DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
jsolar
Mouseketeer
 
jsolar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Huntingdon Valley, PA
Posts: 354

DVC points for a cruise

I recently got off of the Fantasy and was introduced to the DVC. While I am interested, I have not been told what the points would be for a cruise. My family only cruises, at least for now, and I wanted to see if it was worth it for me.
Any advice would be great.
Thanks in advance.
__________________

Disney Cruise: Fantasy, 6/29/13, Fantasy, 6/23/12, Fantasy, 7/5/11, Dream, 8/17/10, Wonder, 8/22/09, Magic
Disney World: Disney's Beach Club, 06/27/13Pop Century Resort, 6/24/05, All Star Sports Resort, 01/05/96, Polynesian Resort, 09/08/87

jsolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 24,243
DISboards Moderator

I'm sure you will get lots of replies - most telling you that using DVC for cruises is not the best economic use of points. (FWIW, I happen to agree with that opinion).

Here's a link to the points required to take a cruise on the Fantasy in 2013:

2013 Point Chart - 7 night Eastern & Western Caribbean Cruises


This is just one of the charts, but as you can see, cruising takes a lot of points!
__________________
Best Wishes -



BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 17,734

More importantly, not all cruses are open to be booked with points. IMO Disney wants cash, if a cruise looks like it won't sale full, they offer up cabins for points.

They also seem to offer a few point cabins just to be able to say that you can use your points for a cruise for DVC marketing purposes.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
crisi
DIS Veteran
 
crisi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 22,408

And a third caveat, points for cruises aren't stable - DVC resorts are (for the most part, there is a complicated reason they aren't completely). Next year that cruise might cost you 20 more points per person.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
Sandisw
Moderator
 
Sandisw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 9,652
DISboards Moderator

And when you buy DVC, you are buying the right to stay at your home resort. While I think the likelihood of cruising being completely taken away will be rare, it can be. Therefore I don't think you should buy if your sole purpose is to cruise.
__________________
Sandi



Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,217

Simply for cruising, DVC will cost more than paying cash, there are no guarantees, the plan could go away at any time, the price isn't stable and any portion you pay on cash combined with points will be more expensive than early booking discounts. Also, any cash portion is due up front, there is a $95 fee and a new fee if you make any changes. If you cancel your points are restricted and expire the end of the year. There is no way anyone can make a reasonable case for buying DVC simply to cruise. At best you'd break even some of the time and lose money with many hassles the rest. Not to mention you'd have to pay almost twice as much for the points for this privilege.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
BestDadEver
New DVC Member
 
BestDadEver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island
Posts: 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandisw View Post
And when you buy DVC, you are buying the right to stay at your home resort. While I think the likelihood of cruising being completely taken away will be rare, it can be. Therefore I don't think you should buy if your sole purpose is to cruise.
This.

I am in the minority of people that belive cruising would be a good use of points due to it being all inclusive .

But I agree that to do it exclusively to cruise would be a waste . I looked into dvc for the first time before my first ever cruise on june 2 . To see if I can get the points for the cruise, and then the money I put to the cruise would go towrds the dvc membership , that way I would owe that much less for my membership .

That was the plan but it just didnt work cause you a lot of points to cruise . So I think we were going to get close to 200 points, then would have had to bank and borrow , to go on the cruise, then we would have to wait cause we wouldn't have points the following year . The cost was way to much . I ended up buying 100points on the cruise and am kaput with that purchase .
__________________
Member since 2012


BestDadEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #8
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,217

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestDadEver View Post
This.

I am in the minority of people that belive cruising would be a good use of points due to it being all inclusive .

But I agree that to do it exclusively to cruise would be a waste . I looked into dvc for the first time before my first ever cruise on june 2 . To see if I can get the points for the cruise, and then the money I put to the cruise would go towrds the dvc membership , that way I would owe that much less for my membership .

That was the plan but it just didnt work cause you a lot of points to cruise . So I think we were going to get close to 200 points, then would have had to bank and borrow , to go on the cruise, then we would have to wait cause we wouldn't have points the following year . The cost was way to much . I ended up buying 100points on the cruise and am kaput with that purchase .
The fact that food and other items are included is irrelevant due to the fact that any cruise you take would include those items. The way to compare is cash to points. If you do that at a time where early booking discounts are active, you normally get around $6-6.75 a point return but at times up to $7.50 and as low as $4.50. Cruise availability has been significantly decreased the last year or so and points had always been fluid, usually increasing.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #9
BestDadEver
New DVC Member
 
BestDadEver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island
Posts: 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
The fact that food and other items are included is irrelevant due to the fact that any cruise you take would include those items. The way to compare is cash to points. If you do that at a time where early booking discounts are active, you normally get around $6-6.75 a point return but at times up to $7.50 and as low as $4.50. Cruise availability has been significantly decreased the last year or so and points had always been fluid, usually increasing.
Why would you compare it to another cruise, you would compare it using the points at a dvc resort . I can't use the points for diffrent cruises only dcl .

So you are saying that I should rent/trade and go on a non disney cruise . Then it may make sence .
__________________
Member since 2012


BestDadEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #10
BestDadEver
New DVC Member
 
BestDadEver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island
Posts: 660

The points for my recent cruise would have been 384 points for 2 adults and child it cost me $4000 if I got the going rate of $10per points I would have $3840 I save $260 using points .
__________________
Member since 2012



Last edited by BestDadEver; 07-04-2012 at 11:29 AM.
BestDadEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #11
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,972

The reason why comparing taking a cruise with visiting WDW at claiming that it is a better deal because it includes all food and entertainment is in accurate is because it is not a direct comparison. Your cruise was not a better value for the points than a visit to WDW. Your cruise was 384 points. For those points you could have stayed in a Boardwalk View studio for close to 24 days. I'm guessing that your cruise was 7 days. So the comparison is 7 days at sea with food vs. 24 days on land without food.

Or, if you want to compare equal lengths of stay, you could use 107 points to stay for a week, and then rent out the other 277 points for $2770, which I'm sure would more than cover the cost of tickets and food.

To say it another way, DCL isn't a better use of points because it includes food. It costs more points than a WDW stay because it includes food.

OP, based on what I've read in your posts on here, I would say that you have a very interesting way of looking at your vacation options. I think that on some level they make sense in that you receive a certain level of comfort from the choices you make. And that's totally cool. But if you want to take a look at it from a strictly mathematical point of view, a lot of what you say does not add up.
__________________
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #12
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 24,243
DISboards Moderator

The cruise is all inclusive no matter how you pay for it.

So the real question is how to get the cruise for the least cost. It comes down to how you value DVC points.

Some people value their points for the price they can get by renting or transferring them. Those people usually asign value of $10-$13 per point.

Some people value their points by diving the purchase price by the number of years remaining on the contract and then adding the dues. For example if you bought BWV points in 2012 for $60 per point, then the value would be 60/30 or $2 plus dues ($5.62) or $7.62.

Some people who have had their points for a long time consider their value to be the cost of dues. The consider the purchase price as a sunk cost. (To me that makes sense only if you already have a contract, not if you are considering a purchase).

There are other ways of valuing points,but I think I've captured the more popular ones.


Now if you have a cash price from DCL or a TA, you can compare it with the number of points required to cruise times the value of a point. In many cases, the point cost will be more than the cash cost. Remember, the charts are per person, not per cabin.
__________________
Best Wishes -



BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #13
BestDadEver
New DVC Member
 
BestDadEver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island
Posts: 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolMN View Post
The cruise is all inclusive no matter how you pay for it.

So the real question is how to get the cruise for the least cost. It comes down to how you value DVC points.

Some people value their points for the price they can get by renting or transferring them. Those people usually asign value of $10-$13 per point.

Some people value their points by diving the purchase price by the number of years remaining on the contract and then adding the dues. For example if you bought BWV points in 2012 for $60 per point, then the value would be 60/30 or $2 plus dues ($5.62) or $7.62.

Some people who have had their points for a long time consider their value to be the cost of dues. The consider the purchase price as a sunk cost. (To me that makes sense only if you already have a contract, not if you are considering a purchase).

There are other ways of valuing points,but I think I've captured the more popular ones.


Now if you have a cash price from DCL or a TA, you can compare it with the number of points required to cruise times the value of a point. In many cases, the point cost will be more than the cash cost. Remember, the charts are per person, not per cabin.
I never thought to look at it like this . My cost per point is $7.44 .

But I look at it a free after my brake even point plus the dues .

I also can't compare 24 day stay to a cruise . IMO I just feel that if I pay 4000 for a cruise vs no out of pocket money is better , cause I already payed for it , and after the brake even point everything is gravy too me .

I understand other peoples veiws . this just my preference .
__________________
Member since 2012


BestDadEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #14
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,217

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestDadEver View Post
Why would you compare it to another cruise, you would compare it using the points at a dvc resort . I can't use the points for diffrent cruises only dcl .
You missed the point, you compare to DCL with cash vs DCL using DVC points.

Quote:
So you are saying that I should rent/trade and go on a non disney cruise . Then it may make sence .
I'm not saying you should or should not no anything, they're your points, you can do what you want within the rules. However, from a dollar standpoint, buying points to use for cruising is a losing proposition. One might be better off selling the points than using them for DCL routinely. You could certainly rent and then use the cash for any cruise (DCL or otherwise) but I don't think that's a great option either long term though it's certainly better than routinely using them for DCL. It sounds like you haven't bought yet, if that's the case, do yourself a favor and buy just the points you'd use at DVC and pay cash for the cruise, you'll thank us later.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #15
BestDadEver
New DVC Member
 
BestDadEver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island
Posts: 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
You missed the point, you compare to DCL with cash vs DCL using DVC points.

I'm not saying you should or should not no anything, they're your points, you can do what you want within the rules. However, from a dollar standpoint, buying points to use for cruising is a losing proposition. One might be better off selling the points than using them for DCL routinely. You could certainly rent and then use the cash for any cruise (DCL or otherwise) but I don't think that's a great option either long term though it's certainly better than routinely using them for DCL. It sounds like you haven't bought yet, if that's the case, do yourself a favor and buy just the points you'd use at DVC and pay cash for the cruise, you'll thank us later.
I already bought . I joined on the cruise june 2nd only got 100 points . I am not planning on cruising with it exclusively . And definely plan on using them for DVC stays . You are right I had looked into buying enough point to cruise with before my trip and found that it wasen't worth it to buy enough points to cruise , but if every now and then go on a cruise with banked and borrowed points would seem like a good idea to me .
__________________
Member since 2012


BestDadEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.