Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #301
mxfourlife262
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchTater
While I love Starbucks I love Main St. even more. The idea of Main St. is turn of the century Americana. It would be like putting a Best Buy in the place of Floyd's Barber Shop in Mayberry. A Starbucks will instantly take me right out of the magic. If they want to have Starbucks products inside great no problem but keep the theming the same and keep it Main St. Bakery. What's next A McDonald's in the place of Casey Jones? Please!
How about a McDonalds by Pecos Bills...
__________________
ME33 DW32 DD3 DSNewborn

Last edited by mxfourlife262; 11-10-2012 at 10:11 PM.
mxfourlife262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:05 PM   #302
WedgieSock
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,610

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbalyna View Post
If the sign is similar to that i wouldn't mind, im just worried the big green neon sign will appear main street and ruin the themeing
Disney can be called out on some things but not themeing and I don't believe for one minute they would allow anything to disrupt the overall look of Main St - that would cause a disturbance in the Force
WedgieSock is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-10-2012, 10:23 PM   #303
WedgieSock
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,610

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchTater View Post
While I love Starbucks I love Main St. even more. The idea of Main St. is turn of the century Americana. It would be like putting a Best Buy in the place of Floyd's Barber Shop in Mayberry. A Starbucks will instantly take me right out of the magic. If they want to have Starbucks products inside great no problem but keep the theming the same and keep it Main St. Bakery. What's next A McDonald's in the place of Casey Jones? Please!

It seems there are two different chains of thought on this - you sit in the camp that envisions Main St bakery completely gone and a new-build takes it place with a huge light-up Starbucks sign, with SB Baristas with crazy died hair and their fair share of piercings dressed in black with a fake "Welcome to Starbucks" greeting. All Disney pastries will be replaced with Starbucks generic Coffee crumb cake et el.

I sit in the camp that envisions from the outside, Main Street Bakery really won't look much different other than a tasteful Starbucks sign that fits the themeing and maybe some different window dressings. Inside it will be updated to accomodate the necessary equipment and modernised but with a historical style. The SB Baristas will be dressed in Main Street 'historical costumes'. The familiar pastries will still be there along with the SB pastries.

Added bonus, somewhere will finally be serving coffee instead of recycled dirty dishwasher water
WedgieSock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #304
t_daniels
They'll NEVER be replaced
Does it make all the boy mooses go BWAH!?
 
t_daniels's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: OK
Posts: 3,835

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgieSock



Added bonus, somewhere will finally be serving coffee instead of recycled dirty dishwasher water
But, what everyone seems to be ignoring, is WDW DOES serve decent coffee. That is NOT nescafe.

Joffreys.com has SEVERAL carts throughout the World. Real espresso and coffee.
t_daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #305
WedgieSock
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,610

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_daniels View Post
But, what everyone seems to be ignoring, is WDW DOES serve decent coffee. That is NOT nescafe.

Joffreys.com has SEVERAL carts throughout the World. Real espresso and coffee.
Well, they are not well placed in my opinion so not always convenient to grab a coffee, also I prefer to sit and drink a coffee. Plus, I found their stronger coffee bitter so I wasn't a fan.

I like strong coffee which is hard to get in mainstream coffee outlets - I've found my best bet is a macchiato with an extra shot of espresso for a strong smooth taste which I can get from SB. Yep, I'm the one who hauls her own coffee maker & supplies where ever I go, even Disney
WedgieSock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:05 PM   #306
t_daniels
They'll NEVER be replaced
Does it make all the boy mooses go BWAH!?
 
t_daniels's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: OK
Posts: 3,835

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgieSock

Well, they are not well placed in my opinion so not always convenient to grab a coffee, also I prefer to sit and drink a coffee. Plus, I found their stronger coffee bitter so I wasn't a fan.

I like strong coffee which is hard to get in mainstream coffee outlets - I've found my best bet is a macchiato with an extra shot of espresso for a strong smooth taste which I can get from SB. Yep, I'm the one who hauls her own coffee maker & supplies where ever I go, even Disney
Are we talking authentic Italian espresso machs? Or the Starbucks caramel version?
t_daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:07 PM   #307
WILDERNESS FAN 55
CANNOT GET ENOUGH
 
WILDERNESS FAN 55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn Friends of Pooh View Post
I really hate to burst your bubbles, but a petition will do absolutely nothing to change Disney's mind. At this point construction plans have already been drawn up and contracts have been signed. Unfortunately it's a done deal.

While I'm sad to hear they are replacing MSB, you have to remember that WDW is a business and a Starbucks is very profitable for them - especially when they've been hearing so many complaints about the terrible Nescafe coffee for years.


I saw the error of my ways (and post) and did repost a" please be calm" message to all! SB is not a Turn of the Century company like Kodak-CocaCola-Carnation and some of the others so it doesn't really fit, but I have faith they will make it fit seemlessly.And frankly if Disney doesn't change with the times they will be in trouble financially. If that happens we'll have more to worry about than cinnamon rolls !
__________________
We're not the only people on this Island and we all know it!

Off site 72-76-76-77-78(MM 50th b-day) 79-81-82-85-86 FW-84-86-88-90-90-91-92-95-96
Poly 87 GF 88 CR 90 CBR 91-06-10
Disney Inn 93 ASM 95-96-02 CS 98
POFQ 97 DIXIE Landing 00 POR 07-08 WL-11
DL-Honeymoon-77 03 OKW -13 BLT-13 BWV-13
Trips planned 2015 WDW 2016 Aulani 2017 WDW XMAS
WILDERNESS FAN 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #308
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran
 
Disney_Princess83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,326

I'm definitely in Camp #2! Given that they did a complete refurb of the exterior earlier this year, I'm personally think that the outside will change very little. It will probably still be called Main St Bakery, with the addition of a Starbucks sign (very small and one that blends in, not the huge green neon sign people are having hysteria over!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgieSock View Post
It seems there are two different chains of thought on this - you sit in the camp that envisions Main St bakery completely gone and a new-build takes it place with a huge light-up Starbucks sign, with SB Baristas with crazy died hair and their fair share of piercings dressed in black with a fake "Welcome to Starbucks" greeting. All Disney pastries will be replaced with Starbucks generic Coffee crumb cake et el.

I sit in the camp that envisions from the outside, Main Street Bakery really won't look much different other than a tasteful Starbucks sign that fits the themeing and maybe some different window dressings. Inside it will be updated to accomodate the necessary equipment and modernised but with a historical style. The SB Baristas will be dressed in Main Street 'historical costumes'. The familiar pastries will still be there along with the SB pastries.

Added bonus, somewhere will finally be serving coffee instead of recycled dirty dishwasher water
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_daniels View Post
But, what everyone seems to be ignoring, is WDW DOES serve decent coffee. That is NOT nescafe.

Joffreys.com has SEVERAL carts throughout the World. Real espresso and coffee.
Joffreys have very few carts and with the exception of AK, the locations are not that convenient. Certainly not in the mornings. The majority of coffee served at WDW is Nescafe and it is most definitely the coffee that Main St Bakery has served.
__________________

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:17 PM   #309
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran
 
Disney_Princess83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,326

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchTater View Post
While I love Starbucks I love Main St. even more. The idea of Main St. is turn of the century Americana. It would be like putting a Best Buy in the place of Floyd's Barber Shop in Mayberry. A Starbucks will instantly take me right out of the magic. If they want to have Starbucks products inside great no problem but keep the theming the same and keep it Main St. Bakery. What's next A McDonald's in the place of Casey Jones? Please!
No, this isn't going to happen. More then likely it will stay Main St Bakery (Disney has said in it's statement that it will close for refurb, not that it will actually close. I'm fairly sure Fountain View at EPCOT will close as the statement said it will close, nothing about a refurb for the EPCOT location.) I can't see any bigger different then the Coca Cola signs that Casey's have everywhere, even if their light fixtures! Starbucks is a coffee brand and if you look at the DCA location, you will see the amazing job they have done at theming. We aren't talking about a Starbucks you see in NY or Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy76 View Post
For those who haven't seen the name on the DCA location:



The rest of the signage refers to the actual name of the eatery: Fiddler Fifer and Practical Cafe.

For the Starbucks fans... feast your eyes:

I'm am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited to finally be able to have a Coffee Frapp while watching the parade. Or a Peppermint Latte while watching the Christmas Parade......
__________________

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:19 PM   #310
WedgieSock
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,610

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_daniels View Post
Are we talking authentic Italian espresso machs? Or the Starbucks caramel version?
I get the starbucks caramel version but get them to leave the caramel sauce out of the bottom and add 1 or 2 shots of espresso, I work with what I got The only good coffee is either at my house, or in a good restaurant, rarely on the street and that includes Joffrey's imo.
WedgieSock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:24 PM   #311
CarolAnnC
Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syringes From PI
Likes to shoot off her glock in chat
Goin' to the Chapel
 
CarolAnnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 13,532

We should all be happy they are not making it a cigar/smoke shop. After all, Walt would have loved that and it was definitely circa 1900 early Americana...

Yay for Starbucks!
__________________
CarolAnnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:25 PM   #312
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran
 
Disney_Princess83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,326



Perhaps this sign should be used instead of the regular SB sign Maybe people would be feeling more comfortable with Starbucks coming into the parks then....

I love the brown sign that the DCA location has though, it really blends in very well to the area.

I think until we start to see this:



Or even worse..... THIS:



People should relax......
__________________

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:25 PM   #313
mxfourlife262
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_daniels View Post
Are we talking authentic Italian espresso machs? Or the Starbucks caramel version?
Adding "authentic Italian" in front of it doesn't make it any better......look at Fiat.

The bottom line here is, Starbucks coffee is far better than whatever you can get at Disney right now. It will be well received by the majority, embrace it or go to Italy for some authentic coffee.

Comparing Starbucks to bad coffee is like comparing Shula's steak to Outback steak, is it better? yes, by far, but that doesn't make Outback steak bad.
__________________
ME33 DW32 DD3 DSNewborn
mxfourlife262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:28 PM   #314
t_daniels
They'll NEVER be replaced
Does it make all the boy mooses go BWAH!?
 
t_daniels's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: OK
Posts: 3,835

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxfourlife262

Adding "authentic Italian" in front of it doesn't make it any better......look at Fiat.

The bottom line here is, Starbucks coffee is far better than whatever you can get at Disney right now. It will be well received by the majority, embrace it or go to Italy for some authentic coffee.

Comparing Starbucks to bad coffee is like comparing Shula's steak to Outback steak, is it better? yes, by far, but that doesn't make Outback steak bad.
...
They're literally two different drinks.

An espresso macchiato is a shot or two of espresso, marked by a tiny amount of cream. Served in a tiny cup.


A latte macchiato, which is what the Starbucks caramel macchiato is, is mostly milk, marked with a small amount of espresso.

I was simply asking which the other poster ordered, rather than assuming.

Edited to fix my mistake!

Last edited by t_daniels; 11-10-2012 at 11:34 PM.
t_daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #315
WedgieSock
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,610

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_daniels View Post
...
They're literally two different drinks.

An espresso macchiato is a shot or two of espresso, marked by a tiny amount of cream. Served in a tiny cup.


A latte macchiato, which is what the Starbucks caramel macchiato is, is mostly milk, marked with a small amount of espresso.

I was simply asking which you ordered, rather than assuming.
I think you got us mixed up ^^^ you was asking me, I did answer ... somewhere amongst this madness
WedgieSock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: