Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #16
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

We did not sleep for long, but at least we managed to grab a quick rest. Everyone slowly got moving, and we managed to get dressed for dinner. As we left the room, we took the staircase right by our room instead of walking all the way down to the lobby. It seemed like walking around the back of the resort would be a little shorter. But this would start a long trend of us trying to get places quicker and continually be unsuccessful at it. We definitely took the scenic route.

We eventually got to the lobby, and made it back to the front of the Boardwalk. At least it is one of the best places ever to be going for a walk!

We had to take some pictures of the awesome sunset and view.

It took forever, but we finally found someone to take our picture. We had to keep stopping Ben from asking people that were completely wasted. Then he ended up asking a guy who was with a very frazzled wife dealing with their sons' meltdowns. The guy was a good sport, and we gave Ben a hard time on his choice after the fact. In other news, I decided to pose as awkwardly as possible here (somehow, Eric was able to pull of the same pose a little bit better)

We didn't have much time to spare, so we hightailed it to our destination: Mexico! I love the San Angel Inn and couldn't wait to eat there again.

We checked in, and after a short wait were shown to our table, right along the water near the pyramid. It was a great spot!

We didn't have to wait too long for our waiter to stop by with chips and to take our drink order. We also added an order of guacamole, and Abraham was off like a rocket before we could tell him we were ready to order.

Several hours (ok- that's an exaggeration) went by and someone brought us our drinks. Eventually Abraham came by and finally got our dinner order. A few years after that, he brought us our guacamole. Luckily, another runner came by with our entrees. We started to joke that Abraham must be working at another restaurant and had to run back and forth for all of his tables. He as a very nice guy, but the service was excruciating!

At any rate, the food was yummy! Jen and I both got the Carne Asada, Eric got Mole Poblano and Ben had Loma de Pue en Pipián (Pork tenderloin served over roasted vegetables and pumpkin, chiles and almond sauce). Everyone scarfed it down and after another long wait, we got the check and paid. It was our first time using the Tables in Wonderland card, and let me tell you- we fell in love with that puppy! With four adults (especially ones that drink), we made our money back in NO time.

Once done with dinner, we decided not to try to hang around for Illuminations. Instead, Jen had the brainwave to go make a stop at a place we had wanted to check out- the Crew's Cup Lounge at the Yacht Club. This place is really great- it is right next to the Yachtsman's Steakhouse, and actually has a pretty good menu (though we didn't eat anything- will have to come back sometime!). We each got some form of cocktail/beer and just enjoyed the atmosphere.

After our round of drinks, Eric couldn't stand staying away anymore and insisted we head to Jellyrolls. It didn't take much arm twisting, as well love that place. There was a line to get in, but we didn't have to wait too long. We managed to find a few seats on the upper level near the bar. We had a blast watching both the very talented piano players, but also the crowd... there were quite a few very interesting groups to keep an eye on- including a pair of newlyweds who seemed to be completely bored out of their minds but continued to sit there watching. There was also an insanely drunk girl who kept running across the stage, and an almost fight between her friend and a girl she tripped over.
After awhile, though, I realized that I was beyond exhausted and had to go to bed- this was one heck of a day!

Day 2 starts here!

Last edited by Joyciemc; 11-13-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #17
smile4stamps
DIS Veteran

Location: Still in CA for work but my home and heart is in Colorado!

I'm glad your food was good despite the slow service!

We also quickly made up the money up on our TIW card even with having to get the AP first... The only place I really wished we could use it for a discount was the Pool Bar lol. I probably would have saved quite a bit more that way!!

We never did make it to Jellyrolls... we almost went one night and then just decided to head back to CSR as the next morning was an early park day.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #18
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Hi! I'm here and all caught up! Going to Disney with friends is so much fun. We've got a trip planned for May with a couple of our friends (we're staying in a 1-bedroom at BLT for that trip).

Totally with you on the pure awesomeness of staying that close to Epcot. Especially during Food and Wine, it is to die for.

Why can't you take it easy on arrival day? That's easy... YOU'RE at Disney! None of is can take it easy on arrival day. I find it to be a personal miracle that we spent much of our first day at the pool in October (don't worry, we headed to Epcot that evening for F&W and a concert).

You guys had a great first day. A nice mix of food, rides and Disney fun.

Did you guys like Jellyrolls? We're thinking of spending an evening there in January when we're staying at BWV.

Can't wait to read more!
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV

Old 11-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #19
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile4stamps View Post
I'm glad your food was good despite the slow service!

We also quickly made up the money up on our TIW card even with having to get the AP first... The only place I really wished we could use it for a discount was the Pool Bar lol. I probably would have saved quite a bit more that way!!

We never did make it to Jellyrolls... we almost went one night and then just decided to head back to CSR as the next morning was an early park day.
I agree- pool bars should accept TIW! We spent plenty of money at them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
Hi! I'm here and all caught up! Going to Disney with friends is so much fun. We've got a trip planned for May with a couple of our friends (we're staying in a 1-bedroom at BLT for that trip).

Totally with you on the pure awesomeness of staying that close to Epcot. Especially during Food and Wine, it is to die for.

Why can't you take it easy on arrival day? That's easy... YOU'RE at Disney! None of is can take it easy on arrival day. I find it to be a personal miracle that we spent much of our first day at the pool in October (don't worry, we headed to Epcot that evening for F&W and a concert).

You guys had a great first day. A nice mix of food, rides and Disney fun.

Did you guys like Jellyrolls? We're thinking of spending an evening there in January when we're staying at BWV.

Can't wait to read more!
We love Jellyrolls! I think I enjoy it more on a non-weekend, since it's slightly less crowded then. But it is DEFINITELY worth a visit!
Old 11-12-2012, 05:47 AM   #20
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Joining in!!! Can't wait to hear more about your trip!!

Sounds like you had a great arrival day!!
Old 11-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #21
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

I have to say, love your dress in those pics!

That stinks about the super slow service, but at least the food was good. Bad service AND bad food is such a terrible combination!

I have read about Jellyrolls in a few other TRs and it sounds like so much fun, but we haven't made it over there yet. Maybe one day!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/"I Wanna See My Castle!" October 2013 TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge
Old 11-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #22
klacey1
DIS Veteran

What a fun day! Haha, traveling woes. I really can't imagine flying Southwest-- the boarding process seems too crazy! I would not deal well with smelly people who line up early lol.
I also found the F&W Festival overwhelming-- so many choices! I didn't get to half the booths I wanted to!
Ending the night at Jellyrolls is always perfect-- I also love all of your drunk-watching haha. People watching in WDW is definitely a favorite activity.

September 2013: PTR, TR, Dining Report
August 2011: PTR, TR, Dining Report
Old 11-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #23
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Joining in!!! Can't wait to hear more about your trip!!

Sounds like you had a great arrival day!!
We really did! It was so fun seeing WDW in a new way- with such good friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
I have to say, love your dress in those pics!

That stinks about the super slow service, but at least the food was good. Bad service AND bad food is such a terrible combination!

I have read about Jellyrolls in a few other TRs and it sounds like so much fun, but we haven't made it over there yet. Maybe one day!
Thank you very much! The one bad thing about the dress is that it actually has bells hanging from the strings. They get annoying

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
What a fun day! Haha, traveling woes. I really can't imagine flying Southwest-- the boarding process seems too crazy! I would not deal well with smelly people who line up early lol.
I also found the F&W Festival overwhelming-- so many choices! I didn't get to half the booths I wanted to!
Ending the night at Jellyrolls is always perfect-- I also love all of your drunk-watching haha. People watching in WDW is definitely a favorite activity.
I don't mind Southwest as long as I get Early Bird check in- before we started doing that it was so stressful to board! I do love their no baggage fees, though!
Old 11-13-2012, 06:32 PM   #24
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Day 2 was upon us, and we managed to get up when the alarm went off. All four of us were pretty tired, but we were in Disney World! So we began getting ready to head out. Breakfast consisted of the bagels and English muffins we had brought with us. Most people probably wouldn't be surprised to learn that it took kind of a while for four adults to get ready to leave in the morning. We tried our best and got out of the room as quick as we could.

We didn't have to wait too long for a bus, and Eric and I were super excited!

But not quite as excited as Jen, who found this sweet tiger mask:

It was on this trip that we realized bus service from the Epcot area resorts is kinda suck-o. There are just way too many stops at resorts that aren't even all that close together when you're driving between them. It takes forever to actually get to the park. Eventually, we made it to the Animal Kingdom.

Our first stop was to pick up some Fastpasses for the Safari, and the timing would work great with our lunch ADR at Tusker House. Once we had the FP, we headed to Everest and went for a spin with no wait at all. Actually, I think we may have ridden twice. So fun!!

We had time for a ride on Dinosaur (even though we had to wait about 20 minutes- I don't think I've ever waited for this ride... crowds were definitely higher on this trip than I'm used to) before heading back to Kilimanjaro Safari. There weren't too many animals out, but we managed to have a good time anyhow.

And we did see a baby white rhino! I love white rhinos

We took a quick walk through the Pagani Forest Trail before heading to our lunch ADR.

Tusker House is a favorite of Jen & Eric's and a first for Ben and me. When lunch became a character meal, I wasn't sure we'd want to eat here (since the prices went up a bit) but we figured it might be fun to meet some characters while eating a delicious buffet.

And it was delicious! Lots of really yummy, interesting things (though one highlight was the not-so-exotic mac & cheese) and we proceeded to pig out. We somehow started out on opposite schedules with visiting the buffet, so when Daisy stopped by it was just Ben and me and the table.

But after that visit, there was a lull in character visits so we got to eat lots before it was time to have some pictures taken (and Daisy even came around again, so we all got to see everyone!) I am so happy we decided to do this meal- it's the only character interaction we ended up doing on the whole trip and it was a lot of fun. And I am not ashamed to admit that I got choked up during the parade the characters do with the kids. In my defense, I think Jen did too.

And I cannot forgot to mention that Ben found his Holy Grail at Tusker House. There was a berry cobbler dessert we had eaten at Whispering Canyon Cafe during the Backstage Magic tour a couple of years ago. We even went back there on his birthday just so he could have this dessert. Only to find out it is not on the menu. This was a crushing thing for Ben... he never got over it. Until he found the cobbler in the dessert section of Tusker House!!!

Once we were done eating more food than should have been humanly possible, it was time to head back out into the wilderness.

Let me interupt myself for a moment...

Last edited by Joyciemc; 11-16-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #25
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Haha the bus service from the Epcot area really does take awhile!! Same goes for the Contemporary-Polynesian-Grand Floridian, the busses take that whole lap too!

Yay for the berry cobbler turning up at Tusker House! I've always wanted to go there, it looks like a fun restaurant!
Old 11-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #26
klacey1
DIS Veteran

Hmm, that does sound annoying about the Epcot buses. At least getting to Epcot and DHS is easy enough.
Sounds like you had a fun lunch! Aww, I am normally not easily choked up, but seeing happy kids at Disney (...or almost everything at Disney!) gets me going, too!

September 2013: PTR, TR, Dining Report
August 2011: PTR, TR, Dining Report
Old 11-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #28
blairzo
Earning My Ears

You guys look so much fun! Can I come to Disney with you guys next time!?!

Nov. '12: POP April '13 POR Nov. '13 ASMo May '14 POP
Old 11-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #29
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Haha the bus service from the Epcot area really does take awhile!! Same goes for the Contemporary-Polynesian-Grand Floridian, the busses take that whole lap too!

Yay for the berry cobbler turning up at Tusker House! I've always wanted to go there, it looks like a fun restaurant!
Yep- we learned about that other awful bus route later in the week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
Hmm, that does sound annoying about the Epcot buses. At least getting to Epcot and DHS is easy enough.
Sounds like you had a fun lunch! Aww, I am normally not easily choked up, but seeing happy kids at Disney (...or almost everything at Disney!) gets me going, too!
We tried to focus on DHS and Epcot for the first part of the trip, and saved MK for when we moved to Bay Lake Tower. But getting to AK was never going to be easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
Joining in !! Looking forward to reading more !!
Thanks for reading!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairzo View Post
You guys look so much fun! Can I come to Disney with you guys next time!?!
We couldn't help but have fun on this trip- it was great!
Totally join us next time- the more the merrier!
Old 11-15-2012, 06:47 AM   #30
Imagineer5
DIS Veteran

YAY So happy to see your TR! You have me cracking up - love it!!

Your group shot on the Boardwalk is hilarious

How'd you get that pic at Tusker House outside? Do they give them to you? We have an ADR there in December, and I wasn't sure - did you give them your camera?

I loooooove being able to walk to EPCOT and DHS. So awesome. We are booked for 3 nights next June at BCV and I CAN'T wait!! Glad you enjoyed it too. Love your first day, it's how we USED to travel!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: