Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 06:50 AM   #1
helloirishkitty
DIS Veteran
 
helloirishkitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: WNY
Posts: 1,352

Which race for 2013?

Hi all!

I am in the midst of vacation bidding for 2013, and am unsure how my fall race schedule should look. I am doing Princess in February, and hopefully Disneyland in September so that I can get my coast-to-coast ( If i wait until 2014 and do Tinkerbell, do I still get the coast-to-coast?).

Besides those, I am torn between the ToT and Wine and Dine. ToT was my first run-disney race, and I had a lot of fun, and would like to keep doing it every year. However, I've heard wine and dine is a lot better, and I can't justify three disney related trips in less than 3 months.

Which would you do?
__________________
Disney 02.12.11 *WP/LSS/UK* New RunDisney Addict! DVC Owner at BLT
helloirishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #2
cewait
DIS Veteran
 
cewait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm
Posts: 5,691

C2C is a calendar year medal. So the 2014 Tink would require a 2014 WDW event. Sorry...

With regard to the ToT and W&D it really depends on what your goals are. For me personally, I do not travel for anything less than a half (possibly a 10 miler) . If you are comfortable with the half, the WD is a nice and unique course. Like most DIsney events, it tends to have a couple crowd issues but the mouse does a lot to entertain you along the course. The tour through the Studios is the longest run through that park of all races. You get the full effect of the Osborne lights as you run down NY Street. You may want to try the WD and then in 2014 decide between the ToT and WD.
__________________
_________________
Coach Charles
Perfectly Goofy 2006-2014
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #3
Rupert B Puppenstein
DIS Veteran
 
Rupert B Puppenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,537

Hands down the Wine & Dine. With all the changes this year, including the date so you ran through Christmas in Animal Kingdom, DHS and to an extent, Epcot, it was so much better than it used to be. Definitely a lot better than the Tower of Terror 10 miler. I will never do TOT again. What a waste of money and time. I can't even donate the medal.
__________________
Rupert B Puppenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
helloirishkitty
DIS Veteran
 
helloirishkitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: WNY
Posts: 1,352

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
C2C is a calendar year medal. So the 2014 Tink would require a 2014 WDW event. Sorry...

With regard to the ToT and W&D it really depends on what your goals are. For me personally, I do not travel for anything less than a half (possibly a 10 miler) . If you are comfortable with the half, the WD is a nice and unique course. Like most DIsney events, it tends to have a couple crowd issues but the mouse does a lot to entertain you along the course. The tour through the Studios is the longest run through that park of all races. You get the full effect of the Osborne lights as you run down NY Street. You may want to try the WD and then in 2014 decide between the ToT and WD.
Thank you for replying! Thanks for the caldender year info, then I will definitely be doing Disneyland in September. With all the negative ToT reviews from last year I may just decide to do W&D and then make my own decision in 2014.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert B Puppenstein View Post
Hands down the Wine & Dine. With all the changes this year, including the date so you ran through Christmas in Animal Kingdom, DHS and to an extent, Epcot, it was so much better than it used to be. Definitely a lot better than the Tower of Terror 10 miler. I will never do TOT again. What a waste of money and time. I can't even donate the medal.
I didn't even think about the Christmas stuff I didn't mind TOT, it was my first RunDisney race, so I guess the best is yet to come from them!
__________________
Disney 02.12.11 *WP/LSS/UK* New RunDisney Addict! DVC Owner at BLT
helloirishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:19 AM   #5
JCH
DIS Veteran
 
JCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Palm Beach County, FL
Posts: 801

I've been thinking about the same thing. I liked ToT and want to be able to be a legacy runner for an event, but WnD just looked awesome! I also liked ToT as far as the timing on my training calendar as it got me up to 10 right before all of the half marathons started here. It was like an awesome last training run before switching gears to a half each month. But...W&D had laser lights at the finish!!!

I am also hopeful that ToT will improve next year...there were a few miles there where I was just dragging. I honestly thought I was just too slow and they had already pulled the entertainment, but apparently there was nothing in that stretch. I'm still bitter about "saving" my character stop for the Red Queen, who I was SURE would be out there since I saw the cut out driving in, only to have it be just a cut out.
__________________
Jenn

Completed Races: Halloween 5k 2011 Family Fiesta 5k 2012 Princess HM 2012/3 ToT 10 Miler 2012/3 WDW Half 2013 Dumbo Double Dare 2013!
WDW 10k/Enchanted 10K 2014
JCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:21 AM   #6
Haas4Concern
Mouseketeer
 
Haas4Concern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 190

Give the TOT a couple years for disney to dial it in. I ran this W&D and loved it, but ive heard past ones didnt go so well. It seems disney takes a few years to work out the kinks for each race.
__________________
Steve
MyFitnessPal: Staaz
RunKeeper: Staaz

2007 WDW 1/2 Marathon, 2012 WDW Marathon Relay, 2012 Inaugural Canton 1/2 Marathon, 2012 Ohio 2 Warrior Dash, 2012 Air Force Half Marathon, 2012 Wine & Dine, 2013 Goofy Challenge,Dumbo Double Dare 2013,Dopey Challenge 2014
Haas4Concern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:32 AM   #7
cewait
DIS Veteran
 
cewait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm
Posts: 5,691

Though, talking on the other hand for just a second...

If one ran the ToT in the inaugural year, there is some merit to keeping a streak moving forward. Disney has a great way of rewarding runners who are perfect in finishing usually starting with the 10th anniversary. Though, this assumes that a 'B' level race is carried 10 years. To date, that has not happened.

Before throwing spears... I consider half mary's and the full to be 'A' levee and the shorter races to be 'B'. It's not about the runner's effort, it's about the distance with my grade on this.
__________________
_________________
Coach Charles
Perfectly Goofy 2006-2014
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:37 AM   #8
helloirishkitty
DIS Veteran
 
helloirishkitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: WNY
Posts: 1,352

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haas4Concern View Post
Give the TOT a couple years for disney to dial it in. I ran this W&D and loved it, but ive heard past ones didnt go so well. It seems disney takes a few years to work out the kinks for each race.
Oh I hope they do! I love the medal, and the race theming has such promise.
__________________
Disney 02.12.11 *WP/LSS/UK* New RunDisney Addict! DVC Owner at BLT
helloirishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #9
es45
DIS Veteran
 
es45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Morrisville, NC
Posts: 1,405

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
Though, talking on the other hand for just a second...

If one ran the ToT in the inaugural year, there is some merit to keeping a streak moving forward. Disney has a great way of rewarding runners who are perfect in finishing usually starting with the 10th anniversary. Though, this assumes that a 'B' level race is carried 10 years. To date, that has not happened.

Before throwing spears... I consider half mary's and the full to be 'A' levee and the shorter races to be 'B'. It's not about the runner's effort, it's about the distance with my grade on this.
How does Disney reward legacy runners? Still trying to decide if I'll commit to running ToT every year. I liked the timing but I didn't like the race. I could see me enjoying it provided that Disney makes some changes next year.
__________________
Elizabeth
es45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #10
Ariel484
DIS Veteran
 
Ariel484's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haas4Concern View Post
Give the TOT a couple years for disney to dial it in. I ran this W&D and loved it, but ive heard past ones didnt go so well. It seems disney takes a few years to work out the kinks for each race.
I was going to say this. If you look back at reviews for the inaugural W&D Half they are pretty awful, and it sounds like they have really improved that race. I'm expecting ToT reviews will be much better next year! In fact, someone that ran ToT told me she was sent a survey to fill out post-race...they really listen to runners' complaints, for the most part.

If I've learned nothing else from reading this and other boards, it's to skip inaugural Disney races and let them work the kinks out before I sign up, unless I want to do the legacy thing Coach Charles mentioned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by es45 View Post
How does Disney reward legacy runners? Still trying to decide if I'll commit to running ToT every year. I liked the timing but I didn't like the race. I could see me enjoying it provided that Disney makes some changes next year.
I know Perfect 19 (ran every marathon) and Perfectly Goofy runners get special lanyards for their medals...anything beyond that?? Maybe a special pin?
Ariel484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #11
Rupert B Puppenstein
DIS Veteran
 
Rupert B Puppenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,537

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCH View Post
I've been thinking about the same thing. I liked ToT and want to be able to be a legacy runner for an event, but WnD just looked awesome! I also liked ToT as far as the timing on my training calendar as it got me up to 10 right before all of the half marathons started here. It was like an awesome last training run before switching gears to a half each month. But...W&D had laser lights at the finish!!!

I am also hopeful that ToT will improve next year...there were a few miles there where I was just dragging. I honestly thought I was just too slow and they had already pulled the entertainment, but apparently there was nothing in that stretch. I'm still bitter about "saving" my character stop for the Red Queen, who I was SURE would be out there since I saw the cut out driving in, only to have it be just a cut out.
TOT was like the Wine & Dine used to be. Not a lot on the course, the entertainment was few and far between, and so it was more a typical race than a Disney one. I am sure they will add more to TOT, but I still don't think it will change as significantly as Wine & Dine did with the date change. Ultimately, that made the race so much better. Sure, they added entertainment, but if they didn't, that race would still be better. I can't say the laser show at the end was the greatest part because for me, it was nice until you had to run into it, so it was kind of blinding. Granted, I did speed up to get away from it, so maybe they should keep that!

I have my legacy with the Tinkerbell, so I will just stick to that. I really do like that race.
__________________
Rupert B Puppenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #12
cewait
DIS Veteran
 
cewait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm
Posts: 5,691

Legacy Runners...

Marathon

Starting with the 10th
Recognized the Perfect 10 with a special meal, a spot in the MK parade and a couple other things. The big hook was a 10-12" tall running Mickey Statue.

With 15 - the Perfect 15 received their original bib, for as long as their streak continues. They also started receiving the special lanyard.

With 20, there are a few surprises. The ones I think I can share are a special dinner and parade. Obviously, the mouse has more in surprise for these folks and we all know the mouse is fairly good at keeping secrets. Note there are about 90 perfect 20 candidates.

Half

Well, seems like there are no runners to complete all 10 races. The 2007, tenth anniversary actually slipped past the Mouse, also. No special 10th medal. There are only the 5th and 15th special medals

Goofy

Starting with 5 (10 races) the Perfectly Goofy received a special lanyard, and a bunch of pre-race swag. Post race, we received a Mayor McCheese sash. Ik, it's an orange sash with Perfectly Goofy written on it. There were 189 in 2010.

The current count is in the 160 range. I would expect WDWDM to have a little better celebration for 2015 and the Perfectly Goofy folks.
__________________
_________________
Coach Charles
Perfectly Goofy 2006-2014
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.