Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #3256
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK

You're not ignorant at all, most Americans are confused as well and I've had to help explain it to many friends.

Our sequestration is a package of automatic spending cuts that’s part of the Budget Control Act (BCA) of 2011, which was passed in August 2011. The White House, with the help of Jack Lew (the Budget Director) proposed the idea back in 2011, (Mr. Lew has been nominated to be our next Treasury Secretary), and congressional leaders ultimately agreed to the BCA.

The cuts, which are projected to total $1.2 trillion, are scheduled to begin Friday and end in 2021. Yes, they last 9 years, which most don't realize. The cuts are evenly split between our defense spending — with spending on wars exempt — and discretionary domestic spending, which exempts most spending on (non-discretionary) entitlements like Social Security and Medicaid, which Linda and Sheila asked about yesterday. The total cuts for 2013 will be around $109 billion, give or take. This is a minuscule forced 2% spending cut.

Under the BCA, the cuts were triggered to take effect beginning 2 JAN if the supercommittee didn’t agree to a $1.2 trillion deficit-reduction package by NOV 2011. The group failed to reach a deal, so the sequester was triggered. During the election, the President said that the sequester wouldn't take effect, but in fact, it's law, and unless he issues an Executive Order, it must take effect.

The sequester can be avoided, but only if our Congress passes another budget deal that would achieve at least $1.2 trillion in deficit reduction. The political obstacles are basically the same as during the supercommittee negotiations that failed: Republicans don’t want to raise taxes, while Democrats are reluctant to make dramatic changes to entitlement programs to achieve savings.

So there you have it, oh, and we are still under a Continuing Resolution (CR) which funds our government because the Senate hasn't passed a budget since the Bush Administration (2009). The current CR will expire in the end of March. My DH is a retired military officer so he'll still receive his pension, but he's a current federal employee with our Department of Defense and is therefore subject to a one day a week furlough for 22 weeks starting in April. What happens the next 9 years, who knows. DH is actually looking forward to the prospect of being forced to stay home an extra day
Thank you for that. I didn't really understand what was going on. Since I don't have to drive to classes, I haven't been listening to talk radio and I only watch tv shows on line.

Y'all have a good morning. I'm gonna take a nap. Then when I get up, I need to decide if I want to drop the class I signed up for this next session and take two in one session. I just hate going on vacation, even a 4 day one, with school work to do. If I don't change it, I would have to bring my laptop with us.

Other than that, I just wish my tax return would get here!! We got the first text from H&R Block on the 15th & the 2nd on the 18th saying our return was excepted and we would get our refund with in 21 days. I need to get our WDW trip paid off and our San Antonio one booked.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
Old 02-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #3257
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by letthewookiewin View Post
Thank you for that. I didn't really understand what was going on. Since I don't have to drive to classes, I haven't been listening to talk radio and I only watch tv shows on line.

Y'all have a good morning. I'm gonna take a nap. Then when I get up, I need to decide if I want to drop the class I signed up for this next session and take two in one session. I just hate going on vacation, even a 4 day one, with school work to do. If I don't change it, I would have to bring my laptop with us.

Other than that, I just wish my tax return would get here!! We got the first text from H&R Block on the 15th & the 2nd on the 18th saying our return was excepted and we would get our refund with in 21 days. I need to get our WDW trip paid off and our San Antonio one booked.
Wookie: Have a good day, hope your taxes arrive soon. I have done mine but not DH's yet, and I am expecting a $350 refund. Better than having to pay that is for sure. I too would not want to do school work on vacation.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #3258
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post

Kook: You summed it all up quite nicely for me, and I have to say my head is spinning! But wow.... what a lot for the average person to understand. I hope you all aren't affected too harshly by all this.
You probably feel like this now, but there is a lot of confusion and misconceptions about this whole process here in the states.

We are very lucky that we have a good military pension and DH has a wonderful DoD position, but I still look at everything pragmatically and my sensible side tells me that I need to reconsider spring break. I would love to know how many others are also reconsidering their expenditures based on looming sequestration. The WDTC may be in for more cancelations than changes soon.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #3259
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
We are very lucky that we have a good military pension and DH has a wonderful DoD position, but I still look at everything pragmatically and my sensible side tells me that I need to reconsider spring break. I would love to know how many others are also reconsidering their expenditures based on looming sequestration. The WDTC may be in for more cancelations than changes soon.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #3260
babyberger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK

I hope MIL comes through for you and DH. If that doesn't work out, there's always Melissa's MIL
I'm in the middle of a cooking and baking spree, but almost died when I read this!!! LMAO!!!

Jeanette - MIL is in NY, just sayin' LOL!!! She can bring her oxygen and scooter while she smokes her unfiltered cigarettes and watches your kids Did I mention she is only in her late 50's.....YIKES!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

My Trip Reports:
Special Needs, Special Diets...No Problem (hopefully)!
A Year Is Way Too Long To Wait! We Just Keep Booking Trips!
Walt Disney World with Some Tasty New Finds

Follow Me at Blogger, Twitter, Pinterest
Old 02-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #3261
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyberger View Post
I'm in the middle of a cooking and baking spree, but almost died when I read this!!! LMAO!!!

Jeanette - MIL is in NY, just sayin' LOL!!! She can bring her oxygen and scooter while she smokes her unfiltered cigarettes and watches your kids Did I mention she is only in her late 50's.....YIKES!!!

Old 02-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #3262
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Sign me up!!!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Old 02-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #3263
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You probably feel like this now, but there is a lot of confusion and misconceptions about this whole process here in the states.

Hi Kook,
This situation is so annoying, no doubt about it. It will affect us, as well. Latest word, if it last that long, 20% paycut and furloughs starting at the end of April for my husband's organization. (Update as of yesterday.)
Just to add, besides working on the budget, they do have other a few other options, kick the whole thing down the road 6 months or a year, or just change the rules using new legislation and eliminate this artificial man made disaster.
I wish they would just work together and not play chicken, but it seems like they haven't figured out most of us don't find their game at all funny.

About Disney--We just made our WDW reservations, and are keeping them for now.
I truly think that once the budget cuts cause widespread air travel misery (and I feel pretty sure they will) that will be a big motivator for fixing the problem quickly.
I don't see this thing going much beyond the first few weeks in April, if that long. But, I could be wrong, who knows?

In the meantime, it is so frustrating that good, hardworking people are now forced to spend a good deal of time mulling over work arounds, contingency and priority plans rather than giving their real jobs 100% of their attention.

Last edited by gwynne; 02-26-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:53 AM   #3264
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wow! You have a lot of possible changes coming up and they sound really promising. I hope that everything works out just the way you hope.

It's funny you mention the gov't knowing what will happen. DH had a Town Hall meeting yesterday regarding sequestration at his agency and almost every single employee's question was left unanswered! It just made everyone angrier and DH already hates those TH meetings on a good day.

I hope MIL comes through for you and DH. If that doesn't work out, there's always Melissa's MIL
I totally missed this until I saw Melissa's reply.

Yep, my hospital is the same..no one knows anything and the next day people are fired

Quote:

Wow sounds like my mother...my mother even taught my son (when he was 3) to light candles off the stove burner..he watched her light her cigarettes that way! FANTASTIC Luckily HRH and DS12 are super responsible so yeah...that may work
Old 02-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #3265
Grumpy Grandma
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I am just left speechless .... haven't said much about all the in-law talk cuzz I'm hoping this year DS marries his long time girlfriend (funny term since they are both in their 30s) and that will make me the dreaded mother-in-law but wow just wow!!!! Then I started thinking .... a lot of these people are younger than I am but they seem SO OLD!! Not just old but also uncaring and unloving .... gives me reason to stop and think .... I never want to become THAT person.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #3266
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Grandma View Post
I am just left speechless .... haven't said much about all the in-law talk cuzz I'm hoping this year DS marries his long time girlfriend (funny term since they are both in their 30s) and that will make me the dreaded mother-in-law but wow just wow!!!! Then I started thinking .... a lot of these people are younger than I am but they seem SO OLD!! Not just old but also uncaring and unloving .... gives me reason to stop and think .... I never want to become THAT person.
Aww...not you Linda! I only know you through here but you seem so caring and loving! Any daughter in law will be lucky to have you I am sure.

It is sad when we have inlaws who are unloving and uncaring (that is what mine are). Those who ignore their grandchildren and own son, it is hard to comprehend it.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #3267
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:

Literally LOL and almost spit banana out at my Apple screen. The picture you paint, along with the tattoos of various constructs that I've added, and that "Christmas" card make for a blog in itself. BTW, your blog's intro is very touching and from the heart and I can't wait to read more. You are off to a very fine start, Melissa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynne View Post
Hi Kook,
This situation is so annoying, no doubt about it. It will affect us, as well. Latest word, if it last that long, 20% paycut and furloughs starting at the end of April for my husband's organization. (Update as of yesterday.)
Just to add, besides working on the budget, they do have other a few other options, kick the whole thing down the road 6 months or a year, or just change the rules using new legislation and eliminate this artificial man made disaster.
I wish they would just work together and not play chicken, but it seems like they haven't figured out most of us don't find their game at all funny.

About Disney--We just made our WDW reservations, and are keeping them for now.
I truly think that once the budget cuts cause widespread air travel misery (and I feel pretty sure they will) that will be a big motivator for fixing the problem quickly.
I don't see this thing going much beyond the first few weeks in April, if that long. But, I could be wrong, who knows?

In the meantime, it is so frustrating that good, hardworking people are now forced to spend a good deal of time mulling over work arounds, contingency and priority plans rather than giving their real jobs 100% of their attention.
Yep, DH was told the same thing, and that 'mission essential' employees who are exempt will be determined at a later date and we'll contact each employee later, blah, blah, blah. Not sure what 'later' means considering this all starts Friday and furloughs start in a month. I wouldn't want to be working HR matters now.

I'm so glad you made your reservations. They might cancel out my possible cancelation. I'd love to hear about your trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas130 View Post
I totally missed this until I saw Melissa's reply.

Yep, my hospital is the same..no one knows anything and the next day people are fired

Wow sounds like my mother...my mother even taught my son (when he was 3) to light candles off the stove burner..he watched her light her cigarettes that way! FANTASTIC Luckily HRH and DS12 are super responsible so yeah...that may work
Match made in.....hell? Imagine the two of them together

I can't believe your hospital can function like that. Everyone must be bitter and constantly on edge. UGH.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #3268
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Grandma View Post
That would NEVER be you Mama....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
Aww...not you Linda! I only know you through here but you seem so caring and loving! Any daughter in law will be lucky to have you I am sure.

It is sad when we have inlaws who are unloving and uncaring (that is what mine are). Those who ignore their grandchildren and own son, it is hard to comprehend it.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #3269
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Literally LOL and almost spit banana out at my Apple screen. The picture you paint, along with the tattoos of various constructs that I've added, and that "Christmas" card make for a blog in itself. BTW, your blog's intro is very touching and from the heart and I can't wait to read more. You are off to a very fine start, Melissa.
Where's is Melissa's Blog? That's what I get for working...always miss stuff

Quote:
Match made in.....hell? Imagine the two of them together
And I am sure they could get together and compare notes on what great parents they were....

I can't believe your hospital can function like that. Everyone must be bitter and constantly on edge. UGH.
That is EXACTLY the morale in the hospital! We look forward to a takeover..it CAN'T get worse
Old 02-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #3270
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Just an FYI, there must be some email virus going around as I have gotten three emails from familiar people that only have links in them. I have NOT opened the links, but deleted the emails. I phoned and asked my brother if he sent one of them and he did not, yet it came through as from him. Just be careful when opening your emails just in case.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: