DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #16
ColinA
DIS Veteran

Give me Boardwalk Villas rather than GFV any day!
ColinA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #17
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
Is anyone considering selling their existing contract(s) for the new Grand Floridian Villas?

I guess I'd have to wait until the pricing for GFV comes out, but we bought BWV sight unseen and although we LOVE the location, the rooms are just too outdated for us.

I'm considering selling our BWV contracts and buying 1 smaller contract at GFV. My husband thinks I'm nuts (we bought BWV 2 years ago resale, before the cruise rule change).

Am I nuts?
It's a personal decision of course, just realize the costs and losses associated. GFV will be somewhere around $160 a point give or take with price increases and specials. BWV will net likely less than $50 a point when sold. You may be better off just doing an add on at GF unless you want to decrease your number of points significantly anyway.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-09-2012, 10:49 PM   #18
ELMC
DIS Veteran

What I'm interested to see is what VGF will do to point rental prices. With the dramatic predicted purchase price, I would think that VGF owners would want a higher price per point for renting out VGF points during the 11 month window. This could lead to a possible inflation of point rental prices across the board if it contributes to the change in the thinking of what constitutes a fair price for point rentals.

No matter how much I would like to stay there, I will not be buying VGF direct. If it tracks anywhere near the same as BLT, I predict that it would be very difficult to recoup a significant portion of the purchase price should I need to sell (unless I bought during the initial offering). No exit strategy makes it too risky a play for me. But this thread does bring up a good point and I think there is something that we have been largely ignoring when it comes to the direct vs. resale debate. There is a segment of the population for which cost is not a factor. If you make a substantial income and you want the ability to book VGF 11 months out, it might make sense to buy. For people who fit into this category, cost is not a major consideration. But if cost is at all an issue, buying VGF direct does not seem prudent at this time.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:52 PM   #19
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

People with substantial income, don't bother with DVC unless they really love the resort(s). People in that bracket are staying Club Level at the Deluxe Resorts and getting better service and Club Level amenities.

Some will be buying at Golden Oak. We were thinking about it but decided that we didn't want to give up our BWV ownership.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #20
AJA
DIS Veteran

We own at BCV and there seems to always be demand for our resort so I "think" we're in an ok position to either rent our points and stay at GFV with cash or rent points there within a couple years of it's opening.

Epcot is our favorite park and being within walking distance of the world showcase restaurants is a big plus for us, even though GF is a jewel of a resort we still prefer BCV's location for our touring needs. While we wont sell and rebuy to stay there, we'll be happy to trade out points with a GFV owner sometime in the future.
AJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:08 AM   #21
DisDad07
Mouseketeer

No selling here! If I can't get in at 7 months, I will still be Happy just to be at WDW!

We have stayed @........

Old Key West DVC, 2011, 2012,
Animal Kingdom Jambo House DVC - 2008,2009,2012, 2013
Beach Club DVC - 2010
Animal Kingdom Kidani Village DVC - 2010
Saratoga Springs - DVC 2008,2009,2011
Port Orleans Riverside - 2005,2006
Disney's Caribbean -1992,1994
Bay Lake Towers - 2011
DisDad07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #22
robinb
DIS Veteran

We sold our OKW to buy at AKV and we are now perfectly happy the way we are. I will absolutely stay there once it opens!
Old 11-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #23
jennypenny
Raising 3 disneyholics like any proper parent!

I don't think we'll sell our BCV to buy, because I want priority booking for F&W and races, but if not for that I would consider it. I guess it depends on your age. You'll get an extra 25 years with GFV at their flagship resort. It has a much better gym, monorail access, and great restaurants.

I wake up dreaming of the Beach Club...
jennypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #24
Figment2101
Earning My Ears

Love my BWV and would never consider selling my points there. GFV has no appeal to me. What another person chooses to do is their business.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #25
crisi
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't buy now at current prices. So I wouldn't sell and rebuy at current prices.

Our kids are getting older and will be heading to high school next year, then college. My husband and I prefer hotels, DVC is nice when we want the kids sleeping in a different room. That will be moot shortly. I'm not taking adult children on vacation with us. Once they are in college, their vacations are their business, not ours.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #26
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Is anyone considering selling their existing contract(s) for the new Grand Floridian Villas?

Am I nuts?

NO, not interested in GFV. But we DID sell our original OKW to re-buy at BCV. So it is the same idea. I still LOVE OKW, and recently stayed there for the first time in quite awhile. But our kids were becoming teens, and they LOVED the location at BCV. It just worked for us. Never regretted it.

If I could swing it, I would "trade up" and sell BCV and buy at VGC now. But I doubt I will ever DO that, DH and I are now in our 50s, kids are grown, etc.
PatMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:02 AM   #27
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

OP here. All of these responses are so interesting. It's nice to see the difference of opinion.

Since I don't love BWV, I "mind" when I have to pay dues. Compared to our SSR & AKV contracts, I don't really mind when I pay those dues.

Also, we ARE looking to decrease our points so the BWV would the first to go anyway. Although we bought BWV for F&W, I find it much more point-frugal to use our AKV points for the value rooms. I feel ambivalent about BWV, but would really enjoy GFV.

Of course the "buy in" cost is always an issue....it just seems that selling off BWV would "offset" it.

We're going on the June 2013 Disney Magic next year. We'll definitely be attending the DVC presentation to see what "extra" cruise incentives there are to buy.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:52 AM   #28
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
OP here. All of these responses are so interesting. It's nice to see the difference of opinion.

Since I don't love BWV, I "mind" when I have to pay dues. Compared to our SSR & AKV contracts, I don't really mind when I pay those dues.

Also, we ARE looking to decrease our points so the BWV would the first to go anyway. Although we bought BWV for F&W, I find it much more point-frugal to use our AKV points for the value rooms. I feel ambivalent about BWV, but would really enjoy GFV.

Of course the "buy in" cost is always an issue....it just seems that selling off BWV would "offset" it.

We're going on the June 2013 Disney Magic next year. We'll definitely be attending the DVC presentation to see what "extra" cruise incentives there are to buy.
Just keep your BWV points and use those at GF, AKV and the like. With planning and the use of the wait list, you should be able to get in at times. GF will be more points, likely around BLT but some think even higher. if you look at it that way and still have too many points, you may indeed want to sell but I wouldn't suggest selling then buying another resort.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:42 AM   #29
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Just keep your BWV points and use those at GF, AKV and the like. With planning and the use of the wait list, you should be able to get in at times. GF will be more points, likely around BLT but some think even higher. if you look at it that way and still have too many points, you may indeed want to sell but I wouldn't suggest selling then buying another resort.
Another option is to rent your BWV points - you should be able to get $11-$13 per point for 11 month F&W reservations. Then if you need the 11 month window to stay at GFV, use the BWV rental proceeds to rent GFV points. A bit of work, but more cost effective than selling and buying direct.

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #30
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108

Selling your BWV points would likely only "offset" the GFV purchase by about a third. Have you thought about renting them out instead of selling?
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: