Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 05:43 AM   #1
IMGONNABE40!
Okay, I already am 40, but if I were to change my name, how would you know it was me?
Proud owner of a six foot giraffe
Don't be a Doofus!

Garmin watches

I am in the market to replace my Garmin 405. I never used all of the features to download my runs to the computer, and don't see myself doing so in the future. So, I am thinking of downgrading.

The Forerunner 10 has an attractive price-$130, but a big drawback is that it doesn't have average pace! For 200 bucks I can get the 210 model with both average pace and a longer battery life-8 hrs training as opposed to 5 hrs on the Forerunner 10.

The 210 model lacks auto-pause which the 10 has, and I am used to... does anyone know if I can manually pause the 210 without having it reset when I want to restart?

So, it comes down to
1) 70 dollars
2) auto-pause vs. average pace
3) 8 hrs vs 5 hrs on battery life

A
Old 10-31-2012, 05:58 AM   #2
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

I have the 10, so I can't speak about the other one.

As far as battery life, do you often train longer than 5 hrs at a time? I wear mine all the time as a watch and haven't had the battery go down at all- and I don't charge it every day. So far my longest training was almost 2 hrs, and it still showed a full battery when I was finished.

The auto pause is really nice for a frequent pee-er like myself. LOL

And the size even more than the price is what attracted me to the 10. I have small wrists and didn't want a bigger than normal sports watch. This one is the same size as my polar heart monitor I used to wear as a watch.

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
longhorns2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2012, 06:33 AM   #3
IMGONNABE40!
Okay, I already am 40, but if I were to change my name, how would you know it was me?
Don't be a Doofus!

Thank you for that. I do have events that last longer than 5 hrs.

While I hope to improve, my marathon PR was 4:59:53! So, real close to the 5 hour mark. In addition to half marathons, I plan to do one marathon a year. And, there is a 107 mile walk I do each year and we are out longer than 5 hrs.

So, I think I am leaning towards the 210, I am just curious whether I can manually pause it without resetting the workout.

Oh, and yes, I should give the 10 props for style! Not only smaller but I can get a pink one!
Old 10-31-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
geaux_half
Recovering 5 Moon Half Fanatic #137

I've run with Garmin 205, 305 and 405 models. After less than 6 months of use, the bezel on my 405 froze so I had to send it back to Garmin for a refurbished replacement. While it was away, I ordered a Timex Marathon GPS watch. I now use both the 405 and TImex.

The Timex is a much more basic (and cheaper priced unit) but has all of the features that I use in a watch. It gives me time, distance and current smoothed pace while running. Once you complete and save a workout, you can get average pace as well.

And if color is important, it does come in pink!

geaux_half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:17 AM   #5
rocio
DIS Veteran

I just got my husband the forerunner 10 for his birthday and while it doesn't give him an average pace at each lap (it gives you the pace for the lap/mile), it does give you average pace at the end of the workout and when you download it.
rocio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
steph0808
Mouseketeer

I have the 110 and love it! It does do average pace per mile, though doesn't give instantaneous pace. The battery lasts for a long time (I charge mine like once every two weeks) and I got it on sale from Amazon for $150.
5k PR - 25:52
10k PR - 56:31
Half Marathon PR - 1:58:59
Marathon PR - 6:42:53
steph0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:07 AM   #7
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

I have the 210 and I believe that you can pause it without having to reset. Garmin has good customer service so I would email them before taking my word for it because I am not the best Garmin operator. One thing I don't like about the 210 is that the intervals can only be done in 10 second or minute increments. Also you can only do 99 intervals and have to reset again. It's not something this is easy to do on the fly. I end up using my Garmin to keep track of my pace and my Galloway timer for my intervals and my iPhone for music. I seem to be gathering more electronics than getting rid of them. If I had it to do again I would get another model. Good luck with your decision!
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
Reep
Mouseketeer

Maybe consider the Nike sportwatch? I have had the Garmin 310XT, which was a great watch, but a bit too bulky (although lighter than the 405) for racing. I bought the Nike as a race watch and really like it. It does not have autostop, but there is a big button on the side that's easy to hit (remembering to start again is the trick).

I like the Nike watch. I race with it. It is much lighter an more compact and has the features I need (instant pace, distance, time, auto-lap) with a nice big display.

Also, the Nike watch comes with a shoe pod (fits inside Nike and some Adidas midsoles, or can attach to the top of a shoe) that lets you measure of satelite or pod (if GPS isn't available), which is nice. You can start your run on the pod and then the GPS will kick in when it gets signal. The pod measured my 6.0 mile route at 5.9 miles, which is pretty good without GPS.
Reep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
Qltrgrl2
DIS Veteran

I have the Garmin 210 and am not very saavy with tech things. That being said, I do start and stop the watch without any problems during a run if needed. I am quite happy with my watch and it is about 1 and 1/2 years old.
Qltrgrl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:51 PM   #10
IMGONNABE40!
Don't be a Doofus!

Thank you for your responses. I think I will go with the 210. If I was willing to spend the money on the 610 I would have all of these features and many more!
Old 11-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #11
hollieplus2
Tags always make people happy
I kept saying chewable
My toes might appreciate some alone time

I researched watches for awhile and ended up buying the Garmin 10. I'm a new runner and knew I didn't need all the bells & whistles. All I really wanted was time, distance, intervals and pace. I won't wear a heart rate monitor and I don't want a computer sitting on my wrist. I hadn't bought anything because nothing at the time was small & simple enough until I saw the 10. I jumped on it and you'll have to pry this baby out of my cold, dead hands. I LOVE the pink and the size and it does everything I needed. The only function I wanted that it doesn't do is the vibration alerts for intervals but you have to get the 610 if you want that and it's pricey. Just wanted to let you know or anyone else know that I'm super duper happy with the Garmin 10.

July 2006---Pop, ASMovies, Animal Kingdom
September/October 2007---POFQ
December 2009---WDW & DCL
September 2012---POR/ToT 10 Miler
hollieplus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #12
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph0808 View Post
I have the 110 and love it! It does do average pace per mile, though doesn't give instantaneous pace. The battery lasts for a long time (I charge mine like once every two weeks) and I got it on sale from Amazon for $150.
Same here...the 110 is awesome!
Old 11-01-2012, 08:52 AM   #13
buckeyecinderella
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollieplus2
I researched watches for awhile and ended up buying the Garmin 10. I'm a new runner and knew I didn't need all the bells & whistles. All I really wanted was time, distance, intervals and pace. I won't wear a heart rate monitor and I don't want a computer sitting on my wrist. I hadn't bought anything because nothing at the time was small & simple enough until I saw the 10. I jumped on it and you'll have to pry this baby out of my cold, dead hands. I LOVE the pink and the size and it does everything I needed. The only function I wanted that it doesn't do is the vibration alerts for intervals but you have to get the 610 if you want that and it's pricey. Just wanted to let you know or anyone else know that I'm super duper happy with the Garmin 10.
I am looking into the 10 as well. But I've read some reviews that the beeper isn't very loud. Do you find it difficult to hear the beep at every mile? Or do you find it difficult to hear the beep when your interval changes? I'm just wondering if I'll be able to hear it in races with all of the music, etc.
buckeyecinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #14
hollieplus2
Tags always make people happy
I kept saying chewable
My toes might appreciate some alone time

The only time I don't hear it is next to the train tracks. It's not very loud about as loud as my timex watch which was what I was using. I've never heard other Garmin watches so I can't compare it to anything.

July 2006---Pop, ASMovies, Animal Kingdom
September/October 2007---POFQ
December 2009---WDW & DCL
September 2012---POR/ToT 10 Miler
hollieplus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:22 AM   #15
Dennyha
DIS Veteran

I manually start and stop my 210/310 regularly, without resetting it. I then manually reset it before I start a new run.

IN THE BAG
Sept '83, May '89, Dec '91 (DL), June '93 (DL), June '95, Dec '97, June '98, Mar '05, Aug '05, June '06, July '06, Sept '06, Oct '06, Dec '06, Jan '07, Mar '07, May '07, Oct '07, Oct '07 (again), Dec '07, Jan '08, Feb '08, May '08, May '08, Aug '08, Jan '09, Feb '09, May '09, Aug '09, Jan '10, Feb '10, May '10, Oct '10, Jan '11, May '11, Aug '11, Nov '11, Jan '12, Mar '12, Nov '12, Jan '13, May '13, , Aug '13 (DL), Nov '13, Jan '14, May '14, Aug'14
ON THE HOOK
Nov '14, Jan '15
Dennyha is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: