Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #16
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

Breakfast

Tusker House, Animal kingdom

Rating Good

For the first few days whilst we are still on UK time we make the most of it and have early starts. We were the first car in the carpark.

We had an 8.05 adr and checked in at 7.57am. We waited a few mins then were called.

This was our fourth time eating here. We like the food, characters and the fact it gets you well into the park – you can just get straight on one of the first safaris of the day when you are done.

We had a photo with Donald on the way in. As we had photopass + this was included. They brought the package to the table during the meal to sell to us – I just had to show them the photopass card and they gave it to us in a bag or you could ship it to the resort.

Where we were seated the characters came around quickly which worked well as we saw all the characters then ate. We met Mickey, Daisy and Pluto.

There is a great selection of food – we really liked the carved ham with mustard sauce. There is also a great section of donuts and cakes on this buffet. We had coffee and jamba juice to drink (mixed fruit juice) and DD had chocolate milk.

Another forum member Jags recognised me from and came to say hi which was nice.

Used 3 TS credits

Snacks

It was hot today.

Coke float from anandapur ice cream truck, AK (1 snack credit)

Mickey bar (1 snack credit)

2 slushies one coke and one blue raspberry from drinkwallah, AK (2 snack credits)

We drank these in a little wooden hut behind drinkwallah which was nice and shaded.
20ish trips to USA 1997 onwards including All Star Movies Dec 2009 with DDP, OKW Oct 2010 with DDP, Floridays Resort Oct 2011, Bahama Bay resort May 2012, OKW Oct 2012 with DxDDP, All Star Movies Oct 2013 with DDP

DH 40 Me 39 DD 8

Perfectly Princess Tea Party Review Disney Dining 2010 Review
Dining on a budget - $100 a day with coupons All new Dining on a Budget of $100 May 2012
Dixons go Deluxe Oct/Nov 12
dixonsontour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #17
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

Late lunch

Rainforest cafe, AK

Rating Good

This was our second time eating here. DD loved it and wanted to eat here again.

Our adr was for 4pm but we were wilting and ready for a break at 2.15 ish. We asked if we could be seated early and were with a 10 min wait.

This is how the dxddp worked well for us. We would have otherwise left the park but after a sit down in the air conditioning stayed for the parade.

The server was lovely here and it was pretty quiet and the air conditioning was very welcome.

DD wanted the frog cup so we paid extra for that – $8.99. It was filled with blue slushie – her tongue was blue after two blue drinks in one day!

We shared an awesome appetiser – this was good especially the chimichangas. I had the shrimp dish off the specials menu – it was three sorts of shrimp and very tasty. DH had a double burger which he enjoyed. DD had pasta alfedo.

The server said we could have shared the volcano for dessert but DD wanted the worms in dirt off the kids menu. DH had cheesecake. I was full so passed on dessert. We had coke to drink.

Used 3 TS credits

We ended the day with a trip to Walmart for bottled water and some beer for DH. We didn’t end up eating anything later as we were full from lunch and had an early night.
20ish trips to USA 1997 onwards including All Star Movies Dec 2009 with DDP, OKW Oct 2010 with DDP, Floridays Resort Oct 2011, Bahama Bay resort May 2012, OKW Oct 2012 with DxDDP, All Star Movies Oct 2013 with DDP

DH 40 Me 39 DD 8

Dining on a budget - $100 a day with coupons All new Dining on a Budget of $100 May 2012

Last edited by dixonsontour; 11-19-2012 at 06:32 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #18
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica23535 View Post
Hi, great start to your review. My family and I were there roughly the same time.

We usually eat at Frankie & Benny's at Manchester airport every trip too.

It's a shame about Raglan Road, the food there's usually very good.
Frankie and Benny's is the best option at the airport i think. Raglan Rd has been one of our favourite meals all the other times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica23535 View Post
Omg your meal at Yachtsmans looked amazing, could eat that right now lol
So could I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkly View Post
Great so far.

We didn't enjoy Crystal Palace- it was packed, we waited ages for the characters to come round and the food was cold almost instantly because of the aircon being turned up really high. The Mickey waffles and eggs were good though- did you see the chocolate ones? I had one but it wasn't very nice. Apparently they had to make it less chocolately!

The tea party looked a lot of fun and super cute!
I didn't see the chocolate mickeys this time. The rest of the tea party pics are on photopass which I need to sort out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkaittloveex View Post
Joining in!
Thanks for reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212456 View Post
Everything looks so good!
Lots more photos to come

DH 40 Me 39 DD 8

Old 11-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #19
nutz2notz
Mouseketeer

Really enjoying your report. Love all the pictures of the menus and the surroundings of the restaurants.

Looking forward to more.

June 2013: OKW
December 2012: SSR June 2012: OKW
March 2011: OKW First Solo
Janaury 2011: SSR then AKV Kidani
January 2010: Grand Californian
December 2007: SSR
January 2007: SSR
January 1996: Offsite
nutz2notz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #20
Mrs Doubtfire
DIS Veteran

What a super day - DH loves the breakfast lasagne there. How lucky to be the 100th guest and your DD looks super cute in the Minnie outfit

I'm glad she stayed for the tea party - just nerves I suppose. My DD did some kind of cooking at the GF and I think I was more nervous leaving her there!!

The Yachtsman looked fabulous - what a great day for eating
Old 11-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #21
Earning My Ears

Do you think Tusker House would be worth it if you were paying oop?

Everything looks amazing, I'm so hungry reading these reviews, haha!

9 Trips and counting!
212456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:49 PM   #22
Mrs Doubtfire
DIS Veteran

I see my posts are out of sequence with your days - not sure how that happened

Anyway - the day at AK looks great - love the photo of the empty car park. Your post about Rainforest cafe reminded me that my DD's frog cup is still in the cupboard - perhaps I could have a drink in it for nostalgic reasons!
Old 11-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #23
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Great reviews! Your daughter is a cutie pie.

Jill in CO
Old 11-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #24
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

Breakfast

Akershus, Epcot

Rating Good

Another before park opening start to the day.

We had an 8.30am adr but were seated early as soon as we checked in.

This was our fourth time here. You get a photo package with Belle which is included in the price then are shown to your table. There is a small buffet (buffet is the same from both ends) with fruit, pastries, bagels and smoked salmon then the server brings a platter to share with sausages, bacon, scrambled eggs and cheese potato casserole which is really good. We had juice and coffee to drink think DD had chocolate milk.

The food is very fresh we all enjoyed. They ask if you want more of the platter food, I know we had some more potatoes.

DD met Cinderella, Aurora and Ariel. The princesses also do a parade with the little girls around the restaurant every 20 mins or so.

I realised DD aged 6 has outgrown princesses. When we went when she was 4 she was wowed by meeting them. She was still happy to pose for pictures with them and we all enjoyed the meal.

Used 3 TS credits

DH 40 Me 39 DD 8

Last edited by dixonsontour; 11-22-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:15 PM   #25
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

Snacks

I got a strawberry mango smoothie from a kiosk near mission space (1 snack credit)

DD had a chocolate cake and we shared a soda from sunshine seasons (2 snack credits)

Food and wine

We all shared some of the food and wine offerings for lunch  they are a snack credit and some are very good value. I did also get a Disney F & W wrist gift card to pay for alcohol with.

We tried the pulled pork, jerk chicken, dragon berry smoothie (alcoholic), empanadas, steak skewer, shrimp taco and beef taco. My favourite was the shrimp taco.

We also stopped in Norway at the bakery and shared a school bread, voss water and soda for 3 snack credits. DH especially loved the school bread  it had a custardy filling like a vanilla slice and coconut on top.

DH 40 Me 39 DD 8

Last edited by dixonsontour; 11-22-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #26
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

Dinner

Garden Grill, Epcot

Rating Excellent

This was a surprise hit with us all. DH and DD really hadn’t fancied it foodwise but we all enjoyed the food.

Our adr was for 5.50pm. Before eating we did the living the land boat tour so we could see where some of the food we would be eating is grown. We had a great server and really fun character interaction.

This was the best interaction we had. The characters weren’t rushed – came around twice and had time to interact not just pose for a picture and sign the autograph.

It’s a set meal for adults – we liked the bread rolls and salad to start. Then a platter was brought with steak, tilapia and turkey. There wasn’t much steak on the platter – just 2 small pieces but when DH asked for more he was brought a big plate of just that.

DD got a kids platter – chicken drumstick, sweet potato fries and broccoli. She had some of hers and ours. DH also ate some of her fries – think we also had some more of those.

DH tried one of the organic beers on the menu. We all had coke to drink.

The restaurant moves very slowly past the living the land scenes – DD was very impressed by this.

For dessert the children’s dessert had just changed to a cupcake – the server brought us one each. The adult dessert was fruit cobbler and vanilla cream which was good.

This was a fun relaxing meal – I liked the private booth seating, food and character interaction. Would definitely do again.

Used 3 TS credits

DH 40 Me 39 DD 8

Old 11-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #27
monica23535
DIS Veteran

Great reviews again!

We love Garden Grill, we actually had an ADR for there on the same night as you but we decided to go to MNSSHP at the last minute
Polynesian CL, DCL Dream & Beach Club Oct 2012

monica23535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #28
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

Breakfast Starring rolls, Hollywood studios

As the character breakfast at Hollywood and Vine didn’t appeal (DD didn’t know who the characters were) we opted for an early lunch instead. We were still at Hollywood studios before opening though.

After riding toy story twice we had some breakfast at starring rolls. They do have toasted bagels and muffins for breakfast we just opted for cake instead! DH got a red velvet cupcake which was very good and DD a m & m brownie which was very chocolately. I had a bite of each. We also got an iced coffee (not so good) (3 snack credits)

DH 40 Me 39 DD 8

Old 11-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #29
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

Lunch, Prime time, Hollywood Studios

Rating – ok

We had an 11 am adr and got there before opening. At check in I asked for a TV table. This was our first time here.

Our server played the cousin role – sitting down at our table and making DD set the table but nothing too wild.

I tried the peanut butter and jelly milkshake – which just tasted of peanut butter to me but glad I tried it. You got lots – a glass full plus the container full. DH and DD had cherry coke – which is made with cherry syrup.

To start DH and I had onion rings for appetiser which were good. DD had fruit and shared ours.

I tried the fried chicken (I asked for white meat) but it was too greasy for me – with hindsight fried onion rings + fried chicken on an emptyish stomach at 11 am were not a good idea. I felt a bit queasy for a few hours afterwards – it was also a really hot day which didn’t help.

DH went for the mom’s favourites sampler. He hated the meatloaf (like pedigree chum dogfood he said) and thought the chicken and pot roast ok.

DD went for nuggets and fries. She has never liked the kids nuggets at Disney and still didn’t.

DH 40 Me 39 DD 8

Old 11-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #30
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

For dessert we tried a boston crème parfait, brownie sundae and DD had a make your own sundae.

The decor was fun and we enjoyed the tv table. The food was ok but too heavy/greasy for so early in the day with hindsight. DH didn’t like it at all so I suspect we wont go back. I would go back but have a different main course.

Used 3 TS credits

Snacks

2 cokes from min and bill’s dockside diner before the parade – cm was new and very slow and gave me diet coke by mistake (2 snack credits)

Dinner

Hollywood Brown Derby

Rating Good

We had a fantasmic package adr for 4.05pm. As we were on the deluxe dining plan it made no difference to us but on ddp the fantasmic package gives you appetiser, main and dessert for your credits.

This turned out to be much better than we were expecting.

It was very cool and calm in the restaurant. I liked the decor. We had a lovely server who made a fuss of DD. We paid an extra $5 for an Evie starlight drink for DD – it came with a flashing glowcube. The server brought DD a light up ariel and buzz as well. This kept DD entertained all meal. Myself and DH had coke to drink.

This was our first time here. We had rolls and butter to start. I tried the cob salad which was tasty but a bit wet due to the lettuce being so finely chopped. DH had a mixed greens salad which he liked.

For our main courses DD opted for the tempura fish with chips (crisps). There was a mix up and they brought a grilled cheese but they swapped it. She enjoyed the fish but not the crisps which were the dry oven baked sort.

DH went for the bison but with risotto not truffle croquettes. He was glad he tried this – even though it was served rare.

I went for the 8oz filet with pancetta and corn risotto. The steak was delicious – the best filet I had all trip (and I had a few). The risotto was ok – wasn’t wowed by this – bit plain. I ended up sharing the filet with DH and DD who also loved it.

DH 40 Me 39 DD 8

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: