Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2014, 04:26 PM   #1
emmamc252
Mouseketeer

Disney pins ebay advice

Anyone into pin trading tell me, the people on ebay selling. 25 or 50 pins. " no duplicates" but guaranteeing they are real and can be traded in the parks, they have all positive feedback etc but are they some sort of con?
I'm looking at getting them for my 2 kids so they have some to trade when we go in October, they've been too young previosuly. Was thinking I'd get tem a lanyard starter set once we get there and these which would give them plenty to trade /keep the ones they like etc. But don't want to if they are bogus. If it wasn't for the positive feedback a I'd dismiss it but just wondering if anyone can educate me.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:30 PM   #2
airboat48
Earning My Ears

i bought a 50 pack for my grandson and he has traded them for the last 2 years he kept about 20 of them and the rest for trade. most were cast trader pins that they buy and hidden mickeys
airboat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-25-2014, 04:41 PM   #3
pad406
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmamc252 View Post
Anyone into pin trading tell me, the people on ebay selling. 25 or 50 pins. " no duplicates" but guaranteeing they are real and can be traded in the parks, they have all positive feedback etc but are they some sort of con?
I'm looking at getting them for my 2 kids so they have some to trade when we go in October, they've been too young previosuly. Was thinking I'd get tem a lanyard starter set once we get there and these which would give them plenty to trade /keep the ones they like etc. But don't want to if they are bogus. If it wasn't for the positive feedback a I'd dismiss it but just wondering if anyone can educate me.
I bought on ebay for the last trip. Like you was a bit skeptical but it was all good. Kids traded them no problem. But I did choose a US seller and one with very positive feedback. Was a bit dearer than the ones from elsewhere but I just felt a bit more confident with them
Old 05-25-2014, 06:07 PM   #4
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

Generally speaking if sellers are selling bundles of 25/50 cheaply on ebay they are all scrappers regardless of positive or negative feedback. The problem with feedback on ebay is most of the buyers don't know about scrappers so don't know the difference so think all the pins are great when they get them. It's only really the collectors that notice the difference I think. In the park they will take them anyway obviously it's better not to buy from these people though but being a pin collector myself I've got a box full of scrapper pins that i've got in parks off cast member lanyards from trading.

I'm not a strict collector though because it doesn't bother me as much as some. I see I like I keep is the way I roll
petals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:54 AM   #5
Liane622
Earning My Ears

There's a great article on ebay about disney scrapper pins. I can;t link to it because I've written less than 10 posts and the forum wont let me but if you search for it, it's written by the seller chip_and_dale!
Liane622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:49 AM   #6
pad406
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liane622 View Post
There's a great article on ebay about disney scrapper pins. I can;t link to it because I've written less than 10 posts and the forum wont let me but if you search for it, it's written by the seller chip_and_dale!
Thanks, that is a good article, here's the link for others

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Hidden-Truth...1077083/g.html
Old 05-29-2014, 07:59 AM   #7
petals

this thread might help. It lists the good and bad sellers on ebay Clickie
Old 06-18-2014, 02:26 PM   #8
MissSophieCH
Earning My Ears

It may sound daft, but I'd never even heard of "scrapper" pins! So this thread and the linked article has been really informative!

I'm only a "casual" collector, but it's definitely helped make me more aware!
MissSophieCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:58 AM   #9
familymcwilliams
Earning My Ears

I didn't realise either, new to the hobby. Great to have a list :-)
familymcwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:12 PM   #10
pookadoo77
Mouseketeer

love the list! Thanks!

Me, DH, Mom, DS 10, DS 9, DS 3

(Upcoming) Disney World Summer 2015, Universal Studios Orlando 2013, Universal Studios Orlando 2011, Disney World 2010,
Disney World 2007,Universal Studios Orlando 1996, Disney World 1992, Disney World 1989 (performer), Sea World Orlando 1988 (performer),Disney World 1987 (performer), Disney World 1982
pookadoo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:52 PM   #11
petals

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSophieCH View Post
It may sound daft, but I'd never even heard of "scrapper" pins! So this thread and the linked article has been really informative!

I'm only a "casual" collector, but it's definitely helped make me more aware!
I'm only a casual collector as well so for me the "scrappers" don't matter. About half my collection is scrappers I'd say but I don't mind because I like the pins.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:45 AM   #12
Disney Frenhines
Mouseketeer

Please, please don't buy them, they are fakes and stuff ripping Disney off, you are ripping off the genuine pin traders like myself who used to love trading with CMs and other guests, they take these fake pins and swap them for genuine ones then the fakes get into the system as Disney can't or won't do anything about them and then I and others who have paid full $$$ for mystery pins and have doubles could end up with a fake which isn't fair. I am whole heartedly sick of people going around the parks with ziploc and carrier bags full of pins and fishing these rip offs out and trading for a really nice pin. I can't stop you from buying from Ebay and Ebay refuse to do anything about them despite big statements about not selling fake items, but, can I appeal to your better nature and by the way, counterfeit goods can be used to fund Terrorism (fact) so please do not buy any fake items as you don't know where that money is going.

A good rule of thumb is any large volume sellers from Hong Kong or China is selling scrappers.

Disney Frenhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:22 AM   #13
MarknStitch
Earning My Ears

Oh, I've only just started collecting Stitch pins and I was completely unaware of scrappers so cheers for the heads up! I've only really bought from the parks so far and a couple from eBay which came from high level sellers.
MarknStitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM   #14
LoodlesNoodles
DIS Veteran

I bought a whole bunch of pins the other week from a really good seller, they had loads and a good selection for not too expensive. Postage was reasonable to the UK too, but this seller had pictures of the front of the pin and the back and a link to the pin's pinpics page too, to help making sure it's legit. I stay away from the bundles though. They're bound to be nothing but scrappers.

I bought a pin from another seller the other week, reported it as a seller and they had the cheek to tell me to send it back if I wanted a refund! It was a US seller and not only would the postage have made it 100% not worth it, they probably would have tried to sell it again!
LoodlesNoodles is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: