Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
Jax1023
Mouseketeer

Limiting gear reccs.

So I'm leaving for the world next week- 1st trip for my 8 month old son. I am the photographer of the family and this is our first big trip with baby.

I have typically travelled with my entire array of camera gear- canon T1i, 18- 55 kit lens, 55-250 kit lens, Sigm 30mm f/1.4 and 11-16 UWA lens as well as my tripod, remote kit and various other pieces of camera gear.

I don't think I can handle all of that this trip- as the mom I also get to carry the baby paraphenelia so I'm not sure how to make it all work.

I'm thinking of just taking the camera, 18-55 and the 30mm. With a little baby I don't see us being in the parks late into the night to need the tripod.

Anyone think this is a good plan, or have suggestions for a different combo I should take?

Thanks!

Jax1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
havoc315
DIS Veteran

As all the equipment is potentially useful, I'd bring it all -- but leave most of it in the room.
Don't lug around the tripod, but you may want to use it in the evening at the resort.
Leave the telephoto lens in the room, but put it on the camera if you are doing the safari.
The 30mm on "dark ride" days.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
zackiedawg
WEDway Peoplemover Rider

I agree with the bringing it all, unless packing considerations for the trip make this difficult. If the problem is more about how to carry all this in the parks, then this would be my answer. I always bring all my gear with me, and the room becomes the home base - I work out of my huge camera backpack, and on any given day I might just bring the camera body and 1-3 lenses depending on what I think I need. I have 3 smaller bags of varying size I can use for each lens combo I decide on - one that fits just the camera and one lens, one that can fit up to 3 or 4 lenses or a second camera body, and one that can fit 6 or 7 lenses, or a second camera body and 2 lenses. Some days, I even just hang the camera around my neck with 1 lens and don't bring any bag at all.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
DSLRuser
Age is a state of mind

thats what is great about having a smaller baby. you have all the room in the world in the stroller. Just pak everything in back packs and make sur eit will fit under the stroller or on someones back.

i miss having smaller kids for this reason.
Port Orleans FQ x3
Coranado Springs
Caribbean Beach Club
Contemporary Resort
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yacht Club
Polynesian Resort
<<Disney Wonder>>
Marriot Sable Palms x 4
Marriot Royal Palms x 4
Bonnet Creek x 3
Marriot Cypress Harbor x 2
Marriot Grande Vista
DSLRuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Bring it all on the trip. You don't have to carry it all into the parks every day and it's a lot easier to retrieve a lens you need from the room than it is from home.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:00 PM   #6
SplashMo
DIS Veteran

I say just take the camera, 18-55 and the 30mm. Perfection.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Will it drive you nuts to go on the safari with only a 55mm lens?

Will it drive you nuts to be at Wishes and not have your tripod?

Are you the sort to kick yourself later for not having something along?

I agree with the others. Having a baby (and a stroller) makes it easier. What you need now is an old tripod you don't care about losing. So you can just throw it under the stroller and not give a second thought until it's time to use.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #8
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by caa1277 View Post
I've now leaned more toward the T4i. Some of my co-workers who have the T3i have been noticing more issues with it such as the sensor not functioning properly in colder temperatures, issues with the video feature and focusing issues. So, I think at this point I'm going to start looking harder at the T4i and see where I can find the best deal. I'd like to purchase a kit that comes with the standard lens and with a telephoto lens.
Not sure if this is what you meant, but the T3i does not autofocus for video. I have the T2i and am still considering the T4i for many reasons, including this one.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: