Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 12:03 AM   #46
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

How fun! DD and I did MVMCP when we went on a girls trip and loved the parade. And it snows on Main Street!
Old 11-25-2012, 05:39 PM   #47
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
First off, yay for the spontaneous trip! Sounds like you're going to pack tons of fun into two days! Franklin's industry has a conference that is typically held in Orlando every few years and I'm just waiting for it to swing through again (gotta love APs). Are you guys buying the PAP for next year?

Back to the trip at hand, your morning at AK is kinda our typical AK experience. Ride the few big rides we like. Eat, drink. Try to get excited about all the animals. Eat, drink. Head out. I wish I liked the park more, I really do. I love the theming and how unique the park looks and feels. But there just isn't enough to do!
We're not renewing our APs... mine expires early May (right after our spring trip). We're planning on taking a non-WDW trip in the fall, and who knows what we'll do in 2014!

The hard thing about AK is that so much depends on what the animals feel like doing. I have spent huge chunks of time watching the gorillas when they are feeling playful and being hilarious. But when they're sleeping it kinda hard to just sit and stare at them very long!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelley00 View Post
How fun! DD and I did MVMCP when we went on a girls trip and loved the parade. And it snows on Main Street!
I am so excited for MVMCP!! Just two weeks!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #48
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

After waiting for a rather long time, our bus finally turned up and we headed back to the Boardwalk. We took a little break in the room before getting ready to head out for dinner. We decided to walk over to DHS, and it wasn't too bad of a hike. I wouldn't want to make this trek when it's super hot out, but on this particular day the weather was pretty nice as long as we stayed in the shade.

We got to DHS with a little time to spare before our 6:00pm ADR at Mama Melrose to grab Fastpasses for Rock N' Roller Coaster. Then we headed over to a brand-new to all of us restaurant, stopping on the way to get a few beers at the Tune In Lounge adjacent to 50s Prime Time Cafe. Jen and Eric had never been in this building and both left wanting to try out the restaurant sometime in the future. We took our drinks with us to Mama Melrose and checked in.
We were still a little early, so we got a pager and I sat down to wait. Jen and Eric had been wanting to get a picture for their Christmas cards, and I suggested they head over to the snowman set up near the restaurant. Ben went with them to play photographer.
They were gone quite a while and just when I started to wonder if they were ever coming back, the three of them turned up. Apparently, when they tried to pose with the snowman, people passing by noticed their interest and all decided they needed pictures, too. One woman even spent a few minutes video taping the (stationary) snowman as her family walked away from her. After waiting for the crowd of people to get their pictures, Jen and Eric were finally able to get theirs taken.

Not long after they got back to Mama Melrose's, our pager went off and we were seated. There was one drink on the menu that we all knew we absolutely had to order: Italian Surfers (Parrot Bay Coconut Rum, Amaretto, and Pineapple and Cranberry Juice). At some point in the past few years, Ben and I started making these during parties at our house. We were excited to be able to order them here!

Funny story- last year, Ben and I were out with friends at a bar in the North End section of Boston. This is the 'Little Italy' part of the city known for its amazing Italian restaurants (and delicious cannoli!) and is mainly populated by Italian-Americans. Anyway, after ordering Italian Surfers (the first time these friends of ours had tried the drink), with our waiter at the table collecting our empty glasses, Ben asks: “So how do you like our Italian server?” Nicole and I both got shocked looks on our faces and didn't know what to say. Once the waiter (who was Italian) had moved off, I hissed at Ben that I couldn't believe he had just said that! He was confused... turns out, Ben was asking how we liked the Italian SURFERS, as in the drinks.

Back to the WDW trip:
Both Jen and I ordered the Penne alla Vodka and it was really good! I don't remember what the boys ordered, but I am fairly certain they liked whatever they got. I absolutely remember Eric pouting because we said no to a dessert menu (the rest of us were stuffed) so I grabbed the waiter's attention and asked for one. But then Eric didn't want to order anything, anyway.
I am really glad we tried Mama Melrose's; the food and service were great and I loved the atmosphere. I'll definitely return here.

After dinner, Muppet Vision 3D was beckoning to us, so we popped in to enjoy the show. It was great, as always!

That's a random picture of our feet, while we were waiting to go into the Muppet pre-show. We had just missed a show, so we got to see the entire pre-show- a first for me!

After, we took a trip on Star Tours which was fun but left us all feeling a little queasy.

Next, we used our Fastpasses for RnRC, and wanted to ride ToT. The Studios had evening EMH this night, and as we walked down Sunset Boulevard, we were engulfed in a ginormous crowd of people leaving Fantasmic!, mixed with a ginormous crowd of people lined up for the next show. It was completely overwhelming! None of us have any desire to watch that show and could not fathom waiting in that sort of crowd. It took us a while to get past all of that craziness, and the stand-by line for ToT was insane by that point, so we grabbed Fastpasses which would be could in a couple of hours. With time to kill and no real idea how to spend it, we kinda just wondered around. I suggested that we check out the Animation Academy (Jen and Eric had never heard of it), and we headed that way. As we got near Voyage of the Little Mermaid, we noticed that a show was starting in just a couple of minutes and we walked right into the theater. As we sat down, the three of them asked me what the attraction was and I straight-faced told them it was just clips of the movie shown in a themed theater. They all believed me. It helped that the show does start this way- I had them going for a while. The low expectations they had from the beginning meant everyone really enjoyed the show. Glad we tried it!

When we got to the Animation Academy building, we had a good chunk of time before the next drawing class started. As we waited, Jen and I started hysterically laughing while watching some other people around us. I don't remember what was so funny, but I do remember crying because we were laughing so hard.
Once we got in to the class, we spent forever deciding what to draw. The instructor kept asking who had drawn certain characters before and a couple of obnoxious ladies in the front raised their hands for every single one. It was ridiculous. Somehow, we finally settled on drawing Eeyore.

Mine:

Ben's:

Once we were done in there, off we headed to use our ToT Fastpasses. This is everyone's favorite ride and we were excited!

I love how Jen and I are holding our Eeyore drawings, so it looks like we have diplomas or something!

By now we were all more than exhausted and needed to head back to the Boardwalk to crash. We took the Friendship launch back, getting off at the Swan&Dolphin stop because that ended up being closer to our room near the very end of the Boardwalk Villas.

As a bonus, here is a picture of Jen from this day:

I have no idea where this was taken, but it was definitely in DHS somewhere during this day.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #49
BennyFedora
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyciemc View Post

When we got to the Animation Academy building, we had a good chunk of time before the next drawing class started. As we waited, Jen and I started hysterically laughing while watching some other people around us. I don't remember what was so funny, but I do remember crying because we were laughing so hard.
I think it was two things...

1) There was a guy and a girl (probably both late teens) that we couldn't figure out if they were siblings or dating. They would awkwardly fight and also awkwardly hug and seemed to be with their parents (or one of their parents) and a younger sibling. Depending on the relation, it was either weird or gross.

2) Also, we were all sitting on a bench and you three were talking. I was singing to myself along with the Disney music over the speakers. Then I thought I heard Eric say (referring to me), "Is she singing?". Turned out that wasn't at all what he said, but hilarity ensued and a bunch of times later in the trip you three referred to me as "she" in front of me, mockingly..."Is she going to sit at our table?"

Quote:
As a bonus, here is a picture of Jen from this day:

I have no idea where this was taken, but it was definitely in DHS somewhere during this day.
It was in the outside area of the queue for the Animation Academy...just when you come in from near Little Mermaid, where they have posters of Disney movies on the walls.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #50
BennyFedora
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyFedora View Post
It was in the outside area of the queue for the Animation Academy...just when you come in from near Little Mermaid, where they have posters of Disney movies on the walls.
Haha, nope, I was wrong, it was in line for Star Wars.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:04 PM   #51
MEK
DIS Veteran

I have never been to the Tune In Lounge, but its on my bucket list.

That Italian server....I mean surfer sounds quite yummy!

Eeyore is my favorite. You are so lucky you got to draw him. I got Captain P the last time was there. Captain P? Really? Please.......

Yeah for RnR and ToT while holding your diplomas!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 11-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #52
Isthatyoutiger
DVC Member SSR Jan 2007

I'm a little late to the party

Can't wait to read your TR

I better get started

August 1998 Offsite -August 2000 Wilderness Lodge - December 2001 CBR - June 2003 AKL - December 2004 WL - January 2007 WL (20 yr Anniversary) - Joined DVC SSR Jan 2007
-June 2007 SSR - June 2008 SSR - August 2009 SSR - August 2010 DVC AKL Kidani Village - November 2011 Family B-Day Celebration DVC AKL Jumbo House -
Upcoming Trip - August 2013 BCV & Vero Beach
Old 11-26-2012, 06:00 PM   #53
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

I love the Tune In Lounge, for some reason we didn't go there on this trip! Well, we walked in, saw that it was packed, and then left! We tried!

I really like Mama Melrose, it's not one of those must do places for every trip, but maybe every other trip! I've never heard of an Italian Surfer, but it sounds good!

Your Eeyore drawings are so cute!

Ugh I hate being over by ToT when Fantasmic is over! We always seemed to time ourselves so we're right on that street when it is getting out too, so this time, we tried to time it a little better, and it actually worked!

NEW December 2013 TR, In Progress!

My TR's/PTR's~2/13 TR~11/12 TR!~11/12 PTR!~5/12 TR!~5/12 PTR!~12/11 TR!~10/11 TR!~10/11 PTR!~11/10 TR!~11/10 PTR!~Disneymoon TR 5/10!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Old 11-27-2012, 08:22 AM   #54
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Quote:

Funny story- last year, Ben and I were out with friends at a bar in the North End section of Boston. This is the 'Little Italy' part of the city known for its amazing Italian restaurants (and delicious cannoli!) and is mainly populated by Italian-Americans. Anyway, after ordering Italian Surfers (the first time these friends of ours had tried the drink), with our waiter at the table collecting our empty glasses, Ben asks: “So how do you like our Italian server?” Nicole and I both got shocked looks on our faces and didn't know what to say. Once the waiter (who was Italian) had moved off, I hissed at Ben that I couldn't believe he had just said that! He was confused... turns out, Ben was asking how we liked the Italian SURFERS, as in the drinks.

Quote:

I love how Jen and I are holding our Eeyore drawings, so it looks like we have diplomas or something!
Too funny! Y'all must have been so proud of those Eeyore drawings you wanted to show them off in the ride photo. I wonder what the other people in the picture thought you were holding up?

Great update!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/"I Wanna See My Castle!" October 2013 TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge Adventures at 40"! May 2014 TR
Old 11-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #55
Imagineer5
DIS Veteran

Your day wrapped up so nicely! Glad MM was so great, we are trying it out in just 12 days! WOOT! Though, we got the F! package, hopefully to alleviate those crowds.

Love the animation academy!! I hate those obnoxious ppl that have to raise their hand at every character. Ugh!
Old 11-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #56
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyFedora View Post
Haha, nope, I was wrong, it was in line for Star Wars.
I'm still not convinced about that... I think you were right the first time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I have never been to the Tune In Lounge, but its on my bucket list.

That Italian server....I mean surfer sounds quite yummy!

Eeyore is my favorite. You are so lucky you got to draw him. I got Captain P the last time was there. Captain P? Really? Please.......

Yeah for RnR and ToT while holding your diplomas!
We love Tune-In Lounge- friendly servers, great atmosphere... and they serve the 50's Prime Time menu!

I'm glad we finally settled on Eeyore, after turning down a million characters. Jack Skellington was one of the options and I was bummed not to draw him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isthatyoutiger View Post
I'm a little late to the party

Can't wait to read your TR

I better get started
Welcome!!
Very glad to have you along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
I love the Tune In Lounge, for some reason we didn't go there on this trip! Well, we walked in, saw that it was packed, and then left! We tried!

I really like Mama Melrose, it's not one of those must do places for every trip, but maybe every other trip! I've never heard of an Italian Surfer, but it sounds good!

Your Eeyore drawings are so cute!

Ugh I hate being over by ToT when Fantasmic is over! We always seemed to time ourselves so we're right on that street when it is getting out too, so this time, we tried to time it a little better, and it actually worked!
Mama Melrose was a surprise hit- figured we'd tried it since we never had and we ended up really enjoying it!

I'm not often in DHS at night, so I forgot about Fantasmic! I've never seen it, never wanted to and never pay attention to what times it showing. I'll have to remember to be better informed next time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post

Too funny! Y'all must have been so proud of those Eeyore drawings you wanted to show them off in the ride photo. I wonder what the other people in the picture thought you were holding up?

Great update!
That's a great question- I wonder if anyone in that photo bought it... I can picture folks sitting around trying to puzzle out what could be in our hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagineer5 View Post
Your day wrapped up so nicely! Glad MM was so great, we are trying it out in just 12 days! WOOT! Though, we got the F! package, hopefully to alleviate those crowds.

Love the animation academy!! I hate those obnoxious ppl that have to raise their hand at every character. Ugh!
We got a little tired toward the end of the day, but it was nice to show Jen and Eric some new-to-them stuff. It was a very fun day!
Old 11-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #57
NMW
DIS Veteran

Subscribing
Old 11-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #58
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

I love the way you sold VOTLM on the crowd!!! Great technique!
Old 11-28-2012, 06:52 AM   #59
BennyFedora
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
I love the way you sold VOTLM on the crowd!!! Great technique!
The rest of us had never seen it and Joyce nailed it with a straight face when she just told us it was a film strip to the soundtrack. When it literally started that way, we were all "seriously? eh, at least we're sitting". She was quite proud of her deception

I thought it was pretty good though, especially the part where people in black suits danced puppets under black lights. Probably not a lot of re-ride value, but a good sit-break, for sure!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:21 PM   #60
Tracy161
DIS Veteran

Joining!!! Oh my gosh... New Englanders not liking Dunking' coffee?! That's almost unheard of! We always joke that there's one on every corner in Boston!

Love your new hairstyle!

Great updates, so happy you decided to do a TR

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: