Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2014, 05:20 PM   #1
APiratesLifeForMe2
DIS Veteran

It's decided, a mother daughter trip!

I think I may have officially lost my mind or just gone over the edge but that's ok because it's all for the love of Disney. ..............Right?

Here me out first. After all, I need your approval before I break it to my DH.

I have been trying to plan a trip with just me (30) and my DM for at least a year. I had plans to go September 2014 but then DH jumped on board and said he was coming too. Then finances got really tight and we had to cancel our reservations and hope for a September 2015 trip with myself, DH and DM.

Well this afternoon I had an epiphany. Seriously, my brain was hijacked by Walt himself. I decided to see just how much a February 2015 trip would cost. February 7th through the 10th (3 nights, 4 days) which is plenty of time for me and DM to get in our Disney fix. I priced value, then looked up some plane flights. Did the math and it's a pretty decent price. It will be a few weeks before my birthday so I fully intend to tell DH I got the shaft on my 30th birthday last year since I had just lost my job and finances were too tight to do anything special. (Seriously we had dinner at home while DH got a week at the beach for his 30th a few years before). I called DM and she was on board within seconds of my mentioning Disney. She even offered to get the plane flight for my birthday gift! (CHA CHING)

I may have even booked a 9pm Cali Grill ADR for our arrival night and Wishes is at 10pm. I mean really, how perfect is this trip working out to be? I plan all other meals to be quick service and pack snacks from home to help keep food costs down.

Now comes the room and tickets. I have never been to the world in February so I have no idea if they ever release discounts or not. We will need to stay value to keep the costs down but I am a little torn on which one. I usually steer towards POP since I like their buses but I am open to suggestions if you have any. I also plan on asking my dad, in-laws and DH to forgo a normal Christmas gift for me and donate to the Disney trip so I can cover the rest of the costs. Only problem is the package balance will be due in full 45 days prior and Christmas will be after that time. Maybe I will book room and tickets separate since room only reservation balances can be paid later. I've never done this before - any tips?

Wish me luck in breaking the news to DH tonight. He is a wonderful hubby so I am sure he will be on board but I do feel a little guilt.

1988 Off Site, 1992 Off Site, 1996 ASMusic, 2000 CBR, 2004 POR, 2007 Poly, 2009 POFQ, 2010 POP, 2011 POP, 2013 WL
APiratesLifeForMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:43 AM   #2
ZebraDomeCrazy
Well behaved women rarely make history

Congratulations! I think it is wonderful to have Mother/daughter time alone. There is nothing like that bond, and what better place to share it! My daughter and I have taken two trips together when she was little. Then this year we did a super special 3 generations of girls, trip. It was my mom's 81st birthday and she had not been to Disney in almost forever. So, my mom - 81, myself 48 and my daughter 19 went to Disney! It was just wonderful! My Mom finally understands why my husband and I take our family every chance we get. My daughter and I have memories that will last a lifetime.

Life is so short - it is wonderful that you are taking this trip for you and your Mom! Guilt is such a useless emotion! Do not feel badly about taking this trip! Your husband sounds like he will understand, and want you to have fun. There will be plenty of time for future trips with him. Enjoy!! Jane

CBR - 1X, All Stars - 4X, AKL - 9X, POR - 3X, FQ - 1X
BWI - 1X, Poly - 1X, CSR - 2X WL - 1X, Kidani - 5X

ZebraDomeCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-09-2014, 12:43 PM   #3
lam0037
Mouseketeer

My mom and I have taken 8 mother-daughter trips since I was 12, the most recent being march 2013. They are some of my favorite trips, and allowed us to do things we might not have been able to if my dad went (MNSSHP, MVMCP, wishes dessert party, etc)

On these trips, we normally stay value. We've stayed at POP and all the all stars and our favorite is sports. It is the first bus stop for the all stars, and isn't as big as pop, or at least feels that way.

We normally have annual passes so we get just a room, often with the AP discount. If you were in fact still planning on going in September with your DH, then an AP might be beneficial. Unless you were planning on free dining or something that required a package.
lam0037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:05 PM   #4
APiratesLifeForMe2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZebraDomeCrazy View Post
Congratulations! I think it is wonderful to have Mother/daughter time alone. There is nothing like that bond, and what better place to share it! My daughter and I have taken two trips together when she was little. Then this year we did a super special 3 generations of girls, trip. It was my mom's 81st birthday and she had not been to Disney in almost forever. So, my mom - 81, myself 48 and my daughter 19 went to Disney! It was just wonderful! My Mom finally understands why my husband and I take our family every chance we get. My daughter and I have memories that will last a lifetime.

Life is so short - it is wonderful that you are taking this trip for you and your Mom! Guilt is such a useless emotion! Do not feel badly about taking this trip! Your husband sounds like he will understand, and want you to have fun. There will be plenty of time for future trips with him. Enjoy!! Jane
DH said he is fine with it but I know it will get held over my head several times in the coming months. Secretly I think he is happy because now he keeps trying to plan our next vacation to Curacao (our Honeymoon destination).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lam0037 View Post
My mom and I have taken 8 mother-daughter trips since I was 12, the most recent being march 2013. They are some of my favorite trips, and allowed us to do things we might not have been able to if my dad went (MNSSHP, MVMCP, wishes dessert party, etc)

On these trips, we normally stay value. We've stayed at POP and all the all stars and our favorite is sports. It is the first bus stop for the all stars, and isn't as big as pop, or at least feels that way.

We normally have annual passes so we get just a room, often with the AP discount. If you were in fact still planning on going in September with your DH, then an AP might be beneficial. Unless you were planning on free dining or something that required a package.
My mom was a single mom and has been taking me since I was 4 but our last trip was in 2009. We are veterans to this mother daughter trip thing. She hasn't been back since 2009 and I have been three times since then so it is a real treat, especially for her.

1988 Off Site, 1992 Off Site, 1996 ASMusic, 2000 CBR, 2004 POR, 2007 Poly, 2009 POFQ, 2010 POP, 2011 POP, 2013 WL
APiratesLifeForMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: