a lot more topping on.

For dessert I enjoyed the ugly but good sundae with cherries, DH had lemon sorbet which he said was really refreshing and DD chocolate ice cream.

Used 3 TS credits
20ish trips to USA 1997 onwards including All Star Movies Dec 2009 with DDP, OKW Oct 2010 with DDP, Floridays Resort Oct 2011, Bahama Bay resort May 2012, OKW Oct 2012 with DxDDP, All Star Movies Oct 2013 with DDP

DH 40 Me 39 DD 8

Perfectly Princess Tea Party Review Disney Dining 2010 Review
Dining on a budget - $100 a day with coupons All new Dining on a Budget of $100 May 2012
Dixons go Deluxe Oct/Nov 12
dixonsontour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #77
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

Snacks

DH got a double espresso from a stall for a snack credit.

Myself and DD shared a chocolate strawberry from Karamel kulche in Germany for 1 snack credit.

We sampled some sushi from the Food & Wine booth in Japan and a lettuce wrap from the Korean booth – 2 snack credits.

In the kringla bakery in Norway DD had a chocolate mousse cake and we got a bottle of voss water – 2 snack credits.

Finally we had a sundae and a coke float from the fountain view ice cream parlour – 2 snack credits.

20ish trips to USA 1997 onwards including All Star Movies Dec 2009 with DDP, OKW Oct 2010 with DDP, Floridays Resort Oct 2011, Bahama Bay resort May 2012, OKW Oct 2012 with DxDDP, All Star Movies Oct 2013 with DDP

DH 40 Me 39 DD 8

Dining on a budget - $100 a day with coupons All new Dining on a Budget of $100 May 2012
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #78
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

Dinner

Spirit of Aloha show, Polynesian resort

Rating ok

We went to the 8pm show and had picked up the tickets in advance from concierge at our resort.

We got the bus from OKW to MK then the monorail so we could both have a drink – alcohol is included in the price.

We lined up to check in and then for a lei and lastly for the photo. This was free for us as we had photopass+

We then waited to go into the show in a small crowded area. DH unfortunately got his leg badly bitten whilst we waited to go in - would definitely recommend bug spray.

We were seated at the back on a raised area on our own table which suited us – it is assigned seating. I booked with the dining plan 180 days out – this was category 2.

The menu had changed the day before to a trial menu. There was bread, coleslaw and potato salad on the table. The server introduced himself and explained how things worked. DH had beer and I had the rose wine.

I asked about kids food and the option was hot dog or mac & cheese – DD chose a hot dog.

The show is outdoors in a covered pavilion. The temperature was fine for us but it was 8pm on 1st November. The whole look of the place is very retro 70’s – the little glasses for wine was like my mum used to have. The server was an older man who was talking to DH about football and Ronnie Rosthenthal for some reason (Liverpool footballer of the 80’s) which just added to the retro ambience!

The show started and they did an opening song – hawaiian rollercoaster – DD loved this, lots of cheesy singing and dancing like a kids tv show plus auntie winnie the lady who tell the story.

We were brought a platter with sliced pork, chicken and rice. This was ok at best – very dry.

DD got her hotdog – literally just that – we asked and she was given another.

There was also a bit where they got all the kids up (DD didn’t want to), anniversaries and birthdays.

The male and female dancers then did different styles of island dancing with costume changes – myself and DD really enjoyed this.

Dessert was brought out with a fanfare – it was poor – chocolate nut mousse. DD got some chocolate covered marshmallows.

I had 4 (small) glasses of wine and DH 4 or 5 small beers. We definitely had to look for the server to order another drink they weren’t overly generous with the alcohol.

Finally a fire eater came on – we all enjoyed this.

DD is 6 and was mesmerised by the show – it has been one of the things she has talked about most.

The food was very poor. The show was cheesy but fun and i’m glad we tried it once.

Used 6 TS credits includes tip

DH 40 Me 39 DD 8

Old 11-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #79
Ro Z
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=d

As the character breakfast at Hollywood and Vine didn’t appeal (DD didn’t know who the characters were) we opted for an early lunch instead. We were still at Hollywood studios before opening though.

After riding toy story twice we had some breakfast at starring rolls. They do have toasted bagels and muffins for breakfast we just opted for cake instead! DH got a red velvet cupcake which was very good and DD a m & m brownie which was very chocolately. I had a bite of each. We also got an iced coffee (not so good) (3 snack credits)[/QUOTE]

Cupcakes for breakfast! I wish you were my Mom!! Lol! Love your reviews and your daughter is adorable!
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:57 AM   #80
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Thanks so much for the Aloha Dinner Show review - you really don't see many and it's something we really want to try

As always DD looks super stylish in her hawaiian themed outfit
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #81
Mrs Doubtfire
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonsontour View Post
I emailed to book the slipper - got the email address off the cake thread on the DIS restaurants board. Did it about 3 or 4 weeks before the adr. Just gave them the adr number and the wording. They emailed me back with 24 hours - very easy. We paid on the day of the meal for the slipper - just over $15 inc tax.

DD enjoyed it - would make a lovely christmas surprise.
Thankyou - I am going to do this

Just checked but this isn't available at O'Hanas - what a shame.

Last edited by Mrs Doubtfire; 11-30-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Mrs Doubtfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #82
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

Deluxe day 12

Breakfast

Starring rolls, Hollywood studios

We shared a brownie and a maple pumpkin cupcake for breakfast – 2 snack credits

We also paid out of pocket for a cup of coffee.

Lunch

Sci fi, Hollywood studios

We had a 11.35 adr here and were seated soon after checking in. This is one of DD’s favourite places to eat – our 4th time here.

We were seated in a car – DD and I sat in the front and DH behind us.

I had the fried pickles to start with spicy ranch dressing and DH the buffalo chicken – both were really good. I had a burger and DH the picnic burger with sweet potato fries – a burger with a hot dog on. DD had macaroni cheese. We had cherry coke to drink (coke with cherry syrup). Food was all hot and tasty.

I paid extra for DD to have a light up Ariel drink as these are fun in the dark. These are $6.49 plus tax but she uses the cup at home.

For dessert DD had the make your own ice cream sundae. I asked if I could get a milkshake instead which I could. I had the solar flare - an orange milkshake which is unique to sci fi – was good. DH had the cheesecake.

We have always had enjoyable food at sci fi. DD enjoys sitting in the car and the silly film clips.

Used 3 TS credits

DH 40 Me 39 DD 8

Old 11-30-2012, 05:51 PM   #83
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

DISmeet

We met up with some UKDISboarders at the big river grille and brewing works at the boardwalk. I had a cocktail and DH a beer flight. DH also took DD for an icecream at seashore sweets – 2 scoops for a snack credit.

To park at the boardwalk we had to show our adr and ID. We were then given a password to say to the next car park attendant to be let in. Was very busy as it was a Friday night during the Food & Wine festival.

DH 40 Me 39 DD 8

Old 11-30-2012, 05:52 PM   #84
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

Dinner

Flying Fish, Boardwalk

We had a 7.05pm adr and walked over after our DISmeet.

We checked in at a podium outside and were given a pager. We waited inside.

After waiting for maybe 10 mins I started to get concerned. Things seemed very disorganised and some people seemed to be checking in inside. Anxious to avoid a repeat of Citricos I went and asked if I needed to check in inside. The girl couldn’t find me on the system but I had a pager?? They then seated us immediately so not quite sure what was going on.

The server here was very pleasant and helpful. I also liked the decor and atmosphere.

We started with some bread which Dh in particular enjoyed.

I had the appetiser duo – crab cake and Caesar salad. The crab cake was excellent, the salad ok. Dh had buffalo mozarella and DD fruit.

For entree I had the duo again – the potato wrapped red snapper and the char crusted steak. These are the two most popular entrees. I enjoyed them both.

DH had the char crusted steak and asked for fries not potatoes. He really enjoyed this. The steak came with a herb sauce on the side – sauce foyot.

DD had mickey shaped pasta alfredo which was ok but she is a steak lover and ended up eating a lot of our steaks.

For dessert myself and DH had the trio of boardwalk sweets which was a fun dessert. DD had the paint your own mickey chocolate puzzle she loves. She also ate my cake 'burger' which is thought was funny as she hates real burgers.

We all just had soda to drink – the server kindly gave DD a glowcube for hers.

This was an enjoyable meal – one of my favourite signature meals and I would definitely return.

The only downside was you had to come out of the restaurant to go to the restroom through seashore sweets. DD therefore ‘needed’ the restroom more than usual and each trip had to be hurried through the sweet shop!

Used 6 TS credits

DH 40 Me 39 DD 8

Last edited by dixonsontour; 11-30-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #85
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

Snacks

We did visit seashore sweets after dinner and spent some snack credits. DD filled 4 of the plastic tubes with different coloured sherbet (What we call Kayli being from Lancashire) for her friends. We also got a mint brownie shaped liked Mickey ears – all snack credits.

DH 40 Me 39 DD 8

Old 11-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #86
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Thanks so much for the Aloha Dinner Show review - you really don't see many and it's something we really want to try

As always DD looks super stylish in her hawaiian themed outfit
I think if you go with the right expections then you will enjoy it - they sell cocktails aswell as the included alcohol. Not sure what the veggie option is though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro Z View Post
Cupcakes for breakfast! I wish you were my Mom!! Lol! Love your reviews and your daughter is adorable!
We did it again on our next hollywood studio day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Doubtfire View Post
Thankyou - I am going to do this

Just checked but this isn't available at O'Hanas - what a shame.
Think slipper is only at CRT and park fare. Ohana is fun - would love to be spending xmas day there

DH 40 Me 39 DD 8

Old 12-01-2012, 08:28 AM   #87
Mrs Doubtfire
DIS Veteran

Another great review - I hope you had elasticated waistbands towards the end of the holiday

You have tried lots of different restaurants and it is good to hear about them as a few we probably wouldn't have looked at, such as the Flying Fish as we don't particularly like fish
Old 12-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #88
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Doubtfire View Post
Another great review - I hope you had elasticated waistbands towards the end of the holiday

You have tried lots of different restaurants and it is good to hear about them as a few we probably wouldn't have looked at, such as the Flying Fish as we don't particularly like fish
The diet will definitely need to be started after xmas!

DH is not a fish lover and hates fishy smelling places. Flying fish met with his approval.

DH 40 Me 39 DD 8

Old 12-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #89
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

Deluxe Day 13

Breakfast

Cape May, Beach club

Rating Good

We started the day with a 7.35am adr at the beach club. This was our second time here.

We were seated within a couple of minutes of check in and were given a booth.

We met Donald, Minnie and Goofy in their beach wear. The characters actually came around twice – Donald was very sweet with DD the second time. She had accidentally broken her hair band and was crying so he gave her a big hug.

Aswell as the usual breakfast favourites there is smoked salmon, asparagus and hollandaise sauce. For the Mickey waffles they also had chocolate chips and whipped cream.

We all had fun. Quieter and more laid back than some of the other character meals.

Used 3 TS credits

Lunch

We stopped for a drink in the florida mall foodcourt and bumped into a DISer we had met for the first time at the meet yesterday...it’s a small world afterall!

DD also got a new headband.....

This was our shopping day – DD had a mcdonalds happy meal (unlike the UK kids get fries and apple slices – plus they ask you girl or boy for the toy) and we had a Wendys near the florida mall.

DH 40 Me 39 DD 8

Old 12-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #90
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

Dinner

Artist point, Wilderness Lodge

Rating Good

We had a 6.20pm adr and were seated upon check in.

This was a lovely restaurant – really light and airy.

We enjoyed some sourdough bread.

I had the smokey mushroom soup which was delicious – best appetiser of the trip I think. DH had venison carpachhio. DD didn’t have an appetiser.

For entree I had the salmon. I enjoyed the salmon but wasn’t keen on the accompaniments (they change seasonally). DD had salmon with fries. She ate some of it but could see they had seasoned it with pepper on (she doesn’t like pepper). DH had the buffalo strip steak cooked medium which he enjoyed.

We all just had soda to drink.

For dessert I loved the cobbler with berries and ice cream (not my photo). DH had the dark and white chocolate sculpture. DD had her favourite white Mickey puzzle.

I think this was our quickest signature meal but this suited us as we were off to see fantasmic later.

A very enjoyable meal.

Used 6 TS credits

Snacks

Roaring fork, Wilderness lodge

We picked up a carrot cake muffin and a magic cookie bar for breakfast the next day – 2 snack credits.

DH 40 Me 39 DD 8

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: