Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #3541
mm1971
DIS Veteran
 
mm1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 6,981

Hump Night Ownage! (I know what your thinking......keep it to yourself)

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
I can't believe you would brag about being in the lead when you do so much post padding!



Let's see

4th place at home (out of 4)
2nd place at work (owner in the way)
Assistant coach on DD hoop team

Yup, I'm at the top somewhere, even if it's only for a few hours. Gotta take it where and when I can get it.
__________________
(Jim) (W) (DS13) (DD11)
DD# 714



mm1971 is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #3542
BigTikiDaddy
DIS Dad #574
Ya hurt yer what?
 
BigTikiDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 5,224

Man, all today I've been innundated by requests and inquiries about the Westvleteren 12 beer, still haven't gotten any in the store yet, but I'm expecting a "Cabbage-Patch Kid circa 1983" type of riot. Talking to a friend tonight that heard they went through 100 units in 4 minutes at the Queens Quay store downtown Toronto. Insane. All for $76 too. Ought to be fun when it shows (I am thinking tomorrow or Friday night) if I get it. Got an email for ground rules. 1 per customer, no holding, strickly first come, first serve. They admit the dropped the ball with this, with late information, and not expecting the demand there is for it.
__________________
Polynesian April '03 (our belated official Honeymoon) POP Century January '06 (DD's first trip and DW's BDay) POP Century February '08 POP Century October 2010 (DD2's First trip and 10th Anniversary) POP Century August 2011 (Just Because)
POP Century August 2013 (see a trend happening?)

BigTikiDaddy is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #3543
RodBelding
DIS Dad #589
We Got The Better Belding
So help me, if you're encouraging any penguin obsession, things are going to get ugly
 
RodBelding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mass.
Posts: 6,107

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTikiDaddy View Post
Man, all today I've been innundated by requests and inquiries about the Westvleteren 12 beer, still haven't gotten any in the store yet, but I'm expecting a "Cabbage-Patch Kid circa 1983" type of riot. Talking to a friend tonight that heard they went through 100 units in 4 minutes at the Queens Quay store downtown Toronto. Insane. All for $76 too. Ought to be fun when it shows (I am thinking tomorrow or Friday night) if I get it. Got an email for ground rules. 1 per customer, no holding, strickly first come, first serve. They admit the dropped the ball with this, with late information, and not expecting the demand there is for it.
cool, so you'l be holding a case for each disdad, right?
__________________
_______________________________________________
Me (Paul) DW DD DS
RodBelding is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #3544
BigTikiDaddy
DIS Dad #574
Ya hurt yer what?
 
BigTikiDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 5,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1971 View Post
Let's see

4th place at home (out of 4)
2nd place at work (owner in the way)
Assistant coach on DD hoop team

Yup, I'm at the top somewhere, even if it's only for a few hours. Gotta take it where and when I can get it.
Really? I'm 5th out of 4 here, the dead betafish still holds some sway.
__________________
Polynesian April '03 (our belated official Honeymoon) POP Century January '06 (DD's first trip and DW's BDay) POP Century February '08 POP Century October 2010 (DD2's First trip and 10th Anniversary) POP Century August 2011 (Just Because)
POP Century August 2013 (see a trend happening?)

BigTikiDaddy is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #3545
BigTikiDaddy
DIS Dad #574
Ya hurt yer what?
 
BigTikiDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 5,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodBelding View Post
cool, so you'l be holding a case for each disdad, right?
I think the quantity they will send me will fall just short of that. I'll ship them by mail, wait by your mailboxes.
__________________
Polynesian April '03 (our belated official Honeymoon) POP Century January '06 (DD's first trip and DW's BDay) POP Century February '08 POP Century October 2010 (DD2's First trip and 10th Anniversary) POP Century August 2011 (Just Because)
POP Century August 2013 (see a trend happening?)

BigTikiDaddy is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 08:32 PM   #3546
twokids0204
DIS Dad #561
I control the universe.... scared yet?
 
twokids0204's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North of Toronto - Canada
Posts: 12,999

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoofy View Post
There seems to be a lot of post padding.
Yes you do...
__________________
1982 - Off Site * 1996 - Off Site * 1998 - All Star Sports * 2009 - Pop Century * 2010 - Pop Century * 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside

Me (Brian) DW (Sheri) DD12 DS9
Member #561
twokids0204 is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #3547
mm1971
DIS Veteran
 
mm1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 6,981

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTikiDaddy View Post
Man, all today I've been innundated by requests and inquiries about the Westvleteren 12 beer, still haven't gotten any in the store yet, but I'm expecting a "Cabbage-Patch Kid circa 1983" type of riot. Talking to a friend tonight that heard they went through 100 units in 4 minutes at the Queens Quay store downtown Toronto. Insane. All for $76 too. Ought to be fun when it shows (I am thinking tomorrow or Friday night) if I get it. Got an email for ground rules. 1 per customer, no holding, strickly first come, first serve. They admit the dropped the ball with this, with late information, and not expecting the demand there is for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodBelding View Post
cool, so you'l be holding a case for each disdad, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTikiDaddy View Post
I think the quantity they will send me will fall just short of that. I'll ship them by mail, wait by your mailboxes.
Woo-hoo!

Not sure I've ever heard of it. How about showing off that experience of yours and giving us a little history.
__________________
(Jim) (W) (DS13) (DD11)
DD# 714



mm1971 is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #3548
mm1971
DIS Veteran
 
mm1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 6,981

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTikiDaddy View Post
Really? I'm 5th out of 4 here, the dead betafish still holds some sway.
Well we have a Bearded Dragon, but at least she pretends to pay attention when I talk. I can never tell if she's looking at me because she wants something or making sure I'm not going to eat her.
__________________
(Jim) (W) (DS13) (DD11)
DD# 714



mm1971 is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 08:39 PM   #3549
BigTikiDaddy
DIS Dad #574
Ya hurt yer what?
 
BigTikiDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 5,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1971 View Post
Woo-hoo!

Not sure I've ever heard of it. How about showing off that experience of yours and giving us a little history.
Taken from Wikipedia ('cause I'm lazy)

The Westvleteren Brewery (Brouwerij Westvleteren) is a Belgian brewery founded in 1838 inside the Trappist Abbey of Saint Sixtus of Westvleteren in the Belgian municipality of Vleteren, not far from the hops-producing town of Poperinge and the medieval city of Ypres. The brewery and its beers are usually referred to as Westvleteren. The brewery's three beers have acquired an international reputation for taste and quality, as well as the limited availability of the beers which are not brewed to normal commercial demands.

Trappist monks from the Catsberg monastery, located in France, founded the St Sixtus monastery in 1831. In 1838, the brewing at Westvleteren commenced.[1] In 1850, some of the monks founded the Notre-Dame de Scourmont monastery, which also brews a Trappist beer. During World Wars I and II, the Westvleteren brewery continued to operate, albeit at a lower capacity. The brewery was the only Trappist one to retain the copper vessels throughout the wars—the other breweries had the copper salvaged by the Germans for their war efforts. In WWI this was primarily due to the abbey not being occupied by the Germans, but instead was caring for wounded allied troops.[1] In 1931, the abbey began selling beer to the general public, having only served beer to guests and visitors up until that time.[1] In 1946, the St. Bernardus brewery in nearby Watou was granted a licence to brew beer under the St Sixtus name. This agreement ended in 1992; St. Bernardus still brews beers of similar styles, but under their own name.[2] That same year, the abbey opened its new brewery to replace the older equipment.[2]

The brewery currently employs three secular workers for various manual labour tasks, however the primary brewing is done by the monks only. It is the only Trappist brewery where the monks still do all of the brewing. Of the 26 Cistercians who reside at the abbey, five monks run the brewery, with an additional five who assist during bottling

As with all other Trappist breweries, the beer is only sold in order to financially support the monastery and other philanthropic causes. Whilst the brewery is a business by definition (its purpose is to make money), it does not exist for pure profit motives, and they do no advertising except for a small sign outside the abbey which indicates the daily availability of each beer. The monks have repeatedly stated that they only brew enough beer to run the monastery, and will make no more than they need to sell, regardless of demand. During World War II, the brewery stopped supplying wholesalers and since then they only sell to individual buyers in person at the brewery or the visitor's centre opposite. These methods all go against modern business methods, however as stated by the Father Abbott on the opening of the new brewery, "We are not brewers. We are monks. We brew beer to be able to afford being monks."

The brewery currently brews three beers:
Westvleteren Blonde (green cap), 5.8% ABV, introduced on 10 June 1999.
Westvleteren 8 (blue cap) (formerly Extra), 8% ABV.
Westvleteren 12 (yellow cap) (formerly Abt), a 10.2% ABV, introduced in 1940.

Until 1999, the brewery also produced a 6.2% ABV dark beer and a lighter 4° which served as the monks' table beer, but these were replaced by the Blonde. The 8 and 12 are bottle conditioned and are considered to have a long shelf life, with some drinkers preferring the taste when the beers have been stored for several years. The ingredients are yeast, hops, malt, sugar, caramel and water.

The bottles have been sold without labels since 1945. All of the legally required information is printed on the crown tops. Because of this lack of space, Westvleteren beers are the only Trappist beers that do not have the official Trappist logo displayed on the bottle. The logo is only printed on the distinctive wooden crates. Any bottles that are labelled have had them added unofficially by others. For example, some importers into the United States label the bottles in order to comply with local regulations.

Currently, the beer is priced at €30.00 (Blonde), €34.00 (8°) and €39.00 (12°) per 24-bottle crate (excluding bottle/crate deposit). Deposit for empty bottles and crate: 12 EUR (9.60 EUR for the crate plus 0.10 EUR per bottle). Glasses specifically designed to drink the beer can be purchased at the abbey in packs of 6 for 17 euro.

Buyers were originally limited to ten 24-bottle crates of the beer per car, but as the beer increased in popularity, this was first reduced to five, then to three and now to two or one crates. For the Westvleteren 12 in 2009, it was limited to one case. When making an order now, the type and quantity of beer available for sale are revealed. Sales are limited to one order every 60 days per person per license plate and phone number. Also, the beer must be reserved on their "beerphone" beforehand.[5] The monks do not sell beer to individuals who drive up to the abbey hoping to purchase beer. The reason for this is to eliminate commercial reselling, and hence give all visitors a chance to purchase the product.

The current production is 4750 hl (60,000 cases) per year, and has remained the same since 1946.[5]

Aside from the brewery itself, the only other official sale point for the beer is the abbey-owned In de Vrede, a cafe and visitor's centre opposite the abbey. All beers can be bought there for immediate consumption or take-away, depending on availability (however, prices are higher than at the abbey). Often there is no beer available at the shop. The shop also sells cheeses made at the abbey, yeast tabs (not yeast to make beer but dead yeast for health) and other Trappist products.

Buyers of the beer receive a receipt with Niet verder verkopen ("Do not resell") printed on it. The abbey is very much against resale of their beer, and it is their wish that the beer is only commercially available at the two official sale points. To this end, any Westvleteren beer which is sold anywhere else in the world is grey market beer, as no wholesalers or pubs are supplied with the beer. The abbey is actively working to eliminate the illicit sales,[5] and generally only agrees to media interviews to spread their message against drinking illicitly sold Westvleteren beer.[6]





Westvleteren XII with gift packaging and glasses
The brewery and the Belgian retailer Colruyt are bringing a gift pack (6 bottles Westvleteren 12, 2 glasses) for sale, only against exchange of promotional coupons printed in selected media. Goal of the sales is to increase income to provide funds for urgent and immediate renovations at the monastery. Available from November 2, 2011, sales will be limited to 93.000 packs. One pack per coupon at 25,00 Euro/pack. All earnings of the sale will go to the renovation project. This is a first in the history of the brewery. (source: Het Nieuwsblad, October 14, 2011)

On November 4, 2011, it was announced that US importer Shelton Brothers would be importing 7760 gift packs consisting of 6 bottles Westvleteren 12 and 2 glasses starting in April 2012. Also mentioned was that Manneken-Brusel Imports out of Austin, TX would also be importing an undisclosed amount of the beer into the U.S market. Pricing is to be determined.[7] Gift packs were available to attendees of a Shelton Brothers beer festival in June 2012 at a price of $85.[8]

A six pack (at CAD$76.85) was sold out on December 11, 2012 at various LCBO locations in Ontario
Really? We haven't gotten it yet...still in warehouses according to our system

Many beer drinkers rank Westvleteren 12 among their favourite beers.[10][11] The 8 and the Blonde also rank highly on beer-rating websites.

In June 2005, when Westvleteren 12 was again highlighted as "Best Beer in the World", news organizations followed this up and articles appeared in the international press, highlighting the beer ranking and the unusual business policies.

Following these events, interest in Westvleteren's output increased and stories appeared of the abbey's stock being low, forcing the monks to reduce the amount of beer sold to each customer. In an interview, monk Mark Bode explained that the abbey had no intention of increasing its production, despite demand: "We make the beer to live but we do not live for beer."[3]

Despite the popularity, the monks of St Sixtus have continued to decline almost all interview and visit requests, and have not enjoyed all of the attention they have received. Non-monastic visitors to the abbey are usually turned away, instead being directed to the visitor's centre opposite where there is information about the abbey and brewery. They have stated their desire to only produce as much beer as needed to finance the community
__________________
Polynesian April '03 (our belated official Honeymoon) POP Century January '06 (DD's first trip and DW's BDay) POP Century February '08 POP Century October 2010 (DD2's First trip and 10th Anniversary) POP Century August 2011 (Just Because)
POP Century August 2013 (see a trend happening?)

BigTikiDaddy is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #3550
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one
 
declansdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 19,793

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodBelding View Post
cool, so you'l be holding a case for each disdad, right?

At a Disdad discount of course.
__________________
Darcy
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr




declansdad is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #3551
BigTikiDaddy
DIS Dad #574
Ya hurt yer what?
 
BigTikiDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 5,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1971 View Post
Well we have a Bearded Dragon, but at least she pretends to pay attention when I talk. I can never tell if she's looking at me because she wants something or making sure I'm not going to eat her.
I didn't trust the kids' Sea Monkeys, so I did away with 'em....
__________________
Polynesian April '03 (our belated official Honeymoon) POP Century January '06 (DD's first trip and DW's BDay) POP Century February '08 POP Century October 2010 (DD2's First trip and 10th Anniversary) POP Century August 2011 (Just Because)
POP Century August 2013 (see a trend happening?)

BigTikiDaddy is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #3552
BigTikiDaddy
DIS Dad #574
Ya hurt yer what?
 
BigTikiDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 5,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
At a Disdad discount of course.
I'll give you the same discount I get.
__________________
Polynesian April '03 (our belated official Honeymoon) POP Century January '06 (DD's first trip and DW's BDay) POP Century February '08 POP Century October 2010 (DD2's First trip and 10th Anniversary) POP Century August 2011 (Just Because)
POP Century August 2013 (see a trend happening?)

BigTikiDaddy is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #3553
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends
now I have some things to plan, I'm going to try to get the Dapper Dans
 
Disney Commando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: The Shore, NJ
Posts: 5,732

For our next trip in August I'm looking at right now Aug 4-14 going to try to get 2 weeks (in a row)off and go for a 10 nighter

During this trip things included will be

- Busch Garden (Tampa) & water park
- Sea World & water park
- Gatorland
- Universal (gonna give it a 2nd chance)

We will stay at All Star Movies the whole 10 nights, get 6 or 7 day Hopper Passes, with no meal plan.

The only Table Serves we are planning to do are

- Ohana's
- Boma's
- Teppen Edo
- Shula's
- T-Rex Cafe
- Be Our Guest, although the menu does not impress me

I do want to hit the McDonald's near our resort since we have passed it like a million times, just want to say I was there
__________________
Me DH (45), DW (44) , DS (8)
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Disney Commando is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #3554
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends
now I have some things to plan, I'm going to try to get the Dapper Dans
 
Disney Commando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: The Shore, NJ
Posts: 5,732

Brent. how much is Johnny Walker Blue going for there, a store by me is having a special for $169
__________________
Me DH (45), DW (44) , DS (8)
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Disney Commando is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #3555
mm1971
DIS Veteran
 
mm1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 6,981

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTikiDaddy View Post
Taken from Wikipedia ('cause I'm lazy)

The Westvleteren Brewery (Brouwerij Westvleteren) is a Belgian brewery founded in 1838 inside the Trappist Abbey of Saint Sixtus of Westvleteren in the Belgian municipality of Vleteren, not far from the hops-producing town of Poperinge and the medieval city of Ypres. The brewery and its beers are usually referred to as Westvleteren. The brewery's three beers have acquired an international reputation for taste and quality, as well as the limited availability of the beers which are not brewed to normal commercial demands.

Trappist monks from the Catsberg monastery, located in France, founded the St Sixtus monastery in 1831. In 1838, the brewing at Westvleteren commenced.[1] In 1850, some of the monks founded the Notre-Dame de Scourmont monastery, which also brews a Trappist beer. During World Wars I and II, the Westvleteren brewery continued to operate, albeit at a lower capacity. The brewery was the only Trappist one to retain the copper vessels throughout the wars—the other breweries had the copper salvaged by the Germans for their war efforts. In WWI this was primarily due to the abbey not being occupied by the Germans, but instead was caring for wounded allied troops.[1] In 1931, the abbey began selling beer to the general public, having only served beer to guests and visitors up until that time.[1] In 1946, the St. Bernardus brewery in nearby Watou was granted a licence to brew beer under the St Sixtus name. This agreement ended in 1992; St. Bernardus still brews beers of similar styles, but under their own name.[2] That same year, the abbey opened its new brewery to replace the older equipment.[2]

The brewery currently employs three secular workers for various manual labour tasks, however the primary brewing is done by the monks only. It is the only Trappist brewery where the monks still do all of the brewing. Of the 26 Cistercians who reside at the abbey, five monks run the brewery, with an additional five who assist during bottling

As with all other Trappist breweries, the beer is only sold in order to financially support the monastery and other philanthropic causes. Whilst the brewery is a business by definition (its purpose is to make money), it does not exist for pure profit motives, and they do no advertising except for a small sign outside the abbey which indicates the daily availability of each beer. The monks have repeatedly stated that they only brew enough beer to run the monastery, and will make no more than they need to sell, regardless of demand. During World War II, the brewery stopped supplying wholesalers and since then they only sell to individual buyers in person at the brewery or the visitor's centre opposite. These methods all go against modern business methods, however as stated by the Father Abbott on the opening of the new brewery, "We are not brewers. We are monks. We brew beer to be able to afford being monks."

The brewery currently brews three beers:
Westvleteren Blonde (green cap), 5.8% ABV, introduced on 10 June 1999.
Westvleteren 8 (blue cap) (formerly Extra), 8% ABV.
Westvleteren 12 (yellow cap) (formerly Abt), a 10.2% ABV, introduced in 1940.

Until 1999, the brewery also produced a 6.2% ABV dark beer and a lighter 4° which served as the monks' table beer, but these were replaced by the Blonde. The 8 and 12 are bottle conditioned and are considered to have a long shelf life, with some drinkers preferring the taste when the beers have been stored for several years. The ingredients are yeast, hops, malt, sugar, caramel and water.

The bottles have been sold without labels since 1945. All of the legally required information is printed on the crown tops. Because of this lack of space, Westvleteren beers are the only Trappist beers that do not have the official Trappist logo displayed on the bottle. The logo is only printed on the distinctive wooden crates. Any bottles that are labelled have had them added unofficially by others. For example, some importers into the United States label the bottles in order to comply with local regulations.

Currently, the beer is priced at €30.00 (Blonde), €34.00 (8°) and €39.00 (12°) per 24-bottle crate (excluding bottle/crate deposit). Deposit for empty bottles and crate: 12 EUR (9.60 EUR for the crate plus 0.10 EUR per bottle). Glasses specifically designed to drink the beer can be purchased at the abbey in packs of 6 for 17 euro.

Buyers were originally limited to ten 24-bottle crates of the beer per car, but as the beer increased in popularity, this was first reduced to five, then to three and now to two or one crates. For the Westvleteren 12 in 2009, it was limited to one case. When making an order now, the type and quantity of beer available for sale are revealed. Sales are limited to one order every 60 days per person per license plate and phone number. Also, the beer must be reserved on their "beerphone" beforehand.[5] The monks do not sell beer to individuals who drive up to the abbey hoping to purchase beer. The reason for this is to eliminate commercial reselling, and hence give all visitors a chance to purchase the product.

The current production is 4750 hl (60,000 cases) per year, and has remained the same since 1946.[5]

Aside from the brewery itself, the only other official sale point for the beer is the abbey-owned In de Vrede, a cafe and visitor's centre opposite the abbey. All beers can be bought there for immediate consumption or take-away, depending on availability (however, prices are higher than at the abbey). Often there is no beer available at the shop. The shop also sells cheeses made at the abbey, yeast tabs (not yeast to make beer but dead yeast for health) and other Trappist products.

Buyers of the beer receive a receipt with Niet verder verkopen ("Do not resell") printed on it. The abbey is very much against resale of their beer, and it is their wish that the beer is only commercially available at the two official sale points. To this end, any Westvleteren beer which is sold anywhere else in the world is grey market beer, as no wholesalers or pubs are supplied with the beer. The abbey is actively working to eliminate the illicit sales,[5] and generally only agrees to media interviews to spread their message against drinking illicitly sold Westvleteren beer.[6]





Westvleteren XII with gift packaging and glasses
The brewery and the Belgian retailer Colruyt are bringing a gift pack (6 bottles Westvleteren 12, 2 glasses) for sale, only against exchange of promotional coupons printed in selected media. Goal of the sales is to increase income to provide funds for urgent and immediate renovations at the monastery. Available from November 2, 2011, sales will be limited to 93.000 packs. One pack per coupon at 25,00 Euro/pack. All earnings of the sale will go to the renovation project. This is a first in the history of the brewery. (source: Het Nieuwsblad, October 14, 2011)

On November 4, 2011, it was announced that US importer Shelton Brothers would be importing 7760 gift packs consisting of 6 bottles Westvleteren 12 and 2 glasses starting in April 2012. Also mentioned was that Manneken-Brusel Imports out of Austin, TX would also be importing an undisclosed amount of the beer into the U.S market. Pricing is to be determined.[7] Gift packs were available to attendees of a Shelton Brothers beer festival in June 2012 at a price of $85.[8]

A six pack (at CAD$76.85) was sold out on December 11, 2012 at various LCBO locations in Ontario
Really? We haven't gotten it yet...still in warehouses according to our system

Many beer drinkers rank Westvleteren 12 among their favourite beers.[10][11] The 8 and the Blonde also rank highly on beer-rating websites.

In June 2005, when Westvleteren 12 was again highlighted as "Best Beer in the World", news organizations followed this up and articles appeared in the international press, highlighting the beer ranking and the unusual business policies.

Following these events, interest in Westvleteren's output increased and stories appeared of the abbey's stock being low, forcing the monks to reduce the amount of beer sold to each customer. In an interview, monk Mark Bode explained that the abbey had no intention of increasing its production, despite demand: "We make the beer to live but we do not live for beer."[3]

Despite the popularity, the monks of St Sixtus have continued to decline almost all interview and visit requests, and have not enjoyed all of the attention they have received. Non-monastic visitors to the abbey are usually turned away, instead being directed to the visitor's centre opposite where there is information about the abbey and brewery. They have stated their desire to only produce as much beer as needed to finance the community
OK, now I'm on a quest to find it. I'll ask at the local places to see if they have heard of it or might be getting any. Now I see why they are willing to spend the money. It sounds like a fun thing to have when getting together with friends. Thanks for the info.
__________________
(Jim) (W) (DS13) (DD11)
DD# 714



mm1971 is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
bacon, cake, ddcc, dole whips, men



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.