Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California) > Disneyland Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
cmpaige
Earning My Ears

Disney buying Lucasfilm

And no, this is apparently not a hoax:

http://www.sfgate.com/business/techn...on-3994041.php
cmpaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
madigraham
Mouseketeer

Just saw it on the news. Disney is gonna take over Star Wars movies. Seventh Star Wars!!!!!
Disney nerd forever

Next Disney World Visit: 8/5/14-8/15/14

August 2005- Contemporary Resort
June 2010- All Star Movies Resort
August 2014- All Star Sports Resort
madigraham is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
madigraham
Mouseketeer

And they bought marvel?!?! Holy moly
Disney nerd forever

Next Disney World Visit: 8/5/14-8/15/14

August 2005- Contemporary Resort
June 2010- All Star Movies Resort
August 2014- All Star Sports Resort
madigraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
Meech Loves Mickey
Mouseketeer

I'm not sure how I feel about this. This could either be the greatest or the worst thing to ever happen to Star Wars.

Of course this could also mean an entirely new Star Wars theme park for Disney!!!!!!

~ May 2014 WDW Bay Lake Tower
~ Feb 2014 Disneyland Resort (Solo Trip!)
~ May 2013 WDW Bay Lake Tower
~ Dec 2012 Disneyland & Disney California Adventure
~ May 2012 WDW Bay Lake Tower
~ Oct 2011 WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge & Dream Cruise
~ May 2011 WDW Swan
~ Dec 2010 WDW Coronado Springs
~ Sept 2009 WDW Port Orleans French Quarter
~ Oct 2008 WDW Hilton at Downtown Disney
~ Nov 2005 Disneyland
~ May 2002 WDW Off Property
~ March 2001 WDW Off Property
Meech Loves Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
Flynn_Rider
Beware of the Smolder

Third park, marvel, Lucas films, avatar!!! That'd be great!
Flynn_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
mysteriouspnai
DIS Veteran

I don't know if a 7th star wars movie is really necessary :/
mysteriouspnai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

If Lucas was going to sell, I'm glad Disney got it.

PHXscuba
PHXscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #8
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXscuba View Post
If Lucas was going to sell, I'm glad Disney got it.

PHXscuba
Same here!
Old 10-30-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
bakerudall
Real Boy

Woooohooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Here comes Episodes 7, 8, and 9, and more rides!
bakerudall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #10
Argento
Mouseketeer

I am actually crazy pumped about this and, as most of you seem to agree, the potential for new park attractions.

Wooooo!
Old 10-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #11
ManusDei
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteriouspnai View Post
I don't know if a 7th star wars movie is really necessary :/
No kidding lol. I'm not sure whether to be really excited or terribly concerned

From Disney's Blog:
Quote:
Bob Iger just announced that The Walt Disney Company is acquiring Lucasfilm – the global entertainment company founded by George Lucas and the home of the legendary Star Wars franchise. In addition to getting the rights to one of the greatest family franchises and epic stories of all time, Disney is also acquiring all of Lucasfilm’s operating businesses – including Industrial Light and Magic and Skywalker Sound.

Did you know? The Star Wars universe now has more than 17,000 characters inhabiting several thousand planets spanning 20,000 years. This gives Disney infinite inspiration and opportunities to continue the epic Star Wars saga. Fans can expect a new feature film, Star Wars Episode 7, in theaters worldwide in 2015. George Lucas will serve as creative consultant on the film and Kathleen Kennedy, the filmmaker George handpicked to lead Star Wars, Indiana Jones and the rest of Lucasfilm into the future will be the executive producer (she’s also joining Disney as president of Lucasfilm). With this many characters to develop and stories to tell, Disney plans to release a new Star Wars feature film every two or three years for the foreseeable future.
That clause is what bothers me. Episode 7 might be really awesome, but it also might further tarnish a great franchise the way a Toy Story 4 movie might (and arguably, the way Eps 1-3 already did, though I don't think they were THAT bad). Even so, If I open myself to the idea of Ep 7, Eps 8 and 9 become more acceptable, but what about after that? They can't just keep making movies, especially when Ep 7 is already a big risk. There's already enough spin-offs like the Clone Wars series, books, etc. At some point, enough is enough.

On the other hand, it'll be awesome to see what Disney can do with the franchises I already love. It's funny, just a couple years ago, two of my all-time favorite film franchises outside of Disney and Pixar (which also only recently became part of Disney) were Marvel and Indiana Jones (Star Wars is up there too). It's definitely really great to have all my favorites now under one roof!
ManusDei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:22 PM   #12
rowan1813
Disney Princess since birth

When I saw this on Facebook I just about .

I can't imagine Disney releasing a new Star Wars film every few years unless they totally do characters that have not been part of the canon. Harrison Ford, Mark Hamil, and Carrie Fisher are all quite a bit older than what they were in the 70s. There are books in the literature canon that would have been awesome to put into movies (the Tim Zahn trilogy and duology - anybody know them?) but those books and the canon after ROTJ relies heavily on the characters of Luke Skywalker, Leia Organa, and Han Solo. Who know though.

Can you imagine the amount of merchandise that will come out now that Disney fully owns the rights to Star Wars instead of just leasing/in collaboration?

rowan1813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:46 PM   #13
Argento
Mouseketeer

Piggybacking onto the summer's rumors of a big overhaul for Tomorrowland, I wonder if this purchase is the first step of the project? Also, think if imagineering were to take some of their concepts for Avatar-land and re-purpose them for an Endor theme. Could be great!
Old 10-30-2012, 11:11 PM   #14
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by madigraham View Post
And they bought marvel?!?! Holy moly
They bought Marvel in 2009. Innoventions will close in Feb., permanently, to make way for an E-ticket type ride themed to Iron Man, somehow. Something with Stark Ent. if I remember right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn_Rider View Post
Third park, marvel, Lucas films, avatar!!! That'd be great!
Third park was already in the talks before this deal. I once heard the 3rd park was to be themed to Toy Story, but with both parks already having a Toy Story ride, not really sure how that would work out. Would have been cool to have all the Pixar rides in one park.

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:13 AM   #15
bakerudall
Real Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowan1813 View Post
When I saw this on Facebook I just about .

I can't imagine Disney releasing a new Star Wars film every few years unless they totally do characters that have not been part of the canon. Harrison Ford, Mark Hamil, and Carrie Fisher are all quite a bit older than what they were in the 70s. There are books in the literature canon that would have been awesome to put into movies (the Tim Zahn trilogy and duology - anybody know them?) but those books and the canon after ROTJ relies heavily on the characters of Luke Skywalker, Leia Organa, and Han Solo. Who know though.

Can you imagine the amount of merchandise that will come out now that Disney fully owns the rights to Star Wars instead of just leasing/in collaboration?
The original actors could be used briefly as grandparents of new Jedi. Luke will need A LOT of makeup (sorry, Mr. Hamil). Han may still be able to do a stunt or two. I think many characters culled be pulled from current canon along with the creation of original grandchildren characters.

And about the merchandise--with this much money coming in from LucasArts and Marvel, maybe they could lower theme park admission prices. Not holding my breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argento View Post
Piggybacking onto the summer's rumors of a big overhaul for Tomorrowland, I wonder if this purchase is the first step of the project? Also, think if imagineering were to take some of their concepts for Avatar-land and re-purpose them for an Endor theme. Could be great!
I would LOVE it if they decided to scrap the Avatar Land idea at WDW and go with SW land. It would go great with SW weekends. Too bad it's in a galaxy far, far away from AZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneekrazee View Post
They bought Marvel in 2009. Innoventions will close in Feb., permanently, to make way for an E-ticket type ride themed to Iron Man, somehow. Something with Stark Ent. if I remember right.

Third park was already in the talks before this deal. I once heard the 3rd park was to be themed to Toy Story, but with both parks already having a Toy Story ride, not really sure how that would work out. Would have been cool to have all the Pixar rides in one park.
Yes, there are rumors about the Stark Expo taking the place of Innoventions. The third park was seriously discussed this summer by TDA to be a Marvel park. So why put Stark in TL? They should use my idea and turn Innoventions into the Death Star, along with my other ideas from February, found here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2886280

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManusDei View Post
No kidding lol. I'm not sure whether to be really excited or terribly concerned

From Disney's Blog:

That clause is what bothers me. Episode 7 might be really awesome, but it also might further tarnish a great franchise the way a Toy Story 4 movie might (and arguably, the way Eps 1-3 already did, though I don't think they were THAT bad). Even so, If I open myself to the idea of Ep 7, Eps 8 and 9 become more acceptable, but what about after that? They can't just keep making movies, especially when Ep 7 is already a big risk. There's already enough spin-offs like the Clone Wars series, books, etc. At some point, enough is enough.

On the other hand, it'll be awesome to see what Disney can do with the franchises I already love. It's funny, just a couple years ago, two of my all-time favorite film franchises outside of Disney and Pixar (which also only recently became part of Disney) were Marvel and Indiana Jones (Star Wars is up there too). It's definitely really great to have all my favorites now under one roof!
I was excited to see that Lucas would be a consultant on the next movie. He took on way too much for Episodes I-III when he should have trusted other experts to help more, especially with the writing, like he did for Empire Strikes Back. The drama and romance in that movie came from a hired gun. I would hope that Disney and the new executive producer that was mentioned will be able to do great things with the series. It worked for Star Trek.
bakerudall is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: