Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 06:55 AM   #631
RunnerMomO
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Cherie
Does anyone know haw many racers were in last year? Just did PHM and don't want to go to a race with that mob scene again... Tried to do a google search but didn't see a number. Thanks!
According to the results page from last year they had 11834 Participants. It was very crowded at the start and I wasted a lot of energy running around people. There are I think 5 corrals.
RunnerMomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #632
crewmatt
DIS Veteran

All registered

I think the race went extremely well last year. The later start date really helped with the weather - it was night and day from ToT 10 miler. As far as bag check/etc, I was literally on the first bus, so I walked right up and was probably the 2nd person to take a picture with Mickey and Minnie and with all the various photo stops they set up. Then met up with some friends and did everything but Mickey and Minnie again (man that line got long quick). But for bag/check, toilets, etc, no real lines at all. And I had a way easier time getting to my corral in the W&D then I usually do in the marathon.

The on course entertainment seemed well put together. The lights in hollywood studios were awe inspring as usual.

As far as the course, I started in corral A so I'm probably biased here, but its a fairly wide course for the first few miles as you leave WWoS and head to AK. There was no real crowding there, and for the most part people seemed to line up according to speed. There were some discrepancies, but the width of the course helped sort that out without any major issues.

In AK the paths get a bit more narrow, but by then Corral A had spread out quite a bit and were all running about the same pace, me and my friend ran shoulder to shoulder the entire time and I dont think we had any issues having to squeeze by anyone. I think they had just set off the last Corral by the time we were getting into AK. It might have been a bit dark for some, but I usually run at night or before sunrise (yay texas summers) so running in the dark is actually my preference.

And inside of EP they had the coolest way of moving people across the race course. I never really felt crowded in the after party and dont think I waited more than a couple minutes for anything.

crewmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #633
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Cherie View Post
Does anyone know haw many racers were in last year? Just did PHM and don't want to go to a race with that mob scene again... Tried to do a google search but didn't see a number. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyk8 View Post
Rundisney twitter account says 14000 expected for the W&D half marathon itself. Don't know how that compares to PHM though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerMomO View Post
According to the results page from last year they had 11834 Participants. It was very crowded at the start and I wasted a lot of energy running around people. There are I think 5 corrals.

That would align... 14,000 entries and just under 12,000 finishers.

Note that while the numbers are lower, the course tends to feel crowded at the DAK and in much of the DHS, though as a B runner, I never felt a crowd on the roadways.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #634
tiffrobyn
Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming swimming swimming swimming.

Adding to my half marathon registration, my DH, DS & Mom are now doing the 5K! My two DD's are doing the kids races!
tiffrobyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #635
sunnygal041
DIS Veteran

I'm in for the 1/2. Here we go......

Cindy

sunnygal041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #636
RunnerMomO
DIS Veteran

Signed up for our 4th year in a row!
RunnerMomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #637
laurenjdaisy
Earning My Ears

Has anyone done the pre race party the night before? I've been thinking about running the f&w as my first half and now a friend just signed up so now I'm going to have to do it :-). She signed up for the pre race party and I want to hear more about it before I add that on. I don't know how much eating exploration I'd want to do the day before a half marathon...
Old 03-18-2013, 07:16 AM   #638
PlutoBaby
Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenjdaisy View Post
Has anyone done the pre race party the night before? I've been thinking about running the f&w as my first half and now a friend just signed up so now I'm going to have to do it :-). She signed up for the pre race party and I want to hear more about it before I add that on. I don't know how much eating exploration I'd want to do the day before a half marathon...
I may be wrong as last year was my first W&D, but I don't seem to recall there being a pre-race party last year. I believe this is something new for 2013.

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
PlutoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #639
sunnygal041
DIS Veteran

53%

sunnygal041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #640
Figment1990
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoBaby View Post
I may be wrong as last year was my first W&D, but I don't seem to recall there being a pre-race party last year. I believe this is something new for 2013.
There was no pre-race party in 2012 or 2011. I signed up for it because well, I was in a little bit of euphoric state that morning and figured I'd just go all out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewmatt View Post
All registered

I think the race went extremely well last year. The later start date really helped with the weather - it was night and day from ToT 10 miler. As far as bag check/etc, I was literally on the first bus, so I walked right up and was probably the 2nd person to take a picture with Mickey and Minnie and with all the various photo stops they set up. Then met up with some friends and did everything but Mickey and Minnie again (man that line got long quick). But for bag/check, toilets, etc, no real lines at all. And I had a way easier time getting to my corral in the W&D then I usually do in the marathon.

The on course entertainment seemed well put together. The lights in hollywood studios were awe inspring as usual.

As far as the course, I started in corral A so I'm probably biased here, but its a fairly wide course for the first few miles as you leave WWoS and head to AK. There was no real crowding there, and for the most part people seemed to line up according to speed. There were some discrepancies, but the width of the course helped sort that out without any major issues.

In AK the paths get a bit more narrow, but by then Corral A had spread out quite a bit and were all running about the same pace, me and my friend ran shoulder to shoulder the entire time and I dont think we had any issues having to squeeze by anyone. I think they had just set off the last Corral by the time we were getting into AK. It might have been a bit dark for some, but I usually run at night or before sunrise (yay texas summers) so running in the dark is actually my preference.

And inside of EP they had the coolest way of moving people across the race course. I never really felt crowded in the after party and dont think I waited more than a couple minutes for anything.
This was exactly my experience too. Fine on the roadways, fine in DHS, and Boardwalk, a bit crowded entering into AK and on the path to Epcot from DHS. Otherwise, it was great!

I was on the first bus and had a great time at WWoS before the race. I was in Corral E (out of ouf 6 corrals) and by around the first 1/2 mile, I was not feeling crowded. I am a 12min mile runner, so YMMV.

I too am a night runner, and loved that aspect of this race. Can't wait for November!

First trip: Mar 90, Polynesian Most recent trips: Feb '14, Princess 1/2 - GF; Jan '14, Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon! - GCH; Nov '13, Wine & Dine 1/2Marathon - BWI! In-between: Grand Floridian, AKV-Kidani, Poly, WL, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Coronado Springs, Disneyland Hotel
Figment1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #641
DoctorK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygal041 View Post
53%

Well, that escalated quickly. I wonder if that means the race will sell out ahead of last year's pace?

DoctorK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #642
FloridaNative8
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorK View Post
Well, that escalated quickly. I wonder if that means the race will sell out ahead of last year's pace?

Haha, love that movie! I use that phrase whenever applicable, and this was perfect!

WDW - Too many visits to count!
AOA - Jan 2013 CBR - Nov 2013 POR - Jan 2014 POP - Feb 2014 YC - Jan 2015
Disney Fantasy - EC, March 2013
W&D Half - 2010, 2013
Donald Half - 2013
Minnie 10K - 2014
WDW Marathon - 2014
Glass Slipper Challenge - 2014
Goofy Challenge - 2015
FloridaNative8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:04 PM   #643
PlutoBaby
Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment1990 View Post
There was no pre-race party in 2012 or 2011. I signed up for it because well, I was in a little bit of euphoric state that morning and figured I'd just go all out!

This was exactly my experience too. Fine on the roadways, fine in DHS, and Boardwalk, a bit crowded entering into AK and on the path to Epcot from DHS. Otherwise, it was great!

I was on the first bus and had a great time at WWoS before the race. I was in Corral E (out of ouf 6 corrals) and by around the first 1/2 mile, I was not feeling crowded. I am a 12min mile runner, so YMMV.

I too am a night runner, and loved that aspect of this race. Can't wait for November!
Wow, what a difference 2 corrals make! The roads were fine but starting from the back, AK was a nightmare! I submitted at 62 minute 10k time, so I'm thinking that should move me up a little this year.

I love, love, love the night start, but it wouldn't hurt to get things going just a little bit earlier. Say maybe 9? Then the last ones are on the road by 9:30ish.

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
PlutoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #644
Figment1990
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoBaby View Post
Wow, what a difference 2 corrals make! The roads were fine but starting from the back, AK was a nightmare! I submitted at 62 minute 10k time, so I'm thinking that should move me up a little this year.

I love, love, love the night start, but it wouldn't hurt to get things going just a little bit earlier. Say maybe 9? Then the last ones are on the road by 9:30ish.
Perhaps I was distracted by my snarky stream-of-consciousness inner commentary at that point. It went something like, "Thank god we are finally in AK and off that tilted roadway-but wow it smells in here and not like runners-never was an Animal Kingdom fan anyhow - was there supposed to be a water stop somewhere in here?-where's everest?-oh look a bathroom - I think I'll go now and avoid the port-a-potties if possible-oh hmmm... garmin lost satelite connection in the bathroom-what does that mean?-oh look, I saw that guy before - oh THERE's Everest-aren't all these cast members so nice?-YIKES look at that crocodile statue -scared the bejeezus outta me! Thank goodness it's not real. Are there still people behind me???? I'm still on pace, right???!"

First trip: Mar 90, Polynesian Most recent trips: Feb '14, Princess 1/2 - GF; Jan '14, Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon! - GCH; Nov '13, Wine & Dine 1/2Marathon - BWI! In-between: Grand Floridian, AKV-Kidani, Poly, WL, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Coronado Springs, Disneyland Hotel
Figment1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #645
DoctorK
Mouseketeer

Silly question: Do they have Photopass Photographers at the characters along the way? Or is there a CM who can take pictures? Or do you just recruit other people standing in line to take a picture with your phone or camera?
DoctorK is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: