Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
Mac4life30
DIS Veteran

Do guys run the Half Princess?

Just wondering if any guys plan to run this 1/2 Marathon.
Mac4life30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac4life30
It's a small percentage of men, but there are definitely men! My husband is doing it this year.

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-13-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
SAHDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac4life30 View Post
Guys can run the half princess, but they cannot start in the front corral, and they do not track guys for age awards or anything like that. (Guys get a finishing time, AFAIK, but there are no guy awards.) I think there is a mens option for the shirt, however.

Actually - I think that there are more women registered than men for the marathon in 2013 - pretty soon, the question might be if guys run any of the runDisney events.

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.
SAHDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:33 AM   #4
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

There are some who do, but only the lucky ones who can find a running princess dress in their size.

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:20 AM   #5
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Guys run and SAHdad is correct on his information.
I love it when guys run as princes not princesses. In fact the first year, my daughters and I were creeped out after we saw a cute snow white, full makeup, but as it got light we realized it was a guy. But you do see many cross dressers.

joan4mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:26 AM   #6
Rupert B Puppenstein
DIS Veteran

I love when guys run the race - especially those that take the experience as an opportunity to support those around them and dress up. It isn't like some women's races that I have participated in where men are just about attacked for being there. Instead, every guy is welcome. But, if winning a race or being in the first couple of corrals is important to you, I would suggest not participating. Guys cannot win the race, but they can get awards, and they must start in Corral C or further back. A lot gripe, but they seem to be okay with it crossing the finish line.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #7
ludari
DIS Veteran

I've run the Princess Half the last two years and had a blast, so yes guys can run this race.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half
ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:57 AM   #8
Mac4life30
DIS Veteran

So a guy can run just in the back corals. Thas fine but would I get a finisher medal?
Mac4life30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:00 AM   #9
ludari
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac4life30 View Post
So a guy can run just in the back corals. Thas fine but would I get a finisher medal?
As long as you finish yes you will get a finishers medal.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half
ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:19 AM   #10
helloirishkitty
DIS Veteran

My best friend's husband is running it with us this year! Hopefully he waers a tutu
Old 11-14-2012, 08:25 AM   #11
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludari View Post
As long as you finish yes you will get a finishers medal.
Hmmmm, seems like as long as one starts you get the medal.

Regardless, yes there are more guys out there than one would expect. You are relegated to wave 2 or higher but it really is not a dude race. If a couple things happen at work, I may find myself able to run this and other WDW events as a local. Hopefully, that did not just jinx the karma ... it's still a high hurdle for this to happen as I am a little over compensated for the position as they had it approved.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:25 AM   #12
JCH
DIS Veteran

Yes, you can run in C or later, get a medal, and even a men's size t-shirt.

If you are going to run it, just be sure to have some sense of humor and realize that the goal of the race is not to exclude men, but rather to promote a healthy lifestyle among women. If you come in being supportive, you will be welcomed. However, I think we've all seen the one or two guys who come onto the facebook group the day after complaining about they weren't allowed the win who make all the other guys look bad. These guys are just missing the point. Just don't take it too seriously, and have a good time!

I love the guys who dress up. There are guys who dress like princesses, princes, frogs, etc. Many have t-shirts made up with some joke about trying to find a princess.

Completed Races: Halloween 5k 2011 Family Fiesta 5k 2012 Princess HM 2012 ToT 10 Miler 2012 WDW Half 2013 Princess HM 2013
JCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #13
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
Hmmmm, seems like as long as one starts you get the medal. ...[snip]...

Anyhoo, to the OP...as others have said, guys are more than welcome at the Princess Half. Start thinking about your favorite princess, as you'll need to indicate your choice for your race bib! Unlike in past years, as others have said, they do have unisex race shirts available (despite the fact that they don't have women's cut shirts available for other races......but I digress).

I ran the Princess Half with my brother in 2011 (he had a Belle race bib). I think the ratio of women to men was 30:1 or something. The bro never felt uncomfortable or unwelcome, and he wasn't trying to, like, win the race or anything, so not starting in the first corral wasn't an issue.
Ariel484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #14
SAHDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCH View Post
Yes, you can run in C or later, get a medal, and even a men's size t-shirt.

If you are going to run it, just be sure to have some sense of humor and realize that the goal of the race is not to exclude men, but rather to promote a healthy lifestyle among women. If you come in being supportive, you will be welcomed. However, I think we've all seen the one or two guys who come onto the facebook group the day after complaining about they weren't allowed the win who make all the other guys look bad. These guys are just missing the point. Just don't take it too seriously, and have a good time!
I'll confess that the C corral bugs me a bit. I think C is about a 2:15 or 2:30 half - which means that it is something like 2 minutes/mile slower than my normal pace. And for a guy, I am not fast. That's a lot of dodging and weaving to do just in order to run at my normal pace, not race it. (I think they should have had gender-graded performance levels - A corral for women needs a 2:00 finish, but for men to get there, it is a 1:40 or 1:30.)

Anecdotally, I have heard that, the faster a guy runs the race, the less welcoming the crowd and other runners get. (I wonder how much of it is a gender-reversal of the whole "getting chicked" dynamic?)

Lastly - I rarely hear much complaints about the Princess. It seemed to me that it was the Tink that really drew the ire - that Disney decided to do another women-centric race, but the clues, while they alluded to it, did not state at the outset that the race would be women-centered. (Well, plus the realization that a men-centric race would probably call down the wrath of Kathrine Switzer and a whole host of women's groups.)

We're on verge of heading seriously off-topic here. To veer back, yes, guys can run in the Princess and Tink. They can't start in the front, and there are no age-group awards for the men, but they do get finisher's medals. Anecdotally, the women accept the presence of men on the course, but YMMV.

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.
SAHDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #15
DisneyDanielle85
Mouseketeer

My husband is running it this year with me. I am trying to convince him to dress up.

~Danielle~
~A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes~ ~Princess Belle!~ "I only hope we don't forget one thing- It was all started by a mouse" - Walt Disney
DisneyDanielle85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: