Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
sdshutterbug
Mouseketeer

Canon 50mm f/1.8 AF on Dark Rides/Low Light

Hello All,

I've been really debating lately whether or not to purchase a Canon 50mm lens. I owned a 50mm f/1.7 lens when I shot Sony but when I switched to Canon I went for a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 because sometimes the 50 was too close. Anyways, I can't decide if I want to sell the Sigma for the 50 1.4, so I was thinking of just buying the 1.8 to go with the Sigma. I am worried about the AF hunting a lot in the dark, for example on dark rides. Anyone have experience with this lens that can tell me how well the AF does in these situations? My Minolta 50mm 1.7 lens was useless to AF in the dark.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:07 AM   #2
boBQuincy
I am not carrying three pods
There's something about the smell of the chemicals that just shouts "Photography!"

[QUOTE=sdshutterbug;47202960]Hello All,

I've been really debating lately whether or not to purchase a Canon 50mm lens. I am worried about the AF hunting a lot in the dark, for example on dark rides. QUOTE]

My experience with this lens (on a 30D and Xsi) is that it focuses ok in low light (like the skeletons in Pirates) but in really low light (like Peter Pan) it hunts and is too slow to focus. This lens is an old design and does not have ultrasonic focusing.

"Take the big pill, and go back to the SLR you know. Take the small micro 4/3 pill and you will never look at SLRs the same way again." a G3 and now a GX7. Photos at: suzieandbob.com

Our model monorail site: http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/

boBQuincy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 09:09 AM   #3
Frantasmic
*crickets*
I just tell everyone I'm the CPIC for the day

Second what Bob said. I had the 50 1.8 with a Canon XSi a few years back. I got some decent shots, but nothing wow-worthy. Probably that was related to my ability more than anything. It is a nice lens to have, but it will depend on your camera and ability regarding how great your shots will turn out.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
Patrick in Oregon
If you're going to be a goofball, you have to own it right?

This could be a really bad/dumb question...but wouldn't switching to MF solve your AF issues?
DW:
Cats:
----------
http://www.twitter.com/ptriz21 | http://www.instagram.com/ptriz21
Patrick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

There's a reason this is Canon's cheapest lens. I looked through Lightroom last night to see if I could find a few sample photos to post. The first thing I noticed is that I don't use this lens often. In fact, practically never.

I had a few photos from POTC that were OK, but nothing I'm particularly proud of. Focus isn't great on either of the two shots taken from the boat, and these are the best of the batch.

Caribbean Treasure by BirdsOfPreyDave, on Flickr

Caribbean Treasure by BirdsOfPreyDave, on Flickr

Pirate Skeleton by BirdsOfPreyDave, on Flickr

Caribbean Canon by BirdsOfPreyDave, on Flickr

If I had it to do again, I'd probably save myself the $100 and put it toward a better lens.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
pjacobi
DIS Veteran

Focus using IR beam from speedlite

If you have an external Canon speedlite you can disable the flash, but use the IR beam produced by the speedlite for focus.

-Paul
pjacobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
bob100
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdsOfPreyDave View Post
There's a reason this is Canon's cheapest lens. I looked through Lightroom last night to see if I could find a few sample photos to post. The first thing I noticed is that I don't use this lens often. In fact, practically never.

I had a few photos from POTC that were OK, but nothing I'm particularly proud of. Focus isn't great on either of the two shots taken from the boat, and these are the best of the batch.

If I had it to do again, I'd probably save myself the $100 and put it toward a better lens.
those pics were shot at 1/8, 1/15 at f1.8 - not the best settings for that lens!
Next time try increasing the ISO for a faster shutter speed and shoot at a smaller aperture, say at least f2.0

The 50mm 1.8 is a sharp inexpensive lens (only $60 used) but indoors I generally prefer a wider focal length

here's one with the "nifty fifty" - not at WDW but more of a portrait type shot

Canon Rebel XSi (450D)
50mm 1.8
f2.2

bob100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #8
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

I have and love my Canon 50mm f/1.8. I think it's the best bang for your buck lens Canon makes. However, it is a little long on a crop sensor and the AF does hunt like crazy in some low light... the kind of low light that's murky with no contrast and difficult to manually focus in as well. But if there's a lot of contrast or a good brightly lit area it focuses pretty well.

50mm f/1.8 on my Canon 50D.

And non Disney... Hand held on my 50D

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #9
sdshutterbug
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the information! I jumped on a pretty good deal on eBay, so I'll just have to try it out for myself, but it sounds like it won't be a replacement for my 30mm.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #10
bob100
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdshutterbug View Post
Thanks for all the information! I jumped on a pretty good deal on eBay, so I'll just have to try it out for myself, but it sounds like it won't be a replacement for my 30mm.
you'll likely use the 30mm more indoors but the 50 is good for portraits and other things.
bob100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: