Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 04:55 AM   #16
es45
DIS Veteran

Great reports, Kipp and Rick!

Kipp: Congrats on the PR; I can't wait to see what you do in January! Does your new PR allow you to move up in the corrals?

AFM: No running today. I'm up early researching Celiac disease. Claire, my DD9, was diagnosed through lab work, which indicated she is "strong positive" for Celiac. We are scheduling an intestinal biopsy for confirmation but the pediatrician is confident in her diagnosis. Claire had the test done at age 4 and it was negative; however, she continued a low gluten diet because she felt better eating that way. This summer she lost weight and at her annual exam, the doctor noted that she had not grown in a year. She also began suffering more abdominal and muscle pain. I'm relieved to have an answer for her symptoms but I'm also anxious to do all I can to help her ease into this new lifestyle of zero gluten.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #17
bunnyfoo
It's Monday and my mind was somewhere else
Never hopes to dream though

Hi everyone!

Elizabeth - My manager is having something similar going on with her daughter. She has a hard time eating anything and is constantly having stomach pains and is exhausted. She had a biopsy done last week so they're waiting for the results. I hope everything is ok with DD.

Kipp - Congrats on your PB!

Hung - How are you feeling after your 10 miler?

I tried to update the reservation for Kona with Disney but they said I can't add anymore people The best thing to do is to make a reservation at Kona for 3 people at the same date/time and we will combine the ADRs when we check in. That's what we had to do last year. I will send you a PM.

Lynn - What does being an election judge involve? Have fun on your cruise! Say hi to Scott

AFM - I'm just catching up from work that was missed while I was in DC. I had a lot of fun in DC and enjoyed the extra vacation day because Sandy shutdown the airports on Monday and Tuesday. I was staying with a friend so I didn't have to sleep in the airport or anything like that. I was able to get a flight out on Wednesday and everything was fine. I'm still working on a RR which I hope to have up shortly

I got to have lunch with Sue on Friday and got caught up with her and then I did a bootcamp on Saturday with Kim. It was lead by Tommy Europe who's a personal trainer from the show 'The Last 10 Pounds' It was a lot of fun - really kicked my butt! I didn't think much of it at the time but my core is still hurtin' LOL I went to the gym yesterday and did my usual workout and will try going for a quick 3 miler tonight.

I might be off the boards and FB for a few days. I had some bad news over the weekend. A good friend of mine passed away. Without going into too many details, he had been unhappy for a while but I didn't realize exactly how unhappy so his passing was unexpected. I'm going to the funeral on Thursday and just wanted some time to think about things.

I will catch up with everyone on this weekend!

May 2002 - Wyndham (DTD)/May 2003 - CBR & AKL/ Dec 2003 - AKL/ Oct 2004 - AKL & Polynesian/Oct 2007 - AKL CL & Polynesian/May 2008 - POFQ/Jan 2009 - Poly CL/Oct 2009 - BC & CSR/Jan 2010 - Poly CL/Jan 2011 - Poly CL/Jan 2012 - Pop Century

bunnyfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #18
RadioFanatic
Mouseketeer
SO not a jewelry gal
I would like to introduce dh and myself - Doofus and Sleezy Chuckledoodle

Hey guys! bet you thought I was long gone! congrats to vicky, rick and kipp for completing your races! great TR's rick and kipp and can't wait to read your's vicky.

I know it seemed like I disappeared, but I had a very good reason. In september, I had three trials, two out of town while still training for my marathon. the day before my marathon, 10/6, I was in teh ER from 2:30 am to 8:30 am with my dh and ds bc dh had excrutiating abdominal pain. they couldn't find anything so let him go with pain meds - just got the er bill and it was almost $4,000 for them to do really nothing - thank god for insurance. I also had a cold.

so sunday, 10/7, I went in to the marathon with barely any sleep, a cold and my asthma acting up bc it was cold. thankfully, the race is on a slight decline the whole way so no major hills. I was hoping to finish in under 5:30 bc that was supposedly when they cut the race off. The first ten miles were good, running a 10:30 pace with a couple of friends from massachusetts I made at the starting line. then my asthma started to get the best of me. at the halfway point, dh and ds met me with gatorade and love - my poor ds wanted to run with me which he did for a bit. I wasn't talkative at that point bc I was trying to control my breathing - dh said after that I didn't look good. finally after a few more miles I started feeling A LOT better and was looking forward to seeing dh and ds at mile 18 - but they weren't there - I got worried something happend when I saw them at mile 20 - poor ds told me he wanted to run with me until the end but I told him I had to drag myself there, I didn't think I could get him too! I felt bad bc he was crying but I told him I loved him and would see him soon. I actually felt pretty good and just kept running when I heard honking - dh and ds were waving to me from the highway as they drove to the finish line! at mile 23, I actually saw three women cheat - there was a big curve in teh pathway to the finish and instead of taking the curve, the just kept going straight. I don't know why people would want to do that - it just cheats themselves. I then saw dh and ds right before the finish line - I gave ds a high five but was intent on running fast bc I saw my time was 5:27 so I was worried I wouldn't make it before the race closed down (I later saw they were letting people well after me continue the race, including the last person who came in at 7 hours - I don't know why they made such a big deal about the time finishing in 5:30 - as Rick knows, it was really stressing me out!) so my official time was 5:27:11 which I was very happy with. My only regret was that I didn't let my DS run over teh finish line with me bc I was honestly afraid I wasnt' going to make it - I still think about it a lot and feel bad about it. I plan to rectify it at the disney marathon - I want him to cross it with me. One cute thing, my son always tells people that "My mama runs races, but she never wins." which cracks me up. well, he heard my name over teh intercom as I crossed teh finish line - bc of that, he is positive I won the marathon - and tells everyone he knows that I won the marathon - so sweet - but I did win - I won the fact I finished it - so I let him do it.

so I only got to enjoy the victory of completing my first marathon only about a day when i got the dreaded call - that my aunt/godmother was put in hospice and wasn't expected to last much longer. she lasted about four more days which I spent in hospice until she passed. i then had to have family in to stay with me for the wake and funeral, and I was honored to give her eulogy. it as a very sad time, but I can honestly say this is the first time I was happy a relative had passed - she was in excruciating pain for 8 months with kidney cancer and no one can believe she lasted that long. she was a great lady.

after that, I tried to start catching up on work bc I missed a bunch. only a few days later, I had to bring my husband back to the ER bc of teh excruciating stomach pain. they finally figured out he had a blocked common duct and diseased gall bladder. he had to stay in the hospital for five days and have two surgeries. I was trying to deal with him, my 4 year old son and work during that time, but I missed a lot of work. he is still recuperating and I'm trying to catch up on work since then. I even had to celebrate my 40th bday alone bc dh was in the hospital and ds with kind friends who took him in - honestly, it was very depressing and is something I still haven't celebrated. It bums me a little bc I think 40 is a big deal and was actually happy to turn 40 bc I'm happy where I am at this age and was happy I got my bucket list by completing my goal of a marathon before hitting 40. but life intercedes.

my running also took a nosedive bc of eveything. after the marathon, I literally only ran three times in october. I was planning on taking two weeks off to rest but then when i started the first time, things happend with dh and then when I tried again, more issues. i am back on track now, having run five times this month, 5 miles each. I have the 15k stockadeathon this sunday and will build my miles up from there to the january disney marathon. I am nervous I have lost my endurance bc of this unexpected break, but will try my best. also praying for no snow from now until then bc the idea of long runs on a treadmill just sounds awful! I ran 5 miles this morning in 28 degree weather - dang it was chilly! I wish there were more races around here to do to practice - I'm jealous of all of the half marathons rick gets to do!

so that's it in a VERY long nutshell and I look forward to being on here more often!

RadioFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:28 AM   #19
es45
DIS Veteran

Happy Wednesday, everyone,

Kimberly: I'm sorry you've been through so much recently. It is great that your DH is recovered. Don't feel guilty about not letting your son cross the finish line with you. You had his safety in mind and that is exactly how it should be. I'm sure he'll prefer crossing with Mickey anyway. Glad you are able to return to your training. I watch a movie on my phone if I have to do more than a few miles on the TM. It isn't ideal but it helps pass the time. The team will celebrate your birthday (and second marathon) in January!

Vicky: Glad you were able to make the best of DC during the storm. That race is on my bucket list. Do you run it every year?

AFM: I may be able to join everyone at the Kona breakfast after all. If my schedule works out, I'll make a separate reservation and hope that they can combine it with the team ADR. As for running, I've got six miles to do today. Amazing that last year I couldn't imagine a "short run" of six miles. It feels good! After my run, I'm headed to the NC zoo with my girls to see the baby gorillas that were born in September.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #20
bunnyfoo

Happy birthday Elizabeth!!

I hope you're having an awesome day today

May 2002 - Wyndham (DTD)/May 2003 - CBR & AKL/ Dec 2003 - AKL/ Oct 2004 - AKL & Polynesian/Oct 2007 - AKL CL & Polynesian/May 2008 - POFQ/Jan 2009 - Poly CL/Oct 2009 - BC & CSR/Jan 2010 - Poly CL/Jan 2011 - Poly CL/Jan 2012 - Pop Century

Old 11-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #21
RadioFanatic
Mouseketeer
SO not a jewelry gal

Happy happy birthday!

Old 11-08-2012, 04:41 AM   #22
es45
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the birthday wishes—on here and on Facebook! I had a great run followed by lots of walking at the zoo. The NC Zoo is tucked in the woods of Asheboro, NC with quite a few rolling hills. The last time I was there, I couldn't make it up one of those hills without stopping to rest. It felt fantastic at 44 to be able to keep up with my girls as they ran to the next exhibit. Deciding to take up running 2 years ago was the best birthday present I've ever given myself.

Wishing you all a great Thursday!
Old 11-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #23
LuzzBightyear
Mouseketeer

Hi all

Hope everyone is doing well, especially if you happened to be affected by Sandy.

Hard to believe we are only just about two months away from WDW Marathon weekend. Starting to get pretty pumped about getting down to the World, meeting some of you in person and enjoying the experience.

Unfortunately, not looking forward to the actual running part quite as much lately. I haven’t done as much training as I would have liked since my marathon. I have been dealing with Achilles and knee problems. The last few weeks, I had to abandon my Sunday long runs not even halfway through. After the last failed run (this past Sunday), I decided to take like five days off from any exercise, hopefully it will fix the issues. It is pretty frustrating even though I have pretty much decided that the marathon (at least) will be an easy jog between photo ops and as long as I stay ahead of the sweepers, I have no concern . Still have not decided how I am going to run the half. My brother in law is bugging me to shoot for 1:45, but since my training has been hampered AND the little fact I am running a full the next day, I can’t see me doing that. I saw what a nice gesture it was that Rick did for Kipp in pacing him to a PR, and if anyone has a time goal for the half, I can help pace you if you would like…but I suspect most of you, particularly Goofy runners, will be taking it easy too.

Have a good rest of week all,

Robbie

LuzzBightyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #24
bunnyfoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuzzBightyear View Post

Hi all

Hope everyone is doing well, especially if you happened to be affected by Sandy.

Hard to believe we are only just about two months away from WDW Marathon weekend. Starting to get pretty pumped about getting down to the World, meeting some of you in person and enjoying the experience.

Unfortunately, not looking forward to the actual running part quite as much lately. I haven’t done as much training as I would have liked since my marathon. I have been dealing with Achilles and knee problems. The last few weeks, I had to abandon my Sunday long runs not even halfway through. After the last failed run (this past Sunday), I decided to take like five days off from any exercise, hopefully it will fix the issues. It is pretty frustrating even though I have pretty much decided that the marathon (at least) will be an easy jog between photo ops and as long as I stay ahead of the sweepers, I have no concern . Still have not decided how I am going to run the half. My brother in law is bugging me to shoot for 1:45, but since my training has been hampered AND the little fact I am running a full the next day, I can’t see me doing that. I saw what a nice gesture it was that Rick did for Kipp in pacing him to a PR, and if anyone has a time goal for the half, I can help pace you if you would like…but I suspect most of you, particularly Goofy runners, will be taking it easy too.

Have a good rest of week all,

Robbie
I'll take you up to pace for a 2:00 half but not at Disney only because we're doing Goofy I know if I go for a fast half, I won't have anything left in the tank for the full.

Rest is just as important as running is in a traning program. Have you had your knee and achilles looked at by a doctor or physio? Massages help too

When I was feeling unmotivated a couple of weeks ago, a friend of mine had me go onto YouTube and watch training videos. Maybe try going out with a local running group or maybe running with music? I started doing that recently and found that it's a bit helpful

What does the rest of your training schedule look like from now until January?

Old 11-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #25
bunnyfoo

Happy birthday Mary!!

Have a fantastic day

Old 11-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #26
es45
DIS Veteran

Happy Monday, everyone!

Robbie: How are you feeling now that you've had some rest?

Mary: Hope you had a great birthday!

AFM: A family event is now conflicting with Disney so I may be heading to the January half solo. That will change my arrival/departure dates so I might join some of you at Kona instead of WCC. Vicky, I'll arrange a solo Kona reservation for Friday morning but know that there is a possibility that my 2 spots for WCC may open later this week. Not sure if someone could use the spots.

Last edited by es45; 11-12-2012 at 08:21 AM.
es45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #27
bunnyfoo

If you haven't already, can you like Rebecca's FB page She needs 25 likes and is only a few short. Please and thank-you!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rapun...37199516427470

Old 11-13-2012, 07:29 AM   #28
es45
DIS Veteran

Good morning, everyone,

I've got a 4 miles scheduled for the evening. I'm afraid it will be on the TM since the forecast is for rain and cold temps.

Re January: What is everyone's plans? Where are you staying, will you go to the parks on Saturday or Sunday?
Old 11-13-2012, 07:53 AM   #29
RadioFanatic
Mouseketeer
SO not a jewelry gal

Happy Birthday Mary!

Hey all - luzzbightyear, I totally get what you're saying - as you can see from my previous post, my training since the marathon has stunk bc life has gotten in the way and I'm honestly tired all the time and not into running. And, I had a 15k race this past sunday where it really showed. I was almost 8 minutes off my PR race time and felt lousy the entire run. And became even more bummed when I found out that a friend who I beat in the last 15k race actually lowered her time by 9 minutes while mine increased - I was happy for her but mad at myself.

so I just have to keep on trucking with the marathon training with a 15 mile run this weekend and up from there.

Hope all are well!

Old 11-14-2012, 07:13 AM   #30
es45
DIS Veteran

Good morning, everyone,

6 miles today. So hard to do during the holiday season, isn't it? My entire run I spent thinking about all I need to get done, at work and at home. I'm happy to have the WDW half to keep me moving.

Robbie and Kimberly: As long as you are physically able to get out there, do try to push through the training. Let the running be your therapy and you'll feel good for January.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: